• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
That's a weird thing to say.

This is a thread of food snobs and elitists :D

On that note, I learned today there's a sushi food truck.. and it's visiting our workplace today.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FOOD TRUCK SUSHI. I do not trust that shit.

Last edited:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
That's like saying adults shouldn't be eating honey walnut prawns at Chinese restaurants.

Adults are almost always the ones eating honey walnut prawns.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
So are a lot of Asians actually cool with using the term ricer?

I'm not into the car scene at all. I live in Ohio and it seems like "ricer" and "Jap car" are used interchangeably out here, so I found it shocking that it seems like a lot of Asians are cool with it.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I only ever heard "rice boy" which was coming from Asians making fun of other Asians.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017
I filed grievances with the COO/CFO, my mother, and my appeal was denied, numerous times as a child. Even though I do not feel that my repeated complaints regarding the bulgogi issue did not affect my year end bonuses for behavior/performance, upper management made clear that it was not a dining option.

Upon review of operations and internal discussions with my cohorts, at our sister operations during our annual meetings, I found that my colleagues in other enterprises had similar restrictions on bulgogi.

We were all terrified to organize and attempt collective bargaining, as management had a reputation of union busting.

Dec 24, 2017
So are a lot of Asians actually cool with using the term ricer?

I'm not into the car scene at all. I live in Ohio and it seems like "ricer" and "Jap car" are used interchangeably out here, so I found it shocking that it seems like a lot of Asians are cool with it.

I find that the Asians cool with ricer are not from areas with large Asian populations. I grew up using the term "sport compact" or "import." Ricer makes me cringe.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Ricer or rice rocket is fine to me if it's an Asian (or honorary Asian) using it.

I grew up only associating with other Asians, and that's what we all called the souped up imports. Mostly to make fun of them :p.

Kind of like how we called the wannabe gangsters "wangsters." You know, soft ass upper middle class boys in their daddy's bmv blasting rap pretending like they're lil Triads. haha

(Obviously I hung with the nerd Asian group [despite being an awful student] so we didn't really have too many rice rockets or wangsters in our midst. I think it was pretty normal high school ribbing on certain stereotypes. Like "Jesus freak," etc, just adapted for the Asian American flavor.)

I have no idea what they called us. No one ever said anything to our faces. Maybe losers? Four eyes? I think 90% of my group had glasses.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Ricer or rice rocket is fine to me if it's an Asian (or honorary Asian) using it.

I grew up only associating with other Asians, and that's what we all called the souped up imports. Mostly to make fun of them :p.

Kind of like how we called the wannabe gangsters "wangsters." You know, soft ass upper middle class boys in their daddy's bmv blasting rap pretending like they're lil Triads. haha

(Obviously I hung with the nerd Asian group [despite being an awful student] so we didn't really have too many rice rockets or wangsters in our midst. I think it was pretty normal high school ribbing on certain stereotypes. Like "Jesus freak," etc, just adapted for the Asian American flavor.)

I have no idea what they called us. No one ever said anything to our faces. Maybe losers? Four eyes? I think 90% of my group had glasses.

No Asians I knew or know in Ohio drove "ricers", so I guess I don't get it.

We either drove basic factory Honda/Toyotas, or if you had money a Lexus, BMW, or Acura lol.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
"Ricers" or "rice rockets" is definitely more of a west coast thing. They used it a lot in the late 90s/early 00s for suped up import cars in the Bay Area.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Over here in the Twin Cities? Asians (my group at least) don't really say Ricers or Rice Rockets. The word we say is suped up and while we're at it we also poke fun of the person driving a suped up car. We know of the words ricer and rice rocket but we barely use them.

The suped up car scene is still alive up here during the spring and summer. Still got plenty of civics, evos, wrxs, 350zs and 370zs, etc., being souped up in the Twin Cities.

I'm going to go on limb and say that my group of friends and family don't consider the words Ricer or Rice Rocket derogatory words (along with a host of other words). It is to me but I'm probably the more socially aware guy in the group.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
never heard the term ricer but i don't know jack about cars and i'm not in the states

ya'll see this master z trailer

i'm not gonna say western fight direction sucks, but certainly the melee focused stuff i've seen has never been super rad to my memory

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm not gonna say western fight direction sucks, but certainly the melee focused stuff i've seen has never been super rad to my memory

I'd say the last good one I've seen was in Daredevil and some stuff in Into the Badlands (RIP). Otherwise, most fight scenes are just disjointed strung-together messes between actors who are hired for their faces and not their ability to actually do choreographed movements.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not a huge fan of Hollywood action generally. My favorite action from Western cinema has to be Fury Road, mostly for the editing and generous amount of vehicle stunts.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, I stopped getting notifications for this thread.

Galbitang is fucking great.

And I'm the guy who always cooks when I have KBBQ with anyone. An older Korean lady taught me the trick to not burn cha dol is to keep it moving. Not a fan of bulgogi or marinated meats because it always messes up the grill.

I always considered ricers the dudes who would put giant, ugly spoilers and body kits on their Civics to make them ugly and ruin the aerodynamics. I remember in high school, this one guy had this huge wing on his Avalon or whatever and was like, "Yeah, I can take turns at 140 with this." I had to try really hard not to laugh in his face because he was my then-girlfriend's childhood friend.

The thing about the last M:I that annoyed me was that after that bathroom fight, when Ethan pretends to be Lark, the girl was like, "I expected you to be uglier." Why? Because you expected that Asian dude?

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is probably some high blasphemy but I prefer Korean barbecue places where the staff cooks for you.

They know what they're doing, I don't have to fuss over it, and it's still done at the table fresh. Win-win-win.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This is probably some high blasphemy but I prefer Korean barbecue places where the staff cooks for you.

They know what they're doing, I don't have to fuss over it, and it's still done at the table fresh. Win-win-win.

Except the last time we went to one of those places, I WAS SO UNCOMFORTABLE BEING HOVERED OVER.

But I guess you win in this argument because I make you cook, so I have no skin in the game. We can go to more of those places if you prefer them ♥

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Henry Cavill had to reload us arms at the beginning of the fight.
It's how he accesses his combat beard. Look
source.gif

Dec 24, 2017
Except the last time we went to one of those places, I WAS SO UNCOMFORTABLE BEING HOVERED OVER.

But I guess you win in this argument because I make you cook, so I have no skin in the game. We can go to more of those places if you prefer them ♥

This reminds me of a thing I noticed with my cousins from Korea. In the US, grilling is seen as a "man cooking" realm So the ones who primarily live in Korea, we all met up in LA and went out and had KBBQ. My cousins, who are all female, were amused that I was the one cooking. I took it upon myself to cook the meat, set the cooked meat aside, put meat on people's plates. No biggie. While, one of the husbands, was ribbing me about doing woman's work. Homie was wearing makeup and giving me shit that cooking meat for my family was somehow calling my masculinity into question.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This reminds me of a thing I noticed with my cousins from Korea. In the US, grilling is seen as a "man cooking" realm So the ones who primarily live in Korea, we all met up in LA and went out and had KBBQ. My cousins, who are all female, were amused that I was the one cooking. I took it upon myself to cook the meat, set the cooked meat aside, put meat on people's plates. No biggie. While, one of the husbands, was ribbing me about doing woman's work. Homie was wearing makeup and giving me shit that cooking meat for my family was somehow calling my masculinity into question.

I used to cook but I always get oil splatters and I'm a wimp and meph is an amazing man that spoils the shit out of me, so...fuck gender norms, I'm lazy and entitled to my food :D. (My guilt at being a Bad Asian Wife is overshadowed by my fear of pain.)

Should have told that husband that only women wear makeup in America and maybe he should really rethink gendered ideas.

Though I heard, but do not know if it's true, that gender norms are still a pretty big thing in Asia so..

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I learned to cook because if you can't cook you starve and die. It was part of learning to be independent. That said, the last time I got kbbq I let my friends do it because it'd been a while and I didn't want to fuck it up

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
has someone added the shotgun reload chk-chk to that arm reload

Dec 24, 2017
How many times is someone allowed to use their "I have a serious ailment" card?

I've used it twice, once to avoid a felony and the other time to get VIP Fast passes at Disneyland.

But I saw a woman use to as part of a rant to get comped for a meal. She did look hella sick, like, I've seen people like her in my groups.

On one hand, "Really lady? Gonna bust that out for a meal?" On the other hand, "I don't know your life. If you have what I think you have, I understand why you might be a little crazy right now."

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How many times is someone allowed to use their "I have a serious ailment" card?

I've used it twice, once to avoid a felony and the other time to get VIP Fast passes at Disneyland.

But I saw a woman use to as part of a rant to get comped for a meal. She did look hella sick, like, I've seen people like her in my groups.

On one hand, "Really lady? Gonna bust that out for a meal?" On the other hand, "I don't know your life. If you have what I think you have, I understand why you might be a little crazy right now."
I could only see myself doing that if I broke a leg and was in a wheelchair at Disneyland. That warrants a "I need a front of the line pass." Otherwise I don't like excuses

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I honestly think the standard Asian-American response is gonna be never, because culturally it was ingrained in me to never, ever, complain about anything.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
What is it for?

I told my mentor manager at work about my fertility issues, and he said if I wanted I could reduce my hours (a lot of other people have reduced hours for various reasons.)

I declined, because I would feel bad for not pulling my own weight.

Dec 24, 2017
What is it for?

I told my mentor manager at work about my fertility issues, and he said if I wanted I could reduce my hours (a lot of other people have reduced hours for various reasons.)

I declined, because I would feel bad for not pulling my own weight.

Me personally, I was stopped by the police with a felonious amount of cannabis on my person, but my chemo pump got me out of it. And that's how I got the fast passes for my family and I at Disney. I only feel guilty about the Disney one though.

The lady at the restaurant also looked like she was going through chemo of some sort.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I mean the restaurant thing is a hard call. Like I totally get that you may not have been able to enjoy your meal, but my instinct is to say that people made that shit for you so why do you get to decide if you're gonna pay for it or not.

On the other hand, I've heard people try to get free meals out of literally anything in the States so I mean, maybe it's no big deal. At least this seems like a more legit reason.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
Speaking generally: If others got a right to speak up for themselves, so do I; being fair to others AND yourself is what I learned about assertiveness. Also, it's gotta be all good when it comes to self-care too, ain't it? Not talking about taking advantage of others or looking for loopholes, but if I'm hauling more of a load to my own detriment, that's not necessarily helping anyone; possibly or probably just the opposite (if we're talking about collaborative/team/etc., but even maybe more than that, situations).

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
But to more specifically answer how many times that lady can use the "ailment card": that once is fine. People officially get free or discounted meals for less, sometimes annually, sometimes more, so if it's a spot where it's not policy to feed the seriously ill for free at all times, that once still shouldn't be a problem.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel guilty when I take time off of work for medical stuff because it happens so often. I rarely ever take the whole day off (usually leave an hour earlier or something) but still

Dec 24, 2017
I feel guilty when I take time off of work for medical stuff because it happens so often. I rarely ever take the whole day off (usually leave an hour earlier or something) but still

I used to really be like that. Then I got really sick. Then, I'll be honest, my attitude shifted to "me first" in relation to whom I'm gonna put first, me or my job. But I absolutely understand that mindset.

I tried going into the office two weeks after a major operation. That was a mistake because it turned into a 6 month short term disability.