• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all I'm making a banner for AsianEra, give me suggestions on foods to put in a pic

Want it to be diverse and represent the range of people in here
Some of my favorites, besides the Taiwanese style dumplings above:
Spicy Chinese Beef Noodle Soup
beef-noodle-soup-12.jpg

Scallion Pancakes:
20110406-food-lab-scallion-pancake-01-thumb-625xauto-152161.jpg

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I didn't hang here much before, but in light of recent events I think it's important to reach out and be much more active in the community. So, hiya!

I'm mixed so d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ .

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
How many of you suffer from Asian flush and if you do, do you still drink?

I do, and I only drink socially or on rare special occasions. In fact the recent exodus to here resulted in me buying a 6pack cider of Angry Orchard to which when I'm 3/4 done with one bottle I'm already flushed and somewhat drunk. Otherwise I prefer drinking coffee and/or tea on a regular daily basis.

AznMan37

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I do, and I only drink socially or on rare special occasions. In fact the recent exodus to here resulted in me buying a 6pack cider of Angry Orchard to which when I'm 3/4 done with one bottle I'm already flushed and somewhat drunk. Otherwise I prefer drinking coffee and/or tea on a regular daily basis.
Yeah I only drink when I'm with close friends. I get extremely red faced and sometimes I get a bad headache. The problem is that I get nauseous before I actually get drunk or even tipsy.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
We've been over this, but I am two ways when I get drunk.

Quiet
Or
Loud

It happens without me knowing it and then I get self-conscious about it and that's how I stay quiet when I'm drunk.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
We survived!

We'll still a minority but at least not on a site that clearly hates us now.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
get some hainan ji fan in there
food6.jpg

i don't flush to my knowledge, but i don't drink as heavily these days either

AznMan37

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's actually probably better not to drink nycg -- I think flush is supposed to be an indication that our body doesn't contain the enzymes to properly metabolize ethanol efficiently. Although maybe that's an urban legend.
Yeah I believe people affected by it have an increased risk of esophageal cancer.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I haven't been able to quote everyone yet, but WELCOME all the new people :). Super excited to have y'all in this community,

Please feel free to just shoot the shit. OP may have no chill ATM, but the rest of the thread does!

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
What are the essential Karaoke songs to learn? I already know 不得不愛 and 上を向いて歩こう but what about for Korean? What about Vietnamese? I need to be able to sing with all my buddies of all backgrounds.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't flush, but I get super tipsy after like 2-3 drinks

And then I sober up quickly somehow, it's weird

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, nice OP. No flush here (but I also stopped drinking alcohol). Does anyone know of any good podcasts or sites that deal with Asian representation or just Asian focused issues?

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, nice OP. No flush here (but I also stopped drinking alcohol). Does anyone know of any good podcasts or sites that deal with Asian representation or just Asian focused issues?

We got some woke Asians in here. I'm also interested in this. Particularly if they are also available on SoundCloud.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Nah hard pass on r/aznidentity. That place is toxic as hell.

Pass on LLAG as well. He may act like he's woke but he's a tool.

Literally the only Asian American subreddits not steeped in madness are r/asianamerican, r/asiantwox, and r/asianfeminism, and even those places get kooky at times. The rest of the AsAm redditsphere is just ugly.

Last edited:

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan

Recently over the past few months I've gotten to watch WongFu Productions which is an YouTube channel dedicated to dealing with Asian representation and culture. Here's a recent parody I enjoyed from them.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Asian Bachelorette was lit. Very much enjoyed it. I'm surprised they didn't get Twitch Asian American Star, Anthony_Kongphan on there though. The dudes prettier than a mug, lol.

rpmurphy

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Hi, I never joined the old OT but I might this time around.

Some of these food pics are making me hungry. Also I'll have to read the super long OP when I have time. lol

My aunt has the flush in my family, but no one else does. However, they drink too much over in Shandong anyway so appearances don't make that much of a difference in the end.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.gq.com/story/the-luxury-of-forgetting

At a party in 2007, David Cross made fun of a 20-year-old Charlyne Yi's pants. She was stunned and speechless. Perhaps to rouse her, Cross then said "ching chong ching chong" and asked her if she would fight him, karate-style, in a Southern American accent. Last week, Yi recalled the encounter with extraordinary detail, even though it had happened a decade ago. She vividly remembers what was said, how she felt, whom she was with, the pair of pants she was wearing. David Cross doesn't remember any of this.

Maybe you are thinking: Of course Cross doesn't remember. Why would he recall throwaway comments he made to a young stranger over a decade ago? Haven't we all done this at parties? Find what we have in common with one another and circle around it a couple times until someone else comes along to whisk us away? Is that not what all parties essentially are?

The only way Cross could completely forget this error judgment would be if, in his 2007 worldview, saying "ching chong" and referencing karate were as neutral to him as conversations about the weather, mutual friends, the latest iPhone update. The only way he could not remember that he had demeaned and belittled his friend's girlfriend is if he believed the joke to be something so universal that she, too, could laugh at it. Or, if the joke did not make her laugh, it could at least be a neutral comment that would fill up the space until a new conversation could replace it. "It's freezing out there." "Did you catch the Knicks game?" "Ching chong."

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Just dropping in to say that the OT title is awesome! Because obviously
  1. We don't age
  2. We don't like *THAT* place anymore.
Speaking of food pics, I recently got addicted to XO Sauce. Specifically, fried rice with XO Sauce.

00BKMH21E0DF50E23396BDmx.jpg

It's all I eat now during lunchtime since a place near my work sells it. I even brought my own chilli oil from home :-)

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Another ethnically Asian here ;D (Although I'm more Italian inside)

Chicken Curry Rice is the best (and Pizza as well)

chicken-curry.jpg

Forgot to mention that I love that title ;D

Last edited:

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the essential Karaoke songs to learn? I already know 不得不愛 and 上を向いて歩こう but what about for Korean? What about Vietnamese? I need to be able to sing with all my buddies of all backgrounds.

There are Vietnamese and Korean versions of 不得不愛. Korean is the original I believe.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Recently over the past few months I've gotten to watch WongFu Productions which is an YouTube channel dedicated to dealing with Asian representation and culture. Here's a recent parody I enjoyed from them.

*wipes drool off keyboard

WF has become a bit more contrived, but some of their stuff is still gold :)

Casual racism is brushed off. No one is saying, that's not kinda fucked up, but no one is really mad either.