• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 24, 2017
Weird. Oh, but the similar threads function easily reminds me of which threads contain really awful takes about Asians made by "I've studied Asian culture and prefer to date Asians" Era members.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the similar threads for us.
Just make a bunch of new threads about random stuff and put 'Asian' in brackets at the end so they get filtered in

BCT's is just full of past BCT threads because we go through threads there like an office through printer ink

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
So I finally received an invite to that Subtle Asian Traits Facebook group....

I'm cautiously excited about Marvel developing a Shang Chi movie....

The potential....

Could this be for us what Black Panther was for...?

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

The potential....

It's a movie about an Asian guy who's good at Kung Fu. I'm sorry, but I do think this is cliche as fuck and really not helping with the stereotype. I do want more Asians to get their chance to shine, but... a Kung Fu movie? Really?

I just finished watching Pacific Rim Uprising and up until the Chinese corporation showed up, the movie felt very organic with its diverse cast. Once they showed up, you really feel the China pandering. A lot of movies fail to draw that fine line. For me, pandering specifically pertains to using it to bring in more ticket sales for a movie. The first Pacific Rim never felt pandering. People come together for a very good reason. Hong Kong was a good location for a big city by the pacific ocean. That said, at least the Chinese faction does contribute to the plot and does things unlike Independence Day 2. I only saw ID2 cause I was on a 16 hour flight.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The potential....

I wouldn't have seen this as the first choice for a major MCU Asian superhero

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Even though I was defending it one page ago I'm over Subtle Asian Traits now. Urban Dictionary copy-pasta got to me I guess, I just don't find those funny cause I'm not 10 years old anymore.

Dec 24, 2017
It's a movie about an Asian guy who's good at Kung Fu. I'm sorry, but I do think this is cliche as fuck and really not helping with the stereotype. I do want more Asians to get their chance to shine, but... a Kung Fu movie? Really?

I just finished watching Pacific Rim Uprising and up until the Chinese corporation showed up, the movie felt very organic with its diverse cast. Once they showed up, you really feel the China pandering. A lot of movies fail to draw that fine line. For me, pandering specifically pertains to using it to bring in more ticket sales for a movie. The first Pacific Rim never felt pandering. People come together for a very good reason. Hong Kong was a good location for a big city by the pacific ocean. That said, at least the Chinese faction does contribute to the plot and does things unlike Independence Day 2. I only saw ID2 cause I was on a 16 hour flight.

Do you think the China pandering was worse than Independence Day 2: The Independencing?

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think the China pandering was worse than Independence Day 2: The Independencing?

Nah, ID2 was so much worse. I don't even know why what's her name's character serves in the overarching plot. At least the Chinese faction in Uprising served the plot and the characters did contribute to the story. I do have a hard time buying Liwen Shao as a Jaeger pilot. That was out of nowhere.

Dec 24, 2017
I have this argument with a friend about China pandering in the Martian. I say it isn't because it's more feasible that China has a space program capable of launching the resupply to the long term Mars vessel. He says, it could have been the Russians. The book makes it the Chinese. I'm semi-upset about Venkat Kapoor, but can't because Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Mindy Park should have been Asian.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, it's also an opportunity for them to subvert expectations and not be stereotypical. If they play it like some mentioned in the thread as a spy/secret agent movie who happens to be a god of kung fu that could be pretty fun.

We'll see.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they play it like some mentioned in the thread as a spy/secret agent movie who happens to be a god of kung fu that could be pretty fun.

That seems like one of the most common plots for a kung fu movie. "Character is a cop/FBI agent/spy trying to solve the murder/kidnapping and every questioning becomes a huge fight."

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking James Bond, not cops or FBI agents.

Edit:

They'd give the spy movie to Black Widow.

Also that's more or less what Agents of SHIELD is at this point.
tenor.gif

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished watching Pacific Rim Uprising and up until the Chinese corporation showed up, the movie felt very organic with its diverse cast. Once they showed up, you really feel the China pandering. A lot of movies fail to draw that fine line.
The movie is produced by a Chinese-owned company. The Chinese presence can feel like a bit out of place, but that wasn't the reason it wasn't as enjoyable as the first one for me.

I have this argument with a friend about China pandering in the Martian. I say it isn't because it's more feasible that China has a space program capable of launching the resupply to the long term Mars vessel. He says, it could have been the Russians. The book makes it the Chinese. I'm semi-upset about Venkat Kapoor, but can't because Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Mindy Park should have been Asian.
How is The Martian China pandering unless you argue that the book was also China pandering. Yeah it could be the Russians but realistically, China has the most promising space program.

I'm talking James Bond, not cops or FBI agents.
A James Bond style movie with some fighting set pieces could be fun.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The movie is produced by a Chinese-owned company. The Chinese presence can feel like a bit out of place, but that wasn't the reason it wasn't as enjoyable as the first one for me.
The first one set out to capture the look and feel of giant robots fighting, and tried to make it look as stylistic as possible through set design and weather effects. The 2nd one seems like it looked at media featuring giant robots and just opted to do that. All of the Jaegers are faster and have weird Gundam-style weapons, at least one is an EVA unit, and there are moments that reek of Michael Bay Transformers, namely that tiny Jaeger. And the Jaegers look more like toys because their designs were made less bulky and 90% of it takes place during the day in clear visibility when giant CGI robots would look their worst.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

The way China was introduced in that movie felt very awkward and out of the left field. It wasn't handled well. When I saw it, I thought it was added in to pander to the Chinese market as well until I found out it was based on the book. China could have been introduced better.

For the record, I have no problem with Asian representation in movies. I just feel like they're not handled well. It feels cheap and insulting and sticks out like a sore thumb.

hermit

Oct 25, 2017
okay now that the site's stopped shitting itself i don't hate it as much. the similar threads feature sucks though

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I went to this Hubei restaurant (province in the central region of China) and it was really good.

Wuhan (city in the eastern part of Hubei) style noodles
Dti-TFWU0AYAnZM.jpg

Cumin steak
Dti-T17UcAg4k8A.jpg

Eggplant pine nuts fish
Dti-U8tU4AECL6Q.jpg

Hanyang (district in Wuhan) pearl balls (basically steamed beef balls covered in rice)
Dti-V4bU0AE2MI6.jpg

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
lol algorithmic software reminding us all them others be kinda weird about asians

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
I have some hope in Marvel after Black Panther that they'll do as right by us as they can. Yeah, on the surface, Shang-Chi is questionable, and so also was the elements of Dr. Strange that were problematic, but I don't think they want to take a step back from where they are now after how Black Panther was handled and how much of a success that was.

So far, the Panther playbook on the surface doesn't look like it's being deviated from: Asian writer, likely Asian director and cast.

Black Panther also introduced a strong ass cast of women who maybe overshadowed the main character, so the whole Kung Fu thing and even Shang-Chi himself might give a little way to something bigger than itself.

I know having too much faith in something like Disney et.al is risky, but I have doubts they'd risk bad optics and reactions at this point by giving us less than what they gave Panther. I think in some way, the TV division royally screwing up Iron Fist helps too, since I doubt the movie studio was too in to the direction the former took with many if not most of the tv shows and I could see Feige taking an opportunity to further distance the movies from the shows, especially in light of him getting involved with shows now for the Disney streaming platform.

Basically its wait and see before judge now if anything for me.

Dec 24, 2017
Akira Yoshida is nowhere near this project, so that's a good start for Shang Chi. And the TV and Movie divisions are different and allegedly don't like each other at all.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
Yeah, I know, that's what I mean; basically the movie division can show up the TV division if they wanted just by making a well respected and respectful Asian superhero movie.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver foodpics time

Jinya Ramen Bar - https://jinya-ramenbar.com/locations/detail/vancouver-downtown
Karaage
Lpyf5IM.jpg

Takoyaki
K0GCWf3.jpg

Salmon Poke Taco
z7F93OZ.jpg

Tonkotsu Spicy
eXojVa5.jpg

Sura Korean Cuisine - http://www.surakoreancuisine.com/#robson
Bossam
HVbEdGY.jpg

Royal Ricecakes
sjr4O6x.jpg

Mackerel Combo (Mackerel + small Doenjang jigae)
CaZIqEp.jpg

Yue Restaurant - https://www.facebook.com/yuerestaurant/
Pork Knuckles and Ginger Stew (豬腳薑)
js53CN4.jpg

Taro Cakes
gIQVv0o.jpg

The one of the left is scallops IIRC
12FFVP0.jpg

XkEu7Qy.jpg

We ordered lots of cheong fun. They even came out to ask us to make sure we wanted all of that lol
sJ85Xy5.jpg

Inside the lo mai gai
aeS6hpE.jpg

Fisherman's Terrace Seafood Restaurant - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fishermans-Terrace-Seafood-Restaurant/107056229342358
back to front
Braised Fishbelly + Tofu
Stirfried Salted Pork with Chives
Tofu cakes with seafood
Empress Chicken
Pea Tips with Abalone
Sauteed Duck
eCNfm2T.jpg

Edible Canada - https://ediblecanada.com/
Duck Poutine
e6QLA84.jpg

Shabusen Yakiniku House - https://www.shabusenyakiniku.com/
AYCE Yakiniku + Sushi
e7YQUyZ.jpg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Those food pics hurt. Last katsu I had was from a local place near my office. I pretty rarely get post-worthy food pics outside of Disney or sushi places

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I was able to better articulate my issue with Shang-Chi thread. I actually mixed up that thread with this one... Anyway, after people clarifying it, it might not turn out so bad after all. I'll keep an eye on it.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Did they remove the related topics at the bottom? I don't see it anymore.

EDIT: Oh, just temporarily down for maintenance.