• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to some Homestuck musics before suddenly wondering how big the soundtrack exactly was. Thanks to someone who made a playlist with every single music, I got the answer : exactly 474. Since I didn't read the entirety of Homestuck, I can't say if they're all composed for the game or if it's using a lot of remix. Still, I don't think I've seen a game with a bigger original soundtrack than this, so I was wondering : is it really the biggest one, and if so, which game come the closest to this number ?
Any examples of games with a particularly big number of original music are welcomed too, I'm really curious about that.

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017
Witcher 3 has like 8 hours
Skyward Sword and TP are up there

So is smash bros

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash 4 on Wii U has 507 musics listed but I believe not even half of them are original.
FFXIV is listed with 329 tracks here but I assume it's the original and A Realm Reborn combined ? If it isn't, then it's a pretty huge amount.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Runescape? It had over a thousand last time i played lol. I think i even read somewhere they got a guiness world record recently for having the most unique music pieces in a game.

Zanasea

Oct 28, 2017
France
I own what I believe to be a 5-disc set of FFX music.
Actually, the FFX soundtrack was a 4-disc set. The biggest Final Fantasy soundtrack was FFIX, with 5 discs and around 150/160 tracks.

Wild Arms 5 has a 6-disc soundtrack (in two volumes), but with 109 tracks.

Then there's Okami, a 5-disc set with 219 tracks (but there are many jingles and short themes).

And then, there's FFXIV: it received the record for "Most original pieces of music in a videogame" from the Guinness Book, with 384 individual pieces of music as of November 2016 (so before Stormblood added even more tracks).

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
A current Beatmania IIDX cabinet is going to have over 1,000 playable songs on it, and that's not factoring in all of the songs that have been cut over the years for one reason or another. Some of them are licensed (or pulled from other games) but the vast majority of them are made specifically for the game.

It's kind of crazy to think about, even though it's built up that song list over the last 20 (!!) years.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Runescape? It had over a thousand last time i played lol. I think i even read somewhere they got a guiness world record recently for having the most unique music pieces in a game.

Okay, I think we got a winner over there. According to this list, Runescape has exactly 1202 different tracks, as of yesterday.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Well, World of Warcraft has 547 in this list, but scrolling through it it seems that there is nothing from the current expansion in there. Now mind, most themes have several variations. A good example of what I mean would be this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD-S0ESVk74

The main theme only lasts for around a minute, but it has several variations. More chants, less chants, a bit different tunes etc. And this is true for pretty much every theme.

Nov 6, 2017
Well, World of Warcraft has 547 in this list, but scrolling through it it seems that there is nothing from the current expansion in there. Now mind, most themes have several variations. A good example of what I mean would be this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD-S0ESVk74

The main theme only lasts for around a minute, but it has several variations. More chants, less chants, a bit different tunes etc. And this is true for pretty much every theme.

This is correct. Nothing beats it.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I think we got a winner over there. According to this list, Runescape has exactly 1202 different tracks, as of yesterday.
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...-most-original-pieces-of-music-in-a-videogame

Yup it's true googled a bit and looked @ the world record website. I don't play it anymore but the music was indeed mostly unique a few tracks are remixes of older ones but it's mostly unique. Had a maxed account on there but quit recently.

FF14 was the previous record holder.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
If we're bringing up MMOs, this playlist puts the Maplestory soundtrack at 622 songs, though some of those are spread across the various regional versions of the game.