• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Family style dining is unheard of and difficult to figure out, I guess. And also gross and weird. 🤔🤔

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Y'all that thread about the dumbass gweilo has me in stitches.

Also some people in there are straight mentally handicapped.

SOMEONE TRIED TO ARGUE THAT IT WAS LIKE GOING TO A TEXAS BBQ PLACE AND EXPECTING BBQ SAUCE (as if that was culturally inauthentic???).

SOMEONE ELSE TRIED TO ARGUE THAT WHITE PEOPLE HAVE LAZY SUSANS FOR CONDIMENTS.

I can't even, y'all. Now I'm suspicious they're bots, because....

1. Who the fuck brings up Texas BBQ without knowing jackshit about Texas BBQ
2. Who the fuck thinks that "the west" uses HUGE lazy susans that take up 90% of the table for condiments.

Also just the general ignorance is astounding but when you think about it I suppose it's true that whenever I go eat with white people at a family style place, I always explain to them that it's family style and what it means because I kinda assume that they are culturally unaware of everything not slathered in mayo.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the one guy, "the Chinese I saw in Chinese restaurants in China were not adhering to Western dining etiquette, and clearly that's equivalent to white people in China not adhering to Chinese dining etiquette!"

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Hey on a non Asian tangent, I just wanted to share because I'm so excited- I passed my first CPA section! One down, three to go.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Most just give you one or two for the table. Plus with beef the longer it stays in the worse it gets so everyone I know just uses their chopsticks to swish it around for a few seconds and then takes it out.
Sure, but most people I know either use the communal chopsticks for that or they turn their chopsticks around.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
All that thread is telling me is that I could never live anywhere but the West Coast/Hawaii in this country.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
All that thread is telling me is that I could never live anywhere but the West Coast/Hawaii in this country.

Hahahaha

TBH I think a lot of people are being deliberately obtuse. Really, I keep saying this, but some white people can't stand a white person being laughed at by Chinese people. That doesn't jive with their internal belief that they are superior.

It happens all the time in the US. Just look at college admissions. The moment white people realized Asians were dominating them in "merit," (something used against black and brown people), suddenly, it wasn't a "real" standard of intelligence and instead you had to look at things like "creativity" and "sportsmanship" and "civil and social engagement" and "extracurriculars."

When Asians started dominating all of that too, it was about "personality."

I mean, whether or not America wants to admit it, America was built on white supremacist ideals. Manifest Destiny, the so-called "civilization" efforts for Native Americans... there's always been the undercurrent that European culture is superior and that people of other colors can't compare because ultimately the superiority was innate. They can't fathom that THEY may be the "barbarians."

Last edited:

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I mention in the thread, the responses are infuriating because there's this automatic assumption that Western (read: white) cultural norms are the default and supersede others even when a white person is visiting a foreign country.

What's more, some of these white guys visit the country a few times or have a Chinese spouse and they stroll into the thread acting like they're THE authority on Chinese etiquette when you have actual people of Chinese descent laying it out for everyone.

ERA can be a fucking case study on implicit racism in progressive spaces.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Whaaaaat? You're telling me that if I, a white guy, go to China they're NOT supposed to adhere to my customs?!

How. Dare. They.

Dec 24, 2017
The only thing Resetera has reinforced to me is that Europeans are way more racist than I originally thought. Americans are just as racist as I'm used to.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The perceived progressivism I think actually impedes real progress because it makes users refuse to acknowledge their implicit racial biases. Like, even flat out, hardcore racists do better there because they at least admit their beliefs, whereas diet racists here feel like doing so attacks their persona.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing Resetera has reinforced to me is that Europeans are way more racist than I originally thought. Americans are just as racist as I'm used to.
Oh, we already knew that back at the old place. All the Europeans flooding into threads about American racism to turn up their noses but are nowhere to be found when a thread on some racist as fuck shit happening in Europe is created.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The perceived progressivism I think actually impedes real progress because it makes users refuse to acknowledge their implicit racial biases. Like, even flat out, hardcore racists do better there because they at least admit their beliefs, whereas diet racists here feel like doing so attacks their persona.

I completely agree with your first sentence, though to me both hardcore and diet racists are about the same. Not sure I'm any more comfortable with someone who admits thinking I'm inferior to someone who subconsciously believes so.

Oh, we already knew that back at the old place. All the Europeans flooding into threads about American racism to turn up their noses but are nowhere to be found when a thread on some racist as fuck shit happening in Europe is created.

But it's different when it's about the Roma people. Gypsy isn't a real slur anyway.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017

Reminds me of here, Minnesota. Minnesotans and their passive aggressiveness doesn't do them any favors.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with your first sentence, though to me both hardcore and diet racists are about the same. Not sure I'm any more comfortable with someone who admits thinking I'm inferior to someone who subconsciously believes so.
I think for me, I prefer to know where I stand so I can adapt my interactions. The problem with the veil here is that, while there are plenty of wonderful users who actually aren't racist, it's hard to know which ones harbor implicit biases, such as the notion that western culture is/should be the global default.

On a related note, there's also this weird notion here that only white people can be racist. Like, there are people in that thread saying that they aren't white as if that represented some sort of justification for the horseshit they're spewing. It's unsettling.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I think everyone at one point has been or even still is racist. What gets to me are the people who insist that they could never be racist while very obviously being racist. Like a lot of people on here tend to live in denial about the way they think.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a related note, there's also this weird notion here that only white people can be racist. Like, there are people in that thread saying that they aren't white as if that represented some sort of justification for the horseshit they're spewing. It's unsettling.
That's not true at all! People are fast to point out Asians are racist against black people!

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all, so I wrote a script piece about diversity and representation in the video game industry. Would anyone like to read it? I'd like some feedback before I turn it into a YouTube video lol

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seeing so many people butthurt over such a small innocent video was something else but not surprising. People see "China" in the topic and you know it's gonna turn ugly. People can say they're just attacking the Chinese government but a lot of time that kind of sentiment spills over to the Chinese people and culture as a whole. Most frustrating thing about that thread were the people who didn't understand what was going on in the video and therefore it's absolutely not funny. What these people don't seem to understand is that video wasn't for their uncultured asses anyways.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Damn missed that thread, but see it's closed now. Asian spouses trotted out and taking personal offence that white people are getting laughed at in a harmless video.

There's been some interesting threads on the subtle asian groups about letting white people (especially men) into asian spaces and tbh, I'd rather they be largely left out. You'd need to only point to "progressive" places like this to see how fragile and easily threatened their sense of cultural superiority is. Then consider FB and that population and ugh, don't even want to think about it*.

*not that the subtle groups aren't full of toxic crap already.

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Damn missed that thread, but see it's closed now. Asian spouses trotted out and taking personal offence that white people are getting laughed at in a harmless video.

There's been some interesting threads on the subtle asian groups about letting white people (especially men) into asian spaces and tbh, I'd rather they be largely left out. You'd need to only point to "progressive" places like this to see how fragile and easily threatened their sense of cultural superiority is. Then consider FB and that population and ugh, don't even want to think about it*.

Ask yourself why it's always white men and ONLY white men who feel the need to enter a space reserved for Asians. You don't see any other group of men or women who feel entitled to entering our spaces. But honestly, we enable the fuck out of this kind of attitude cause you do see a lot of white worshipping in the Asian community. That's a fact.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Seeing so many people butthurt over such a small innocent video was something else but not surprising. People see "China" in the topic and you know it's gonna turn ugly. People can say they're just attacking the Chinese government but a lot of time that kind of sentiment spills over to the Chinese people and culture as a whole. Most frustrating thing about that thread were the people who didn't understand what was going on in the video and therefore it's absolutely not funny. What these people don't seem to understand is that video wasn't for their uncultured asses anyways.

Amen to that "just attacking the Chinese government" bull. Most of them hold the same views towards the people and culture. It's easier to spot in threads about ivory trade, Eastern medicine, etc.

Oh I didn't notice that in SAT, but I hope it's not a thing. It's supposed to be a place for westernized Asians to be Asian. As well intentioned as anyone else may be, I am digging having an Asian group, though I wish we could be more inclusive of South Asians as well.

Ask yourself why it's always white men and ONLY white men who feel the need to enter a space reserved for Asians. You don't see any other group of men or women who feel entitled to entering our spaces. But honestly, we enable the fuck out of this kind of attitude cause you do see a lot of white worshipping in the Asian community. That's a fact.

The white worshipping is understandable but still sad.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear this place has gotten worst than neogaf outside of the Hangouts.

I sometimes miss the old place; the limp-wristed bans have gotten people bold. Almost every thread involving Asians outside of this hangout gets my blood boiling because people say the most heinous shit and what's worse, they get away with it. I'm STILL not over how that one guy got away with reciting the white man's burden and I was the one that got slapped with a warning for being "hostile".