• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
What kind of food are you looking for? Vancouver has a lot of good options.
I live in Vancouver.

But I'm not a foodie, so unfortunately I can't be of much help to you.

Thanks to both of ya. Lone_Prodigy I'm mostly interested in local delicacies, something you can't find quite as good elsewhere. So, I think seafood is on the list. I'm also interested into dipping into Richmond so decent recs there would be appreciated.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to both of ya. Lone_Prodigy I'm mostly interested in local delicacies, something you can't find quite as good elsewhere. So, I think seafood is on the list. I'm also interested into dipping into Richmond so decent recs there would be appreciated.

I'm not a foodie either but there are a lot of fancier restaurants that do the whole local thing, like $20 for a sampler size plate. A local website called the Georgia Straight hands out Golden Plates awards every year. They're reader submitted so a popularity contest but they'll mention some new and hip places.

Richmond has great Chinese food but you can find that all around the city nowadays. I wouldn't go out of the way unless you were already in the area. Steveston (by the water) has good seafood though.

In terms of unique cuisine, Phnom Penh (not the city, Cambodian and Vietnamese) is very popular. I like Jam Cafe and Yolks for brunch but expect to stand in line. Lots of great ramen and sushi.

Oh definitely check out the Richmond Night Market. It's getting to be a tourist trap (you can find similar food without the upcharge in Richmond) but if you've never been to Asia it's decent.

Let me know the area you're staying in and I can give some suggestions.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's not a reportable offense, meph

Sure it is. It's not enforced, but mods should be held to a higher standard. Is reading the OP when it contains the answers to the question being asked really that tall of an order?

General Guide to ResetEra: Posting Guidelines said:
Read the Thread Before Replying

When you enter a thread please ensure that you have read beyond the title before you respond. The absolute minimum effort you should put in is to read the original post (OP) in its entirety, along with any threadmarks or staff posts. Asking questions that have already been answered in the OP or threadmarks adds nothing to a discussion. If it is clear that you have not read the thread and missed important information that was appropriately highlighted, you may be subject to moderation.

It's also why I should never be a mod, because every thread would be a graveyard thread.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure it is. It's not enforced, but mods should be held to a higher standard. Is reading the OP when it contains the answers to the question being asked really that tall of an order?

It's also why I should never be a mod, because every thread would be a graveyard thread.
If that rule was that harshly enforced there'd be no one left

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would be beautiful.
Whatever you say Mr Clean
lk0k22y4isc11.jpg

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I'm not a foodie either but there are a lot of fancier restaurants that do the whole local thing, like $20 for a sampler size plate. A local website called the Georgia Straight hands out Golden Plates awards every year. They're reader submitted so a popularity contest but they'll mention some new and hip places.

Richmond has great Chinese food but you can find that all around the city nowadays. I wouldn't go out of the way unless you were already in the area. Steveston (by the water) has good seafood though.

In terms of unique cuisine, Phnom Penh (not the city, Cambodian and Vietnamese) is very popular. I like Jam Cafe and Yolks for brunch but expect to stand in line. Lots of great ramen and sushi.

Oh definitely check out the Richmond Night Market. It's getting to be a tourist trap (you can find similar food without the upcharge in Richmond) but if you've never been to Asia it's decent.

Let me know the area you're staying in and I can give some suggestions.

Sounds good. We are staying in the Granview-Woodland area but I don't mind travelling for good food. The first day we are def gonna be in tourist land, by the park and the acquarium, after that I suppose it's more debatable. I guess without ride sharing services it's harder to get around? Maybe I should look into a car.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all may remember DJ Babyboi..... He came to Minneapolis for the Hmong Soccer Tournament (which is just a sports tournament) and I'm really disappointed with how mainstream his set is. He barely dropped his classic songs and played a bunch of trap, dubstep, and electro house.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good. We are staying in the Granview-Woodland area but I don't mind travelling for good food. The first day we are def gonna be in tourist land, by the park and the acquarium, after that I suppose it's more debatable. I guess without ride sharing services it's harder to get around? Maybe I should look into a car.

There are taxis everywhere, but when I went I was fine the public transport. Granted I didn't go up to Stanley Park, but took a shuttle to Capilano.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I reported a mod post once for being a lazy ass asking a question that was answered in the first five lines of the OP. Pretty sure nothing happened.

My many years at GAF/NeoGAF trained me well - I have/had very very very low expectations of results from the mods, so I only report posts that are clear in their anti-Asian bullshit.

So far I am batting 100% in terms of mods taking action on posts I report.

At GAF/NeoGAF it was 0%

Dec 24, 2017
I've never been stared at by Asian people as much as walking into as dim sum place with a tall red headed white woman. But then it was trumped by Asian people watching a ginger go to town on chicken feet.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017

Public transit within Vancouver and major arteries is pretty good. The SkyTrain (elevated light rail) stops downtown and at malls, and one line runs between the airport and downtown. Parking is limited and expensive so stick to the bus. You could rent bikes as well; the cycling infrastructure is quite good. There's a decent car sharing service but I don't know how tourist friendly they are.

In that area... Chinatown isn't that far so take a stroll through there. Commercial Drive has some good Italian restaurants. Lots of options if you go down Kingsway as well.

I don't drink but the local craft brew scene is large and popular. Biercraft should be close by.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
So, does it ever stop? I know we don't look like a conventional pairing. I'm a taller tattooed Asian guy with a taller redhead. But I really never considered us a "point us out to other people you're with."

I can only speak from my perspective but redheads get a fair amount of attention to begin with, even in a non-Asian setting. Compound that with an unusual height difference, AM/WF pairing and yeah, people will give you looks from time to time. Worst time I ever had was making a pit stop when driving through central Missouri, we stopped at this place and I was the only non-white dude there, it was really really awkward. More on topic though, sometimes we'll go to very traditional Japanese restaurants though, and, yea, she'll definitely stand out when I'm there with my 3 Japanese cousins even though they have/have had white boyfriends. When we reserve a tatami room people are shocked that she knows how to behave herself (i.e. sit and eat correctly...). You often see parents pointing her out to kids, like "see how she behaves, and she isn't even Japanese!"

Public transit within Vancouver and major arteries is pretty good. The SkyTrain (elevated light rail) stops downtown and at malls, and one line runs between the airport and downtown. Parking is limited and expensive so stick to the bus. You could rent bikes as well; the cycling infrastructure is quite good. There's a decent car sharing service but I don't know how tourist friendly they are.

In that area... Chinatown isn't that far so take a stroll through there. Commercial Drive has some good Italian restaurants. Lots of options if you go down Kingsway as well.

I don't drink but the local craft brew scene is large and popular. Biercraft should be close by.

Thank you! I don't drink either unfortunately. But we will def check out Chinatown and Commercial Drive. I'm still hoping to get by on the SkyTrain mostly, we are staying really close to a stop, but I don't mind taking a taxi if necessary. I think the hatchery we are interested in is kinda off the beaten path unless you take the shuttle to some famous rope bridge, but I've heard that's kinda tourist trappy so I'm wary of being obligated to pay for some sky bridge that isn't all that cool.

Dec 24, 2017
I can only speak from my perspective but redheads get a fair amount of attention to begin with, even in a non-Asian setting. Compound that with an unusual height difference, AM/WF pairing and yeah, people will give you looks from time to time. Worst time I ever had was making a pit stop when driving through central Missouri, we stopped at this place and I was the only non-white dude there, it was really really awkward. More on topic though, sometimes we'll go to very traditional Japanese restaurants though, and, yea, she'll definitely stand out when I'm there with my 3 Japanese cousins even though they have/have had white boyfriends. When we reserve a tatami room people are shocked that she knows how to behave herself (i.e. sit and eat correctly...). You often see parents pointing her out to kids, like "see how she behaves, and she isn't even Japanese!"

Yeah, I decided to double down on how much people were staring and gave her a survival knife at the table. We're taking a 4 day bushcraft/survival course. So, as I presented her this huge box and people were gasping a little, then she brought out a foot long murder knife, and unsheathed it. More gasps.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! I don't drink either unfortunately. But we will def check out Chinatown and Commercial Drive. I'm still hoping to get by on the SkyTrain mostly, we are staying really close to a stop, but I don't mind taking a taxi if necessary. I think the hatchery we are interested in is kinda off the beaten path unless you take the shuttle to some famous rope bridge, but I've heard that's kinda tourist trappy so I'm wary of being obligated to pay for some sky bridge that isn't all that cool.

The Capilano hatchery? I've never been but admission is free and it is somewhat accessible by transit. Yes the suspension bridge is a tourist trap but it is a neat experience.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
The Capilano hatchery? I've never been but admission is free and it is somewhat accessible by transit. Yes the suspension bridge is a tourist trap but it is a neat experience.

Yea. As you can see, we have fish on the brain, so I'm really interested in the hatchery. The suspension bridge is less important to me, I don't mind going places that are just for looks but if it's crowded then even that kinda gets ruined. But a nice relaxing stroll and then a pit stop to see salmon swim upstream sounds like a ton of fun to me.

Dec 24, 2017
If you think being around vape enthusiasts and their sick clouds, brah is annoying. Try having to sue a vape retailer owned by vape enthusiasts. I swear this dude is trying to be his own attorney with the assistance of Google and I keep begging him to get a real attorney.

Hopefully in about 23 minutes when he sees that the county has shut down his store, he will get one to call me.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Yea. As you can see, we have fish on the brain, so I'm really interested in the hatchery. The suspension bridge is less important to me, I don't mind going places that are just for looks but if it's crowded then even that kinda gets ruined. But a nice relaxing stroll and then a pit stop to see salmon swim upstream sounds like a ton of fun to me.

When I went to the suspension bridge it wasn't that bad and it was pretty neat as they also have treewalks and stuff on the other side of the bridge.

However I will note that I went on a Thursday night in late November/early December.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Supposed to be going to a dumpling place in Arcadia for a friend's birthday soon

hermit

Oct 25, 2017
how the hell do people deal with hour long commute for years without killing themselves. i've only been doing it for a few days and i'm gonna do it real soon

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
how the hell do people deal with hour long commute for years without killing themselves. i've only been doing it for a few days and i'm gonna do it real soon

lol i was doing an hour commute to school and then to uni from the beginning of high school, so i'm used to it. won't say it's not relaxing to be able to walk to work now though.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I do about an hour door to door and I don't mind it at that much. I think it just hits people differently. I would hate it if I drove though, I think that's correct. But being on BART (even though BART is terrible) doesn't really bother me that much.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I got used to it. In fact, after I shortened my commute, I had to dump a bunch of podcasts that I no longer had time for.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah driving for hours bad. public transport good, at least where i am

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Carpooling.

I do about an hour door to door and I don't mind it at that much. I think it just hits people differently. I would hate it if I drove though, I think that's correct. But being on BART (even though BART is terrible) doesn't really bother me that much.

How is BART outside of SF proper, in the east bay area? Mostly curious about Oakland to Berkeley and those lines.

I got used to it. In fact, after I shortened my commute, I had to dump a bunch of podcasts that I no longer had time for.

This. I don't listen to podcasts at home, but when I used to carpool for a 1.5 hour commute, I'd listen to podcasts during my turn to drive.

At this point I've dropped all of them.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
How is BART outside of SF proper, in the east bay area? Mostly curious about Oakland to Berkeley and those lines.

In terms of quality -- it's totally fine. You'll be taking the Red line or the Orange line if you're headed to Berkeley from Oakland and generally speaking a far amount of people clear out at Oakland so it'll never be super crowded. On the way back, you'll always get a seat too unless it's really peak hours, in which case you'll stand, but the trip takes 15-20 minutes max (the BART part). Campus is a 5 minute walk from the station, but depending on where you have to get on campus it can take up to 30 minutes walking when you get on campus. Luckily during the year there are shuttles that will stop near the BART station. Those shuttles are free to students.

I'd say the only complaints are that BART doesn't have nearly as many stops as it should considering it's usage, which applies everywhere (even in SF). Secondly, BART does shut down at like 1 AM or something, so if you have to stay really late on campus then you need to find an alternate. After 8 PM service is pretty sporadic too, but the longest you'll wait is 20 minutes or so. So, make sure to time your trips a bit if possible.

I mean aside from that BART is kinda grimy, but I mean, it's public transit in the United States.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
In terms of quality -- it's totally fine. You'll be taking the Red line or the Orange line if you're headed to Berkeley from Oakland and generally speaking a far amount of people clear out at Oakland so it'll never be super crowded. On the way back, you'll always get a seat too unless it's really peak hours, in which case you'll stand, but the trip takes 15-20 minutes max (the BART part). Campus is a 5 minute walk from the station, but depending on where you have to get on campus it can take up to 30 minutes walking when you get on campus. Luckily during the year there are shuttles that will stop near the BART station. Those shuttles are free to students.

I'd say the only complaints are that BART doesn't have nearly as many stops as it should considering it's usage, which applies everywhere (even in SF). Secondly, BART does shut down at like 1 AM or something, so if you have to stay really late on campus then you need to find an alternate. After 8 PM service is pretty sporadic too, but the longest you'll wait is 20 minutes or so. So, make sure to time your trips a bit if possible.

That's good to hear. Might have to expand my search for off-campus housing as word is getting out that housing may not be guaranteed.

I mean aside from that BART is kinda grimy, but I mean, it's public transit in the United States.

It's nothing close to Tokyo's, but I found NYC's subway acceptable.