• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
o0600045014274902761.jpg

as far as I'm concerned, cheetos should just come with a pair of chopsticks.

Dec 24, 2017
I've never used drink soup. I don't even think it's drink soup in Korean, but that might be because Korean was an invented language. I wonder if the Chinese base when referring to soup was "drink."

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Discord being revived? I thought it was just a stopgap during the exodus to ERA because activity inside it pretty much stopped after AsianERA was set up.
I've never used drink soup. I don't even think it's drink soup in Korean, but that might be because Korean was an invented language. I wonder if the Chinese base when referring to soup was "drink."
The verb used for consuming soup is "drink" in Chinese, Japanese and Korean from what I can see.

Speaking of which, what is take medicine in different Asian languages? It's to "drink" in Japanese, and I can sorta see why, but it seems archaic when so many medicines are in pills or tablets now.

Last edited:

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I've always used drink when it comes to soup as well, at least in Japanese. In English it's clearly eat, though. I asked my (American) girlfriend and she kind of gave me a look and asked me if this was a trick question, though, so it does seem just cultural.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Discord being revived? I thought it was just a stopgap during the exodus to ERA because activity inside it pretty much stopped after AsianERA was set up.

The verb used for consuming soup is "drink" in Chinese, Japanese and Korean from what I can see.

Speaking of which, what is take medicine in different Asian languages? It's to "drink" in Japanese, and I can sorta see why, but it seems archaic when so many medicines are in pills or tablets now.

It's "eat" in Chinese.

Side note, how many of ya'll ever accidentally say "close the lights"?

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
In Chinese I say: drink soup, close the lights, eat medicine.
In English I say: eat soup, shut the lights, take medicine.

🤷

Dec 24, 2017

In Korean, soup is eaten. However, broth is drank. I wonder if that's what it is.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Help y'all.

How do I tactfully tell the white receptionist that when she's giving us food choices, that I'd really like one with actual taste and flavor?

Our older receptionist was a PoC so she always included one for white people and one for everyone else (Indian, Thai, etc). Now, the new receptionist gives us the choices between California Pizza Kitchen and Panda Express.

HELPPPP. "Today, can we have one option that's a bit more seasoned and flavorful?"

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Help y'all.

How do I tactfully tell the white receptionist that when she's giving us food choices, that I'd really like one with actual taste and flavor?

Our older receptionist was a PoC so she always included one for white people and one for everyone else (Indian, Thai, etc). Now, the new receptionist gives us the choices between California Pizza Kitchen and Panda Express.

HELPPPP. "Today, can we have one option that's a bit more seasoned and flavorful?"

"Ooh, what about *insert suggestion here*? I heard that place was really good!"

If she suggests something else, tell her that you're not really feeling that choice today

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
"Ooh, what about *insert suggestion here*? I heard that place was really good!"

If she suggests something else, tell her that you're not really feeling that choice today

Yeah I think I'll try that. "What about Indian as one of the choices tomorrow?"

It's a pre-selected places since they have to be able to do large catering orders.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tell her to keep her bland ass potato salad to herself...lolz

I would be passive aggressive and just drop some menus at her desk. Asking her if she's ever tried so and so place is a lot nicer though.

So glad don't have to deal with it anymore. I can have great Asian food any time I want during the day. It's where I live that's the issue!

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Discord update: I added new channels and planning on deleting the migration ones. Next steps are to have some fun with some roles and add more emojis.

giphy.gif

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
OMIGOD meph MAKES FUN OF ME FOR DOING THIS.

I thought it was just because I'm an idiot lol.

My mom keeps saying to slow down the TV when she means turn the volume down. I suspect I have similar misapplied verb issues, lol.

I think I was invited to the discord way back when, are we starting a new one or is the old one?

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mom keeps saying to slow down the TV when she means turn the volume down. I suspect I have similar misapplied verb issues, lol.

I think I was invited to the discord way back when, are we starting a new one or is the old one?
Old one. I see you on the list, but let me know if you want an invite.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
https://m.scmp.com/week-asia/opinio...were-white-until-white-men-called-them-yellow

In fact, when complexion was mentioned by an early Western traveller or missionary or ambassador (and it very often wasn't, because skin colour as a racial marker was not fully in place until the 19th century), East Asians were almost always called white, particularly during the period of first modern contact in the 16th century. And on a number of occasions, even more revealingly, the people were termed "as white as we are".

The term yellow occasionally began to appear towards the end of the 18th century and then really took hold of the Western imagination in the 19th. But by the 17th century, the Chinese and Japanese were "darkening" in published texts, gradually losing their erstwhile whiteness when it became clear they would remain unwilling to participate in European systems of trade, religion, and international relations.
The most significant aspect of Blumenbach's conception was that for the first time all the peoples of the East had been lumped together into an explicitly racial category, here called the Mongolian, which was to become just as menacing and fateful as its much more notorious sister term, Caucasian, which was introduced at exactly the same moment. It is crucial to understand that it was not simply that Asians had been coloured yellow in 1795; Mongolians had.
"Yellow" was thus a racial marker that had meaning only in relation to the other colours, all of which were defined as against white "normality". In Blumenbach's case, Europeans were in the centre of a racial tableau flanked by "Mongolians" and "Ethiopians" with "Americans" and "Malays" in between (Malay was a new, fifth race, comprising the inhabitants of the South Pacific and Australia, only recently discovered). The yellow race became invested with associations that insured that its physical and cultural features were different (or, rather, deviant) from the white European norm. And for other thinkers far more racially virulent than Blumenbach, the races became part of an explicit hierarchy with European white at the top and African black at the bottom, with the "intermediate" races somewhere in the middle.
Medical research frequently attempted to define the race as embodying certain physical conditions that distinguished them from Caucasians, including the "Mongolian eyefold" (a fold of skin covering the canthus or inner corner of the eye), "Mongolian spots" (congenital bluish marks appearing in infants on their lower back or buttocks), and "Mongolism", today known as Down syndrome. Each of these conditions was at first supposed to be endemic to the Mongolian race only (and hence their names), and much as in the anthropological obsession with human measurement, these conditions purported to show how the yellow race differed from the healthy and fully developed normality of white European bodies.
It was at the end of the 19th century that the notion of yellow became canonised in every European language (and East Asian ones). This was the invention of the so-called Yellow Peril in 1895, brought into worldwide circulation by an illustration made after a drawing by Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany and designed as a call to arms for European nations to protect themselves from the potential onslaught of East Asian military aggression, social degradation, and emigration to the West.

Yellow was a fantasy like all other racial groupings. It cannot be traced back before the end of the 18th century, and it had no basis in anything other than an attempt to distance certain peoples of the world from an equally fantasised concept of whiteness.

Is it not time that we stopped using this term? Why are we still calling people yellow?
🤔

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i actually tend more towards brown, don't know how much is any malay genes that snuck in there and howmuch is just beach burn

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought our exclusion from "whiteness" was weird as a kid, but nowadays I'd rather keep the label of "yellow", because it's not only a helpful reminder that the powerful do not see us as their equals, but that we're in this struggle together, with our fellow peoples of color.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I thought our exclusion from "whiteness" was weird as a kid, but nowadays I'd rather keep the label of "yellow", because it's not only a helpful reminder that the powerful do not see us as their equals, but that we're in this struggle together, with our fellow peoples of color.

Hm. I've been thinking of something and your posts sums it up for me.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
gonna try and make rendang tonight in the pressure cooker see if it speeds up the simmering process in an acceptable manner

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Alexa_%26_Katie_titlecard.jpg

So this show, Alexa & Katie, is a pretty standard, bad Disney Channel-esque sitcom on Netflix.

However, the dad is an Asian guy (!), and the mom is Kelly Kapowski (!!).

Show is lame though.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
He's the legit dad, I believe. Only the girl on the left is the daughter, and the people in the right are her friend's family. Not sure about dude in the middle. Probably love interest or something.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
big news!

https://hk.entertainment.appledaily.com/enews/realtime/article/20190211/59245825
kungfu hustle 2 revealed
not a sequel but a modern day reboot-ish,so stephen himself might make a cameo appearance

nice la!
I'd be excited if all his films after it weren't so bad :|

I'd never heard of the term POC until the last few years and I don't really identify with being a colour.

Last edited: