• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Ashen feels worse then LotF by far, the art style is a little more inspired but the controls are stiff, clunky and often unresponsive...i can't count how many times ive run around in circles / back and forth / against a wall etc. trying to get a "suggest assisted climb?" or "jump" prompt to show up...ive also had it show up at times when it was clearly not supposed to be used, proceeded to use it and clipped through the world. On a separate occasion I also remember getting respawned after a death inside of one of those traveling stones where i remained stuck for 30 minutes until the game decided to fart me out... I would have restarted the game but since the stones are the auto save locations and i was inside of one, the game was in an endless save loop and i was worried i would just load up back in the rock..i tried jumping, rolling, running etc with no luck for a few min and then like i said, the game just decided to fart me out. After all that i wouldn't say the game feels like shit, but if i had to pick which experience has felt better, so far id have to go with LoTF.
boy, you really shoulda tried restarting the game earlier

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Man this game went to hell fast...your companion is completly useless in the Whispers because of all the vertical stuff and you get swarmed from everywhere,plus the constant threat of drowning,this is for the Kill Ake quest,I tried reach Bol quest and if you look at the ugly map,it looks like straight down the road but no,its blocked...guess I will try the main quest from Bataran to see if I actually make progress otherwise its bye bye Ashen...there is already less people joining,probably because of how hard it is for a lot of people who tried it since it's on Gamepass...and I am not even on that Matriach dungeon lol...oh well,had fun while it lasted.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really love the atmosphere of the game. The constant subtle music playing. The art style is great. It's a really solid game and it's crazy that i get to play it for free with gamepass

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Man this game went to hell fast...your companion is completly useless in the Whispers because of all the vertical stuff and you get swarmed from everywhere,plus the constant threat of drowning,this is for the Kill Ake quest,I tried reach Bol quest and if you look at the ugly map,it looks like straight down the road but no,its blocked...guess I will try the main quest from Bataran to see if I actually make progress otherwise its bye bye Ashen...there is already less people joining,probably because of how hard it is for a lot of people who tried it since it's on Gamepass...and I am not even on that Matriach dungeon lol...oh well,had fun while it lasted.

I'm doing that quest now!

.... hard game ;)

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
The Palace dungeon is on a whole different level... longer and harder than Seat of the Matriarch IMO. It feels huge when you are exploring every corner, but once you know where to go it's not too bad to run back and get your souls. A few big groups to fight though, some of those group combos are tough!

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
The Palace dungeon is on a whole different level... longer and harder than Seat of the Matriarch IMO. It feels huge when you are exploring every corner, but once you know where to go it's not too bad to run back and get your souls. A few big groups to fight though, some of those group combos are tough!
I always kite one or two of the people in tough groups by using spears. Seems to work out pretty well.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I always kite one or two of the people in tough groups by using spears. Seems to work out pretty well.

Yeah, that is usually my strategy, but there are a few groups where they like to stick together. There are some with the red eye shadow people, ninja with a club, and a big guy with an axe. Even though I have heavy armour and pretty high health (every quest done + 5% hp talisman), those axe guys can nearly 2 shot me. I sure hope there is a resting stone in this place!

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Yeah, that is usually my strategy, but there are a few groups where they like to stick together. There are some with the red eye shadow people, ninja with a club, and a big guy with an axe. Even though I have heavy armour and pretty high health (every quest done + 5% hp talisman), those axe guys can nearly 2 shot me. I sure hope there is a resting stone in this place!
There is but it's right before the boss fight, even closer than in SotM.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Finished the palace and the boss of that dungeon. First part of the game that I actually disliked, I thought it was really unfun. Dying in the palace feels terrible because it's so long (I died twice after spending 30+ minutes in it each time), so it made me just want to bum-rush through it after a while.

Once you do finally get to the checkpoint you're treated to a boss that isn't fun to fight, has too much HP, and has adds that you can't really prevent or control because they simply spawn too fast. Really did not have fun with this boss at all.

I thought about going back to town to upgrade my weapons, too, but knowing I'd have to trek through the entire dungeon again if I did that prevented me from going that route. Not a fun decision to have to make, there, either.

Eventually banged my head against the boss long enough to beat it but man, that was not a good boss battle.

Last edited:

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the palace and the boss of that dungeon. First part of the game that I actually disliked, I thought it was really unfun. Dying in the palace feels terrible because it's so long (I died twice after spending 30+ minutes in it each time), so it made me just want to bum-rush through it after a while.

Once you do finally get to the checkpoint you're treated to a boss that isn't fun to fight, has too much HP, and has adds that you can't really prevent or control because they simply spawn too fast. Really did not have fun with this boss at all.

I thought about going back to town to upgrade my weapons, too, but knowing I'd have to trek through the entire dungeon again if I did that prevented me from going that route. Not a fun decision to have to make, there, either.

Eventually banged my head against the boss long enough to beat it but man, that was not a good boss battle.

What were you using for a weapon? I was thinking of going back to ugprade, but not doing too bad. I have one I picked up in the prior area, Outcasts Lament I think? Up to +5, 1 handed, I want to say it's 178 damage on a light attack and the stam consumption is pretty low. I've finally found some of the things to get it past +5, but unsure if I should complete the Palace first if there is a better weapon in it.

Also, is there a max to the number of times you can infuse the Crimson Gourd? Not the swigs, I have that at +8, but the power of the heal. I've dumped what feels like a ton into it, I think the next upgrade is almost 50 K, but there is no indication what (if any) the max is...

Last edited:

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What were you using for a weapon? I was thinking of going back to ugprade, but not doing too bad. I have one I picked up in the prior area, Outcasts Lament I think? Up to +5, 1 handed, I want to say it's 178 damage on a light attack and the stam consumption is pretty low. I've finally found some of the things to get it past +5, but unsure if I should complete the Palace first if there is a better weapon in it.

Also, is there a max to the number of times you can infuse the Crimson Gourd? Not the swigs, I have that at +8, but the power of the heal. I've dumped what feels like a ton into it, I think the next upgrade is almost 50 K, but there is no indication what (if any) the max is...

My one handed weapon was +3, but I'm unsure how much +4 or +5 would have helped. The damage against the boss just felt really low overall.

The 50k upgrade is the last one iirc. There is a max - I had my goard maxed out by that point!

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the game, really enjoyed it. I would give it a 8/10. Great atmosphere and ost, exploring the world was good. I think that the game could have used more boss fights and more interesting enemies to fight tho.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The last boss is essentially broken with the shitty AI, and the online still isn't working right for me on PC.

The end of the game is proving to be very frustrating.

Edit: Wait that wasn't the last boss... now I'm at the last boss. meh, this run back to the fight every time isn't fun.
Dark Souls could get away with this kind of shit because of the shortcuts and world design, but this is some bullshit.

Last edited:

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
My one handed weapon was +3, but I'm unsure how much +4 or +5 would have helped. The damage against the boss just felt really low overall.

The 50k upgrade is the last one iirc. There is a max - I had my goard maxed out by that point!

It's a bit like Dark Souls, where each individual upgrade isn't a huge difference, so +3 to +4 wouldn't seem huge. But +3 to +7 would be a decent increase. It basically took 1 hit off of the trash mobs in the Palace for me (IE: it used to take 5 swings to kill the enemy, now it takes 4) going from +5 to +7.

I finally made it past that final group, I can't believe how close I was to the ritual stone, it was literally just right up those stairs the entire time ;). Got a try in on the boss, almost got him down first try but I'll hit it up some more tonight.

Got the max Gourd health buff as well, you were correct, when I was saying there seemed like no end to the upgrades I was already on the last one, it now says "max upgraded".

This is definitely spoilery, but if you don't mind that, someone on Reddit started making a spreadsheet with the different weapons, armours, upgrades, etc:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AshenTheGa...base_and_misc_info/?utm_source=reddit-android

The last boss is essentially broken with the shitty AI, and the online still isn't working right for me on PC.

The end of the game is proving to be very frustrating.

Edit: Wait that wasn't the last boss... now I'm at the last boss. meh, this run back to the fight every time isn't fun.
Dark Souls could get away with this kind of shit because of the shortcuts and world design, but this is some bullshit.

Yeah,. I'm not there yet (home stretch, I think), but that is one thing I really miss from Dark Souls. Opening that shortcut so it was a quick run back to the boss was a very rewarding mechanic (IMO).

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think I need to take a break. I'm really frustrated at this last boss...

And sometimes I get there and the AI doesn't even fucking spawn in the fight so I just get wrecked.

Fuck this game. What a sour way to end a great experience. Pretty disappointed in the last quarter of the game.

Last edited:

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Im at the Palace, now and Im not enjoying how long it is. So hearing that the boss in it isnt great, and then the boss after it isnt great, isnt really making me want to finish the game. Haha.

The rest has been pretty good, not amazing, but fun enough.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Im at the Palace, now and Im not enjoying how long it is. So hearing that the boss in it isnt great, and then the boss after it isnt great, isnt really making me want to finish the game. Haha.

The rest has been pretty good, not amazing, but fun enough.

The palace reminds of of Seat of the Matriarch in terms of design... it seems like it is really long (and it is!) if you try and explore every corner. There were a lot of good secrets and finds there. But once you are done with that, the critical path is straightforward and not that long. Under 10 minutes I'm sure to get from the outside to the Ritual Stone in front of the boss.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Where the hell is Amiren...I am sitting right on top of the stupid marker and theres nothing there,which probably means its lower,whish they would show a little arrow down or something on the marker on the map...I have to go all the way around...?

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
How do I get to the second dungeon or the lower areas? I am trying to do that glowing dog quest and I can't get past those cliffs near the totem.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I am absolutely engrossed in this game right now. Just beat the first boss, and it was challenging and fun. I turned off AI Help, so im not sure if he helps you if it is turned on, but wow this game xD

Do you start getting armor in this game? I havent found any yet.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I am absolutely engrossed in this game right now. Just beat the first boss, and it was challenging and fun. I turned off AI Help, so im not sure if he helps you if it is turned on, but wow this game xD

Do you start getting armor in this game? I havent found any yet.

Yes but it is a single "outfit" not pieces. It gives you defense and stun resist (I think Ashens version of poise) but makes stam regen slower and actions take more stamina. You get your first set at the bottom of the first dungeon, but you have to explore a bit its missable.

I've loved pretty much each session of this game. I'm hoping to finish it tonight.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but it is a single "outfit" not pieces. It gives you defense and stun resist (I think Ashens version of poise) but makes stam regen slower and actions take more stamina. You get your first set at the bottom of the first dungeon, but you have to explore a bit its missable.

I've loved pretty much each session of this game. I'm hoping to finish it tonight.
I need to go back down there. Once I beat the boss and found Gefn, some spiders killed me after that.

How are you all killing those spiders anyways? I found that the spear works well, but i hate getting close to them because the acid. Theyre usually in tight hall ways so i cant strafe them too much.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is really good! I thought to myself I'm going to start the game and play for an hour since I'm busy writing my thesis, ended up playing for 4 hours straight!
I think Ashen is a great entry game for the Souls genre.
Played offline, the AI co-op partner seems alright. I mainly use them as distractions for the enemies.
And lastly, Ashen is what I wanted the game Absolver to be.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I need to go back down there. Once I beat the boss and found Gefn, some spiders killed me after that.

How are you all killing those spiders anyways? I found that the spear works well, but i hate getting close to them because the acid. Theyre usually in tight hall ways so i cant strafe them too much.

Dodge towards them, the acid hurts a bit but is only truly dangerous if they get you full force with a spray. Close the gap, hit twice on the side with a 1h weapon, dodge their swing, hit again and they are done. I cant quite remeber if you have a shield by that point or not, but it might be easier if you do.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I've killed shadow of the ashen in my first try and Sissna I think it took me 4-5 tries. I beat it with the help of another player.

Maybe you all are doing something wrong?

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've killed shadow of the ashen in my first try and Sissna I think it took me 4-5 tries. I beat it with the help of another player.

Maybe you all are doing something wrong?

Yeah, I beat the last boss on my first try with another player instead of the AI. We basically juggled the aggro the entire time - she will get fixated on one player eventually allowing the other to get in 3-4 hits from behind. Just gotta be able to dodge/block the rest of the time.

edit: I actually streamed the last part of the game today, including The Gnaw and then the last boss. Link to archived stream. Final boss starts around 33:30.

Last edited:

Harle

Oct 25, 2017
So I am confused with upgrading/choosing weapons.

I have so many of them, but I only need 2 I guess? What does the the various numbers mean? oine has a hollow dot and the other is solid. For both Damage and Stun.

Any way to know really what is one handed vs 2? And a compare between weapons?

I want to dump some of these weapons so I have room!

Hollow dot is how much damage you do with a light attack, and the solid one is with a heavy attack.

You can dump the ones you don't like, or keep them in your stash. There is no way to compare weapons, at least for now.

Gonna give up playing CoS... I *love" not having stamina after I do a couple of attacks.

Last edited:

Seiru

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this game on the Epic store, and I can't get sound to work. All my other games are fine (including Fortnite). Updated drivers, etc.

Even found the game's config files and dug through them, but didn't see anything useful.

Couldn't find anything on Google except for a few people who had the same issue with no solution. What should I do? I'm not even sure where I'd contact support for this game.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I usually feel the exact opposite of this, but I feel like this game should just be the dungeons. running around the open maps hunting sapient moss feels like a checklist, and the multiplayer never seems to work well there because players are so rarely doing the same thing

i just had a string of co-op experiences (one in particular) in the palace that were all-timers, though. really sweet way to interact with a total stranger that i'll probably remember forever!

matching up at the beginning of an area that you then have to linearly progress through works real well for the game's mp model

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
I like this game,even if I died so many times...I have reached the Matriach teleport ''thing'' at least but since I dont have the artfact to open doors by myself I couldnt go on,which is a good thing I guess...too bad the 2 front guys respawn so fast..? I was passed them,then someone came in and died at them and I couldnt revive him on time...

I still hate the map though,like where the hell are Folknir's tools...the whole place before the marker is blocked by huge rocks or water...I even get the yellow meter/line on top which tells me I am near but nothing...? is that what that sound at the same time means or is it multiplayer related...?

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I like this game,even if I died so many times...I have reached the Matriach teleport ''thing'' at least but since I dont have the artfact to open doors by myself I couldnt go on,which is a good thing I guess...too bad the 2 front guys respawn so fast..? I was passed them,then someone came in and died at them and I couldnt revive him on time...

I still hate the map though,like where the hell are Folknir's tools...the whole place before the marker is blocked by huge rocks or water...I even get the yellow meter/line on top which tells me I am near but nothing...? is that what that sound at the same time means or is it multiplayer related...?

Finish Matriarchs Seat first.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
is there an agreed-on place to matchmake for sissna? mouth of the cave? beating this with an AI companion would feel so anticlimactic

benj

Oct 27, 2017
on a pretty incredible streak of sitting in the mouth of the cave waiting for a matchmake, getting one, go through the cave, teammate dies almost immediately, craven remnant back to vagrant's rest, rinse and repeat

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just beat the
dual wielding spear boss dude that sets fire to the middle of the arena.

How much is left?

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Hmm is it possible to finish jokell quest line before Seat of M?

I have quests for both him and crazy hat lady but they are both pretty far bottom right of map and I can't find a way over there, ruins in my way. Maybe I'm missinf the entrance somewhere? Passed the whispers.

I wanted to do a little more so I can get a buff for SoM... lost 5 times now :/

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Hmm is it possible to finish jokell quest line before Seat of M?

I have quests for both him and crazy hat lady but they are both pretty far bottom right of map and I can't find a way over there, ruins in my way. Maybe I'm missinf the entrance somewhere? Passed the whispers.

I wanted to do a little more so I can get a buff for SoM... lost 5 times now :/
No, you need something that comes after SotM to keep going with those side quests.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
I was really enjoying this until the SotM. If I go in with an AI they seem to die super quick or just disappear at some point. Been in 3 times with real people and it's all going well then again - poof! Gone. 3/4 in.

It's as if SotM is made for coop as it has so many areas with quite strong enemies but the glitches of coop barely working and the AI being seemingly terrible take it way outside of your control and the deeper you go in there are more insti fall to death sections with enemies coming at you.

The bump in difficulty in what feels like a cheap way is very off putting as this dungeon is absolutely supposed to be coop handled. It's frustrating as it is really cool venturing down with somebody but when they randomly dissapear be it from connectivity issues or there being a flaky match making server playing up - it just sullies the experience. They could just cut down a couple of the enemies and it would be much more manageable.

It's weird as I've played through and finished all of the souls games but having to do this long ass dungeon AGAIN in the hope the AI doesn't die or my teammate isn't rubbish or crazy or disconnects makes me exhale and think I'll just move on.

Last edited:

App13533d

Dec 16, 2018
Reektan & others struggling with the Seat of the Matriarch dungeon, specifically the section when your AI Companion apparently departs just before you reach the Bridge with the 4 platforms swarming with the big jumping club dudes & the crawlers- like you I was frustrated by this section for a couple of days, but thanks to a few posts on previous pages I figured out how to retain the AI companion & pass this section to reach the next Resting Stone not far from there, to then complete this dungeon.

So if you keep an eye on your AI companion, after you come down the last set of stairs to the large platform with the sap collector, just before the passages towards that Bridge with the 4 platforms, instead of following you into those passages, they backtrack up the stairs & jump off the opposite edge of the platform above... down to another platform below nearest to the Bridge, avoiding some tough enemies in the passage. If you've both imbibed from the sap collector before this, you should both survive the fall with minimal damage.

When you get to the Bridge with the 4 platforms, don't try to engage the enemies on those platforms. Instead, sprint directly forward & past the big jumping club dude & the crawler charging towards you from the other end, dodge rolling to avoiding their attacks. If you do this, the other enemies on the platforms should not follow you! When you get past them & down to the next section at the end of the bridge, beckon your AI companion to join you- they may have gotten hung up by that pair, but with some luck your companion will join you before that pair return to their original positions.

The next section after the bridge is a set of staircases that has a few more swarms of crawlers, but if you're cautious you should be able to defeat them even on your own to reach the next Resting stone not much further along. When you've reached this save point, you can backtrack to the Bridge to take on those platform enemies with your AI Companion in tow if you wish, and not fear having to run the entire length of the dungeon to there again if you expire :)

Also, I turned off the Multiplayer option in the System settings to complete this dungeon, so it would default to the AI Companion only. I think the random matching thing is cool on paper & obviously enhances the experience in Journey that it has been lifted from, but in practice is not terribly useful in this game from herein- unless you're pairing with a friend & both headed in the same direction :)

Last edited:

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
Getting super frustrated at Seat of the Matriarch. I have tried five times to progress but the AI partner (Jokell) always bugs out/disappears when I'm nearing the section with the five big Listener enemies. What gives? Is the game trying to tell me I have to go solo from there on out or is it bugged? I have the multiplayer off but AI on.

Status
Not open for further replies.