• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

It might sound strange, but an Asian-American lead character playing a low achiever might just be what our community needs right now. The story of Asians in America is happy one at first glance — as the nation's fastest growing racial group, we're seen as educated "model minority" citizens who have earned society's respect. But Asian American achievement often faces backlash.

Princeton psychologist Susan Fiske has found that people evaluate groups along two primary dimensions: warmth (friendly, trustworthy) and competence (capable, effective). Numerous surveys have found that white Americans generally receive high marks for both warmth and competence, while black and Latinx Americans are seen as less competent and get mixed results on warmth, both depending on factors like income and profession. Meanwhile, Asians and Jewish people are seen in these surveys as highly competent but colder, less friendly and maybe untrustworthy. These stereotypes can lead to feelings of envy, an ambivalent emotion that Fiske says is a mix of both admiration and resentment.
Fully developed depictions of Asian Americans are rare and increasingly important — as an envied outside group, Asian Americans are in "a dangerous place," Fiske told me. While people might generally cooperate with us because we're useful, in times of perceived competition for scarce resources, we can face "attack and sabotage."
These biases follow us into the workplace. A 2016 study looking at 106,000 Silicon Valley tech workers found that among professionals, Asian Americans make up the largest racial cohort. But once employed, we were the least likely among all races to get promoted to be managers or executives.

My research on Asian American men has found that we're more likely to be recognized for working hard or our technical skills than for being creative or our leadership ability. We're hired for our competence, but can't seem to ascend.
I don't think this is news to anyone in this thread, but I like the premise.

Do you think it's worth a cross post in the main forum?

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Fuck yes!

Do it!

It'll be "interesting" to see how they hardware away concerns about us being targeted like so many Jews were/are....

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I have been there once. To eat at Hanbun.

These seemed to be a decent amount of Koreans there in Westmont

Yeah it's decent. Two of the houses we toured were Koreans. There's a big Taiwanese population out there too.

Unfortunately since Hanbun closed, there ain't too much in terms of Korean food out there now. There's I think one general restaurant I haven't tried, and I think they just opened a So Gong Dong in Oak Brook but otherwise there ain't too much.

Wife and I went to Jeong (Park's new restaurant after Hanbun) which was great.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
My IVF is this weekend (tomorrow), so I'll be recovering from surgery.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
My IVF is this weekend (tomorrow), so I'll be recovering from surgery.

Didn't know you had surgery. Get well soon.

On another note, I had a weird dream about Asian ERA last night.

I dreamt I was at a fancy resort. There was like a festival or something. I hear about Asian ERA having a meet up here arranged by Pet. However, people are grumbling because she chose for us all to meet up at a gas station. I end up going around trying to find everyone.

Dec 24, 2017

I dreamt I was at a fancy resort. There was like a festival or something. I hear about Asian ERA having a meet up here arranged by Pet. However, people are grumbling because she chose for us all to meet up at a gas station. I end up going around trying to find everyone.

How was the food situation at the gas station?

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
So we live in the suburbs and there isn't much Asian food near us unless we go all the way to Chinatown. But yesterday we're out shopping and I see someone with boba. I'm like "is there boba near here" and Google it, and there is, about a 10 minute drive. I Street View the area and find out it's next to an authentic Chinese restaurant.

So we head over and have a great Northern Chinese meal followed by boba. It's going to be our new hangout.

Dec 24, 2017
So we live in the suburbs and there isn't much Asian food near us unless we go all the way to Chinatown. But yesterday we're out shopping and I see someone with boba. I'm like "is there boba near here" and Google it, and there is, about a 10 minute drive. I Street View the area and find out it's next to an authentic Chinese restaurant.

So we head over and have a great Northern Chinese meal followed by boba. It's going to be our new hangout.

That's so cool that you found a place like that near you.

Chicago is getting to the point where if there is a low key awesome ethnic food place, at one point, it'll show up in a blog and then it all of the sudden an hour wait.

RIP fast seating at Qing Xiang Yuan Dumplings

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Oh my god I read this and laughed so hard that I think my ribs are busted.

Good luck with everything!
Good luck and speedy recovery!
Good luck! Here's hoping everything goes perfectly!

Thank you all! I'm alive, so I'm happy about that. I did spend Saturday in the ER because APPARENTLY I'm allergic to codeine and it causes my throat and face to swell and for me to pass out so... uh, I saw the inside of an ambulance for the first time. All I could think about was, shit does my insurance cover this/how much is this going to cost me, but...well, I guess being alive is cool.

So, in short - IVF went well, and we actually have 23 (!!!!) fertilized embryos. The part that was supposed to be easier, the recovery... well, didn't go as well. Who knew.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you all! I'm alive, so I'm happy about that. I did spend Saturday in the ER because APPARENTLY I'm allergic to codeine and it causes my throat and face to swell and for me to pass out so... uh, I saw the inside of an ambulance for the first time. All I could think about was, shit does my insurance cover this/how much is this going to cost me, but...well, I guess being alive is cool.

So, in short - IVF went well, and we actually have 23 (!!!!) fertilized embryos. The part that was supposed to be easier, the recovery... well, didn't go as well. Who knew.
No purple drank for you I guess.

Glad you're alright

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Hahaha TPR had the right idea. Apparently only 25% of fertilized embryos will because viable for potentially becoming babies (the rest will stop growing/be abnormal), and you don't always get pregnant with the first or second or third embryo...so likely I'm only going to have a few chances for a kid even with 23 embryos.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Hahaha TPR had the right idea. Apparently only 25% of fertilized embryos will because viable for potentially becoming babies (the rest will stop growing/be abnormal), and you don't always get pregnant with the first or second or third embryo...so likely I'm only going to have a few chances for a kid even with 23 embryos.

Makes sense when you put it that way. From a guy's perspective, a single drop of sperm is enough to get any girl pregnant so it makes pregnancy seem like a really simple thing.

The reality is, you will always get pregnant when you don't want to. You can wear 3 condoms and staple your urethra shut while being on the pill and still get pregnant. But when you want to get pregnant, you can swim in a bath tub full of sperm while tracking your ovulation and still no baby.

Dec 24, 2017
What's the weirdest gift you have gotten someone? It can have an appropriate context, but on spec it's just an odd thing.

I'm asking because I'm about to give a girl a humongous non-chef's knife.

Also, I can't get the mental image of Meph standing over a petrified dish, muttering, I can do better than 70% and unbuckling his pants out of my head. Oh, you have it now too?

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017

Glad everything turned out okay

Dec 24, 2017

I think this issue exposes the non-homogenous nature of political thought in the AsAm community. I know lots of communities are probably fine with everything going on to Latinx folks, including the concentration camps, and don't think immigration is an issue they need to care about until ICE is at their door, or their relatives door.

I have an a lot of conflict and anger about this.

The Asian diaspora in this country needs to have a conversation about its bias against other groups.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is that the Vietnamese, Khmer, and Hmong communities have been experiencing deportations too, but are kinda ignored unless you know someone that's actually facing deportation.

The Asian diaspora is still mentally colonized for the most part.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what they do if by some freak chances all 23 were viable and you have 23-tuplets

Congrats!

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They're all still in dishes, not transferred/implanted, so it's not like they put all 23 in for a battle royale hoping that one absorbs the powers of all others like I asked the doctor to do.