• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Such a good game - really hope this gets on to more people's radars.

Ooooo that little teaser at the end makes it look like they've expanded on the game as well! Exciting!

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Good. Another one of those console launch exclusives whose window has ended. Looking forward to playing it on PS4.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Ashen is AMAZING. Please don't miss this. It's a right treat and has the most wonderful soundtrack to boot.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
It's a completely average Souls clone. You're better off playing the real thing.

But really nice to have a DRM-free release.

prudis

Oct 25, 2017
CZ
wonder if they will finally fix the online .... from what i read its absolutely broken on Eggsy store

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Ashen doesn't quite live up to its full potential, but overall I really enjoyed the 10-15 hours I spent with it. I look forward to whatever the developers do next.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
ShrillInsecureIchneumonfly-size_restricted.gif

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did not see what the fuss was about with this one. Dark Souls without the level design.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Game started off great but FELL OFF A CLIFF around the middle. It became a bit too ridiculous with the lack of checkpoints and the bosses with massive health bars. I was upset because I really loved the first half of the game. Oh well. Still, glad it's coming to other systems.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
To the people that didn't play this because of EGS - are you still interested?

Honest question, I was interested until the exclusivity deal and now I'm not sure that I really care anymore a year later

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I remmber seeing this game described as an open world dark souls like, but didnt hear much about it after E3.May have a look at it.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Honest question, I was interested until the exclusivity deal and now I'm not sure that I really care anymore a year later

Nope. My backlog has gotten even bigger now so no point even looking at this anymore.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most bullshit final bosses I have ever played, but I defeated it by sheer stubbornness. The soundtrack is god tier.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Ashen and Below were sadly two of my biggest indie disappointments last year however, I am super glad more folks on other formats are able to play (and make their own minds up about) Ashen now.

The ridiculously big health bars for some of the bosses in the second half for the game, the slightly unremarkable visuals along with an unfriendly checkpoint system turned me away quite quickly...

I'll certainly be interested to see what the developers do next though!

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I hadn't gotten around to playing the Xbox version, but depending on how it turns out, I may end up checking it out on the Switch.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Everything right up until the final boss in this game is absolute gold, and worth your time.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's a completely average Souls clone. You're better off playing the real thing.

But really nice to have a DRM-free release.

Pretty much.

It's a Souls clone with objective markers and fetch quests progession. It has no identity of it's own nor does it do anything else well enough to stand out from the other clones.

The bosses are also pretty bad.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
I had a great time playing it coop with a friend (I've heard stories of people having trouble with the coop feature so I'll mention it, but for me it was super smooth).

So if the coop works, it's a cool game. There's nothing groundbreaking, but it's very much enjoyable all the way through.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

Still interested in it but if I get it depends on the price. It's not like the world stood still and no games released since last December.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Really great game until the last two boss fights sucking ass lol.

Still worth playing but I'd recommend not beating your head against those bosses if you get to them and stop having fun. I was stubborn and spent hours on them it it wasn't worth it.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Oh okay, I thought I was going to come in here and be an outlier and assumed this was an indie darling, but yes, I want to also echo my disappointment with this game.

It is a really, really bland retread of the most basic dark souls concepts and honestly isn't very fun. I was seriously unimpressed by it

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019

Depends on how much it'll cost. I watched people play Ashen a year ago when the game launched and it's quite average souls game.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Cool, have it on EGS but havnt played it yet.

Looking at the december schedule on Switch - this is probably the biggest name to release in December as of now. So unless something else shows up - this could do well on the Switch.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised at people calling it bland and uninspired. I guess if you're going in looking for a pure Soulslike gameplay experience then, yeah, it could be unremarkable. But I thought the game had a ton of heart and the world, the NPCs (that came back to your town and helped build it throughout the game!) and the cool Journey style drop-in/drop-out co-op stuff was really lovely. I'm such a huge fan of it.

Copying a couple paragraphs from Austin at Waypoint. It made it onto his top ten of last year. His chat on the podcast sold me on it really.

When I've played games like Nioh, I find myself running weird purity tests. Is its expanded take on loot a betrayal of the focused core of the Souls gear system? How does its "ki pulse" fit into the tried-and-true, stamina-driven combat model? What the hell are these cutscenes?

The greatest indicator of Ashen's strength is that, while it constantly drew on the same lineage of games, it never made me ask those sorts of questions. Instead, I was taken by its divergences: the openness of many of its areas, its optimistic attitude, the ease and joy of its… platforming?

It's a reminder that there isn't only one lesson to learn from a game as influential as Dark Souls, and that the world of games is bolder and broader when we diverge .

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This game is currently $40/£33.

Hopefully Annapurna knows what to do. I'll give it a spin when it's half that price.