• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i forget if i asked this question here or not, but whats the secret asian rice cooking method you were taught to measure the right amount of water in a pot?

I was always taught put the rice in, pour the water, put your hand flat on the rice (flattened out), the water should reach up to around the knuckles on your flat hand, maybe a bit below. Adjust depending on the type of rice - our household half-basmati mix took a little less than that.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I was also taught water up to knuckles however my recent cooker is a bit weird and I like my rice a little more moist and fluffy so I usually go above the knuckles and adjust accordingly base on experience.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that method dependent on how much rice you're cooking?

We bought some sushi rice which cooks differently and I had a heck of a time figuring out the right ratio. I finally got it but it was on the last batch haha.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
It depends on how much rice you're cooking and the quality of the rice itself. Some rice needs more water, others require less. You just have to roll with it and see the results first whenever you open a new bag of rice. Then adjust accordingly.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was always taught to do 1.5 cups of water for every cup of rice

Now that I think about it, that might have just been my mom trying to teach me multiplication

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else throw spaghetti at the wall to see if it's ready or is that just a weird thing my family does?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh

You just put a piece of noodle in your mouth and taste its texture.

Or you use hot water to soak it for a short time.

i forget if i asked this question here or not, but whats the secret asian rice cooking method you were taught to measure the right amount of water in a pot?

I was always taught put the rice in, pour the water, put your hand flat on the rice (flattened out), the water should reach up to around the knuckles on your flat hand, maybe a bit below. Adjust depending on the type of rice - our household half-basmati mix took a little less than that.
Rice cookers should come with a plastic cup and measuring lines that help measure the rice/water ratio. You can add more or less water depending on your preference.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I was never taught how to measure the amount of water. Just used the measuring lines in the rice cooker.

mercviper

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just eyeball it. it's not going to be the same for each rice cooker because of different volumes of rice and people enjoy different textures. For mine it's roughly a digit's worth of water on top and I err on a little too much water because if it's not dry enough you just need to cook it a little longer.

re:spaghetti that's a way my dad would tell me he would do back in the day but it's definitely just easier and cleaner to eat part of a noodle and you know exactly how done the spaghetti is lol. There's also the method where you twirl the noodle around and see if it snaps.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loathe mushy rice, so I tend to use less water. There's no secret to it; just cook enough rice and you'll get a sense for how you like it.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
The age of the rice also matters a lot.

Usually recent batches require less water usually and older ones require more.

Usually when you get a new bag of rice you do need to do a bit of trial and error to get the perfect results.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I eyeball how much water for white rice, but I was also shown the knuckle method. lol

Pasta and noodles I do a taste test. And I like my jook/congee a bit more watery than thicc.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
you know i haven't made my own dang pasta for so long i've completely forgotten what method i use. at this point i'd probably just follow the package instructions lol

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This is a little NSFW (the article and some of the pictures-- no nudity, but suggestive), but this article just really rubbed me the wrong way.

https://www.allure.com/story/asian-american-dommes-reject-stereotypes-fetish-community

I'm not sure quite how to voice what's so annoying about this. I think it's because it's phrased as somehow progressive or brave or groundbreaking, but to me is just taking advantage of the stereotypes (by being the direct counter, turned into its own fetish).

Like, are you really rejecting the stereotype if you basically go the exact opposite way but still continue to take advantage of the racial based motivation behind the original stereotype?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a little NSFW (the article and some of the pictures-- no nudity, but suggestive), but this article just really rubbed me the wrong way.

https://www.allure.com/story/asian-american-dommes-reject-stereotypes-fetish-community

I'm not sure quite how to voice what's so annoying about this. I think it's because it's phrased as somehow progressive or brave or groundbreaking, but to me is just taking advantage of the stereotypes (by being the direct counter, turned into its own fetish).

Like, are you really rejecting the stereotype if you basically go the exact opposite way but still continue to take advantage of the racial based motivation behind the original stereotype?
It reads like they're going down a list of why it's alright to play to the fetishization of Asian women while also trying to condemn it in the same style as those "you're doing [blank] and here's why it's okay" articles. I don't really see how they're actually solving the problem and not just tacking on extra stuff to make it look beneficial

Off topic but I learned to make spinach puffs. I did okay for a first attempt next time I make them I'll take a picture

Last edited:

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017

Instead of talking about his new found love of exercise and healthy eating, they should've asked "28-year-old white cisgender male submissive who works in the art world and goes by Pain Puppy" why it was so important that his dominatrix be Asian.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So much to unpack in that article. Bottom line is that they're doing it for their bottom line and not for any greater good, which is fine, but there's a reason why these women are highlighted and given a platform. It's not like they chose Asian women that do it just to beat up white dudes and this actually reinforces stereotypes about being sexual playthings despite the power dynamics of the actual sexual roleplay. It's still objectification.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
For real. People around me have been getting sick also. Trying to avoid everybody but tonight my older sister is throwing me a late bday party, lol.

Dec 24, 2017
I remember when I was a kid, a lot of Korean still had a thing for Lunar New Year. As I've gotten older, we've just switched everything over to White People New Year.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
And so commence the cultural wars!

XuK94F.gif

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I laughed when one guy who was just lamenting without taking sides in the thread about the Canadian guy being sentenced to death in China got piled on because his reaction wasn't "fuck China."

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017

Katelyn Ohashi of UCLA, has blown up the Internet with her perfect 10 for the UCLA gymnastics team.

I know my Twitter feed got blown the hell up with this chick, good for her. Apparently this after she came back from an injury and body issue problem.

Did the team proud! (I kinda wanted to make a separate thread for it.)

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era is gonna Era when it comes to China. Kinda surprised at the people that got dogpiled though. That was some milquetoast shit they were saying.

Katelyn Ohashi of UCLA, has blown up the Internet with her perfect 10 for the UCLA gymnastics team.

I know my Twitter feed got blown the hell up with this chick, good for her. Apparently this after she came back from an injury and body issue problem.

Did the team proud! (I kinda wanted to make a separate thread for it.)

I love how her teammates were cheering her on. Really elevates the whole thing.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
She looks Afro-Asian. I'd be shocked if she wasn't mixed!

That routine is amazing <333