• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
this is like the third iteration of everybody and their mothers piling on marie kondo in some weird fuckin orientalism or anti-orientalism shit

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Hammer 'killer' thought he was defending Chinese women with buffet attack"

The hammer-swinging madman charged with killing an Asian chef at a Brooklyn buffet told cops he was inspired by a movie about Chinese mistreatment of women, law enforcement sources said Wednesday.

The hammer-swinging madman charged with killing an Asian chef at a Brooklyn buffet told cops he was inspired by a movie about Chinese mistreatment of women, law enforcement sources said Wednesday.

Hammer in hand, the 34-year-old construction worker allegedly burst into the Emmons Avenue eatery around 5:10 p.m. and bashed owner Kheong Ng-Thang over the head in the entryway, according to sources.

He then stormed into the kitchen, where he allegedly clocked manager Tsz Mat Pun and chef Fufai Pun — who are not related — before dashing out of the gore-soaked restaurant into the street, sources said.

At one point, Martunovich claimed he was acting out of chivalry by defending Chinese women, having recently seen an unspecified movie about their mistreatment by Chinese men, sources said.

"He had problems with Asian men," one law enforcement source said. "He talked about how Asian women are being treated by their men."

You guys hear about this? You can't make this shit up....smh

Dec 24, 2017
i'm finding this joke too dark given the story.
but mannnnnn.... if a thread was made, i bet i'll find someone defending that murderer

Yeah, I thought it was dark too, and a little too close for comfort for Era.

"He's just trying to be an ally because of Chinese patriarchal society. What, White people can only be allies based on your qualifications? That's racist."

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it seems like that story goes a bit beyond that
Exactly. Saying that the guy is crazy basically disregards to social levers that made him target Asian men. There's something very sick about how men of color are portrayed and the type of propaganda that triggered this guy is an indictment on society.

Dec 24, 2017
lul omigod

edit: BBC has a bad history with covering Asian/East Asian topics. Their anti-Asian bigotry really shines through.

For some odd reason, because its the BBC, I never have the same "Goddamn you're racist." like I do with Fox News. Its always been more of a "Goddamn, can't quite shake the colonialism, can you?"

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
So meph and I went to the San Diego yesterday, and we were looking at something when the old (white) man next to us started talking to us. First, he asked us where we were from (I told him Orange County). So we just kinda kept looking at the animals and then he was like, where are your ancestors from? I was like.. uh, Taiwan.. AND THEN HE SAYS "NI HAO" AND I'M LIKE WTF IS THIS SERIOUSLY HAPPPENING RIGHT NOW.

So I just laugh and shrug and say my Chinese is very bad, and then he proceeds to tell me that there's a huge temple "right down the street" from Taiwan and tries to tell me about some Buddha statue and I'm just like, hahaha well I don't know much about that... and THEN HE TRIES TO TEACH ME MANDARIN (he says "the weather is nice today" and I just stare at him blankly and laugh and go, yeah sorry I don't know what that means my Chinese is awful.)

SERIOUSLY Y'ALL I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT WAS HAPPENING. That experience belongs in /r/thathappened, and jdsghsdkgjsdg I finally said, oh, let's go look at the next exhibit to meph and ran away and was like wtf.

No food pictures, but here I am being super basic and feeding the giraffe.

DSawPj5.jpg

Y'all I'm making a banner for AsianEra, give me suggestions on foods to put in a pic

Want it to be diverse and represent the range of people in here

I know this post is so old but I just remembered it and maybe we could use a new one so...

Do a drinks one! boba, mango lassi, avocado smoothies, thai tea, matcha, actual tea, soju, etc :D

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
So meph and I went to the San Diego yesterday, and we were looking at something when the old (white) man next to us started talking to us. First, he asked us where we were from (I told him Orange County). So we just kinda kept looking at the animals and then he was like, where are your ancestors from? I was like.. uh, Taiwan.. AND THEN HE SAYS "NI HAO" AND I'M LIKE WTF IS THIS SERIOUSLY HAPPPENING RIGHT NOW.

So I just laugh and shrug and say my Chinese is very bad, and then he proceeds to tell me that there's a huge temple "right down the street" from Taiwan and tries to tell me about some Buddha statue and I'm just like, hahaha well I don't know much about that... and THEN HE TRIES TO TEACH ME MANDARIN (he says "the weather is nice today" and I just stare at him blankly and laugh and go, yeah sorry I don't know what that means my Chinese is awful.)

SERIOUSLY Y'ALL I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT WAS HAPPENING. That experience belongs in /r/thathappened, and jdsghsdkgjsdg I finally said, oh, let's go look at the next exhibit to meph and ran away and was like wtf.

No food pictures, but here I am being super basic and feeding the giraffe.

DSawPj5.jpg

Hilarious and sad story. Should have pulled a prank on the guy by making him say something incredibly stupid or something.

Also, nothing basic about feeding animals. Species are going extinct left and right. Better appreciate while you still can.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
UGH!!!

FUCKING DISGUSTING!!!

https://nextshark.com/eva-air-american-passenger/

American Passenger Orders Taiwanese Flight Attendants to Wipe His Butt After Defecating

A female chief purser and her crew of flight attendants at Taiwanese international airline EVA Air were reportedly left traumatized after an American passenger tried to coerce them into wiping his butt after defecating.

According to Kuo, the man asked her crew to pull down his pants and then told them to wipe his backside after he finished relieving himself.

The unnamed passenger, who was described as Caucasian and obese, was using a wheelchair during the flight from Los Angeles to Taipei, reports MailOnline.

While the attendant was wiping the man's backside, he allegedly started moaning to express pleasure from the act.

"He said: 'Oh, mmm, deeper, deeper,' and then accused my chief attendant of not properly cleaning his backside, requesting that she do it again," Kuo recalled.

And this self-entitled sick pervert is now in Bangkok... gee... I wonder why he's there....

Dec 24, 2017

Mostly personal preference. I find their content to be shallow and of meh quality. Last I paid any attention to them, they were more of an aggregation site. I think they had a couple opinion columns that I just felt were very basic. To me they were like a niche, second rate Buzzfeed. I personally do not gain any insight or learn anything really new. And it could be an age thing complicating things, Netscape Navigator came out while I was in college, and already on my way earning to a degree in Asian-American studies, so I was already familiar with most of the concepts they were trying to reinforce/educate people on. I've also run into a lot of the Asian Masculinity types there, even less of a reason to interact.

If I was younger, and did not have an academic background in Asian-American issues, I would probably feel very differently about it. I would probably actually rely on it more, than my own newsfeed preferences and social media shares. I think the audience it was intended to serve, does not include me, and that's fine. I know that its not geared towards me.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
if we get another era account joke on this page we all lose

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
damn i thought we had more era account jokes in this thread. my memory is misfiring

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Korean-American Immigrant to Advise Trump Over Vietnamese Deportations

https://nextshark.com/south-korean-trump-advisor-michelle-steel/

Steel's appointment comes at a time when Vietnamese, Korean and Chinese communities in Southern California have increasingly opposed the administration's immigration policies.

Steel is one of the California Republicans who countered the government's plan to deport thousands of Vietnamese refugees late last year.

In an op-ed for the, Steel pointed out that Vietnamese refugees — particularly those who have com‌mitt‌ed cri‌me‌s on American soil — also need the First Step Act, a law that would allow non-violent offenders more leniency.
She claimed that Orange County is home to "law-abiding, hard-working" Vietnamese Americans and argued that while there are some "bad eggs," deporting them is "not the answer."

However, Steel has sided with the administration when it comes to policies that seemingly target Latinos, according to the Orange County Register.
In March 2018, she actively participated in the move to oppose sanctuary state laws and even greeted Trump with her husband, Shawn Steel — one of California's three members on the Republican National Committee — when the president came to see border wall prototypes.

This is why race relations will continue to be shit in America for centuries to come.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fellow 読者, magandang araw. Ana ti ubra yo? お元気ですか。
(Hey, good day fellas. Whatcha doin'? How are you?)

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Dude I'm playing Resident Evil 2 right now and my god Ada Wong is so hot lmao

Honestly I think I have thing for very dominant women LOL