• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Burning out doesn't necessarily mean failing at stuff. You could just be going through the motions and not finding any interest in what you do. In terms of one year job, I dunno if it exists in your field, but in mine it's typically very easy to get a 1-2 year position while applying for post grad education.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean by mental maturity?

Time management is part of it, but moreso having a real desire to learn and practice a particular field. I got solid grades throughout my undergrad, but I treated it like high school+, where I just did homework and studied for tests from the assigned material. I didn't have a passion for the topics that would lead me to dive deep and ask questions that went beyond the surface or work on independent projects for their own sake (rather than doing the minimum required for a particular grade).

Graduate school is (and was) a wasted opportunity with that mentality. It wasn't until I got out in the "real world" that I began to really explore my own projects, contribute and collaborate, and build up an understanding of how and why things work (or don't).

Most business programs (including marketing) want you to get a few years' experience in the field before coming back for an MBA/etc. anyway.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Burning out doesn't necessarily mean failing at stuff. You could just be going through the motions and not finding any interest in what you do. In terms of one year job, I dunno if it exists in your field, but in mine it's typically very easy to get a 1-2 year position while applying for post grad education.
I'm not sure that's a much of an option where I'm at but I appreciate your perspective nonetheless, I'm for sure going through the motions and not really feeling stimulated intellectually or creatively. Some time off was actually on the cards actually, a trip to Korea for the first time in 14 years for half a year maybe.

Time management is part of it, but moreso having a real desire to learn and practice a particular field. I got solid grades throughout my undergrad, but I treated it like high school+, where I just did homework and studied for tests from the assigned material. I didn't have a passion for the topics that would lead me to dive deep and ask questions that went beyond the surface or work on independent projects for their own sake (rather than doing the minimum required for a particular grade).

Graduate school is (and was) a wasted opportunity with that mentality. It wasn't until I got out in the "real world" that I began to really explore my own projects, contribute and collaborate, and build up an understanding of how and why things work (or don't).

Most business programs (including marketing) want you to get a few years' experience in the field before coming back for an MBA/etc. anyway.
I am starting to dig deeper into the respective disciplines I'm in I guess, it just feels like what I'm learning is just the tip of the iceberg and I really don't know much about anything. To top it off I'm not sure what I want to do career wise at the moment.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Always Be My Maybe a lot more than I thought I would from the trailer, so that's a thumbs up from me. I haven't seen any of the later seasons, but I got a lot of FOTB vibes from some of the jokes. And is it just me, or is Keanu's performance in this a lot better than in John Wick 3? :|

LOL....to this day I still don't understand gamergate.
I ignored GamerGate for a long time, but when I finally got around to read what it was actually about, it was totally "What the faaaaaa..." It made me ashamed to be a gamer, it did. These days I spend most of my Era time on EtCetEra unless there's some major gaming news coming through.

I stumbled upon this guy's video essay channel on Asian films and it's pretty good. Two I want to highlight are criticisms on modern Chinese films that I've had for awhile.

I remember watching Ip Man thinking ...yeah the action is cool but the propaganda was just way too eye rolling

On Chinese blockbusters...

I think I saw the second one pop up in my YouTube recommendations before but I assumed it was gonna be something dumb. Will check it out on your recommendation!

I didn't mind Ip Man, it did have that nationalistic bent but China was getting effed left and right by colonialism in the time it was set, so a lot of hero stories from that time tend to be about fighting back.

I am starting to dig deeper into the respective disciplines I'm in I guess, it just feels like what I'm learning is just the tip of the iceberg and I really don't know much about anything. To top it off I'm not sure what I want to do career wise at the moment.
That sounds a bit like imposter syndrome. I'm sure you know a lot more than you think! And the rest is there for you to learn!

And at least you're thinking about these things while you're still learning. Me, I was just a bum at uni, and sometimes I feel as lost as ever a decade later.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds a bit like imposter syndrome. I'm sure you know a lot more than you think! And the rest is there for you to learn!

And at least you're thinking about these things while you're still learning. Me, I was just a bum at uni, and sometimes I feel as lost as ever a decade later.
Yeah lots of people who have graduated and are 'doing life' have reassured me that I'm at least mulling over stuff like this which is comforting, it still feels a little concerning that I'm apathetic and can't shake off this feeling of complacency.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
lint2015 now you see why some of us don't want to be associated with 'gamers' and their ilk, lol. It's become such a toxic word that it's going to take years until the word is in positive light. Can't believe I used that word seriously when I was younger FeelsBadMan

I'm going to spread the info in case some Asians in here don't know:

88 = isn't a good number. 8 = eighth letter of the alphabet. Double it? Heil Hitler.
HH = is another replacement for 88. Since H is 8. HH = Heil Hitler and then 88 is the above.
GG = you would think Good Game! But it's anything but. It's actually Gamer Gate.
WP = some racists use this as "Well Played!" But to people who knows it's actually White Power.

Now some people may be asking, "how does one know which is which when you're in a lobby with other people?" That's how deep it is with the White Supremacists and Nazis. We don't know because 88 can mean a birth year, graduation year, etc. It's really just an instinct one learns. The same applies to GG and WP but if you find yourself in a random lobby of whatever game you're in then chances are high it's not used as a signal.

The only surefire one is HH because that's blatant and explicit.

Power of Sparda if you can chime in if you also know more signals then that would be tremendous! Mainly because I feel like you would know more about hate symbols for no reason lol.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing..... Since it's so widely used as a birth year, etc., nobody bats an eye. It's really just something you observe and learn.

Another thing that they have co-opted is clowns for some odd reason. If you hear anything like, "honk honk!"..... You already know what it is. If they're feeling frisky they would go, "honkler!" Remember that HH is Heil Hitler. Honk honk is just a longer version of HH. Do not ask me why they decided to co-opt clowns because I don't know how they act or think.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds so goddamn ridiculous I almost think you're making all this stuff up

I didn't know until recently myself. All of this sounds like some conspiracy shit but.... It's not. The Alt-Right/Salt-Right, Neo-Nazis are winning the "meme" game. To them all of those symbols are just memes to them. Nothing more nothing less. If YOU think they're being used for Nazism or White Supremacy then YOU'RE the real Nazi/White Supremacist (or something like that). Not enough people care about it and that's how they've co-opted these symbols and images.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of anything else besides the ok gesture, but the whole point is to identify yourself as part of the ingroup, which is why it can seem ridiculous if you're not familiar with the culture. It's a dog whistle. However, it's also contextual and leads into discussions about white supremacy and how everything is seen through a white supremacist lens.

For example, 88 is good luck to us, but that doesn't mean that people wouldn't ascribe nazism to it. It's just another way for our culture to be erased because of white supremacy without being directly attacked.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
You guys letting them own those things are the first step to letting them win.

I honestly don't give a damn if I offend someone for something my culture have used positively for over a milenium. If I get banned for it then I get banned for it, I don't give a shit about my internet profile so ymmv.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Beats me. I'm actually quite curious as to how the Salt-Right started owning these things and how the Left just let's them take it with little to no force. Besides video games and internet culture that is.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
88 = isn't a good number. 8 = eighth letter of the alphabet. Double it? Heil Hitler.
HH = is another replacement for 88. Since H is 8. HH = Heil Hitler and then 88 is the above.
GG = you would think Good Game! But it's anything but. It's actually Gamer Gate.
WP = some racists use this as "Well Played!" But to people who knows it's actually White Power.

those last two are gonna get really confusing. People only use the GG in conversations about gamer gate.

Part of me has wondered if I could manipulate the alt-right into getting things that I don't like condemned. Like infiltrating a white supremacist forum and getting them all really into mumble rap. Or the Loss meme

Dec 24, 2017
Nothing triggers Blue Lives Matters 3% Sheepdog Oathkeeper Punisher Logo's like an Asian at the Range with an AK-47 and Planned Parenthood T-shirt.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
its all about context and reading context for the white power shit is almost always super easy because dumbshit neonazis think if you drape a towel over racism it conceals it or some shit

the hard stuff is reading into structural stuff because that's the stuff that is way more easily disguised by other shitty motivations like profit motive or whatever

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
So I've kinda 180'd on Cinemax's Warrior. Binged watched it to the end and it's pretty good.. Solid characters and a great setup for season 2

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
You guys letting them own those things are the first step to letting them win.

I honestly don't give a damn if I offend someone for something my culture have used positively for over a milenium. If I get banned for it then I get banned for it, I don't give a shit about my internet profile so ymmv.
Yeah, I guess it's like the modern equivalent of the Nazis stealing the swastika. Asians shouldn't not continue to use it, as long as it's not the Nazi swastika.

People should continue using the OK sign or things like 88 instead of making it the exclusive domain of neo-Nazis and the alt-right. You can usually identify when those types of people use it versus general use anyway.

What is the "salt-right"? Is this a newly emerged flavour of the alt-right that I'm not aware of?

So I've kinda 180'd on Cinemax's Warrior. Binged watched it to the end and it's pretty good.. Solid characters and a great setup for season 2
I've only seen the first two eps and it's been ok, but I feel like all these adult shows need frequent, gratuitous sex scenes just because they're obligatory for adult shows now rather than adding any substance to the story?

Last edited:

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I guess it's like the modern equivalent of the Nazis stealing the swastika. Asians shouldn't not continue to use it, as long as it's not the Nazi swastika.

People should continue using the OK sign or things like 88 instead of making it the exclusive domain of neo-Nazis and the alt-right. You can usually identify when those types of people use it versus general use anyway.

What is the "salt-right"? Is this a newly emerged flavour of the alt-right that I'm not aware of?

I've only seen the first two eps and it's been ok, but I feel like all these adult shows need frequent, gratuitous sex scenes just because they're obligatory for adult shows now rather than adding any substance to the story?

They really go away from that in the later episodes. I agree that it doesn't really add anything but it's catering directing to the channel's audience base from what I've heard.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.... Those challenges are too much for me, lol. My friends and family always joke about it but then the noodles will be ruined so it's not worth it to order one.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Also I don't think I said this yet but SMH at those two Asian chicks that were streaming and being racist towards a black guy. Like, yeah, if someone sounded pissed on the phone I'd probably walk a little faster away from them, but what they did is... clearly not just general caution, but specific bigotry. -___-

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you're mentally mature enough to go directly to postgraduate study, I think it makes sense to do so.

I say that from the perspective of someone who went directly to postgraduate study without having the necessary maturity to explore and engage in research. (I did get my Master's, but it was just a piece of paper.)
I don't think either of those have to do with mental maturity, just dedication

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i don't think the art is that creepy its the people in the thread arguing that people being uncomfortable about the whole thing are just hypersensitive thats really getting my goat

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
i don't think the art is that creepy its the people in the thread arguing that people being uncomfortable about the whole thing are just hypersensitive thats really getting my goat

But if you don't find the art creepy then why are you uncomfortable with it?

I get that Asian women are fetishized, particularly Japanese, but I think the thread was started because people found her charming and started drawing cute fan art. Yeah there's gonna be creepy shit (it's the internet), but none of that was posted in there as far as I could tell.

Then people come in with the whole "this is creepy" thing, and I fail to see what's creepy it tbh.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
you dont think the i want to protecc this precious lady stuff is weird at all?

like obviously its a multidimension layered thing because japanese kawaii culture stuff + self branding + her actions on stage in nervousness or otherwise so I'm not here arguing that its unambiguously a creepy situation but all I can say is my reaction to the reaction is that I find a lot of it has the same shape and feeling as people seeing asian women in professional settings and latch onto 'cuteness' or 'adorableness'

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I got the "protect Asian lady" vibe waaaaaaaaaay more from the people who were arguing that it's problematic.

Anyways maybe it's because I'm Japanese, but that's shit's normal as fuck to me.

People draw cute little pictures like that of everyone. Friends, teachers, celebs, athletes, cats, etc.

Nothing creepy about it.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got the "protect Asian lady" vibe waaaaaaaaaay more from the people who were arguing that it's problematic.

Anyways maybe it's because I'm Japanese, but that's shit's normal as fuck to me.

People draw cute little pictures like that of everyone. Friends, teachers, celebs, athletes, cats, etc.

Nothing creepy about it.

Context, bro. It's white nerds objectifying an Asian woman like she's some delicate trinket to collect.

Amy Chua continues to be a disgrace.

That is all.
Shit doesn't fall far from the asshole. The daughter is a piece of work that probably internalized a shit load of self hate as both a woman and PoC from her mom.

Dec 24, 2017
What did she do now?

Her Brett Kavanuagh Defense Force commandering got her daughter a clerkship with him.

In "my eyes nearly rolled out of my head" today news, I rec'd unsolicited criticism today about my tattoo and how I should be mad at my tattoo artist because the kimono on the lady tattooed on my arm isn't at all accurate.

"It isn't a kimono you weeb trash motherfucker." was the only comeback I could muster at the time.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Her Brett Kavanuagh Defense Force commandering got her daughter a clerkship with him.

In "my eyes nearly rolled out of my head" today news, I rec'd unsolicited criticism today about my tattoo and how I should be mad at my tattoo artist because the kimono on the lady tattooed on my arm isn't at all accurate.

"It isn't a kimono you weeb trash motherfucker." was the only comeback I could muster at the time.
She pretty much got her daughter a gig as Supreme Court Justice Kavanaugh's clerk.

Hasn't this been known for a while? She was always a piece of shit.