• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's worked pretty flawlessly for me. PC has had major issues though.

Try it near a ritual stone, it won't work in Vagrant's Rest (the town itself), you have to be at roughly the same point in the story (i.e. which bosses you've beaten).

Beyond that, wouldn't know what to recommend. It can be convoluted admittedly, but A44 have decided the passive MP experiences are worth more then the simplicity of adding friends directly.

I get why passive is cool for when you aren't playing with a friend. Or for a game where it makes sense like Journey. But by default, in this game you always have someone with you whether it's a real person or an AI. Even dark souls makes sense since you are summoning some other soul into your own game. The fact that they needed to release an FAQ tells you whatever they were going for needed to be explained better.

Oct 26, 2017
I watched the IGN review but I still don't know if this is fully co-op or not. Can I just invite a buddy and go or do you randomly meet them. Or perhaps it's more like Dark Souls where you can online invite them at certain moments or something? Normally I am ALL for SP but for some reason I think I want to play this in co-op.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Most people have said 15-20 hours on average to clear everything.The xbox does normally track playtime, just go to the Game Hub for each title, it'll have a leaderboard.

Recently they changed they system so developers aren't required to track the playtime anymore. Ashen seems to be one of those games that only tracks Achievements now.

I watched the IGN review but I still don't know if this is fully co-op or not. Can I just invite a buddy and go or do you randomly meet them. Or perhaps it's more like Dark Souls where you can online invite them at certain moments or something? Normally I am ALL for SP but for some reason I think I want to play this in co-op.

Normally it's like in Journey. You have an NPC with you (one of the quest givers from your hub) and he automatically gets replaced with a players who is in the same area as you with the same progress. However, you can put in a password much like in Bloodborne for example so that you can play with specific people. I'm not sure if you still have to be at a similiar point in the story but I'd assume so. You can play the full game this way, only the Hub World where you "level up", get quests and talk to people is instanced for single player.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still confused on how re spawning enemies works. I had enemies in that rampart area near where you hunt the three wolves respawn literally moments after clearing them out. Is it due to me getting pulled into someone else's game as a companion without realizing it? Pretty annoying to get jumped by enemies I thought were dead...

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... I did another dungeon last night. And it was fucking looooong. I don't think this style of game really suits really fucking long dungeons like that. One mistake and starting over would be a nightmare.

I can't even imagine how stressful the next dungeon(s) will be.

I still have to go back because I seemed to always choose the path that led to the boss, but there were a lot of other paths I could have taken that I'm sure had a ton of secrets.

Still torn on whether or not I should try upgrading one of 15 1H axes I've found. Their damage is always lower, but have a higher crit rating. Just not sure that makes up for the decreased damage.

Also when you're looking at the stats of a weapon, there are 2 damage numbers. I assume they are light and strong attack numbers, right? Or is the higher number the crit damage?

Oct 26, 2017
Recently they changed they system so developers aren't required to track the playtime anymore. Ashen seems to be one of those games that only tracks Achievements now.

Normally it's like in Journey. You have an NPC with you (one of the quest givers from your hub) and he automatically gets replaced with a players who is in the same area as you with the same progress. However, you can put in a password much like in Bloodborne for example so that you can play with specific people. I'm not sure if you still have to be at a similiar point in the story but I'd assume so. You can play the full game this way, only the Hub World where you "level up", get quests and talk to people is instanced for single player.

That sounds good to me! Kinda cool to first try it out with a stranger and see how that goes and if that's not too great I'll just put in the password. I don't have a PS4, so no Bloodborne for me, but putting in that password would mean I can invite someone from my friend list?

Oct 28, 2017
That fucking trek to get to the Shadow of Ashen is an absolute pisstake. I just about managed to get through it all first attempt but that's only because I luckily had a talisman equipped that slowly regenerates health. Had I not have I would have died, and I'll tell you this; if I had died the game would have been instantly uninstalled.

Have the sadistic bastards never heard of shortcuts?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Also when you're looking at the stats of a weapon, there are 2 damage numbers. I assume they are light and strong attack numbers, right? Or is the higher number the crit damage?

Yup.

I like to roll with a higher crit weapons personally. I like that it shows when it triggers with a little flourish effect.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just did Seat of the Matriarch last night. I didn't even realize it was that dungeon because I heard it was difficult. I didn't have any trouble at all. I played extra careful because I didn't want to lose my monies.

If I didn't have an AI helper though... fuck that.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I just did Seat of the Matriarch last night. I didn't even realize it was that dungeon because I heard it was difficult. I didn't have any trouble at all. I played extra careful because I didn't want to lose my monies.

If I didn't have an AI helper though... fuck that.
The game really rewards patient play. I didn't have a problem with SotM either, but I was carefully looking around each corner and kiting enemies one at a time where possible.

That fucking trek to get to the Shadow of Ashen is an absolute pisstake. I just about managed to get through it all first attempt but that's only because I luckily had a talisman equipped that slowly regenerates health. Had I not have I would have died, and I'll tell you this; if I had died the game would have been instantly uninstalled.

Have the sadistic bastards never heard of shortcuts?
Over half of that dungeon is completely optional (especially if you're full up on sapient root), and once you know where all the enemies are you can run through it pretty fast. It's meant to be a test of endurance, which I think makes a fun contrast to the open world areas that you can chip away at.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm still confused on how re spawning enemies works. I had enemies in that rampart area near where you hunt the three wolves respawn literally moments after clearing them out. Is it due to me getting pulled into someone else's game as a companion without realizing it? Pretty annoying to get jumped by enemies I thought were dead...

I think that's exactly what is happening and yes, it's annoying. Luckily this happened a few times in easier areas before realizing that I had to be on my toes.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game really rewards patient play. I didn't have a problem with SotM either, but I was carefully looking around each corner and kiting enemies one at a time where possible.
Yeah... throwing spears got me through the tougher aspects of that dungeon. The boss fight felt extremely difficult though... and I think my AI companion did most of the work while I distracted the boss. Any time I got close, I did next to no damage and his attacks had a massive AOE. I didn't want to risk dying just to learn the dodge timings.... although it wouldn't have been too bad since there was a save point nearby.

If there are dungeons much longer than that though... yikes.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have multiplayer turned off and I still get rapidly respawning enemies.

(didn't mean to double post... whoops)

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I quickly tried spears yesterday but it felt janky...how do you actually throw and aim them,the regular attack uses it as a melee,... L2 To aim or r1 throw r2 attack...?

Had a good real player and we cleaned up the path toward Eila's quest
Boss that releases the PuP for fast travel,it was great,we jumped for 10 seconds lol

I failed at my first 2 attempts solo.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Do you ever get the option to upgrade/improve shields? I've been upgrading my weapons/gourd for a while, but I'd really like to bump up my shield stats a bit.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
No. You find a few better ones as the game goes on, but I think the devs want you to play without shielding for most of the game.

Oh. That's kind of a bummer. I've got a decent one now (a round one with a bit torn off at the bottom, can't remember the name) and I doubt I'll ever not use it. I'm too clumsy at these kinds of games to be able to rely on dodging alone.

I don't think I've used a two-handed weapon for more than a few minutes. The wind-ups are really slow, and the enemies are really fast.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I know that, I always skip the 4 platforms. The problem is coming exactly after that part for me, those little enemies are real assholes, especially when they are in group.
Finally completed this dungeon, mostly thanks to a guy that joined my session and helped me, felt a bit like cheating but I don't care lol

Just unlocked the new ability with the spear, it's cool as fuck. I'm loving the game.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
No. You find a few better ones as the game goes on, but I think the devs want you to play without shielding for most of the game.

I'm finding the opposite... the shields in this game just seem too good to ignore. They offer extreme protection with very little downsides, it's like Dark Souls shields made even easier. My damage is going further because I'm rocking survivors rags still thanks to full mitigation in the shield (even on bosses) so I can hit 8+ times with my 1h club if needed.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Oh. That's kind of a bummer. I've got a decent one now (a round one with a bit torn off at the bottom, can't remember the name) and I doubt I'll ever not use it. I'm too clumsy at these kinds of games to be able to rely on dodging alone.

I don't think I've used a two-handed weapon for more than a few minutes. The wind-ups are really slow, and the enemies are really fast.
Yeah, that's how I thought I'd want to play at first, but I later decided the extra range and damage was worth it. Especially when I got the talisman that halves your sprinting stamina penalty, so you can just sprint into a scene and tap R1 for a quick spin attack that covers a lot of ground.

Not to pull a "git gud", but the last quarter of the game is very frequently in unlit areas where you'll need ready access to your lantern. So even with a one-handed weapon you'll have to spend some time without a shield.

I'm finding the opposite... the shields in this game just seem too good to ignore. They offer extreme protection with very little downsides, it's like Dark Souls shields made even easier. My damage is going further because I'm rocking survivors rags still thanks to full mitigation in the shield (even on bosses) so I can hit 8+ times with my 1h club if needed.
Oh, really? That's good. I'm glad you're making it work!

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yeah, that's how I thought I'd want to play at first, but I later decided the extra range and damage was worth it. Especially when I got the talisman that halves your sprinting stamina penalty, so you can just sprint into a scene and tap R1 for a quick spin attack that covers a lot of ground.

Not to pull a "git gud", but the last quarter of the game is very frequently in unlit areas where you'll need ready access to your lantern. So even with a one-handed weapon you'll have to spend some time without a shield.

I'm glad at least that it's really quick and easy to switch between shield and lantern.

Anyway, I might try to get more comfortable with the two-handers. Thanks for the info!

benj

Oct 27, 2017
boy, the roll your character does out of a long jump if they fall far enough sure makes some of the platforming sections less fun. especially since it's an instant death if you weren't accounting for/expecting it

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Beat it. Ended up running through the palace and the last area, beating the two final bosses. I think they were made easier though because I had a human co-op buddy.

The Ashen prince guy seems like he would have been super tough solo, what with
the adds.

The ending was super abrupt, lol, cribbing from Dark Souls again I imagine.

Overall I had a great time though. It's a lighter and thinner Souls experience and dare I say, more happy?

Couple adds:
1) Shame there's no new game plus mode. I know Sissna is a harder mode but I'd like to take my stuff.
2) I wish your co-op buddy appeared as themselves when it was a real person. I like the different outfits but it's a shame we never get to show them off to other people.
3) A no hud option would be cool because I like snapping pics of this awesome looking world.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can I get an estimate on roughly how far I am? I just unlocked fast travel after beating the second boss.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it just now. Really enjoyed it overall. Here's to hoping it's successful enough to potentially get a sequel with a slightly larger scope.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Nearing the end. I've completed all the side quests I can - and I only have the last dungeon left to tackle. Feeling a little bummed about wrapping this up. It's kind of come out of nowhere and blind sided me with how enjoyable the whole thing has been.

Oct 18, 2018
Liking the game so far, aside from when the AI is suddenly replaced by an actual person on the other side of the map.

I do have a question though, was wondering if someone could answer it without giving too much away. I am looking for Flokir's tools, but the road is blocked right now. Is that progression based or am I missing something?

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Liking the game so far, aside from when the AI is suddenly replaced by an actual person on the other side of the map.

I do have a question though, was wondering if someone could answer it without giving too much away. I am looking for Flokir's tools, but the road is blocked right now. Is that progression based or am I missing something?
Progression based .

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not really revealing anything more than other people have in the thread but mid game spoilers below!

I've got through and beaten the hard area that people were commenting on over the last couple of pages. I found the atmosphere of it pretty opressive and the discordant "music" was very unsettling (but in a good way). Ive definitely been getting the same feelings as dark souls, exploring a scary and dangerous space, where it's easy to fall or get mobbed.

Unlocked the next travel ability and only just started experimenting with that. Looks like it opens up a ton of options and areas I've previously covered.

Looking for forwards to more!

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, Seat of the Matriarch is demolishing me. Made no progress at all last night, will have to try again tonight.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Well you can put down the lantern, so it's still possible to enjoy a sword'n'board playthrough, just without swords ;)

Captain Goodnight

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone confirm that PC multiplayer is fully fixed and running well?

What would be the best way to do local co-op if I only have PCs (desktop and laptop)?

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Just arrived at the broken path (not sure if it's called like this in english), what a fucking beatiful game.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, that last boss. Made a few attempts, only to get my ass handed to me...

Finally got them down, and then, of course there is a second phase. I'd already burned through most of my healing at that point. Definitely going to need to play more conservatively during the first phase now.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
What happens when your AI dies? He need to go back to a save spot for him/her to spawn again right?

Captain Goodnight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been burnt already by the likes of Lords of the Fallen but am hopeful based on these impressions............does Ashen really rise to the level of Dark Souls in terms of feel (tightness of controls, enemy reactions & diversity, exploration etc.) and in terms of satisfaction, longevity, overall enjoyment?

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I've been burnt already by the likes of Lords of the Fallen but am hopeful based on these impressions............does Ashen really rise to the level of Dark Souls in terms of feel (tightness of controls, enemy reactions & diversity, exploration etc.) and in terms of satisfaction, longevity, overall enjoyment?
It's a light version of Dark souls with a great atmosphere. I'm enjoying it way more than LotF.

Captain Goodnight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a light version of Dark souls with a great atmosphere. I'm enjoying it way more than LotF.

Great to hear ; by "light", do you mean easier or just more lighthearted or less dark in terms of art style, setting etc.? Is multiplayer the preferred way to play or is solo more satisfying (the way it sometimes is with the Souls series)?

Oct 25, 2017
12 hours in, just got to The Gnaw.

Honestly, kind of sick of the game at this point. Last dungeon was pretty annoying, and this next one seems like more of the same bullshit with witch spam everywhere. I was loving it until just after the Matriarch, then the whole game went downhill fucking fast for me. I hope I'm near the end, because I'm basically checked out at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.