• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't big on the food the last time I was in SF. That and everything was either up or down

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
But everyone keeps telling me SF has the best food =p

(I know LA is superior though.)

Super bias since I hated SF as a city (been there 3 times and hated it all three time) but I mainly hated it because of the food and also how aggressive the homeless people were, your wife (went two of the times) bitching at you that she's too scared to go out alone does not give you a good vibe of the city.

But SF food scene is pretty trash unless you're plopping down a lot of money. It lacks the reasonably priced ethnic/local eats that other city (NYC, Houston, LA, Vancouver, Montreal,Toronto, ect) has. Its just a soulless trash city.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I have friends and relatives who went to those Canadian cities and they all said the food is legit. Seafood is also just a fraction of the price compared to American coastal cities. I've heard good stories about Australia too.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SF's Chinatown wasn't great for food and I haven't been back for several years. All the good Chinese food is in the suburban enclaves.

Toronto's food is legit as well. Especially Fishman's. That place is LEGIT.

Chicago should have passable Chinese food. It's one of the cities where we Chinese folk settled.

Last edited:

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago's Chinese food is passable.. a lot of mala places.

Bay Area has way better dim sum than LA. I've lived in SoCal for 16 years total and I still have yet to find a dim sum places that's better than the spots in my hometown.

Nov 3, 2017
Not specifically related to AsianEra, but god that thread about that Eritrean guy's feelings on Black Panther reminds me of how like 90% of Asian threads go here

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Firstly, I'm back. I think over the break I've resolved I'm not going into OT again. Gaming is okay, because it's not about anything important usually, and here is okay but I found OT just gets too depressing and I'm not down with dragging my mood and karma down from being there. Plus I don't really like Marvel movies or comic books that much anyways =).

Second, OMG congratulations meph and Pet and GO BEARS. It's too bad we will just miss each other cause I love this place. Berkeley is an amazing learning community and it's hard to imagine another place like it in the world. I'm dealing with the fact that I'm gonna be out of campus in a couple of weeks and well, lets just say nostalgia is hitting me hard. All the shortcomings of the Bay Area melt away for me whenever I'm on campus.

OK, onto practical advice though. What program is meph getting into? If you guys are married or domestically partnered, you should totally look into University Village for housing. Even if you aren't sure, just fill out the application. You get hella cheap rent for the area, direct service from the 52 bus to campus, and Albany is a nice, cute town that's not too bad for the East Bay. Only reason I didn't live there is cause my wife worked on the Peninsula when I first got in and it was too far for her to commute. Only downside is that it's not really luxury living tbh, I mean it's okay but it's not OC style single family dwellings, so I guess it depends on how loaded you guys are if you want to go that route.

Let me know what's up if you need advice! It's so exciting to see people get decisions. I volunteer with community college students trying to transfer into undergraduate programs and this is honestly so rewarding to hear about people's hard work paying off. So cool to see it happen here (not saying Meph is a CC student, but just to see people get in is so amazing). Cheers!

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm trying to get my recently retired father in a hobby, any hobby, just so he stops driving my mom nuts. I sent him a Steam code for Civ. Let's see if this works.

Hahah Civ? gg

Has he considered raising chickens? Or fish? It's very relaxing. Maybe Stardew Valley :p

Not specifically related to AsianEra, but god that thread about that Eritrean guy's feelings on Black Panther reminds me of how like 90% of Asian threads go here

Yeah...

I almost feel like it's getting SLIGHTLY better (is it?), but it's not quite there yet.

Plus I don't really like Marvel movies or comic books that much anyways =).

BOOO.

Re: the rest of your post - Thanks! Were you in Starting Point? It's too bad we'll all be just missing each other, but c'est la vie and congratulations on finishing :).

I can't cheer for the Bears in good conscience. GO HIGHLANDERS. (Yes, my alma mater is UCRejects haha.)

Dec 24, 2017
My interactions with Andrew Yang supporters have all been bad so far. I might actually put the interactions I've had so far even less constructive than I've had with Trump supporters.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
My interactions with Andrew Yang supporters have all been bad so far. I might actually put the interactions I've had so far even less constructive than I've had with Trump supporters.

I was listening to his town hall last night and I like his policies for the most part, but his support base is really off putting which is kind of a shame (not that he has a chance of winning the democratic party nomination).

Dec 24, 2017
I was listening to his town hall last night and I like his policies for the most part, but his support base is really off putting which is kind of a shame (not that he has a chance of winning the democratic party nomination).

His universal basic income/VAT stance in some bullshit in my opinion. Funding a basic income by cannibalizing existing welfare programs and imposing regressive consumption taxes perversely places the burden of subsidizing low wages on the poor and working-class people making them in the first place. I prefer taxes on the wealthy and on financial transactions as a means to both fund basic income and disincentivize certain activities, like banking, that make money without creating anything of value.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
His universal basic income/VAT stance in some bullshit in my opinion. Funding a basic income by cannibalizing existing welfare programs and imposing regressive consumption taxes perversely places the burden of subsidizing low wages on the poor and working-class people making them in the first place. I prefer taxes on the wealthy and on financial transactions as a means to both fund basic income and disincentivize certain activities, like banking, that make money without creating anything of value.

I'll admit that I haven't dug deeply into his platform. I didn't know he was in favor of gutting existing welfare programs but I am aware of his stance on income tax/not really taxing the wealthy on that aspect. It does state though in his website that he is for taxing of financial transactions such as banking.

Dec 24, 2017
I'll admit that I haven't dug deeply into his platform. I didn't know he was in favor of gutting existing welfare programs but I am aware of his stance on income tax/not really taxing the wealthy on that aspect. It does state though in his website that he is for taxing of financial transactions such as banking.

Yeah, you can have your UBI of $1000 or you can have your government programs. That's a shitty choice.

It would be easier than you might think. Andrew proposes funding UBI by consolidating some welfare programs and implementing a Value-Added Tax (VAT) of 10%. Current welfare and social program beneficiaries would be given a choice between their current benefits or $1,000 cash unconditionally – most would prefer cash with no restriction.

It just reads really gross too. At least to me anyway. That above quote was off his campaign website.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
First place to start should be closing the loopholes multi-billion dollar corporations use to pay no taxes despite billions in profits. And the same for wealthy individuals and families.

Going after existing welfare programs... doing it wrong is saying it lightly.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
BOOO.

Re: the rest of your post - Thanks! Were you in Starting Point? It's too bad we'll all be just missing each other, but c'est la vie and congratulations on finishing :).

I can't cheer for the Bears in good conscience. GO HIGHLANDERS. (Yes, my alma mater is UCRejects haha.)

Ya, I was in Starting Point. It is too bad we'll miss each other but I'm sure both of ya'll will love Berkeley. TBH I'm interviewing for stuff around there so I might still be on campus afterwards but there's no guarantee. Are you guys coming down for transfer day next week?

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Ya, I was in Starting Point. It is too bad we'll miss each other but I'm sure both of ya'll will love Berkeley. TBH I'm interviewing for stuff around there so I might still be on campus afterwards but there's no guarantee. Are you guys coming down for transfer day next week?

We are! If you're in the area, let's eat :).

edit: Between meph and myself, only one of us is an axe murderer, so you're pretty safe.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising that Yang would go after government programs - plays into the sense of individualism underpinning his platform or maybe the U.S. in general really.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I really have come to despise the academic elitism when it comes to STEM at times. It's the pettiest bullshit I've come across. I have a couple of buddies who are PhD's having/had difficult times making the transition from academia to tech industry. Both are lamenting about the fact that they don't get enough credit for what they went through and how the industry doesn't value their wide and diverse expertise....fine it's tough I get it ..but then to turn around and say that anyone below a PhD is not a scientist...:rolls eyes:

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
So I saw a post on Subtle Asian Dating about some cute airport love story. Then towards the end one of the comments from a woman on the plane was like "you'd make beautiful mixed babies!".

Can we stop with the fetishizing of mixed babies? It's so creepy how people use it as some sort of benchmark about "post racial America". 95% it's always used in a context where the husband is a white male with a female POC.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I saw a post on Subtle Asian Dating about some cute airport love story. Then towards the end one of the comments from a woman on the plane was like "you'd make beautiful mixed babies!".

Can we stop with the fetishizing of mixed babies? It's so creepy how people use it as some sort of benchmark about "post racial America". 95% it's always used in a context where the husband is a white male with a female POC.

I mean, I am quite beautiful, so there is some truth to this notion.

Dec 24, 2017
I told an angry old white man that I don't care how wealthy he or his family is, when he got my extension randomly at work.

I guess someone is probably going to want to have a word with me.

Dec 24, 2017
We have a collections team here. They probably called and said he owed money, we have business services providers that use us to pursue debt. So he or an entity he's associated with probably missed some payments for something and he got a call and didn't want to dial in an extension or just started jamming buttons.

He was rambling about how the bill is a mistake and that he wipes his ass with how much money his family has. (He said family a lot, not him, but his family. Also would talk about how connected he is in Nebraska.). After about a minute of his bloviating, he asked a rhetorical question, probably, of "Do you know how much my family is worth?"

And my post lunch tired mind got the better of me: "Sir, I don't care how much your family is worth." There was sputtering, vague threats about him billing me for his time and as soon as he started cursing, I hung up on him.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
That seems like a perfectly reasonable response to "Do you know how much money my family is worth?" in any business situation. Because such a question is literally only used to bribe or threaten, and nobody else fucking cares.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
gg trailer

I don't even know how I'd keep a straight face if someone said that to me.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf, why have nobody told me Kyler Murray is Asian American.

First Asian American Heisman winner and number 1 draft pick and 0 news media picked it up?

Dec 24, 2017
gg trailer

I don't even know how I'd keep a straight face if someone said that to me.
TrailerParkRanger you were way more polite than ever could be in that situation.

Thanks! I get that in general no one wants to hear from collectors or a law firm out of the blue. So when people call upset it doesn't bother me and I generally let them vent and try to be nice. But this dude...I wish I could get into deeper details on why my eyes rolled extra hard, but it's so weird to me when people use their wealth or their family's wealth as a thing.

I've run into a number of the Pritzkers in Chicago, and not one of them has ever mentioned how much money they have. Why would they need to?

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
We don't age until about 55-60 when the grim reaper rolls around and just beats us mercilessly.
I do not believe that belief to be the reality of what actually happens - I especially do not believe that stupid comic that is everywhere showing an Asian woman that does not age at all in adulthood and then suddenly after menopause ages many decades all at once.

I strongly argue that people are making the mistake of comparing different generations that went through very different life experiences. A lot of Asians from the older generations survived through poverty, and/or war, and/or famine, and/or poor access to quality healthcare, so of course they will not age well.

The vast majority of the younger generations of Asians live lives without those big ordeals.

I expect we will age very very well throughout our lives.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
It was weird to me when I realized the fetishization of mixed babies was not just something the "young" generation does but is often/mostly? pushed by older generations.