• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I do understand why, but I don't understand why it has to be passed down to us.

I mean he holds like... all Japanese people personally responsible and it's annoying AF. If I ever mention sushi or doing anything Japanese he always HAS to make a remark about, oh, yes, "the Japanese <some racially charged comment here>." Then again, he voted for Trump, so who the fuck knows.

He works for a Japanese company too, and even though he's happy there I think he resents how all the top brass are Japanese. But, that's what it's like for a lot of Asian companies - top execs at Samsung US are still Koreans, top people at Kingston are Taiwanese, etc. I don't even know.

I totally get what you're saying. It's not like my family are any different. Though in my case, I guess I can blame it on them being uneducated.

Also, for whatever reason, alt-right Asians piss me off more than alt-right people from other races. I think it's because it feels a little more personal when you see people from a similiar background spouting these horrible beliefs. The fact that we are minorities ourselves and choose to ally with others to suppress other minorities disgusts me even more.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Careful with this DNA stuff, you might find out you're 0.001% black!!! The horror!

Seriously though, how far do these DNA tests go? It would be amazing if it went back 200,000 years or so.

Well, we all pass down our Mitochondrial DNA unchanged through our maternal side so in some respects it does go back to the dawn of mankind, more or less. But for all other DNA it gets chopped up too much that you won't get much beyond 10000 years if you're lucky. Supposedly I have about 5 percent African in me, 23 and me estimates from the 16-17th century. But it's really hard to say where that came from, and when you're dealing with numbers that low it's probably going to be a little suspect to begin with. My mom always thought that my dad has a little Moorish in him on account of his last name, but this isn't like near east stuff it's more like deep African stuff, so that theory doesn't pan out as much.

My mom would be very upset if she weren't anything other than descended from Amaterasu, so I'm sure she's happy to indirectly confirm that she's full Japanese. She'd probably be pretty upset if she had anything else in her, which is dumb but whatever. I get why other Asian countries dislike the Japanese but I never really understood the reverse that much.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I was thinking of Mitochondrial DNA. Might be able to map out how we traveled all the way to China and what stops were made along the way. Of course this is a very very VERY optimistic thinking. I know there are a lot of factors like possibility of contamination.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Yeah, I was thinking of Mitochondrial DNA. Might be able to map out how we traveled all the way to China and what stops were made along the way. Of course this is a very very VERY optimistic thinking. I know there are a lot of factors like possibility of contamination.

In that way mutations are a benefit though, because it gives you an anchor point of where a change did occur. Unfortunately 23 and me isn't that detailed though, they give you a rough overview of your migration haplogroups and that's about it. It's probably not possible for them to present to you in more specific detail though, maybe that's something you can do with the raw data that you download.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I get why other Asian countries dislike the Japanese but I never really understood the reverse that much.

TBH I assumed it was a superiority thing.

Like, they consider themselves the most noble and civilized? Rest of us are barbarians ;D. That was my impression, anyway.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole 23andme thing sounds fun but I really don't want to give my genetic data to that company

nofunallowed.jpg

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell, Septimus Prime , these Cheez Balls canisters are tiny!
I know. I was wondering if it was because I was much smaller when I had them in the past, but no, these cans are tiny and overpriced.

However, holy shit, they're so good. Way better than that Utz garbage.

He works for a Japanese company too, and even though he's happy there I think he resents how all the top brass are Japanese.
Real talk, working for a Japanese company without being Japanese suuuuucks.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
my experience of japanese work-life balance was that they don't have any

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
I do understand why, but I don't understand why it has to be passed down to us.

I mean he holds like... all Japanese people personally responsible and it's annoying AF. If I ever mention sushi or doing anything Japanese he always HAS to make a remark about, oh, yes, "the Japanese <some racially charged comment here>." Then again, he voted for Trump, so who the fuck knows.

He works for a Japanese company too, and even though he's happy there I think he resents how all the top brass are Japanese. But, that's what it's like for a lot of Asian companies - top execs at Samsung US are still Koreans, top people at Kingston are Taiwanese, etc. I don't even know.
TBH I assumed it was a superiority thing.

Like, they consider themselves the most noble and civilized? Rest of us are barbarians ;D. That was my impression, anyway.

Uhhh, not sure if I'm being trolled here, but isn't it all due to WWII? :p

Also, the Alice Walker thread is peak ERA mod racism at its finest.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean even besides the whole giving away your DNA to corporation thing the idea of there being 'Korean' genes or whatever is a bit bleh from me.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh, not sure if I'm being trolled here, but isn't it all due to WWII? :p

Also, the Alice Walker thread is peak ERA mod racism at its finest.
The rest of Asia hating Japan is a WWII thing. Think everyone was talking about the other way round.

Honestly if people are still around after the inevitable refugee super-crisis climate change is bringing I think we'll maybe start to move on from this idea of racial purity, or more likely the lines will just get redrawn.
More likely it'll be the other way round with people resenting the influx of unwanted refugees and the shift in society that brings. Just look at the migrant crisis in Europe the last couple years.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Honestly it's gotten to the point now where if somebody knows where you've been then they can sequence your DNA. That's what sorta convinced me to do it in the first place, we are entering a time when it's cheap enough to do it to just about anything so if they start doing racial purity tests then we're all screwed anyways. Well, at least I am.

Dec 24, 2017
Late night sushi with friends and Dave-san is there.

Nothing bad happens until Dave-San, who opened the drawer in the table and pulled out a set of chopstick/fork things. He grins at me and says "Hey, it's Asian-American, just like you."

"Dave, I will murder you."

I really killed the chill vibe of the late night sushi.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I've decided to die on the "No Dave-San" hill and have planted my flag here. My only allies are my sense of self-righteousness and my friend's sister who is here from out of town for the holidays. We will both die on this hill. We're gonna spend the next 10 days getting high and hating on things we mutually hate.
That's not really a hill, IMO. His weeb ass probably doesn't realize it, but that's a pretty shitty thing to say to someone.

Dec 24, 2017
That's not really a hill, IMO. His weeb ass probably doesn't realize it, but that's a pretty shitty thing to say to someone.

I honestly think, much like wide swaths of Resetera, Dave-san doesn't really understand the difference between Asians and the diaspora. I really think from Dave-san sees the Asian diaspora as an aberrant population of our respective cultures.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More likely it'll be the other way round with people resenting the influx of unwanted refugees and the shift in society that brings. Just look at the migrant crisis in Europe the last couple years.
True but I was thinking in the longer-run like centuries which isn't very good historical thinking of me for several reasons ;__;

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Merry Christmas everyone!

Proud Asians don't celebrate these filthy Western Holidays.

NTFFqxx.jpg

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Disney On Ice. There's a segment where most of the princesses come out and skate with their dudes. Mulan comes out, and her partner is a white guy wearing a dark wig and fake eyebrows. What the fuck.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Disney On Ice. There's a segment where most of the princesses come out and skate with their dudes. Mulan comes out, and her partner is a white guy wearing a dark wig and fake eyebrows. What the fuck.
I feel like I need some context for this. How were the other dudes? I hope Disney world is better with this or I'm going to pitch a fit.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of subtle asian ____ group appearing on facebook. What's that all about? I haven't joined any of them, but they're on the suggested list.

Dec 24, 2017

Let's be a little bit more pragmatic about this. How many Asian guys are involved in ice skating? How many Asian guys are involved in musical theatre? How many can do both? Maybe there is the Asian guy who does both, but he's in super high demand and its just not feasible for him to do every show, and you lucked out and got Chet, the understudy.

It was rare growing up seeing an Asian kid playing hockey, so the fact that there were two Asian-American men on the US Olympic in high profile was kind of impressive to me.

But yeah, fuck Chet.

Dec 24, 2017
Let's talk about the revolving door that is relatives gifting you cash, that you then turn around and put in envelopes to give to their children in a week.

And I bought your kids quiet presents this year.