• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Having a lackluster ending is the true Dark Souls experience, though.

Having only beat Demon's Souls for comparison I find that style of ending more frustrating in Ashen because of how straightforward everything else is comparatively. Characters and even item descriptions are significantly more direct in Ashen so I find myself more invested in them and wanting to see how it shakes out especially with with the ending of the game.

With you character falling lifeless to the ground it does bring some interesting questions about about the role of the Ashen's guardian (perhaps Bataron was more an avatar of it as his sister was for Sissina and not telling the whole truth) that can be explored in the future, but leaving the town and residents out of the conclusion was disappointing. Even a final shot of the settlement with everyone mulling about would have been enough for me!

Last edited:

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I made it through Seat of the Matriarch finally, solo until about the last bit when my AI randomly showed up. I tried that place at least 15 times, dying different ways every damn time. Talk about a heart pounding dungeon, I also was out of gourd for the last bit before the altar. Boss was awesome and fortunately pretty manageable.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I made it through Seat of the Matriarch finally, solo until about the last bit when my AI randomly showed up. I tried that place at least 15 times, dying different ways every damn time. Talk about a heart pounding dungeon, I also was out of gourd for the last bit before the altar. Boss was awesome and fortunately pretty manageable.
There are harder bosses but that is the hardest dungeon.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls ain't got nothing on Ashen's final boss.

Way too difficult. Probably wouldn't have been as frustrating if a checkpoint were placed a bit closer. Glad that's over.

Great game overall.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any word on major balancing patches or DLC that will add more stuff to the game? I really want to try this, but every review seems to mention the lack of enemy variety and the lack of shortcuts and checkpoints in the dungeons. Those two seem like relatively "easy" fixes for the next couple of months, but I don't want to backseat develop here.

It just seems like one of those good games that will be great in six months or so after DLC and patches.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Game kept crashing after I spoke to Gefn,which basically stops you from progressing near the end...pissed me off so much after all the trouble getting there,that I thought I would never do lol(had a few good real partners otherwise I would of stopped playing),got all those dumb 17 point achievement(why ?) also for completing the town and sidequests...

Is there any word on major balancing patches or DLC that will add more stuff to the game? I really want to try this, but every review seems to mention the lack of enemy variety and the lack of shortcuts and checkpoints in the dungeons. Those two seem like relatively "easy" fixes for the next couple of months, but I don't want to backseat develop here.

Yeah...the only problem though is that it may not be on Gamepass anymore in 6 months...actual glitches like I got are rare though but I dont think the actual AI companion problems will go away,especially in vertical area's,making those already hard section harder,so balancing this is almost impossible...when the AI is stable or you get a real player,the game is fine though,hard but fun nonetheless,just rage quit hard in a few area's ,like the lantern dungeon lol...

Last edited:

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
So are people still playing/discovering this game? I don't see it pop up much anymore.

I really like it but have been traveling, going to dive back in - on my 6th attempt at the matriarch dungeon ha.

I just booted up to a 6gig download on Xbox, not sure what I missed but google didn't show me patch notes - what was the update?

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017
First Souls like game I've ever actually enjoyed playing and have hit a brick wall with the Seat of the Matriarch quest - I've gotten close to the bottom (I think) but it's really tough. If any-one fancies carrying me through it that would be amazing :-) (UK based)

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
So are people still playing/discovering this game? I don't see it pop up much anymore.

I really like it but have been traveling, going to dive back in - on my 6th attempt at the matriarch dungeon ha.

I just booted up to a 6gig download on Xbox, not sure what I missed but google didn't show me patch notes - what was the update?

This was IMO a really fantastic game, but as there are not really any builds or different playstyles, I don't think it will get a lot of replay.

I adored pretty much everything in this game, and finished it about a week into it's release (Dec 16th). Do the achievement percentages change as time goes on? It still says 1.13% of gamers finished the game, so I guess not that many did :(

I really like Souls games, but I'm not terribly good at them. Still with patience and caution, I have finished all of them... even though sometimes it takes me a lot longer ;). I would have to go and check my Ashen playtime but I'm pretty confident it was well north of 40 hours, exploring every corner.

I hope they can fix the AI for Seat of the Matriarch, it really didn't cause me any grief, but reading this thread it's obviously a road block for a lot of people. Just hope the fix doesn't come too late.

I find with both of the major dungeon areas (SotM and the Palace), they feel extremely long, and this can make it really frustrating when you die and feel like you just lost hours of progress. However, if you simply run back to where you died you find that the dungeon isn't unbearably long, running through it takes only a few minutes end to end. But the slow, creeping pace in the dark really provides a stressful atmosphere and makes everything take a long time. If you are stuck on this dungeon there is a shortcut for it that can get you from close to the start to practically to the checkpoint stone at the bottom:

I've watched a bunch of streamers and people play this game, by now even more known "souls players" like Lobos, Cowboy, etc have given the game a shot. A lot of people play the game like it's Bloodborne or maybe Ninja Gaiden or something... they have their big 2H or maybe a 1H + lantern, because the DPS looks higher, and they run head long into every room and get killed quickly. This includes innumerable attempts at the last boss as well. 1H + shield makes this game (and the bosses) a ton easier. Try and roll whenever you can, but that shield saves your life when you miss the roll.

Like I said earlier, I'm not great at these types of games, especially the bosses, but using a shield I beat the last boss on my second (perhaps third at the most) attempt:

You can see I try and dodge most of the time, but more than a few times I miss time the roll, and she hits me, but the shield saves my bacon.

And unless you are using the lantern for a DPS buff, use the damage reduction potion in phase 2 and it can really take the edge off.

The guy helping me unfortunately didn't make it to the end and died in the last 1/4 of the fight or so, I guess he burned through his gourd a lot faster because he had nothing left to heal with. Try and get through phase 1 without healing at all if you can.

Anyway, this was a really great game for me, if you like souls type games at all don't give up on SoTM, power through it so you can experience the rest of this gem; this game is easily one of the best of 2018 for me. If I can do it, anyone can!

giphy.gif

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017
Checked the shortcut youtube vid and used it. not ashamed.

Had two attempts at the boss, one solo, one with an AI partner and second time around enough distraction was provided for me to get lots of hits in. Amazed I managed it as I both suck at and hate Souls games in equal measure, they may be linked, who knows.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Any chance they patch to make Shadow of the Ashen any less brutal? I've pretty much given up on completing the story because I havent got a hope against Shadow!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

It just seems like one of those good games that will be great in six months or so after DLC and patches.

Nothing has been communicated as such. New enemies would only come through an expansion or new game, but I suppose A44 could change the boss checkpoints to be fast travel stones though if they really wanted to make things easier for folk.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing has been communicated as such. New enemies would only come through an expansion or new game, but I suppose A44 could change the boss checkpoints to be fast travel stones though if they really wanted to make things easier for folk.

Yeah,I reached Shadow of the Ashen,got to the second phase of the fight but we died and I was back at the save stone but I thought it was a travel stone so I went back to town lol(at least I was able to forge 2 more upgrades to my 2H weapon,probably the last I will be able to afford,it's close to 80k scoria now to upgrade)...now I have to do the whole palace again...how do you lay down your torch...? this could of helped us with the adds during the fight because you cant see them well...

Also is Lira after the Palace...it says she is in the Gnaw...?

Not surprised only 1% of people finished the game,like I said before,all trophy after SoTM are diamond trophy on the XBox ;)

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah,I reached Shadow of the Ashen,got to the second phase of the fight but we died and I was back at the save stone but I thought it was a travel stone so I went back to town lol...now I have to do the whole palace again...how do you lay down your torch...? this could of helped us with the adds during the fight because you cant see them well...

I believe it's left bumper (and whatever triggers the shield on PC) to place tha lantern on the ground.

Also is Lira after the Palace...it says she is in the Gnaw...?

Don't worry about that yet, haha.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Had a long hiatus from this until last night. I had just unlocked the Palace.

Had two long, tense and ultimately frustrating runs before getting to Shadow on my third. Had 220k Scoria while fighting him...

Tense at. Managed to get it first time but it was mental.

Now the final boss is kicking my ass.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Man, it was much easier to find ransoms jumping in for Seat prior to the holidays... I'm playing first time in 3-4 weeks and 20 min later running around outside dungeon and by the keystone and no human once ;(

Last edited:

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Okay,I have said this a few times now but fuck the Gnaw,I am done with this game...had fun but enough is enough,even with the lantern,you cant see shit and the first few times,its a gamble if you are going to drown in 3 seconds or not...one of the most frustrating,cheap deaths game I have ever played,surprised I got this far,sorry Lira and Amara. :P ,I will watch the end on Youtube.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Okay,I have said this a few times now but fuck the Gnaw,I am done with this game...had fun but enough is enough,even with the lantern,you cant see shit and the first few times,its a gamble if you are going to drown in 3 seconds or not...one of the most frustrating,cheap deaths game I have ever played,surprised I got this far,sorry Lira and Amara. :P ,I will watch the end on Youtube.

The Gnaw gave me a lot of trouble at first but switching to a faster, critical focused, weapon made a big difference. Once you get past the first water area where 2/3 of those boss monsters come out of the water it's a lot easier to get to the end checkpoint.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Well I was having a lot of fun until I got to Seat of the Matriarch. After the 5th time of the AI diving off the edge and then getting swarmed by the crawler things I think I'm just done. Shit isn't fun.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Well I was having a lot of fun until I got to Seat of the Matriarch. After the 5th time of the AI diving off the edge and then getting swarmed by the crawler things I think I'm just done. Shit isn't fun.

I think I tried 9-10 times before I finally beat it yesterday - don't give up, it feels GREAT to win this one :)

Take the shortcut it makes a pretty big difference. Once you get down the ladder you can make a beeline for the save point, and then just explore at your leisure since you can just restart before the boss

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Bummer to hear about some frustrating(cheap) gameplay. I enjoyed my first 4 hours with it but I'm not going to waste my time with it if it's going to just lead to rage quitting later.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I'd call any major section of it cheap?
I wouldn't either, although I've been killed super fast on several occasions without really having enough time to do anything about it. Seat of the Matriarch also has one slightly harder area but you can basically run past it and reach the final ritual stone not long after.

I'm starting to go deeper into the Palace and it's more difficult than the rest of the game but nothing cheap for the moment.

I'm honestly not saying git gud at all because that's an extremely dumb remark, but maybe more people should play without the IA? It forces you to learn the enemies attacks and patterns and it makes for a better (and less frustrating) experience in my opinion.

I downloaded this from game pass. Are the spears that I got in the starting area pretty much just ranged weapons?
Yes, they are ranged weapons. They're also useful for something else later in the game.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I've wondered if people dying fast and getting frustrated are just mainlining it? There is not really xp / levels in this game but doing the side quests rewards a lot of extra health and stamina. If you have half the health of another player you would die pretty quick in sotm, especially when the elder darks do their standing / flail attack. It stuns you and if you dont have the hp to survive it, it looks like they 1 shot you.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I think I tried 9-10 times before I finally beat it yesterday - don't give up, it feels GREAT to win this one :)

Take the shortcut it makes a pretty big difference. Once you get down the ladder you can make a beeline for the save point, and then just explore at your leisure since you can just restart before the boss

Took a break, came back to it and almost made it all the way down then died again. Said screw it, used the shortcut and made it to the checkpoint then proceeded to beat the boss easily on the first try. Kind of crazy that the boss is such a joke compared to the dungeon itself.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I did 5ish runs into the palace last night. I got to the same point several times but thought the patch was doubling back on itself...so tried a couple of stupid things a few times to try and figure out where I should be going.

Turns out the path wasn't doubling back on itself and that's actually the way to go!

Have lost 150kish souls in the palace now!!Got pretty good at the first part though!

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I got Ashen on Xbox One yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far (except Seat of the Matriarch, that was a stupidly long and terribly designed dungeon) but I've reached Pinion Pass (right after The Loom) and so far my game has frozen and crashed all 4 times I've reached this point. I'm on a regular Xbox One.

Its ridiculously frustrating at this point because I literally can't make progress in the game anymore. Anyone have this issue before? I emailed A44 about it. If they can't do anything about it, is this the kind of thing Microsoft would issue a refund for? I really don't want to have to return the game, but if I can't finish it I sure as hell am not throwing $40 down the drain.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Finished the game tonight. Really enjoyed it a lot outside of Seat of the Matriarch (thank god for the shortcut). Was really an absolute joy to explore the world and I really loved the scale of it all. Ending was a bit half baked it felt like but other than that the world building was insanely good in regards to both the main story and the journeys for the side characters. The music was phenomenal too.

I don't hate myself enough to do Children of Sissna mode but I'm interested to see if they do any DLC for this game or what they move on to next. I'd love to see another game with this type of scale and world building.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate myself enough to do Children of Sissna mode but I'm interested to see if they do any DLC for this game or what they move on to next. I'd love to see another game with this type of scale and world building.

Here's hoping A44 follows in FROM's footsteps and puts out a nice DLC expansion. It'd be great to get something in the next year or so from the studio.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it. I have to confess I haven't beaten the final boss. Got her down to one third health on my third ever run...but then the ai has been fairly useless since and I can't be bothered to force myself through it.

(I took over 30 runs at sif in ds1)

Really enjoyed the game though and I hope they get enough money to do whatever they want for the rest of their lives :)

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it. I have to confess I haven't beaten the final boss. Got her down to one third health on my third ever run...but then the ai has been fairly useless since and I can't be bothered to force myself through it.

(I took over 30 runs at sif in ds1)

Really enjoyed the game though and I hope they get enough money to do whatever they want for the rest of their lives :)

Have you tried using the potion that gives you a buff while in darkness (that arena counts as such)? That was the key to the fight for me.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ok cheers both. I tried one run with dwale, plus tougher armour but I didn't like the slower speed and less stamina from the armour.

I couldn't be bothered to try dwale and my original armour :)

I also didn't like it that I couldn't tell when dwale had run out. I didn't want to chug it randomly and couldn't count to 120 in my head.

I'm just nitpicking though, it's a great game!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Not really anything but the newsletter tonight included this.

It's been an incredible ride from the start and we have plenty more planned already for the future. For the meantime, read on below about what else we've been up to since the release of Ashen!

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Man ANOTHER game with no option to invert X axis. *deep breath*

At least this is PC and I can probably figure out some sort of way to make it work. Does DS4 have a way to swap left and right on one of the analog sticks perhaps?

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
More content would be great; I dont do pvp so Ashen was dark souls tier for me. Still waiting on that windows release so I can do my Children of Sissna run!

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Guys I am STRUGGLING on final boss. In 10 tries not even half way through final form. Top 5 game of 2018 for me and not sure I can finish it!

Poor Jokkel never makes it past her first walk-and-wail-out attack

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I am STRUGGLING on final boss. In 10 tries not even half way through final form. Top 5 game of 2018 for me and not sure I can finish it!

Poor Jokkel never makes it past her first walk-and-wail-out attack

Have you tried using the potion mentioned a post or two above that gives you a notable damage reduction for the fight?

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Are there only three dungeons in the game? The first one, the Matriarch and a third?

Also I've reached the fourth region with the swamp. Percentage-wise how far am I?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Are there only three dungeons in the game? The first one, the Matriarch and a third?

Also I've reached the fourth region with the swamp. Percentage-wise how far am I?

Thanks for any help.

Kinda? There's another linear area you have to run through before the final boss but it's more akin to the swamp than a dungeon. Being in the swamp I'd say somewhere around 75%. The next area is quite large and features another dungeon, so there's a decent amount of content there to explore.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I had to take a hiatus. 8 more tries, still couldn't get final boss 2nd form down past half health :(

Has anyone managed to get a real player to join them for the final boss?
I haven't once, not enough players idling around end game I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.