• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I sometimes miss the old place; the limp-wristed bans have gotten people bold. Almost every thread involving Asians outside of this hangout gets my blood boiling because people say the most heinous shit and what's worse, they get away with it. I'm STILL not over how that one guy got away with reciting the white man's burden and I was the one that got slapped with a warning for being "hostile".
Mods here really just feel like a clique and they don't want people asking questions or rocking the boat.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude took the whole fish for himself and I bet he didn't even eat the cheeks. Other dude dipping the rice in the sauce was just bak gwai icing on that gwai lo ignoramus cake.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Oh I didn't notice that in SAT, but I hope it's not a thing. It's supposed to be a place for westernized Asians to be Asian. As well intentioned as anyone else may be, I am digging having an Asian group, though I wish we could be more inclusive of South Asians as well.

The threads I saw were happening more in subtle asian leftovers & subtle asian dating. Could be in SAT too but that group is huge so I mighta missed it.

Dec 24, 2017
SAT is one of those things where I, sorry to say, am just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I just have this feeling in my gut that it's going to get real toxic sooner rather than later. But, I admit, I've only explored it very casually. Got invited, saw it, looked through it, decided not to be part of it.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
USE THE REPORT BUTTON.

This isn't aimed at anyone here, but just general advice. I spoke to one of the mods after reading this thread and he basically they can't be in every thread at once. Seriously, use that report button and see how it goes. If you want to make change, you have to be proactive as well. I was also given contacts if you guy have grievances to air, so contact me in private if you want.

Edit - Now I feel a little bad for one of the mods cause people in the discord are also ganging up on them for their moderation in other threads. LOL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Reporting only works for very blatant displays of racism.

Most of it is much more subtle, and isn't stuff you should (imo) warn people about.

Though Lesath - sorry that you got in trouble over the white man's burden thing. That's unacceptable imo.

(Though personally I feel like people still think that way, just in a PC way.)

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the time, I was mentally prepared to take the heat, but not be the ONLY person to take the heat. And yes, I had reported the offender. And no, nothing came of it. To be fair, I understand that the mods have a rough job; everyone has expectations of them and they'll never meet all of them. All I can say is the frustration hasn't gone away, and I would have kept mum about it if others weren't feeling the same way too.

Anyway, one of the key points in a implicit bias seminar I attended was the idea of "whiteness", or "white normativity", where their culture is by the standard to which all others are judged; moreover, a position from the white viewpoint is automatically afforded authority equal if not better than others (i.e. whitesplaining).

A lot of people saying "it's not a big deal" in the whole etiquette thread, and while the words themselves were innocuous, they were asserting that privilege and that really wore at my patience as time went on (especially the ones who would trot out their own personal experiences traveling in China or the trot out their SO). Some went further to ignorantly claim that food-sharing was unhygenic with ZERO understanding that their are common utensil options. Others were all about how Chinese tourists misbehave too. To that, Pet brought up a good point that hardly anybody ever offers to appoint the blame the cameraperson in the threads where Chinese tourists were misbehaving, but that luxury was somehow expected this time (why?). I'm not kidding when I said that the thread could be a case study for implicit racism, and the tragic thing is that this was to die on a hill for five white dudes doing something mildly embarrassing.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the time, I was mentally prepared to take the heat, but not be the ONLY person to take the heat. And yes, I had reported the offender. And no, nothing came of it. To be fair, I understand that the mods have a rough job; everyone has expectations of them and they'll never meet all of them. All I can say is the frustration hasn't gone away, and I would have kept mum about it if others weren't feeling the same way too.

Anyway, one of the key points in a implicit bias seminar I attended was the idea of "whiteness", or "white normativity", where their culture is by the standard to which all others are judged; moreover, a position from the white viewpoint is automatically afforded authority equal if not better than others (i.e. whitesplaining).

A lot of people saying "it's not a big deal" in the whole etiquette thread, and while the words themselves were innocuous, they were asserting that privilege and that really wore at my patience as time went on (especially the ones who would trot out their own personal experiences traveling in China or the trot out their SO). Some went further to ignorantly claim that food-sharing was unhygenic with ZERO understanding that their are common utensil options. Others were all about how Chinese tourists misbehave too. To that, Pet brought up a good point that hardly anybody ever offers to appoint the blame the cameraperson in the threads where Chinese tourists were misbehaving, but that luxury was somehow expected this time (why?). I'm not kidding when I said that the thread could be a case study for implicit racism, and the tragic thing is that this was to die on a hill for five white dudes doing something mildly embarrassing.
Was this the McCain or the heist thread? Couple of Chans showed up in those threads too.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The defensiveness and bias in that thread over a silly viral video is surprising and also not surprising.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was this the McCain or the heist thread? Couple of Chans showed up in those threads too.

Was the heist thread. I stayed out of the McCain thread because I had nothing nice to say (and was thus unaware of the shitshow).

Also, just peeked into the social credit thread. I really do like how one of the more frequent attacks is that we're stanning for the Chinese government, when a LOT of us are descendants of those who were driven to Taiwan, or had otherwise suffered greatly under the Cultural Revolution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Was the heist thread. I stayed out of the McCain thread because I had nothing nice to say (and was thus unaware of the shitshow).

Also, just peeked into the social credit thread. I really do like how one of the more frequent attacks is that we're stanning for the Chinese government, when a LOT of us are descendants of those who were driven to Taiwan, or had otherwise suffered greatly under the Cultural Revolution.

I don't think most white people understand the distinction.

But they're happy to tell you how China oppresses Taiwan.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I tried to explain the difference and splashback on us. I'm sure you can guess how that went down...and some of it was from one of our own. Like wtf.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I took a peek; Asian Spike and Faye have generally garnered positive reception, but who knows how long that will last. I'm really happy with the decision and hope the series succeeds.

If you don't say "Fuck China" or "China don't care" you're a China apologist, them's the rules

What's funny is that like half of the Asian posts there have that caveat at the end and it still didn't matter.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Has anyone been to Parks bbq in ktown? Somehow that's the one kbbq place I've avoided going to all my life living in and around LA and kind of wanna see if it lives up to the hype.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like that other place might've had more people pointing out how archaic cultural imperialism is and why we shouldn't subscribe to it.

I also feel like a lot of people are more obsessed with appearing to be progressive than actually being progressive.

The incident that has always stuck with me was that thread about Trevor Noah's racist jokes about Indigenous Australians. There were people who were in there saying "Oh no the alt-right are trying to bring him down, so we should defend him."

I mean seriously? It doesn't matter who it is and whether another despicable group of people have targeted them. If they made some racist jokes, they should be called out rather than defended.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like that other place might've had more people pointing out how archaic cultural imperialism is and why we shouldn't subscribe to it.

I also feel like a lot of people are more obsessed with appearing to be progressive than actually being progressive.

The incident that has always stuck with me was that thread about Trevor Noah's racist jokes about Indigenous Australians. There were people who were in there saying "Oh no the alt-right are trying to bring him down, so we should defend him."

I mean seriously? It doesn't matter who it is and whether another despicable group of people have targeted them. If they made some racist jokes, they should be called out rather than defended.

I remember this thread at the old place about china banning videos of women eating bananas. It basically just devolved to "haha Asians have small dicks" jokes.

Of course some of the members making racist jokes or defending them are on Era now decrying racists and criticizing Trump lol.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time for toxicity here or anywhere, I just lurk asian creatives network and look at the cool shit people are getting up to.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Zoe

00100dportrait_00100_0fiez.jpg

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Man lemme tell you I'm tired of trying to date lol

Trying to find a nice asian girl in Austin is tough if you're not a student at the local university

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i got a first meet lined up tomorrow myself. first date since i got back on the apps (amazingly I didn't add any new photos because any new ones I took over the past few months have all been shithouse)

she seems nice over text~

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cheese balls are still a thing? Where?
So... beautiful ;_;

Edit: ordered!
Damn. Now I want some lol. Haven't had those in years.
I just now ordered some for my dad. That and a case of Vienna sausages.

Old Korean men have weird ass drinking snacks.
I just bought the last 2 4 packs on walmart.com.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Let me know how the shipping and delivery is for Walmart's online store. I need to know if they're alright before I order some cheese balls lol.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let me know how the shipping and delivery is for Walmart's online store. I need to know if they're alright before I order some cheese balls lol.
Haha...will do. My last order with them kinda sucked because the toy package was busted open. I was tempted to buy a transformer for free shipping, but changed my mind.

Sadly a lot of the reviews say that the cheese balls aren't the same as they used to be.
Probably missing MSG and transfats.

Nov 3, 2017
So I'm new to dating apps, but is Coffee Meets Bagel meant to be super racist?

The gimmick is that you get to view far fewer profiles a day compared to Tinder, but the algorithm is meant to curate profiles based on your interests and preferences.

But so far, it seems the only thing the app pulls from is my race. My first 100 or so profiles were exclusively Asian, and only changed when I changed my preference to not include Asians, which in itself feels super fucking gross.

Last edited:

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So I'm new to dating apps, but is Coffee Meets Bagel meant to be super racist?

The gimmick is that you get to view far fewer profiles a day compared to Tinder, but the algorithm is meant to curate profiles based on your interests and preferences.

But so far, it seems the only thing the app pulls from is my race. My first 100 or so profiles were exclusively Asian, and only changed when I changed my preference to not include Asians, which in itself feels super fucking gross.

Last I remember its partially based on friends of friends since its facebook login. So if your social circle is largely asian and so on then...might be wrong though, it's been awhile since I was on that app.

Nov 3, 2017
Last I remember its partially based on friends of friends since its facebook login. So if your social circle is largely asian and so on then...might be wrong though, it's been awhile since I was on that app.

I'm actually pretty sure I didn't log in via Facebook. Either way though, while there's a definite Asian skew in my Facebook friends due to my years living and working in Malaysia, it's definitely not skewed anywhere near this much

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
CmB has always been way more Asian recommending to me than any other app (particularly Bumble which skews super white for some reason)

Anyway, date was a bit of a fizzler