• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 24, 2017
More the, why did I buy another kitchen gadget?

Edit: just made jook in like 20 minutes. I'm never speaking ill of this machine again. Although, will my Cuckoo be jealous?

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
instant pots as it turns out are a fancy name for 'pressure cooker'

they are dope, pork belly has never been easier to make

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instant pots are amazing

Like I can buy a chicken, stick it in the instant pot, and 30 minutes later there's cooked chicken

It's magical

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to get a Air Fryer lol. I'm probably going to get that before I get a Instant Pot.

Come to think of it..... My rice cooker has different settings so maybe I can mess with that some time 🤔

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
you can actually make a pretty decent hainanese chicken rice in a slow cooker/instant pot

admittedly it's mostly just chucking the paste in, but shhhh

Dec 24, 2017
My collection of kitchen gadgets is weird because I don't have a stomach and can't accommodate more than say, a cup of food before I feel insanely ill.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I had one of these before:

clear-tayama-countertop-ovens-to-2000-64_1000.jpg

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017

I don't actually know the real name of it lol. Homedepot lists it as "Countertop Oven" and the related items are listed as "Convection Countertop Oven".

The name checks out so it is indeed a Convection Countertop Oven 🤣

When I used to have one I never made french fries with it. Just never thought it was meant for that lol. Now I know that I can do a lot more with it.

Last edited:

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Cleaning that was kind of scary because it's made of glass lol. The oil cleanup was just..... Never wanted to do it.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
CRA got nominated for best comedy/musical at the Golden Globes, and Constance Wu was nominated for best actress.

Dec 24, 2017
Confession, my image of David Chang giving the middle fingers in the Chinese food syndrome thread is actually directed at the OP and every single goddamn person who thinks its a real thing, and most of the non-Asians who post in thread asserting some sort of expertise about Asians, the diaspora, etc because they are a fucking weeb. Sorry, I've had a weird day.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The Chinese food syndrome stuff is one of the dumbest things I keep seeing on here. Just like how apparently most people can't handle Taco Bell. I think that says more about them than the food they're eating.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had digestive issues after eating at Taco Bell. The shady-ass Jack in the Box near me, on the other hand...

Cultural Appropriation?

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.eater.com/2018/12/7/18130579/andrew-zimmern-lucky-cricket-controversy-visit

The dan dan noodles were perhaps the most disappointing item we ordered. The flat egg noodles were a strange improvisation from the thin and cylindrical ones that a diner would normally see in this dish — are Midwesterners not used to spaghetti? To make matters more dire, the noodles were overdone to an Easy Mac consistency. The ground pork topping, meant to carry tang from pickled greens and numbing spice from ground Sichuan peppers, tasted like microwaved, airline economy-class breakfast sausage and was bereft of moisture. If we evaluate Zimmern in his self-appointed role as an educator, he has failed to introduce the dish properly.

That the kitchen's interpretation of the basics of Chinese meals — noodles and rice — were remarkably deficient is telling: So much went into the over-the-top aesthetic of the place, yet the details, those nuances that would supposedly shame every Panda Express cook in the nation, were actually worse for the wear. If Zimmern hadn't set expectations so high on the realness scale, perhaps one would have forgiven the kitchen for its mishandling of building-block Chinese dishes. But if you can't do noodles and rice, maybe try barking up someone else's tree.

By the host station, there was already a wall of merch: T-shirts saying "Get lucky" awkwardly machine-translated into Chinese characters (a point of pride for Zimmern in the Fast Company interview) and a collection of kitschy Tiki mugs. Regardless of any complaints one might have about the rest of the restaurant's authenticity, at least we know the mugs were manufactured in China.

lol

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
And it's not appreciation for the countless Chinese-American restaurateurs and cooks who adapted their cuisines to meet American palates where they were. Those pioneers did this for the sakes of their livelihoods and families, working day and night hawking General Tso's chicken and sweet-and-sour pork so their kids could go to college. It's hard to watch a well-resourced and connected outsider like Zimmern denigrate their contributions to American food culture while intending to profit off of the same.

I think this sums up how I see it pretty well.

Dec 24, 2017
I happened to hang out with some young people last night, like in college young people. I forgot how much girls have their shit together more than boys do at that age.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how does one connect polynesian totem design to fucking chinese cuisine? lol
With a combination of jack and ass. This shithead basically took the experiences/stereotypes of his youth going to Chinese restaurants and superimposed it on some white people shit. A lot of Chinese restaurants that opened in the 70's had a Polynesian theme because authenticity/Chinatown was too chinky for them. These places were in the burbs and served up mai tai's and scorpion bowls.

Fuck Zimmern and that MSG thread. I hope someone opens up a rotten durian in that joint.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
So I saw a video of Lucky Cricket where Andrew Zimmern is showing off the decor and talking about the food. I don't see how any of this stuff is authentic. He shows off his Tuk tuk that was brought from China where "making out" is supposed to happen to his restaurants interpretations of Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup which looked really terribad. My thing is this..let's not discuss how offensive this is to Asian American immigrant restaurants but how little does he think of his fellow midwesterners? ... If I were a non Asian MN resident, I'd be frankly insulted about how little he thinks of midwesterners in general. The whole restaurants just smacks of a "I'm more worldly than you" attitude. This is 2018, not 1978.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Zimmern can suck a fat eggroll. You don't shit on your fellow Midwesterners like that.

What's the issue this time about msg Power of Sparda? MSG makes almost everything better though. Is it the usual shit like last time?

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Zimmern can suck a fat eggroll. You don't shit on your fellow Midwesterners like that.

What's the issue this time about msg Power of Sparda? MSG makes almost everything better though. Is it the usual shit like last time?
Oh boy. This time they're not even going after MSG, it's the full blown "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" shit like those are the only places where the food has MSG. This is Era, where people shit on astrology because it's whack and then completely accept that MSG in Chinese and only Chinese food causes migraines and will probably give you cancer and make your hair fall out.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not only that, but their frame of reference is broken in the first place. I only eat at McDonald's and Denny's. Is American food syndrome a real thing?

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
The first MSG studies only showed it as dangerous because they were injecting concentrations toxic for horses into mice. Of course you're going to elicit pathology. Too much of anything will kill you, even water.

The sillier issue is that glutamate is an amino acid that we use as a neurotransmitter as well as a metabolite to get rid of toxic ammonia due to the catabolism of amino acids. We literally couldn't live without glutamate.

Last edited: