• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good that the reviews so far have been positive, but in any case I wouldn't trust reviewers with this genre, especially after what they did to Darksiders 3 (and the surge, for that matter).

Look forward to diving in. Wish I had an Xbox (so I could play it via gamepass). First time I've thought that in the last 5 years

Last edited:

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Does anyone recommend keeping the default Y for jumping? I'm assuming it won't matter much in this game since you won't be jumping much?

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
It's good that the reviews so far have been positive, but in any case I wouldn't trust reviewers with this genre, especially after what they did to Darksiders 3.

Look forward to diving in. Wish I had an Xbox (so I could play it via gamepass). First time I've thought that in the last 5 years

You'll be thinking it more in the future but by then you'll be able to join in off mobile using xCloud. ; )

Btw, what did reviewers do to Darkriders 3? Unfair and ridiculous scores? I haven't looked at any of them as to not spoil things.

I dislike that Ashen doesn't have swords btw

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll be thinking it more in the future but by then you'll be able to join in off mobile using xCloud. ; )

Btw, what did reviewers do to Darkriders 3? Unfair and ridiculous scores? I haven't looked at any of them as not to spoil things.

I dislike that Ashen doesn't have swords btw

I don't really want to litigate any individual review, but in general Darksiders 3 got much lower review scores than I think it deserves. Same holds true for The Surge. Really -- anything that's not the standard crap -- they'll have a good chance of not understanding it. Alien Isolation got the D from several major outlets like Polygon and Gamespot despite being very nearly a masterpiece.

Ashen isn't something they can quickly toss in a box so it's totally up in the air whether they'll kneecap it. Signs are good so far, though.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I don't really want to litigate any individual review, but in general Darksiders 3 got much lower review scores than I think it deserves. Same holds true for The Surge. Really -- anything that's not the standard crap -- they'll have a good chance of not understanding it. Alien Isolation got the D from several major outlets like Polygon and Gamespot despite being very nearly a masterpiece.

Ashen isn't something they can quickly toss in a box so it's totally up in the air whether they'll kneecap it. Signs are good so far, though.

Ah I had a feeling. It's always felt the Darksiders games have gotten an unfair shake from reviews, sales or both overall to me so I had a thought this would be the same. I can't wait to play it soon.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing since the moment the awards show ended, holy hell I am so in love with this game. The art style, the world itself, the characters and enemies so far, everything is so freakin cool.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I need to update my quick thoughts after beating my first boss: the game isn't cool, it's like hydro94530 said: absolutely incredible.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
That's really good to read. I remember all the doubt people were giving this, and honestly every game in the series before they launched only for them to end up with egg on their faces when they played and loved them. I expect this to be no different. : )

Exactly. It's currently better than 2 for me and getting up there where 1 one is. Unless it shits the bed later on, it's going to be a classic for me.

Also Ashen looks interesting. Never heard of it before (I don't think anyways) but the good reviews and what I've seen have my attention lol.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Exactly. It's currently better than 2 for me and getting up there where 1 one is. Unless it shits the bed later on, it's going to be a classic for me.

That's some good company if it's as good as 2 and 1. I think part 2 get's a bad rap from some but there are parts of it I loved more than 1 honestly even though I think they're both stellar games.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Everything about this looks SO damn good. Couldn't wait a single moment longer so downloading from Epic Store...

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
That's some good company if it's as good as 2 and 1. I think part 2 get's a bad rap from some but there are parts of it I loved more than 1 honestly even though I think they're both stellar games.

I totally agree. 2 was fantastic, I just didn't like the loot aspect (thankfully gone in 3) and the last couple of worlds were pretty barren. But yeah you're gonna love it if you love the first 2!

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I totally agree. 2 was fantastic, I just didn't like the loot aspect (thankfully gone in 3) and the last couple of worlds were pretty barren. But yeah you're gonna love it if you love the first 2!

Nice. Can't wait. Thanks for the feedback. : )

Anyone play with the character creation in Ashen yet? If so, how deep is it? Is it fairly bare bones or can we create someone really unique looking?

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Only got to play around an hour and ended up losing souls to a pretty cool enemy. Would keep playing if I didn't have work in the morning.

REALLY digging it so far.

Character creation is pretty simple Super Havoc

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game looks great on X. Great music, too. I like the AI partner you have in the beginning!
It is a bit distracting how derivative it is of Souls, but I guess that's fine. I think I'll play this more!

How do you tell your AI partner to follow you? After the first mission, he just kneels in camp. I accepted his side quest, how can I get him to follow me?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded it right as TGA finished, will have to give it a shot this weekend if I find the time.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see a big(ish) game from New Zealand. The NZ/AU dev scene is 99% free to play mobile guff

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions of this on an Xbox One S? Having just finished Darksiders 3, I'd like to jump into another action game.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if I'll enjoy this game?
- Not into Dark Souls/Bloodborne
- Primarily enjoy single player games
- Love games with great stories, atmospheres, exploration, and I enjoy a variety of combat. I don't enjoy super hard games.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I've been curious since it was first revealed in... 2014? It was a while ago for sure. Happy to try it on Game Pass.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
Played for about 4 hours and i like it. The world is way more open than i expected. I like how the town that you claim develops more as you progress trough the game and recruit town npc's. Reminds me of Dark Cloud. Can't comment on multiplayer as i have yet to come across other players.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Is it just me or the Epic Games app automatically tries to download Fortnite when I sign in? What the fuck.
Edit: can anyone playing on PC confirm if 21:9 is supported?

Last edited:

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Looking forward to playing this with mates tonight, will be the first souls like duo for a few of us.

Wonder if they took the deal to have it in game pass and drop Play Anywhere to do so.

Seems like they have their foot off PA at the mo.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Just played a bit. game is awesome. Problem is I have so many good games now to play during XMas holiday that I am totally confused.

Pity that Epic hijacked this, would love to play on PC and my X1X. I guess for now it is X1X only.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played almost two hours.
  • It's very good.
  • It's Dark Souls if Dark Souls had quests and quest markers. The controls and combat are on point and both are extremely similar to Souls.
  • The story is boring fantasy gobbledygook, but it doesn't waste much of my time with it so it's no big deal. Some of the VO is corny as hell.
  • So far I always have some AI with me killing everything. It reminded me of Kirby on Switch with how the game wants to play itself. For me personally this is a negative (so far), because it removes some of the atmosphere of the experience and lessens my connection to the game because I'm not setting the pace. Everywhere I go some dude is with me just killing everything. I imagine this will be a positive for a lot of players, though, especially those unfamiliar with Souls. Make no mistake, the AI character is a beast and makes the game a lot easier than it otherwise would be.
  • There's still some challenge if you stray off the main path, though. I wandered into a cave near the start where the enemies were one hit killing me.
Seems like a great game overall.

Last edited:

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Played almost two hours.
  • So far I always have some AI with me killing everything. It reminded me of Kirby on Switch with how the game wants to play itself. For me personally this is a negative (so far), because it removes some of the atmosphere of the experience and lessens my connection to the game because I'm not setting the pace. Everywhere I go some dude is with me just killing everything. I imagine this will be a positive for a lot of players, though, especially those unfamiliar with Souls. Make no mistake, the AI character is a beast and makes the game a lot easier than it otherwise would be.
Hint: check the ingame multiplayer settings menu. Might see something you'd like relating the AI companions. :)

Last edited:

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Played almost two hours.
  • It's very good.
  • It's Dark Souls if Dark Souls had quests and quest markers. The controls and combat are on point and both are extremely similar to Souls.
  • The story is boring fantasy gobbledygook, but it doesn't waste much of my time with it so it's no big deal. Some of the VO is corny as hell.
  • There's still some challenge if you stray off the main path, though. I wandered into a cave near the start where the enemies were one hit killing me.
Wait, can't you play in solo mode if you are offline?

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017

Dark Souls with map, objective markers and an AI companion that kills almost everything in your path by itself if you let it? oh I think most will lap this up alright.. why it's already got EG's Recommended badge..

..meanwhile poor Darksiders 3 :(

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Dark Souls with map, objective markers and an AI companion that kills almost everything in your path by itself if you let it? oh I think most will lap this up alright.. why it's already got EG's Recommended badge..

..meanwhile poor Darksiders 3 :(
Lol if you are not dark sousl, an interconnected world is a malus for the reviewers.
Thats modern reviewing for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.