• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
John's focus segment last night was on Asian Americans. He pretty much hit all the right spots, from the Model Minority 'issue' and how Asian Americans are not a monolith.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
His videos are always good to touch on a lot of surface level ideas that hopefully get people digging for more. I liked the inclusion of "4 years before I was born".

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
John Oliver has been pretty good lately, way better than during the early trump era

If anything, I also find that the restrictions of COVID forcing him into a more podcast format has helped the show a lot. Not having to be as much a people pleaser to get the point across makes it flow a lot better

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Great segment especially for those who are not aware of the issues AAPIs face… So of course this barely gets any responses on ResetEra.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing segment and on point as always. John Oliver never really gets super deep into these subjects, but he always open my eyes to things.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
John Oliver has been pretty good lately, way better than during the early trump era

If anything, I also find that the restrictions of COVID forcing him into a more podcast format has helped the show a lot. Not having to be as much a people pleaser to get the point across makes it flow a lot better

I wish he would keep the current format without a crowd. It's so much better.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Whew, that 'Can You get Coronavirus from Chinese Food' news segment gave me whiplash so hard I hurt my neck.

I hate when other nations downplay their own bigotry because of the US's history, but goddamn, even as a membery of a very marginalized group here I still get surprised to new and different ways on how it proves it's fucked-upness. It's like watching Steph Curry on fire, nailing racist three pointers like butter.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Should have clown on Joe Rogan bit more, dumb pieces of shit. I would say I supprise people never post that clip on here, but then again, it about Asian.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Another great episode. I had heard about the murder of Vincent Chin before but I don't think I even knew his murderers walked. So gross.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Great segment especially for those who are not aware of the issues AAPIs face… So of course this barely gets any responses on ResetEra.
As it has always been, unfortunately.

I just wish there was the same passion for AAPI issues, and more videos and chatter like this SHOULD be helping... yet when we raise the fact that there's still very little conversation about AAPI problems, we're dismissed, even on a more progressive board like Era; we're still on the lower end of the totem pole, and told to be grateful for whatever crumbs of activism we get.

I suppose the hurdles are higher for AAPI issues too given how we're not a monolith, and thus there are thousands of nuances that supporters need to dig through to even understand what they're supporting. Regardless, it's frustrating that even the likes of John Oliver can't muster that amount of interest - if he can't do it, there's a low chance anyone can.

asun

Nov 10, 2017
I'm glad that John Oliver brought up Asian American activism, but I wish he had spent more time on it. There is so much erasure that's occurred there that it's really hard to unpack when given such a brief overview.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode and always enjoy the insight I get.

Will echo the sentiments that I really enjoy the focus of the episodes without a live crowd.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I never even heard of the Vincent Chin case previously, and that was super depressing. The sad part is, as noted in the episode, you can still feels echoes of that today with the uptick in attacks on Asian Americans after the corona virus. A sad reminder that history does repeat itself. Hopefully this video at least helps to raise awareness towards the issue.