• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think the live to work mentality is one of the top things we need to get pass in a post capitalist society..

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I need to branch out and find new food. Suggestions? I'm cool with anything but spicy because my stomach's not in a condition for that right now

Dec 24, 2017
I just watched my coworker take a dip, then not 30 seconds later, he lit a cigarette. He is blowing out smoke, then spitting tobacco juice. Wow.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Anyone shocked that a bunch of rich people cheated to help their kids get into good schools?

I need to branch out and find new food. Suggestions? I'm cool with anything but spicy because my stomach's not in a condition for that right now

Well, what have you eaten before?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone shocked that a bunch of rich people cheated to help their kids get into good schools?

They cheat to get their kids out of crime, drafts, etc. so why not.

Most types of fish and a good chunk of Asia and the Mediterranean

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched my coworker take a dip, then not 30 seconds later, he lit a cigarette. He is blowing out smoke, then spitting tobacco juice. Wow.
That's the type of person that wakes up in the middle of the night with the detox sweats and lights one up.

These fucks know their kids are of substandard stock and think they have to keep up with the rest of their peers without realizing that the entire gene pool of their socioeconomic class is substandard garbage too. Which is contrary to how they view themselves because they get high off their own farts. They think they're better than everyone else.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm actually super surprised that there were consequences for getting caught for once though!

Not yet. None of the kids have been dropped from their schools IIRC.

Revoke their admission. Force them to leave their schools. That's what would happen if any one of us were found to have falsified our admission package.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Ricer or rice rocket is fine to me if it's an Asian (or honorary Asian) using it.

I grew up only associating with other Asians, and that's what we all called the souped up imports. Mostly to make fun of them :p.

Kind of like how we called the wannabe gangsters "wangsters." You know, soft ass upper middle class boys in their daddy's bmv blasting rap pretending like they're lil Triads. haha

(Obviously I hung with the nerd Asian group [despite being an awful student] so we didn't really have too many rice rockets or wangsters in our midst. I think it was pretty normal high school ribbing on certain stereotypes. Like "Jesus freak," etc, just adapted for the Asian American flavor.)

I have no idea what they called us. No one ever said anything to our faces. Maybe losers? Four eyes? I think 90% of my group had glasses.

It's worth noting that we all understand "being an awful student" means "I might have gotten a B every semester". :-p

I honestly think the standard Asian-American response is gonna be never, because culturally it was ingrained in me to never, ever, complain about anything.

Same.

Also, the 737MAX threads in main OT are killing me, lol. Wish I could comment urrrrrrrrgh. So much dumb. People already trying to make it about race, lol.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
It's worth noting that we all understand "being an awful student" means "I might have gotten a B every semester". :-p
2fce631a3671cbde2adb907a1a425507--asian-parents-asian-kids.jpg

In general. Most of my home cooked stuff is southern
Gotcha. Gimme a few and I'll post with some advice and guidelines.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not yet. None of the kids have been dropped from their schools IIRC.

Revoke their admission. Force them to leave their schools. That's what would happen if any one of us were found to have falsified our admission package.
Right. Let's see if that happens.

But at least they arrested some of the parents--including Huff.

I'm curious about the broker who made it happen though. How long has he been in business, and what about the kids who already graduated after getting in this way?

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Cybit - oh no I legit got some Ds and Fs in high school, haha.

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYYYYYY.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Here's the thing about that cheating scandal going on right now -- it mirrors what I feel about the Chinese cheater article posted here from earlier last month. Rich, mostly white people, do everything in their power to game the system and basically do exactly what those parents were doing. Nobody expects anything different, in fact, most people just assumed it was happening anyways. On the other hand, if a Chinese student does it though, then all Chinese students have to suffer, because when they get into a University then staff, other students, professors assume they are liars and cheats.

I'm not saying that people who cheat should get a pass, name and shame all those kids and parents IMO. But, I'd like people to think about it a little bit more as well.

Thankfully Berkeley hasn't been caught up in it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if eventually, it does.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing about that cheating scandal going on right now -- it mirrors what I feel about the Chinese cheater article posted here from earlier last month. Rich, mostly white people, do everything in their power to game the system and basically do exactly what those parents were doing. Nobody expects anything different, in fact, most people just assumed it was happening anyways. On the other hand, if a Chinese student does it though, then all Chinese students have to suffer, because when they get into a University then staff, other students, professors assume they are liars and cheats.

I'm not saying that people who cheat should get a pass, name and shame all those kids and parents IMO. But, I'd like people to think about it a little bit more as well.

Thankfully Berkeley hasn't been caught up in it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if eventually, it does.
Rules and laws don't apply to white people

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

I actually assume all rich white people don't really deserve the colleges they attend, tbh, because I do assume they buy their way into it. Not just rich white people, but rich people in general.

I favor middle class Asian American students because I realize that of all the groups in the US, they have the hardest time getting into programs and school, so I just kinda assume they're usually the best students (and I'm usually right lol).

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Having to "deserve" to get into college is a flawed concept itself anyway, because being "deserving" is such a nebulous and immeasurable criterion

College should be available to everyone and the prestige associated with graduating from college needs to become a thing of the past

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I don't even remember what I got on the SAT.

It didn't really matter though because my HS GPA was like a 2.8 lol. I just went to a regional campus my first year and then transferred to the main campus.

Dec 24, 2017
What makes me feel old is when someone mentions their SAT score, and it's that weird time when it wasn't based on 1600 points. I still don't understand how the scoring works.

Please do not explain, allow me to wallow in my culturally illiterate ignorance.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I agree that we need more people getting college educated. That's kind of why I cringe whenever I see or hear somebody who says that college is unnecessary. Yeah, it might be to get by, but I think we should be encouraging as many people as possible to get as educated as possible, given their circumstances.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Can we please stop mentioning threads without links to these actual threads?

THANKS!
Now I feel like those douches who post images and don't source. :P

Johnny Depp thread, cue ERA's fetish for dogpiling without the full facts.

Follow-up thread here, though the facts came out in the last thread and many posters doubled-down on doubting Depp and saying he's the offender here. Keep in mind, I believe people were handed 2-week bans in the first thread for daring to say we need to wait and see how the evidence and process works out, mods said were victim blaming.

The Alyssa Milano thread was a trip because it started off with Milano sticking her foot in her mouth for a really clumsy "I'm an ally" tweet; then she later went all white fragility in her response. Thread is like 12 pages strong of exactly the flame wars you'd expect, lol

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
College should be available to everyone and the prestige associated with graduating from college needs to become a thing of the past

This is meaningless, because there is no way to infinitely scale up the number of students that can be accommodated at top programs.

Selectiveness becomes a necessary and emergent property response to the impossible scale of demand, which also causes prestige to be attached to being selected as an unintended consequence. College could be made more widely available, but public funding tends to be slashed when states run deficits, so public schools are at the mercy of politics. Just demanding the market ramp up supply to meet demand is how you get an explosion of for-profit schools that exist solely to leech money from federal aid programs at the expense of their student body.

There's not enough political will to pay for public schools in a way that would make them affordable and more broadly available.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now I feel like those douches who post images and don't source. :P

Johnny Depp thread, cue ERA's fetish for dogpiling without the full facts.

Follow-up thread here, though the facts came out in the last thread and many posters doubled-down on doubting Depp and saying he's the offender here. Keep in mind, I believe people were handed 2-week bans in the first thread for daring to say we need to wait and see how the evidence and process works out, mods said were victim blaming.

The Alyssa Milano thread was a trip because it started off with Milano sticking her foot in her mouth for a really clumsy "I'm an ally" tweet; then she later went all white fragility in her response. Thread is like 12 pages strong of exactly the flame wars you'd expect, lol
From what I can tell, the outrage was made from how it was framed by both that article and the OP. Most of the responses to her were pretty standard in calling her out, but they made it look like people were calling for blood. There was no mass outrage, that's just what happens when you say something stupid in front of hundreds of thousands of people. You get hundreds of thousands of replies back.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
This is meaningless, because there is no way to infinitely scale up the number of students that can be accommodated at top programs.

Selectiveness becomes a necessary and emergent property response to the impossible scale of demand, which also causes prestige to be attached to being selected as an unintended consequence. College could be made more widely available, but public funding tends to be slashed when states run deficits, so public schools are at the mercy of politics. Just demanding the market ramp up supply to meet demand is how you get an explosion of for-profit schools that exist solely to leech money from federal aid programs at the expense of their student body.

There's not enough political will to pay for public schools in a way that would make them affordable and more broadly available.

I remember about 5 years ago when people really thought the MOOC thing was gonna take off and provide low cost, high-quality education to the world. And then, we all realized that learning is hard and that online learning isn't nearly as effective for most types of people, especially when the perceived reward for learning is so far away.

But, we're still making progress. People are still experimenting and seeing what works. ASU has this earned credit thing that seems to have promising results. Other campuses are trying hybrid models, where freshmen can take required classes online and only pay board for the last two years (not super impressive, but some cost savings). Community colleges are undergoing major expansions in states like California, Washington, and Oregon.

Maybe I should ask Andrew Yang what he thinks about higher education.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

The very idea of "top programs" is the issue. All programs should be quality and should be widely available.

You don't need an Ivy League PhD to do 99.999999999999999999999999999% of the jobs on this planet at a high level.

And yes, politics fuck everything up, but fixing politics is kinda implied when I talk about this stuff :P

For-profit schools won't exist because it will be illegal.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I remember about 5 years ago when people really thought the MOOC thing was gonna take off and provide low cost, high-quality education to the world. And then, we all realized that learning is hard and that online learning isn't nearly as effective for most types of people, especially when the perceived reward for learning is so far away.

But, we're still making progress. People are still experimenting and seeing what works. ASU has this earned credit thing that seems to have promising results. Other campuses are trying hybrid models, where freshmen can take required classes online and only pay board for the last two years (not super impressive, but some cost savings). Community colleges are undergoing major expansions in states like California, Washington, and Oregon.

Maybe I should ask Andrew Yang what he thinks about higher education.

I do think there's a future for alternatives to the traditional model of collegiate education (and beyond), especially as employers are increasingly asking for graduate-level education in industries where a college degree used to be enough. A college degree used to be a direct ticket to middle class earning, and now it doesn't guarantee anything anymore.

Going forward, it's only going to increase more sharply as pay differences between majors and post-graduate education become significant markers of overall socioeconomic class/status if not already born into money.

The very idea of "top programs" is the issue. All programs should be quality and should be widely available.

You don't need an Ivy League PhD to do 99.999999999999999999999999999% of the jobs on this planet at a high level.

And yes, politics fuck everything up, but fixing politics is kinda implied when I talk about this stuff :P

For-profit schools won't exist because it will be illegal.

All programs can be quality, but there would still be stratification.

Without some radical change in the legal framework for higher education, private schools would still exist, and the most prestigious institutions across the US are mostly private schools. Even taking those out of the equation, there's no way to force parity across the board with public schools when there just aren't enough people or locations that can actually produce the kind of teaching, research, or partnerships with industry to make every school comparable in every possible discipline. It's unrealistic, because those things are ultimately related to the city/location where the school is situated, as well as the potential research that the school does.

Research institutions tend to be ranked highly and are held in higher regard, but those places aren't always the best fit for many students, especially at the undergraduate level. Still, the prestige of winning Nobels or publishing groundbreaking work raises the profile and prestige of the school, and the public then views graduates of those schools as more competent by virtue of having been selected by those institutions, and then finishing their program(s).

You'd have to somehow shift public perception of high-profile awards, too.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
So how do you guys feel about the Shang Chi movie coming together? The director choice gives me a bit more confidence, but I'm still a bit apprehensive with the potential stereotyping and tropes with the son of Fu Manchu.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
So how do you guys feel about the Shang Chi movie coming together? The director choice gives me a bit more confidence, but I'm still a bit apprehensive with the potential stereotyping and tropes with the son of Fu Manchu.
Seems like a good director choice.

Marvel hasn't given me a real big reason to doubt them yet. I think they've learned from the Dr. Strange stuff and have an idea of how to not step in it now.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017

Apparently they can't use Fu Manchu because they don't own the rights. In another thread I mentioned that they should replace Fu Manchu with the "real Mandarin" they hinted at in the "All Hail the King" short film. They managed to basically white wash the Mandarin twice in the same film lol, so I think it's only fair that they bring him back and do him right.

Also, I really don't want this to be a straight martial arts flick. More like Mission Impossible with martial arts.

Dec 24, 2017

It's a good insurance policy against criticism.

If the movie sucks, at the very least they can't claim cultural ignorance. Racist fan boys can now crow about diversity delivered a bad film.

However, Marvel does a good job of taking directors who do great work in non-tent pole blockbusters and throwing money at them and letting expend all their crazy, fever dream ideas.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every big Hollywood movie being the battleground for the culture war is kinda tiring tbh.

On another note, the past works of whatever behind-the-camera talent they pick up doesn't really enthuse me anymore. It's just going to end up being more of the same Marvel.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I've always been apprehensive at the prospect of a Shang Chi movie because of this. I don't think they should touch the Fu Manchu stuff at all and just give him a different origin. As much as people complain about characters getting changed when it involves changing their race, no one ends up giving a shit if a character has a different origin story. Personally, I find Iron Fist's origin and mythology a lot more compelling, and I wouldn't be surprised if they steal a bit from that.