• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks g! I had lunch with the grandparents for lunch so a chill day all in all.

Last night I caught up with some mates who can't make the actual party, ended up going pretty hard after meeting an old pal who shouted us drinks lol. The actual bday bash is next weekend which I'm planning atm and good god does the alcohol $$$ stack up.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Alcohol costs a lot of money, lol. Guaranteed to save a lot more money if I didn't buy alcohol on most weekends.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that going out to drink or from the liquor store? Honestly either way it's steep haha. I just remind myself this is gonna be the last big event I'm gonna have with my friends before we all properly split off once university is over.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Both.... We tend to drink and eat more at home so that's cheaper but the point still stands, lol. It racks up crazy fast.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm moving out soon into the heart of the city which is gonna make drinking out on the regular mighty tempting, especially since where I'm at rn on the suburbs has no places to drink whatsoever in a reasonable distance.

That reminds me I need to make a thread on tips for someone moving out for the first time.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My city has a serious homeless issue so seeing begpackers here would be infuriating enough, let alone in a goddamn developing country.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
What did we all have for Lunar dinner?

Apologies for the framing; Mabel, the border collie was trying to stand on the chair along side me

qnhebPc.jpg

Here's our Lady M desserts (with combined timely birthdays)

YUIUsbf.jpg

After an hour of hibernation, brewed some tea & I prepped 1st batch of green tea puffs

Dec 24, 2017
Here's the comparison I would make for Ramsay.

Rick Bayless makes authentic Mexican food. What he does is elevate it with ingredients and technique, but he stays true to the culture that the food is a part of.

If Ramsay can take the same approach, I personally won't see an issue with it. I think Andrew Zimmern muddied up the waters of any good intention, but I'm ok with that. No quarter, no benefit of the doubt anymore.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
Trying to start an "Authentic Asian resataurant" is like trying to start an "authentic European restaurant". Like theres gonna be German sausages, Italian pasta, English fish and chips, Greek souvlaki and whatever else all on the same menu. All "authentic quality". foh

Edit: Saw the thread. If I have the time, I really ought to parody the article but replace every Asian reference to European reference.

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ that thread is embarrassing for too many reasons. Posting in it is exhausting.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What gets to me is that there are so many who refuse to acknowledge there are actual Asians in the conversation in that very thread! So many dumbfuck drive-by comments about white people being offended over nothing.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
My next screenname should be AUTHENTIC ASIAN LUCKY CRICKET CAT BAMBOO BUDDHA.

Honestly if he just left out the word "authentic," it would be 100000x less cringey.

I just hate the word authentic now. Like bitch please, paintings and dollar bills are authentic. Cuisine isn't fucking authentic. If you have to claim that you are, you sure as hell are fucking not.

"Come try my authentic European hamburger shop!"

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna open a restaurant called God Save the Queen that has all the staff dressed in lederhosen and market it as authentic European food

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
How's everyone doing? Been taking a break from ERA due to the toxicity of OT (though occasionally find myself being drawn in) besides for a handful of threads (the asian women thread was basically the last straw). But wanna see how the folks are doing here. :) Life's a bit crazy with work and such - started dating someone (long-distance, urgh) and that's opened up a whole weird bunch of emotions and thoughts.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
How's everyone doing? Been taking a break from ERA due to the toxicity of OT (though occasionally find myself being drawn in) besides for a handful of threads (the asian women thread was basically the last straw). But wanna see how the folks are doing here. :) Life's a bit crazy with work and such - started dating someone (long-distance, urgh) and that's opened up a whole weird bunch of emotions and thoughts.

I'm too busy to post regularly, but when I do, I post in my regularly followed threads -- ie. TV and Canadian stuff.

Oh and Asian stuff too.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Hey glad to see you're still around here!

Hope you're doing well with work and your new chick ;D. LTR are extremely hard but can be worth it in the end.

I started a new busy season with 12 new hires that resemble a nest of baby birds whenever someone walks in...

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I'm.... Just reading some of the posts are exhausting, lol.

Glad to see you're back in some way Cybit! Not much has changed here and in my life. Just trying to get by.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I see the Gordon Ramsey thread has a Asian studies major married to a Korean woman defense going on in it, explaining to everybody why he's the expert.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All my life I've been taught to at least pretend that I don't hate people during this time of year so I'm gonna just try to channel that rn.

MM300

Dec 23, 2018
I had an account on GAF but barely visited or lurked. However, over a period of time I have heard that, despite it being pretty progressive (or used to be), there was an undercurrent of racism against pretty much all things Asian. Some of it was actually more overt, from what I understand. I had friends who used to lurk on there tell me this, but since I hardly ever visited, I didn't think much of it.

Fast forward to this place opening up and me hearing about it and making another account, and visiting it more frequently, I got to say, that yep, I'm starting see what everyone was alluding to. This place is pretty racist against Asians. Any concerns about racism faced by Asians seem to be dismissed and handwaved away quite often. Asians are gaslit to hell and back. Arguments often run into tone-deaf brick walls. Self-proclaimed experts on all things Asian who firmly believe their opinion is the final word. Fetishization up the wazoo. I wish I could say I was surprised, but then I think about where I am, a place filled to the brim with racist weaboos and Asianphiles, and I sadly realize, that this is likely par for the course.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I see the Gordon Ramsey thread has a Asian studies major married to a Korean woman defense going on in it, explaining to everybody why he's the expert.

I don't post much anymore but I pop in every once in a while. That Ramsey thread is a mess. That poster in particular had been doing this shit for YEARS over at GAF and now here. He treats every Asian topic and controversy with some grand generalized sociological western interpretation of Asian culture and always backs it up with his "I've dated/married an Asian so *I know.*". He's an unironic "I'm an expert" meme come to life and in the past he's really pissed me off in NK topics at GAF.

I'm glad that some of y'all are calling him out on that shit.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I had an account on GAF but barely visited or lurked. However, over a period of time I have heard that, despite it being pretty progressive (or used to be), there was an undercurrent of racism against pretty much all things Asian. Some of it was actually more overt, from what I understand. I had friends who used to lurk on there tell me this, but since I hardly ever visited, I didn't think much of it.

Fast forward to this place opening up and me hearing about it and making another account, and visiting it more frequently, I got to say, that yep, I'm starting see what everyone was alluding to. This place is pretty racist against Asians. Any concerns about racism faced by Asians seem to be dismissed and handwaved away quite often. Asians are gaslit to hell and back. Arguments often run into tone-deaf brick walls. Self-proclaimed experts on all things Asian who firmly believe their opinion is the final word. Fetishization up the wazoo. I wish I could say I was surprised, but then I think about where I am, a place filled to the brim with racist weaboos and Asianphiles, and I sadly realize, that this is likely par for the course.

Meh, it's life. At this point the only thing you can really do is accept that this is American society and American Life and if you're a minority you're never going to be equal to white people.

The subconscious racism does seem way more jarring when it comes from "progressives," sort of the way that it's so much more laughable that the party of "family values" are the biggest hypocrites, but I don't think it's possible to fight that honestly.

MY plan of action is to continue this upper middle class struggle and pass on wealth to my kids because at least in America money matters and they can buy their way into a safe neighborhood and a relatively bubbled life. Even if in larger society they'll have to deal with this, they can be relatively like everyone else most of the time.

I don't post much anymore but I pop in every once in a while. That Ramsey thread is a mess. That poster in particular had been doing this shit for YEARS over at GAF and now here. He treats every Asian topic and controversy with some grand generalized sociological western interpretation of Asian culture and always backs it up with his "I've dated/married an Asian so *I know.*". He's an unironic "I'm an expert" meme come to life and in the past he's really pissed me off in NK topics at GAF.

I'm glad that some of y'all are calling him out on that shit.

I would feel bad for his wife but naw, she sucks for enabling the yuck. I'm willing to bet she spews the whole "Asian men are <x>, I prefer American men because <something stereotypical as fuck>."

Sadly there's a lot of self hating Asians, and the stuff they say to try and distinguish themselves as "one of the good ones" only make their nonAsian partners feel like their racism/bigotry is justified.

I wish I didn't see it so often but I do.

MM300

Dec 23, 2018
Meh, it's life. At this point the only thing you can really do is accept that this is American society and American Life and if you're a minority you're never going to be equal to white people.

The subconscious racism does seem way more jarring when it comes from "progressives," sort of the way that it's so much more laughable that the party of "family values" are the biggest hypocrites, but I don't think it's possible to fight that honestly.

MY plan of action is to continue this upper middle class struggle and pass on wealth to my kids because at least in America money matters and they can buy their way into a safe neighborhood and a relatively bubbled life. Even if in larger society they'll have to deal with this, they can be relatively like everyone else most of the time.

Yeah, I'm used to it. I grew up in the south, surrounded by bible-clutching white evangelical conservatives, so I had a firsthand look at the wonders of American society. Racism was as part of my life as breathing was.

And you're spot on at how jarring it is to see it coming from so-called progressives. In so many other threads concerning social issues, they're capable of saying the right thing, but when it comes to anything Asian, it's just one big giant eye-roll and a collective "who gives a fuck?" It's almost weird how ... cohesive the reaction is.

If I ever have kids, I'm definitely moving to an enclave.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Unfortunately, it does color my impression of users when they espouse progressive values. I do tend to see a lot of it as virtue signaling.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
If I ever have kids, I'm definitely moving to an enclave.

My husband opposes this idea vehemently but honestly I'm with you.

I don't really care what it looks like. What I know is that my child is much less likely to grow up with any inferiority complexes induced by something uncontrollable, like his/her race. The whole issue with ethnocentric standards of beauty wasn't a thing with most of the chicks I knew in an enclave. I admit I never asked the dudes how they felt, but it didn't seem like a thing. No one ever complained being Asian made girls not want to date them (and it wasn't an issue in our area).

The biggest problem with most enclaves is that, due to goddamn overachieving Asians (lol), they're all in extremely expensive places. SF, LA, OC, Seattle, Houston, parts of NYC, Boston, and Hawaii... if you look for the places with the highest concentrations of Asians you'll also find it's extremely, extremely pricey. Places where 100k is just middle class, haha.

Yeah. Unfortunately, it does color my impression of users when they espouse progressive values. I do tend to see a lot of it as virtue signaling.

Meh. I have awful memory so it has to be particularly egregious. I also never look at people's post history because I'm lazy.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
My husband opposes this idea vehemently but honestly I'm with you.

I don't really care what it looks like. What I know is that my child is much less likely to grow up with any inferiority complexes induced by something uncontrollable, like his/her race.

The biggest problem with most enclaves is that, due to goddamn overachieving Asians (lol), they're all in extremely expensive places. SF, LA, OC, Seattle, Houston, parts of NYC, Boston, and Hawaii... if you look for the places with the highest concentrations of Asians you'll also find it's extremely, extremely pricey. Places where 100k is just middle class, haha.
My wife and I are trying to figure out where to raise our toddler now. We're pretty much committed to the Midwest and are in Chicago proper now but are probably going to move to the suburbs soon. We've had to eliminate perfectly nice suburbs as they have like a 95% white census and are trying to find at least some of the more multi national and Asian-centric suburbs that also work for our jobs, but it's pretty challenging. That being said, there's no way we're moving back to Ohio where I'm from.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
There's not even outrage at the Ramsay thing, just people pointing out yeah, this rich white bloke is making bank on orientalism and that is somehow an unacceptable idea to fathom

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
You gotta love the Asians from Asia chiming in with their helpful "I don't see race" stuff.

Alexa, what is a hegemony.