• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Is he like secretly brilliant? Like maybe win a Nobel Prize brilliant...... Just trying to think of reasons to be with him or whatever, you know, understand the logic here.

Dec 24, 2017
Is he like secretly brilliant? Like maybe win a Nobel Prize brilliant...... Just trying to think of reasons to be with him or whatever, you know, understand the logic here.

Honestly? Sometimes people make weird decisions in Chicago as winter approaches so they can hibernate with someone until it gets warmer. Maybe there is an attraction. He's a chemist, works for pharma.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
It is cuffing season so...... I see what TrailerParkRanger is saying. Then spring comes around and they bounce to another relationship. I'm not saying your friend is like that but I've known some people who do that here.

And what you said is true. People are weird.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
lol of the day: someone used "chink of china" (as in the sound of a cup on saucer) completely innocently in an article we published until a sub looked at it and said "we can probably just use 'clink' and save ourselves the hassle"

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Friend just got back from her annual family trip to Indonesia which also included a stay in Bali and a short stop in Thailand.
She said it disgusted her how many just fat old white guys with much younger Thai/Indo girls there were, at this point now, if you're white and alone in a South East Asian country, I assume you're only there to be a gross sex tourist.

Dec 24, 2017
Friend just got back from her annual family trip to Indonesia which also included a stay in Bali and a short stop in Thailand.
She said it disgusted her how many just fat old white guys with much younger Thai/Indo girls there were, at this point now, if you're white and alone in a South East Asian country, I assume you're only there to be a gross sex tourist.

That's not fair. Some are there to proselytize.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I just moved here a few months ago and am here for the year for school. City is great and the Mexican food has been a pleasant surprise but I'm still having a hard time finding Asian places that I like. I noticed there's a ton of Sichuan mala places in Chinatown... What are some good areas for Asian food?

Sorry to derail your rant...I think you're right to let your friend figure it out....dude is a dweeb not a wife beater. You just have to trust that she'll figure it out eventually...

On the flip side, my close friend married into an old money white family. I know Asian families are tough but hearing the shit that he goes through with his mother in law and the fact that his wife kinda has him on lock....

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I just moved here a few months ago and am here for the year for school. City is great and the Mexican food has been a pleasant surprise but I'm still having a hard time finding Asian places that I like. I noticed there's a ton of Sichuan mala places in Chinatown... What are some good areas for Asian food?

Sorry to derail your rant...I think you're right to let your friend figure it out....dude is a dweeb not a wife beater. You just have to trust that she'll figure it out eventually...

On the flip side, my close friend married into an old money white family. I know Asian families are tough but hearing the shit that he goes through with his mother in law and the fact that his wife kinda has him on lock....

Where is here?

Dec 24, 2017

Viet food - Argyle Red Line stop.

If you are on the north side and don't want to go to Chinatown for Hong Kong style bbq, Sun Wah, also off the Argyle redline stop.

Japanese food - Honestly, better in the burbs. But, Kai Zan In Humbold Park has octopus takoyaki. It's my favorite Japanese place in the city. High end, Momotaro. Yeah, it's a Boka joint, but it's good. Chicago had a J-Town, but it's gone.

Korean - Also better in the burbs. But for non KBBQ, I like Cho Sun Ok and the snack stand at Joong Boo market. For KBBQ, White people keep saying San Soo Gab San, then they order bulgogi, like it's the kids menu. Gogi, for me is the KBBQ spot in Chicago.

Thai - It's kind of everywhere. Rainbow Cuisine is my preferred spot for more traditional Thai dishes.

Korean-Chinese - Great Seas.

Hawaiian - Aloha Eats. It's next to the best cupcake joint in the city too, with the dreamiest tattooed lady bakers. Only issue I have with them, they don't have shrimp plates.

There are also a ton of Korean fusion spots all over town too.

Are you looking for something specific?

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I live near UIC...The area I'm at is apparently called the medical district. I haven't had much time to do any exploring...So whenever I feel like eating Chinese food... I would just grab something from Chinatown. It's either that or I would go to HMart to eat.

In this weather...all I feel like eating is stew and noodle soup...

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017
I live near UIC...The area I'm at is apparently called the medical district. I haven't had much time to do any exploring...So whenever I feel like eating Chinese food... I would just grab something from Chinatown. It's either that or I would go to HMart to eat.

Ah, I know that neighborhood decently well. I totally left out South Asian food, which is up north on Devon.

You're not going to have a problem finding food to eat in Chicago fortunately. Have you been to Jim's Original yet? Because living near UIC that is a must. Let me know if you need to be pointed in a particular direction for things. But man, its is fun exploring this city.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just had breakfast in the Philippines. As it turns out, Filipino corned beef is nothing like American corned beef and is way, way, way better. Now I understand why my wife always ordered corned beef and gets disappointed.

Also, I'm convinced the FDA purposely makes American milk suck.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
No I haven't....appreciate the recommendations given already. Wife is flying over to visit next week so we'll have places to try.

Dec 24, 2017
Just had breakfast in the Philippines. As it turns out, Filipino corned beef is nothing like American corned beef and is way, way, way better. Now I understand why my wife always ordered corned beef and gets disappointed.

Actually its the cows. Milk in American comes from breeds that have this certain type of protein, that milk in Asian breeds of dairy cows do not have. Instead, they have another type of protein. It triggers lactose intolerance, like if you are from Asia and were OK with milk there, coming to America, the dairy milk here will trigger it.

Dec 24, 2017
No I haven't....appreciate the recommendations given already. Wife is flying over to visit next week so we'll have places to try.

Korean fusion places I would recommend, Mott Street, Parachute, and Kimski. Fat Rice is Macanese (Macau?) and I don't know how to describe it. Like Southeeast Asian-y/Portuguese?

But Small Cheval in Bucktown should definitely be your late night burger spot to take your wife, if she likes burgers.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Actually its the cows. Milk in American comes from breeds that have this certain type of protein, that milk in Asian breeds of dairy cows do not have. Instead, they have another type of protein. It triggers lactose intolerance, like if you are from Asia and were OK with milk there, coming to America, the dairy milk here will trigger it.
It's the A2 protein, right? You can actually get that in America, too, and European (at least in Holland) milk also better than American. My thinking is that it's due to the pasteurization process.

Dec 24, 2017
Yeah the A2 thing. And yeah, even pasteurization. I remember when Korea started pasteurizing their dairy, it still tasted different because of the protein thing though. So it might be both? Asian milk messes up my insides though.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

If there's one thing the Philippines does well, it's making their meats taste super good.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In this weather...all I feel like eating is stew and noodle soup...

Oh you're near the UIC medical district? There's not a huge amount of food that I *really* liked in that specific area (but then again I was a poor student*). In the Taylor street area I liked Damenzo's pizza for really cheap food.

TrailerParkRanger mentioned like everything I wanted to. Cocoro is pretty good for Japanese food, Strings is pretty okay for ramen, and BBQ King in Chinatown plaza is the best duck outside of Sun Wah in Chicago.

There's this one Korean restaurant I went to once that was run by an old couple and sold really good stews (including an army stew or something). I can't remember what it was called :(

* I'm still a poor student, fuck

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the A2 thing. And yeah, even pasteurization. I remember when Korea started pasteurizing their dairy, it still tasted different because of the protein thing though. So it might be both? Asian milk messes up my insides though.
Pretty sure the A2-only thing is a load of hogwash.

There is a dairy company that started up in A/NZ, conveniently called the A2 Milk Company that specifically sells milk with only the A2 protein. They originally made some dubious claims about regular milk before settling on the digestive benefits angle for their milk. In any case, I've heard their products have taken off and become high demand in China due to their claims.

There isn't enough research to support their claims at all, except for dubious studies that they've funded. Here is some more information about it:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-06-19/dr-karl-a1-vs-a2-milk/9879800

To me, the whole A2 protein thing is just a company trying to sell their milk at 3x the price. I have heard people say milk in Asia tastes different but I'm not sure it's because of the protein.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017
Pretty sure the A2-only thing is a load of hogwash.

There is a dairy company that started up in A/NZ, conveniently called the A2 Milk Company that specifically sells milk with only the A2 protein. They originally made some dubious claims about regular milk before settling on the digestive benefits angle for their milk. In any case, I've heard their products have taken off and become high demand in China due to their claims.

There isn't enough research to support their claims at all, except for dubious studies that they've funded. Here is some more information about it:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-06-19/dr-karl-a1-vs-a2-milk/9879800

To me, the whole A2 protein thing is just a company trying to sell their milk at 3x the price. I have heard people say milk in Asia tastes different but I'm not sure it's because of the protein.

Maybe? Probably. It's just something I read a long time ago. I've seen the A2 milk here and I've never thought, "Oh, it's that milk whose taste I don't like and turns my butt into a jacuzzi jet. I should get some."

I wonder what specific breed of cows they use for dairy in Asia. Would they be that different? I took a tour of a cheese place in Wisconsin, and they said most of America uses Holsteins for milk.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No for real, he adds -chan to the end of her name. I dropped food out of my mouth when I heard it. She is not Japanese.

23578.gif

I'm looking at this more like, you get on a bike after a while, and think you can ride just as well as you did before? You need to get that first crash out of the way.

I have been asked as a favor to attend his martial arts school. I'm going to go.
You know what you need to do.

Dec 24, 2017
You know what you need to do.

So, my initial thoughts on this manner. Dave-sama doesn't know that I train in South American ground karate.

1. I show up in my Brazilian jiujitsu gi, and politely attend his class, and try to suppress the attitude that even at my low level, I can submit probably every person there.

2. I show up in my Brazilian jiujitsu gi, and when there is sparring (I checked.), I take down Dave-sama and choke him as fast as I can manage. I will look like an absolute savage if I did that. It's total disrespect. Of that school, the instructors, everything. I'm not comfortable with that at all.

3. Show up in street clothes, with a BJJ t-shirt and attempt to negotiate sparring with Dave-sama wherein, he understands that I will throw him to the ground and make his life uncomfortable for the time we are to spar. I honestly don't know anyone dumb enough to let this happen, but I'm counting on Dave-sama defend the honor of the unarmed combat styles of Glorious Nippon.

4. Show up in street clothes with no BJJ t-shirt. Do not participate in class. See if Dave-sama wants to show me his moves after class in some informal sparring and them make his existence on the mat uncomfortable.

5. Invite Dave-sama to open mat at my place, and this way there is no illusion about what is going to happen, and just wreck him for 25 minutes. And that doesn't count the 25 minutes other people from my school will probably wreck him.

The problem with all of this, is that its really shallow, stupid male posturing. The people who run his school seem very nice. I see them and other people from school at community events wearing their goofy t-shirts and karate pants board breaking and all that business. And that's all good, the people going there, that's their happy place for martial arts. If they wanted something different, they would go somewhere else. It's not like they live in a bubble and don't know what other martial arts are.

So, if I do anything. I'm going to show up to class. Not mention anything about anything. Go through the motions. But, it won't happen until after the holidays anyway, and honestly, I think that my friend will probably mention to her bf that "Hey, TrailerPark trains in BJJ, I don't think he wants to learn karate." before that point.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#2 cracked me up

I mean, he seems harmless aside from the racism/weeb factor...I guess?

All I can say is thank god I'm not single.

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Literal quote from this man: No, I don't think Asian women have to be subservient or docile. But those who are immigrants are raised with that, so even though I totally encourage them to be independent and free, you have to admit that, it's nice to have that there.

Me: The fuck are you on about? Are you serious?

Him: (Probably thinking "Baka gaijin.")

No for real, he adds -chan to the end of her name. I dropped food out of my mouth when I heard it. She is not Japanese.
LOL. I'm sorry but this just makes me question your friend more than anything. Like I wouldn't tell them to break up with the person but I'd probably lose respect for them.

Last edited: