• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
It was weird to me when I realized the fetishization of mixed babies was not just something the "young" generation does but is often/mostly? pushed by older generations.

My sister is a few years older than me (30) and she always goes on about how cute and superior they are to regular Hmong babies. She's married (to another Hmong guy) and has a Hmong child herself. Yikes.

I also know a bunch of other Hmong women including my older sisters that also regurgitate the same shit.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
My sister is a few years older than me (30) and she always goes on about how cute and superior they are to regular Hmong babies. She's married (to another Hmong guy) and has a Hmong child herself. Yikes.

I also know a bunch of other Hmong women including my older sisters that also regurgitate the same shit.
I wonder if this will go away with time or if Gen Z Asians will still believe this stuff. I mean, the average mixed kid is just... average looking? My guess is for older generations not used to white features in their family or community just looking different looks better - just thinking out loud.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at a hawker centre in Singapore and this is the best

Good food so cheap omggg

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will go away with time or if Gen Z Asians will still believe this stuff. I mean, the average mixed kid is just... average looking? My guess is for older generations not used to white features in their family or community just looking different looks better - just thinking out loud.
Maybe it's because they look exotic to older gens. Like OMG this kid looks Asian but not how is this even possible.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
if you like books then you should check out kinokuniya at takashimaya, biggest bookstore in south east asia afaik
the current one is a bit smaller from few years ago though if i'm not mistaken
if you can read traditional chinese/japanese then it's the probably the best source of manga tankoubons outside of taiwan and hongkong

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Did y'all know that eyes can catch colds?

I've been crying for about an entire day, shedding contagious viral infections all over meph .

gg

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
if you like books then you should check out kinokuniya at takashimaya, biggest bookstore in south east asia afaik
the current one is a bit smaller from few years ago though if i'm not mistaken
if you can read traditional chinese/japanese then it's the probably the best source of manga tankoubons outside of taiwan and hongkong

thanks. didn't end up doing too much tbh, just bummed around various malls, drew a little in the gardens by the bay, saw family etc.

had a totally shit experience with durian in chinatown (got scammed into buying some dry-ass flavorless garbage) but it's offseason and i am tourist as fuck so I guess I learned a lesson

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I had the most awful weekend y'all.

So Thursday night - eyes turn mysteriously bloodshot out of nowhere. Okay, fine. I put in drops and hope it'll clear up by Friday. Friday - wake up, eyes look a bit better, but sadly women issues have not subsided so I'm pretty uncomfortable. Okay, FINE. Drive up to norcal, have dinner, wake up Saturday.. and shit. Can't open my right eye AT ALL due to intense burning/stinging/watering. meph misses half of the whole orientation/info day because I wind up at the Berkeley Eye Center, where they're like.. well we're not 100% sure what's wrong with you, so here are some drops (that insurance doesn't cover and costs me $75) that MIGHT help but come back tomorrow.

Fine. I miss dinner with Miletius (which I'm SUPER bummed out about) because I'm (told I'm) infectious, and crying (I go through an entire box of tissues in two hours because I keep crying and my nose is keeping like crazy), but figure... well, c'est la vie. I can't keep my eyes open to do anything because of the pain- so I end up sleeping super early on and off.

Sunday morning - holyshitwtfthepain is worse. Except, now, my eyes are so bad that I can't open EITHER ONE, and poor meph literally has to guide me around LIKE I AM BLIND. Not only can I not open my eyes, they are in CONSTANT agony. Like, someone took a needle and is just poking me repeatedly in both eyes, even when my eyes are closed. To top it off, since I slept so much, I have that headache you get when you sleep way too much. I'm miserable.

I asked meph how it could get any worse, and surprise... IT DOES.

So, meph has to help me shower because I can't see. This particular shower has two knobs - one for hot, one for cold. He gets the water going and I'm fine. I wash my hair, and I'm done. So, meph reaches in, and turns off the cold water-- but not the hot water. THE HOT WATER IS LITERALLY SCALDING. I start screaming and run face first into the shower wall and now my forehead and nose feel funny but I don't realize this BECAUSE MY ENTIRE BACK IS BEING BOILED.

He finally figures out what is going on and turns off the water, but now my entire back is an angry red and I'm, no joke, sobbing in his arms because I'm in so much pain. I end up having to take a very long tepid soak to my back because how else do you treat a first degree burn? Note, this whole time I am completely blind and my eyes are still on fire.

After this, I get to the eye clinic (thank god they're open Sunday), and they're like.. well, we don't know what's going on. It doesn't look bacterial or viral, but it's unexplained. The attending refers me to someone in OC that they think MIGHT be able to help me, they give me a final numbing drop, and tell me good luck, take some tylenol. The tldr is they have no idea what caused my pain, no idea why I'm in so much pain, and no idea how to treat it.

So as we're FINALLY leaving Berkeley, meph goes and drops one unopened cup of boba that breaks open and splashes on my legs.

And AFTER we get on the road, my cramps go away, my headache disappears, my eyes stop hurting (seriously this is the most baffling thing ever?)

YEAH I AM SO OVER BERKELEY Y'ALL.

I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT THE CITY IS SENTIENT AND IT'S TRYING TO KILL ME.

& this concludes the end of my story of woe, my Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Weekend.

edit: oh, but I have to say... meph is fucking amazing. He was so patient with me, comforted me because I absolutely ruined the weekend, and drove up and down both ways. Ahhhh. You're the best. (Except for when you tried to blanch me.)

Last edited:

DosaDaRaja

Oct 26, 2017

So Thursday night - eyes turn mysteriously bloodshot out of nowhere. Okay, fine. I put in drops and hope it'll clear up by Friday. Friday - wake up, eyes look a bit better, but sadly women issues have not subsided so I'm pretty uncomfortable. Okay, FINE. Drive up to norcal, have dinner, wake up Saturday.. and shit. Can't open my right eye AT ALL due to intense burning/stinging/watering. meph misses half of the whole orientation/info day because I wind up at the Berkeley Eye Center, where they're like.. well we're not 100% sure what's wrong with you, so here are some drops (that insurance doesn't cover and costs me $75) that MIGHT help but come back tomorrow.

Fine. I miss dinner with Miletius (which I'm SUPER bummed out about) because I'm (told I'm) infectious, and crying (I go through an entire box of tissues in two hours because I keep crying and my nose is keeping like crazy), but figure... well, c'est la vie. I can't keep my eyes open to do anything because of the pain- so I end up sleeping super early on and off.

Sunday morning - holyshitwtfthepain is worse. Except, now, my eyes are so bad that I can't open EITHER ONE, and poor meph literally has to guide me around LIKE I AM BLIND. Not only can I not open my eyes, they are in CONSTANT agony. Like, someone took a needle and is just poking me repeatedly in both eyes, even when my eyes are closed. To top it off, since I slept so much, I have that headache you get when you sleep way too much. I'm miserable.

So, meph has to help me shower because I can't see. This particular shower has two knobs - one for hot, one for cold. He gets the water going and I'm fine. I wash my hair, and I'm done. So, meph reaches in, and turns off the cold water-- but not the hot water. THE HOT WATER IS LITERALLY SCALDING. I start screaming and run face first into the shower wall and now my forehead and nose feel funny but I don't realize this BECAUSE MY ENTIRE BACK IS BEING BOILED.

He finally figures out what is going on and turns off the water, but now my entire back is an angry red and I'm, no joke, sobbing in his arms because I'm in so much pain. I end up having to take a very long tepid soak to my back because how else do you treat a first degree burn? Note, this whole time I am completely blind and my eyes are still on fire.

After this, I get to the eye clinic (thank god they're open Sunday), and they're like.. well, we don't know what's going on. It doesn't look bacterial or viral, but it's unexplained. The attending refers me to someone in OC that they think MIGHT be able to help me, they give me a final numbing drop, and tell me good luck, take some tylenol. The tldr is they have no idea what caused my pain, no idea why I'm in so much pain, and no idea how to treat it.

So as we're FINALLY leaving Berkeley, meph goes and drops one unopened cup of boba that breaks open and splashes on my legs.

And AFTER we get on the road, my cramps go away, my headache disappears, my eyes stop hurting (seriously this is the most baffling thing ever?)

& this concludes the end of my story of woe, my Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Weekend.

edit: oh, but I have to say... meph is fucking amazing. He was so patient with me, comforted me because I absolutely ruined the weekend, and drove up and down both ways. Ahhhh. You're the best.
People can get headaches from sleeping too long?

mercviper

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

edit: oh, but I have to say... meph is fucking amazing. He was so patient with me, comforted me because I absolutely ruined the weekend, and drove up and down both ways. Ahhhh. You're the best.
Oh jesus that's horrible. I'm so sorry that all happened but I'm glad it's gone now lol.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA

edit: oh, but I have to say... meph is fucking amazing. He was so patient with me, comforted me because I absolutely ruined the weekend, and drove up and down both ways. Ahhhh. You're the best. (Except for when you tried to blanch me.)

I'm sorry to hear about things, I totally understand about the cancel. Truthfully, Laura had a ton of work and I was pretty beat after my Taekwondo test in the morning and meeting with students in the afternoon so it might have been for the best anyways. Next time you and Meph are in town we can work out something for sure. I'm guessing it'll be in the Fall sometime, you gotta move him in, eh?

TBH allergy season here has been especially bad this year and I'm wondering if maybe that might have been some of the cause of your stuff. We had one of the wettest winters in a while, lasting well into April and I think maybe that might have caused an ongoing pollen bomb. I have skin allergies myself and it's been pretty bad although it is dying down now. At any rate, sorry to hear that Berkeley is trying to kill you =).

Rest up, feel better, and I'll catch you both next time you're in town!

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This weekend was the worst, but this Monday is awesome. I think it's karma :p.

I got a job offer from the IRS (hahahahahaha oh boy), another firm in SF fell in love with me and is trying to bring me on board ASAP (complete with relocation comp!), a couple more firms are throwing offers, and my current firm got acquired so they're also giving me a new offer with a higher base salary (but no paid overtime, boo. That's pretty normal in my industry though. Paid overtime is super rare.) I have a ton of choices, and honestly it gives me such impostor syndrome.

Seven years ago I was applying on Craiglist as an administrative assistant, getting hired at my first job out of college as a personal assistant (walking dogs, picking up dry cleaning, making minimum wage... and I can't believe where I am now. I'm sooo freaking lucky. Also I can't get over the fact that professional firms actually want to hire me as a professional. Six figure/near six figure salaries. I even have a pathway to joining boards for nonprofits now. WTF.

I realize how braggy this sounds, but I don't feel proud at all. Just shocked. I honestly feel like an idiot all the time... like I have no idea what I'm doing, like I'm so slow and dumb compared to so many other people in my field. It blows my mind and I'm scared that someone is going to figure out I don't belong here at all. I don't even feel like I belong here. Half the reason I joined the IRS is because it's kind of unspoken that the second tier CPAs go there, and I was like... I feel more like I belong there, with all the second/third rate people. (The other half is working 40 hours a week and having job security forever.)

I'm still taking the IRS job because meph is my investment vehicle (I expect big dividends from you, babe :p), but that firms think so highly of me is seriously... awe inspiring and shocking and I can't really believe it O_O.

People can get headaches from sleeping too long?

It's always been a problem for me. If I take a nap during the day, I wake up with a raging headache and am groggy the rest of the day (even when I drink lots of water). Same if I sleep over 9 hours (but if I sleep less than 7 hours I'm also a mess. I'm very delicate.)

Oh jesus that's horrible. I'm so sorry that all happened but I'm glad it's gone now lol.

Thanks merc. I know, it was pretty much every single horrible thing that could happen to me physically happened.

I'm sorry to hear about things, I totally understand about the cancel. Truthfully, Laura had a ton of work and I was pretty beat after my Taekwondo test in the morning and meeting with students in the afternoon so it might have been for the best anyways. Next time you and Meph are in town we can work out something for sure. I'm guessing it'll be in the Fall sometime, you gotta move him in, eh?

TBH allergy season here has been especially bad this year and I'm wondering if maybe that might have been some of the cause of your stuff. We had one of the wettest winters in a while, lasting well into April and I think maybe that might have caused an ongoing pollen bomb. I have skin allergies myself and it's been pretty bad although it is dying down now. At any rate, sorry to hear that Berkeley is trying to kill you =).

Rest up, feel better, and I'll catch you both next time you're in town!

Aww I hope y'all got some rest. & yeah, we'll be in during August for sure, but I MIGHT be in town at the end of May, so I'll keep you posted!!!

The first attending thought it was aggravated by insane allergies. Second one thinks it's my limbal stem cell disease combined with a particularly bad case of allergies. It's really weird that it was both eyes at first and then just one eye later (but so severe it was causing me to not be able to open both eyes). I got referred to a specialist here in socal so I'm seeing them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017
I really hate pursuing Asian owned business at work. Not because I feel bad for having to do it, just the stream of excuses and feigned ignorance about how money and legal obligations work. Let's be real Asian people, you know exactly how making money works. You know exactly why you are getting my letters and phone calls. Please don't force me to file a complaint against you.

Also, this is directed at the Koreans I have to pursue. When I call and I pronounce your name in Korean, with the last name first. Maybe assume that I know how to speak/understand Korean and try not to commit any additional crimes whilst on a recorded line with me. I had to notify ICE and put someone on a watch list. Don't make me cooperate with ICE.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also, this is directed at the Koreans I have to pursue. When I call and I pronounce your name in Korean, with the last name first. Maybe assume that I know how to speak/understand Korean and try not to commit any additional crimes whilst on a recorded line with me. I had to notify ICE and put someone on a watch list. Don't make me cooperate with ICE.
I want to know the rest of this story

Dec 24, 2017
I want to know the rest of this story

Without getting into too much detail. The person is question was not complying with a judgment against them, that required they pay a decent sum of money. Low 5 figure range. While on the phone with me, he and his daughter, who were both named in the judgment, are speaking to each other in Korean about leaving the country and coming back in about a year to avoid payment. Which, isn't a big deal, in the grand scheme, what I'd do at that point is make a call to their bank and put a hold on their account using the judgment we've obtained. The extra conversation was her saying that they can't leave the country because of her kids, and him saying "Just bring them, don't worry about the divorce."

At that point, I am overheating a potential child abduction. You can't leave the country during the middle of divorce/custody with kids without consent of the other parent. So I had to put their names on a list with The Feds.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Without getting into too much detail. The person is question was not complying with a judgment against them, that required they pay a decent sum of money. Low 5 figure range. While on the phone with me, he and his daughter, who were both named in the judgment, are speaking to each other in Korean about leaving the country and coming back in about a year to avoid payment. Which, isn't a big deal, in the grand scheme, what I'd do at that point is make a call to their bank and put a hold on their account using the judgment we've obtained. The extra conversation was her saying that they can't leave the country because of her kids, and him saying "Just bring them, don't worry about the divorce."

At that point, I am overheating a potential child abduction. You can't leave the country during the middle of divorce/custody with kids without consent of the other parent. So I had to put their names on a list with The Feds.
I love stories of people outing putting themselves because they don't know you understand what they're saying

Dec 24, 2017
I love stories of people outing putting themselves because they don't know you understand what they're saying

I felt weird about it. Because I don't know that the dad isn't a dick or a horrible person. But, it's kids and I'm not going to let adults drag kids into their poor decision making. I'm unsure of what exactly is going on with that now.

DosaDaRaja

Oct 26, 2017

This will make a lovely skit in my next movie script

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I felt weird about it. Because I don't know that the dad isn't a dick or a horrible person. But, it's kids and I'm not going to let adults drag kids into their poor decision making. I'm unsure of what exactly is going on with that now.
I can guarantee you that if your first thought is "take the kids and flee the country" when you rack up debt you probably aren't great

Dec 24, 2017
Again if all it took was you, they were probably doomed already. A good relationship doesn't just crumble from one conversation

Oh absolutely, it's because I leave them messages like "Hey Mr. So and So, do you want to call me back or have your attorney call me back? If not I can have you served at..." then I list the various addresses associated with them. More than once these have been addresses where they meet mistresses to bone, or where they are on the lease while their mistress lives there.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
TPR- I have no idea how you can mentally handle that kind of job. I don't think I could.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh absolutely, it's because I leave them messages like "Hey Mr. So and So, do you want to call me back or have your attorney call me back? If not I can have you served at..." then I list the various addresses associated with them. More than once these have been addresses where they meet mistresses to bone, or where they are on the lease while their mistress lives there.
If that happened I'd probably just have this look on my face
UWG3Bky_d.jpg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Worst part of my job is determining completion estimates. Because if something out of my control screws up I have to react like it's in my control

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA

Dude WTH at those people. Well, at least you have stories like this to tell. My life seems pretty boring in comparison to yours.

Dec 24, 2017
Dude WTH at those people. Well, at least you have stories like this to tell. My life seems pretty boring in comparison to yours.

To be fair, most of the time people are cursing at me and angry because I remind them of a bad situation that they are in. I honestly take an incredible amount of verbal abuse. But I don't get mad about it. No point in getting upset.