• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on Andrew Yang? I know he's a longshot, and I pretty much just learned about him, but I was listening to him talk on Freakonomics, and I was really picking up what he was putting down.

That said, I know ERA is batting hard for some of the other candidates, and he most definitely loses in terms of identity (rich Asian businessman).

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Any thoughts on Andrew Yang? I know he's a longshot, and I pretty much just learned about him, but I was listening to him talk on Freakonomics, and I was really picking up what he was putting down.

That said, I know ERA is batting hard for some of the other candidates, and he most definitely loses in terms of identity (rich Asian businessman).

He strikes me as somebody who is running to promote an issue, rather than to win. That being said, I think UBI is an important issue that needs to be looked at but is outside the current mainstream of Democratic politics.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

I have a friend with the same name so our entire group has loved him since forever :p.

That being said... honestly, I think Yang has good ideas. He's the most tech savy of the bunch, and in a world where tech is going to be basically the end all... that's extremely important. Of course, the US gov, tech wise, is like 100 years behind the private industry (except for military/secret stuff).

He has no shot in hell at winning. That's the only problem with him. No one knows who he is, and the US isn't going to pick an Asian man to be President, sadly.

But yeah he's an extremely intelligent man who, I think, really wants to "do good" in the US. That's not enough to be President. He may not even be an effective President. He would be an excellent advisor, though.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if he can do well enough to be taken seriously by the other candidates, that's what will have impact. Best case, VP pick.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
He might go over well as Sec Labor or something like that too. Being President isn't the end all be all -- he might be pretty effective in an advisory capacity to whomever the nominee ends up being.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
DyAWd4XX4AE0f8x

Dec 24, 2017

I can't bring myself to support technocrat oligarch

I love this angle the most, because Mike Meyers isn't in it.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Wtf, this Korean mapa tofu from Hmart isn't spicy at all

Maybe you eat so much spicy food that the spiciness has no kick :p.

But IIRC, mapo tofu usually isn't very spicy at all. At least, most places I've had it at.

Then again, I don't feel like Taiwanese cuisine is particularly spicy.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you eat so much spicy food that the spiciness has no kick :p.

But IIRC, mapo tofu usually isn't very spicy at all. At least, most places I've had it at.

Then again, I don't feel like Taiwanese cuisine is particularly spicy.
The 'ma' at least implies it lol

But I guess the only truly spicy versions I find are all from Sichuan restaurants.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I've never had it not spicy and am now just learning that it isn't supposed to be. Wow.

It really depends. If you're getting it from a Taiwanese place the chili sauce may not have super spicy chilis.

But OG mapo tofu, which is from Sichuan IIRC, is of course insanely spicy, like all Sichuan food :p

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I think what made it disappointing was this stuff was bright red! If it had been brown like Japanese mapo tofu, I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
heatwave here in sydney... can't we just equalise...? I haven't been able to get a full night's sleep for a week now...

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This is the bougiest thing I've ever written in this thread, but I just discovered that putting flat La Croix in a humidifier smells amazing.

Like I'm legitimately baffled how anything that tastes so awful can smell so divine.

I was drinking the grapefruit flavored kind, and it was slightly flat as I've had it open all day. Couldn't bring myself to pour is down the drain, so I decided to throw it in my humidifier. What's the harm, right?

IT SMELLS SO GOOD. Better than the essential oil mix I put in. Nice and refreshing and fruity.

So yeah, put La Croix in humidifiers. (I have no idea the long term effect/damage, but I'm thinking that the carbonation may actually dissolve mineral build up from regular water.)

I haven't tested Perrier yet, but I might. My work provides free Perrier so...

Dec 24, 2017
This is the bougiest thing I've ever written in this thread, but I just discovered that putting flat La Croix in a humidifier smells amazing.

Like I'm legitimately baffled how anything that tastes so awful can smell so divine.

I was drinking the grapefruit flavored kind, and it was slightly flat as I've had it open all day. Couldn't bring myself to pour is down the drain, so I decided to throw it in my humidifier. What's the harm, right?

IT SMELLS SO GOOD. Better than the essential oil mix I put in. Nice and refreshing and fruity.

So yeah, put La Croix in humidifiers. (I have no idea the long term effect/damage, but I'm thinking that the carbonation may actually dissolve mineral build up from regular water.)

I haven't tested Perrier yet, but I might. My work provides free Perrier so...

Piggy backing on this, La Croix in bongs works really well too. Also the effervescence prevents build up, if of course you empty out your bong like a human being after every session.

Dec 24, 2017
Its still awfully cold here in Chicago. Also, I live by the lake, did you know when it gets so cold that it causes rocks and concrete to shatter in the middle of the night that sounds like rifle shots. Frost quakes. So, that was a night of no sleep.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Its still awfully cold here in Chicago. Also, I live by the lake, did you know when it gets so cold that it causes rocks and concrete to shatter in the middle of the night that sounds like rifle shots. Frost quakes. So, that was a night of no sleep.

That's terrifying TBH. I hope you didn't have to work today.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. So I tried to listen to a girl talking about abusive relationships and her argument based around, "if I was in that relationship I would do this or that."

I tried to tell her that it's not based on the victim's choices because they can't make those choices, but she kept harping on, "they have these x, y, and z choices to avoid these relationships!"

I didn't want to harp on because I know she's stuck in her opinion and I can't force her to a different view.

It's entirely frustrating how ingrained these thoughts are into some people's minds.....

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The illusion that we're all completely rational beings is a comforting one but doesn't speak to the reality of how people actually behave. If knowing the solution was enough to will it into action the world would look a little different.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i made hainanese chicken rice yesterday. boy that's an easy meal.

(if you cheat and use paste)

(which i did)

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
The illusion that we're all completely rational beings is a comforting one but doesn't speak to the reality of how people actually behave. If knowing the solution was enough to will it into action the world would look a little different.

I know and I don't know why I keep thinking people are all completely rational. It was just frustrating listening to her go on and on that victims of abuse should just do this or that.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
So it like like some White Guy just made an "Asian Fetish" thread to alleviate his own sense of uguikt

Like I'm sure many of my fellow Resetera posters, I have a bit of an inclination towards Asian women. Now I know that as a cis white male, it's a bit on the nose, what with the whole fetishising "subservient" Asian females, but I never considered it from the other side. The author comes from an area of the US that is known for its high ratio of WMAF couples, but generally both sides are educated unlike the Thais you see running around Bangkok or Cebu.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-asian-fetish.97657/

Yeah, I'm expecting another train wreck