• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
No issues with John Cho being Spike.

It does seem weird to me though that they didn't get an Asian person to play Faye considering they actually said she was from Singapore.
Let's be fair: Daniella Pineda can absolutely pass as East Asian:

5b2ab7205e48ecdc058b459e-750-562.jpg

Nov 3, 2017
No issues with John Cho being Spike.

It does seem weird to me though that they didn't get an Asian person to play Faye considering they actually said she was from Singapore.

Wait. Are the Cowboy Bebop people Asian?

I never watched the show and my only exposure to them was through their inclusion in the latest Super Robot Wars, and my impression was that they are anime white people, given their last names are things like Spiegal and Valentine

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

I never watched the show and my only exposure to them was through their inclusion in the latest Super Robot Wars, and my impression was that they are anime white people, given their last names are things like Spiegal and Valentine
If I remember correctly none of them were actually given nationalities except for Faye. I would think Faye would be Asian just because like 3/4 of Singapore are Chinese to begin with.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

faye chose her own name for story reasons so hers doesn't really tell you anything. I think people tended to think Spike was jewish though just because of the last name, but it's not really inconceivable that he is asian since he was visually based off a Japanese actor.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible to be Jewish and Asian. There was a Jewish community in Kaifeng China that existed as early as the Song Dynasty.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Let's be fair: Daniella Pineda can absolutely pass as East Asian:

5b2ab7205e48ecdc058b459e-750-562.jpg

Her explanation of tetanurae alone is enough to make me hate her. It's like a man getting a fucking blue transfusion from a Gorilla. I know I know, it's Collin Trevorrow's "writing" but dear god her character is awful. Her relationship with dinosaurs is just... what? You are a dinosaur vet that's never seen a dinosaur before? I thought everyone and their mom had seen dinosaurs in the world of Jurassic World. That's why attendance is dropping and they have to make a fake dinosaur to draw in the crowds. Now we have a vet who's never even seen a dinosaur before?

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Not really holding it against her per-say. Just that whenever I see her, it's the first thing I think of.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
There sure are a lot of titties in episode 1 of Warrior.

They don't call it Skinemax for nothing....

Just caught the first episode. Definitely a lot of style (costumes are great, fight choreography is slick...nice touches with the Bruce Lee homage) but the Cantonese is atrocious and the dialogue and mannerisms just feels so out of place...Feels like a bunch of 2nd generation American born Asians talking to one another and not Chinese immigrants. I don't think they did their homework in terms of period authenticity.

Dec 24, 2017
They don't call it Skinemax for nothing....

Just caught the first episode. Definitely a lot of style (costumes are great, fight choreography is slick...nice touches with the Bruce Lee homage) but the Cantonese is atrocious and the dialogue and mannerisms just feels so out of place...Feels like a bunch of 2nd generation American born Asians talking to one another and not Chinese immigrants. I don't think they did their homework in terms of period authenticity.

I think it was a conscious choice in terms of the language and not caring much for period authenticity. POV switches I've noticed the English vernacular spoken by the Chinese characters changes to Chinese, and Chinese characters speaking broken English shift to vernacular English when the POV changes. It's an interesting way to deal with not having equal language skills for the cast. Its kind of jarring, but its interesting.

Also, this is why its on Cinemax, and not HBO or Showtime. Cinemax series I have watched have all been action and titties.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the first episode and how they are portraying how everybody speaks. It's interesting and tries to make everybody happy but let's see if it pays off.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh, so I'm not performing well at work. I'm on one of those performance improvement plans :/

I think I can get through it but I'm so anxious that I could lose my job in 4 weeks...it's so hard to do stuff that's not necessarily your passion.

Dec 24, 2017
Sigh, so I'm not performing well at work. I'm on one of those performance improvement plans :/

I think I can get through it but I'm so anxious that I could lose my job in 4 weeks...it's so hard to do stuff that's not necessarily your passion.

What sort of job are you working?

I just called a Pentecostal Church to inform them I am seizing their assets. And they have a lot of assets. While they screamed at me about Hellfire and what not, I wanted to chuckle and croak "You have no power here."

But that would be unprofessional. But for real, they own a 2009 Agusta AW109S Grand. Yeah, I had to look that up. It's a fucking helicopter.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was a conscious choice in terms of the language and not caring much for period authenticity. POV switches I've noticed the English vernacular spoken by the Chinese characters changes to Chinese, and Chinese characters speaking broken English shift to vernacular English when the POV changes. It's an interesting way to deal with not having equal language skills for the cast. Its kind of jarring, but its interesting.

Also, this is why its on Cinemax, and not HBO or Showtime. Cinemax series I have watched have all been action and titties.

I enjoyed the first episode and how they are portraying how everybody speaks. It's interesting and tries to make everybody happy but let's see if it pays off.

It's just doesn't feel period specific. Like these people are talking in modern English vernacular. If I closed my eyes and listened to dialogue, this could've been indistinguishable from Better Luck Tomorrow.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok folks. I'm going to be in NYC next week with the kids. I need the best kbbq place and the best Chinese bbq place in Flushing and Chinatown. I'll be driving so I'll also need to know where I can park without my car getting fucked up...lolz

We're also hitting the MET and MoMA. Any recommendations around there would be great too. Oh and a decent Italian restaurant that's kid friendly.

Thanks!

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok folks. I'm going to be in NYC next week with the kids. I need the best kbbq place and the best Chinese bbq place in Flushing and Chinatown. I'll be driving so I'll also need to know where I can park without my car getting fucked up...lolz

We're also hitting the MET and MoMA. Any recommendations around there would be great too. Oh and a decent Italian restaurant that's kid friendly.

Thanks!
I've heard Lucky Lee is very clean if you want Chinese food that won't make you bloated

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Bah, I'm not wasting my time for more material art's garb-

There sure are a lot of titties in episode 1 of Warrior.

I might have to check this out.

Ok fine, I was actually going to check it out cause of the Bruce Lee connection. How is the actual action? Are they well done and more Asian style or are they american style quick cut aways?

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I keep getting surprised that so many actors/actresses don't already have stars

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5cbf4e7de4b074ddb5092e78/amp

Hey, look, a rom-com starring Asian-Americans!

Netflix only, but I'm super down for this.

The Netflix movie, which is slated to be released on May 31, features an all-star cast with some other big Asian American names including Daniel Dae Kim, Keanu Reaves and Karan Soni.

I didn't realize Keanu was 1/4 Chinese/Hawaiian....

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I HAVE RETURNEDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

So much has happened.

Okay not a lot. But, basically, meph and I are moving to SF. Mostly, meph will be up there this August (at Cal, wooo, I'm really proud of him! [tell him to stop mocking my shitty UCR degree thanks]), and I will MAYBE be up there as well (am interviewing now, but it depends if I get into the IRS or not.)

So yeah. Missed y'all :). Someone give me a job in SF please... or at least some recs some safe housing areas south of Richmond/north of Berkeley.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I HAVE RETURNEDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

So much has happened.

Okay not a lot. But, basically, meph and I are moving to SF. Mostly, meph will be up there this August (at Cal, wooo, I'm really proud of him! [tell him to stop mocking my shitty UCR degree thanks]), and I will MAYBE be up there as well (am interviewing now, but it depends if I get into the IRS or not.)

So yeah. Missed y'all :). Someone give me a job in SF please... or at least some recs some safe housing areas south of Richmond/north of Berkeley.
Eat all the Asian food you can now because it's going to be worse and more expensive after you move.