• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 24, 2017
I've always been apprehensive at the prospect of a Shang Chi movie because of this. I don't think they should touch the Fu Manchu stuff at all and just give him a different origin. As much as people complain about characters getting changed when it involves changing their race, no one ends up giving a shit if a character has a different origin story. Personally, I find Iron Fist's origin and mythology a lot more compelling, and I wouldn't be surprised if they steal a bit from that.

I just want to say, that I have an ex who, my opinion, was a horrible person. She had a tattoo that read "danse macbre."

You username brings me much joy.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got any suggestions for a good Asian restaurant in NY? I know some of y'all are seasoned travelers and food connoisseurs.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Asian" restaurant?

tumblr_o1mct54NZ81uy66lzo1_400.gif

Dec 24, 2017
4 days into a new job before someone asked me something questionable. I'm unsure if that if bad bad or not as bad, but bad.

Unprompted. "Hey, what's your favorite karaoke place?"

I've never mentioned karaoke once.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
4 days into a new job before someone asked me something questionable. I'm unsure if that if bad bad or not as bad, but bad.

Unprompted. "Hey, what's your favorite karaoke place?"

I've never mentioned karaoke once.

You should have been like... "what's karaoke?"

Means I'm open to anything under the sun, be it Chinese, Japanese, etc. Not in the sense that I'm looking for an "Asian restaurant" that tries to be everything. You may put your heart attack at ease.

Thank you for acknowledging our superior taste buds ;)

No lie, based on half the food threads I see on ERA... I mean, I'm about to sound bougie and elitist as hell but I wouldn't trust food recs from like 95% of the people in this board... but in this thread I'd say I wouldn't trust the food recs from only 40% :p

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You should have been like... "what's karaoke?"

No lie, based on half the food threads I see on ERA... I mean, I'm about to sound bougie and elitist as hell but I wouldn't trust food recs from like 95% of the people in this board... but in this thread I'd say I wouldn't trust the food recs from only 40% :p

From what was recommended, I ended up at Yunshang. It was decent enough. It's my last day here and I didn't have much time to try anything out until now.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I don't recommend a lot but I'm extremely confident in the stuff I do recommend

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
The culture shock being on this West-centric forum is getting to me lately, between that India PUBG arrests thread and the Japan drug arrests. "Wow, X country doesn't operate in the same way a Western, first world country does? Get your shit together, dumb X country!"

I'm not even defending these things, just explaining some context on why things in Asia work the way they do, only be told off by (almost certainly Western people) for seemingly defending that kind of behaviour. Sometimes I wonder if I should've just stayed a lurker instead of signing up, like my friend had told me to.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
The culture shock being on this West-centric forum is getting to me lately, between that India PUBG arrests thread and the Japan drug arrests. "Wow, X country doesn't operate in the same way a Western, first world country does? Get your shit together, dumb X country!"

I'm not even defending these things, just explaining some context on why things in Asia work the way they do, only be told off by (almost certainly Western people) for seemingly defending that kind of behaviour. Sometimes I wonder if I should've just stayed a lurker instead of signing up, like my friend had told me to.
Your first mistake was posting in Gaming/ETC

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I was pretty surprised that drug charges get you scrubbed from existence in Japan. Never knew that

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

We're glad you signed up and are here.

Ignorant people say a lot of shit. I avoid gaming side.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly stick to my subscribed threads, but sometimes I read other threads, and most of the time I regret it.

Maybe it's because this is primarily a forum for gamers, but a lot of posters seem to treat Era like a game they want to "win". For example, look at the latest Michael Jackson thread. The first page isn't "wow this is terrible, more evidence that MJ was a pedophile", but "what do the stans have to say now, defenders eat crow". It's like they get satisfaction from "owning" people, and will pick fights with dissenters just to establish their moral superiority. I feel like that thread is a good opportunity to educate people on the kind of person MJ was, but it just gets obscured in a bunch of swearing and comparisons of fanboys to Trump supporters. To be fair, there's a lot of ignorance in that thread too.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fo...-shopping-with-a-young-boy-resurfaces.105227/

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to internet arguments on forums/social media, there truly are no winners. Everyone posting already has their minds made up. The only thing all posters share is that ultimately the time spent crafting all these posts could've been spent doing something actually productive with their lives. I say this of course as an individual just as guilty as the next when it comes to this. My own delusional mind keeps telling me "yo, Gully..that poster is a lost cause.. your post is going to convince some lurker on the fence to see things your way...that'll learn'em". Lo' and behold it's like 3 am, and I'm now officially a day behind my studies and sleep deprived for work the next day.

Out of curiosity, I went to the old site just to check out how the community is like and holy shit....what a cesspool it has become. The worst of course being the fact that the site owner has now 180'd on his political/social leanings to pander to the community.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never understood the idea that gaming and OT have different people

It is said that OT tends to be more progressive than gaming, as those who sign up for just gaming typically aren't for obvious reasons.

However, that doesn't stop OT from still being ignorant on a number of subjects. There is a feigned level of progressiveness in OT.

I still think you are more likely to find someone progressive in OT than in gaming.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, I went to the old site just to check out how the community is like and holy shit....what a cesspool it has become. The worst of course being the fact that the site owner has now 180'd on his political/social leanings to pander to the community
If you only held those views based on how other people perceived you then you probably never actually believed in them anyway, but I guess when you lose it all, going to the other end seems like the only option.

Dec 24, 2017
When it comes to internet arguments on forums/social media, there truly are no winners. Everyone posting already has their minds made up. The only thing all posters share is that ultimately the time spent crafting all these posts could've been spent doing something actually productive with their lives. I say this of course as an individual just as guilty as the next when it comes to this. My own delusional mind keeps telling me "yo, Gully..that poster is a lost cause.. your post is going to convince some lurker on the fence to see things your way...that'll learn'em". Lo' and behold it's like 3 am, and I'm now officially a day behind my studies and sleep deprived for work the next day.

Out of curiosity, I went to the old site just to check out how the community is like and holy shit....what a cesspool it has become. The worst of course being the fact that the site owner has now 180'd on his political/social leanings to pander to the community.

Shocked. Shocked that someone outed for behavior that could be considered sexual assault doubled down and wallowed in the filthy glow of misogynists.
Pikachushockedface.jpg

Dec 24, 2017

This is generally how I view lots of ERA when it comes to race. This is what they think supporting POC is, and that they think it's real.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm curious but I'm not that curious to go back to see how shitty that place has become.

I use Brave just for that site, since it blocks all ads really well.

& yeah I read through their Captain Marvel thread and was seriously like LOL true colors.

Guess who got 50 likes on this gem.

9VpawiC.jpg

Bless his heart, she's (maybe) bi!

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I use Brave just for that site, since it blocks all ads really well.

& yeah I read through their Captain Marvel thread and was seriously like LOL true colors.

Guess who got 50 likes on this gem.

9VpawiC.jpg

Bless his heart, she's (maybe) bi!

It's amazing how sensitive these individuals are. When I read her original quote, I automatically thought ok she wants more diverse press coverage but in no way did I interpret it as at the expense of the traditional outlets as these people did.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
It's amazing how sensitive these individuals are. When I read her original quote, I automatically thought ok she wants more diverse press coverage but in no way did I interpret it as at the expense of the traditional outlets as these people did.

Yeah they cry a lot.

Also their politics board has turned into r/Donald lol. I read it and realize why we have safety warnings on everything...

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a pretty big difference.

OT is really into performative progressiveness. Gaming doesn't even bother with that

I don't really feel that. Feels more like OT is just more direct about it due to the topics.

Yeah they cry a lot.

Also their politics board has turned into r/Donald lol. I read it and realize why we have safety warnings on everything...
Yeah I don't go in there. My account probably still works though because I used it to help ferry people over here during that transition. I should get it banned.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

I get banned for this type of thing at least 3 times a year haha. Have to let things go so much on this forum despite how much I like posting and reading here. The shocking reality that the rest of the world does not operate/think like the west, usually USA just does not connect for some people here and pointing that out isn't well like particularly in the gaming side.

Just gotta let it and the snap judgement go~

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need to head to sleep but feeling a little overwhelmed atm now that I'm processing what happened today :( Just so appalling.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My dog got skunked and the smell was everywhere all night and it followed me to work

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I need to branch out and find new food. Suggestions? I'm cool with anything but spicy because my stomach's not in a condition for that right now
Aw fuck I left you hanging. Sorry!

Have you looked into Caribbean inspirations? Lot of rice and black beans for your starchy bases, and there's some terrific flavors to throw in there. They're cheap and better for you than breads, too.

Pork shoulder is a popular cut in Puerto Rico and Cuba (pigs took to the islands well), and you throw one in the crock/Instant Pot you've got a week's meal prep out of the way.

Super-easy recipe: Rub that shoulder with cumin, coriander, fennel seed, garlic, salt, and pepper; braise it in chicken/veggie stock, with cup of ginger ale. Let it braise for like 4 hours until it's fall-apart tender, then serve it with over rice and some cilantro sprigs.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Imagine caring about a movie so much that you post that shit above. Now, imagine you're not 20 years old anymore but 30+.

To be fair, I feel the same way about some ERA posters too.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I never got my account banned from there, but I haven't really been back. Surprised, but simultaneously not surprised at what it's become. The outrage at Captain Marvel though, hahaha.

Dec 24, 2017
Bunch of new Muslim brothers and sisters dropped by the intro to pistols and carbines class this morning. Hell yeah.

Edit: I'm proud to have helped members of marginalized groups today improve their ability to protect themselves.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of new Muslim brothers and sisters dropped by the intro to pistols and carbines class this morning. Hell yeah.

Edit: I'm proud to have helped members of marginalized groups today improve their ability to protect themselves.
The sadly ironic part is that might lead to more strict gun control laws. It's happened before and it sucks that THAT'S the line.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
The sadly ironic part is that might lead to more strict gun control laws. It's happened before and it sucks that THAT'S the line.

That's what they fear. White folks can get that shit easily passed and forgiven right? When the disenfranchised start arming themselves legally? They're going to go, "we need to do something about guns!!"

I seriously need to get my own license soon. I have no idea why I keep putting it off.

Dec 24, 2017
Honestly, I would prefer not to be armed, or feel like I need to be, but the far right has killed and will kill again. So, if everyone has to get rid of them, I'm OK with that. But until then, gotta do what I need to do and help my neighbors protect themselves if thats what they want.

Dec 24, 2017
Had all the interns in the big glass walled conference room, showing them how to run skip traces using a giant 72" screen. Was emphasizing how mild Internet sleuthing would yield good enough results than doing an Accurint/LexisNexis search. Randomly chose a case file and started googling the person/business. Plastic surgeon in Hawaii.

72" screen now full of giant phots of boobies with lens flares covering the nipples, in my glass walled conference room.

That was my own fault. Now ladies in the office are teasing me by wearing novelty sunglasses post it's on their chests and coming in my office to chit chat.

I deserve all of this. All of it.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Had all the interns in the big glass walled conference room, showing them how to run skip traces using a giant 72" screen. Was emphasizing how mild Internet sleuthing would yield good enough results than doing an Accurint/LexisNexis search. Randomly chose a case file and started googling the person/business. Plastic surgeon in Hawaii.

72" screen now full of giant phots of boobies with lens flares covering the nipples, in my glass walled conference room.

That was my own fault. Now ladies in the office are teasing me by wearing novelty sunglasses post it's on their chests and coming in my office to chit chat.

Hahahhahahahahaha

But how was his work?

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017

Well..... That's a good story to tell at least.

Nov 3, 2017
Just noticed the 'Miyazaki hates American movies' thread is like 9 pages long. Would I be safe in assuming the tread is incredibly Era?