• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 24, 2017
In terms of quality -- it's totally fine. You'll be taking the Red line or the Orange line if you're headed to Berkeley from Oakland and generally speaking a far amount of people clear out at Oakland so it'll never be super crowded. On the way back, you'll always get a seat too unless it's really peak hours, in which case you'll stand, but the trip takes 15-20 minutes max (the BART part). Campus is a 5 minute walk from the station, but depending on where you have to get on campus it can take up to 30 minutes walking when you get on campus. Luckily during the year there are shuttles that will stop near the BART station. Those shuttles are free to students.

I'd say the only complaints are that BART doesn't have nearly as many stops as it should considering it's usage, which applies everywhere (even in SF). Secondly, BART does shut down at like 1 AM or something, so if you have to stay really late on campus then you need to find an alternate. After 8 PM service is pretty sporadic too, but the longest you'll wait is 20 minutes or so. So, make sure to time your trips a bit if possible.

I mean aside from that BART is kinda grimy, but I mean, it's public transit in the United States.

I dunno man. BART is uniquely not great over other mass transit systems. And I think that's because of how much distance BART has to cover, and not having the funding to keep up with growth and capital investment. That's not BART's fault, that's just someone doing some poor urban planning and BART not getting the money it needs to adequately serve its customers.

Chicago has its problems. But, that trains are in better shape than most US cities I've been to. CTA's issue mostly have to deal with being very hard to put in new stops anywhere without making major adjustments to the city. The big north/south line is expanding here and the city had to eminent domain 2 city blocks in a busy area of town.

NYC. I think it's far more comprehensive of a mass transit service than any place I've been. But, it is also the most down shit heap of public transit I've ever seen.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I dunno man. BART is uniquely not great over other mass transit systems. And I think that's because of how much distance BART has to cover, and not having the funding to keep up with growth and capital investment. That's not BART's fault, that's just someone doing some poor urban planning and BART not getting the money it needs to adequately serve its customers.

Chicago has its problems. But, that trains are in better shape than most US cities I've been to. CTA's issue mostly have to deal with being very hard to put in new stops anywhere without making major adjustments to the city. The big north/south line is expanding here and the city had to eminent domain 2 city blocks in a busy area of town.

NYC. I think it's far more comprehensive of a mass transit service than any place I've been. But, it is also the most down shit heap of public transit I've ever seen.

I agree for sure that Chicago, NYC, Boston, and DC have better transit systems than SF does by far. But BART is adequate for his needs and I think ok in general, probably on the 2nd tier of transit in the United States. Which doesn't say a lot for sure, but I guess I'd say things could be way worse. And if you're traveling along those corridors, BART is actually pretty good as it is pretty fast and mostly reliable. When there is no traffic, BART is about as fast as a car taking into account parking, and when there is BART is a good deal faster. It's actually one of the reasons why I live where I live, I wanted to be within walking distance to BART so I could avoid using my car all the time.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
My mind was blown the first time I heard him without an accent. Ironically, it was one of those B&W TV shows from near the start of his career.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
how the hell do people deal with hour long commute for years without killing themselves. i've only been doing it for a few days and i'm gonna do it real soon
I used to travel an hour 20 each way for high school and then a bit over an hour each way for uni. Currently, it's 40 minutes to work but I get to relax on the train at least since I travel in the opposite direction as everyone else during rush hour.

Driving though, that would literally drive me mad if I had to do it for that amount of time in traffic every day.

ya'll would hate this bullshit a lot more if you had to drive through it
Oh... I think that's your problem right there.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I think I find driving for an hour a lot more tolerable than an hour in public transportation. I enjoy having the time to myself.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Personally, I think I find driving for an hour a lot more tolerable than an hour in public transportation. I enjoy having the time to myself.

For weekend trips or an every-now-and-then thing, I'd agree, but I can't imagine having to stay focused on utter tedium for over an hour twice a day, five days a week, fifty weeks a year.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you driving for Uber/Lyft?
I work in an office. Staying focused on utter tedium is the name of the game.

I couldn't Uber/Lyft. I work in that office specifically to avoid having to interact with the public as my job. I don't mind interacting with clients or coworkers but public customer service environments tend to drive me up the wall. That's what happens when you work retail first, I guess.

Last edited:

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I work in an office. Staying focused on utter tedium is the name of the game.

I couldn't Uber/Lyft. I work in that office specifically to avoid having to interact with the public as my job. I don't mind interacting with clients or coworkers but public customer service environments tend to drive me up the wall. That's what happens when you work retail first, I guess.

Oh, I thought that was specifically referring to the driving. Sure, office work is still dealing with long periods of tedium punctuated rarely by real work, but you can find distractions or diversions to kill time. You can't do that to nearly the same degree when driving, which requires a certain degree of attention/focus specifically to the tedium, which is what makes long repetitive commutes so unbearable.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oh, I thought that was specifically referring to the driving. Sure, office work is still dealing with long periods of tedium punctuated rarely by real work, but you can find distractions or diversions to kill time. You can't do that to nearly the same degree when driving, which requires a certain degree of attention/focus specifically to the tedium, which is what makes long repetitive commutes so unbearable.

This is why you drive the way you drive >=o.

Our favorite restaurant is finally closing! Technically:

Like, what did they expect? Fucking dumb move trying to open such a restaurant.

Hahahahhahahahahahahagahhahahagahagahahahagahahha good riddance.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Random thought. There should be a word for when you forget your password temporarily, then you remember it immediately after you've typed it in wrong 2 or 3 times. I know that's kinda specific but I'm sure it happens often enough to most of us that we should be able to collectively describe the experience without typing it out.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Random thought. There should be a word for when you forget your password temporarily, then you remember it immediately after you've typed it in wrong 2 or 3 times. I know that's kinda specific but I'm sure it happens often enough to most of us that we should be able to collectively describe the experience without typing it out.

we could probably make a german compound word for it

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I have never encountered that situation.

If my browser doesn't autofill it correctly and I'm not already logged in, that password is getting reset. I have too many things that require passwords to remember any of them at any time.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Hello all, reporting in from Kansas City, MO.

I am not quite dead yet, but how the fuck is it so hot?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hello all, reporting in from Kansas City, MO.

I am not quite dead yet, but how the fuck is it so hot?
But why Missouri?

+_a9ecfeb0eb3519bbf90082bfff769fc2.jpg

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the Farewell, I liked it. It wasn't particularly groundbreaking nor profound but it didn't need to be. There may be more depth to it that I'm missing but I enjoyed it for what it was, a straight forward family drama that had little trouble flexing from pathos to humour.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'll be finding out in a few weeks. Going to Austin for a friend's bachelor party.

If you want to do Frankin's, don't wait in line and order in advance online. If I remember correctly, they open online orders at the beginning of each month, so do it that way and save yourself an entire day of grief (and heat). LA Barbecue was pretty bleh, so skip that. It's not worth the wait. The Salt Lick is more of an old stalwart than something that can compete with the new crop of great purveyors, but they do offer an all-you-can-eat option in their main dining room. It's been YEARS since I've been there, so I can't speak for its current pricing or quality.

Instead, if you have some time to kill you really should make the short 30-45 minute drive out to Lockhart. There are three big-name barbecue spots there: Kreuz, Black's, and Smitty's. To this day I have not been able to eat at Kreuz, because they're closed on Sundays, so I can't comment on them. I've given Smitty's more than a fair shot more than once, but it's just not as good as Black's. Go to Black's, and make sure you ask for the fatty part of the brisket, from the cap. Apparently Kansas City style dices up this entire portion as their burnt ends, but in Texas it's part of the whole brisket, so you have to ask for it directly. And get the beef rib. It's more expensive at around $20-25 for a single rib, but it's the greatest thing on their menu and the best barbecue you can eat. Everything else is good too, but those two choices are king.

If you're wandering around Texas as part of the trip then there's plenty of other barbecue places all around the state.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to do Frankin's, don't wait in line and order in advance online. If I remember correctly, they open online orders at the beginning of each month, so do it that way and save yourself an entire day of grief (and heat).

It's fully online now, and they're booked for weeks.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to do Frankin's, don't wait in line and order in advance online. If I remember correctly, they open online orders at the beginning of each month, so do it that way and save yourself an entire day of grief (and heat). LA Barbecue was pretty bleh, so skip that. It's not worth the wait. The Salt Lick is more of an old stalwart than something that can compete with the new crop of great purveyors, but they do offer an all-you-can-eat option in their main dining room. It's been YEARS since I've been there, so I can't speak for its current pricing or quality.

Instead, if you have some time to kill you really should make the short 30-45 minute drive out to Lockhart. There are three big-name barbecue spots there: Kreuz, Black's, and Smitty's. To this day I have not been able to eat at Kreuz, because they're closed on Sundays, so I can't comment on them. I've given Smitty's more than a fair shot more than once, but it's just not as good as Black's. Go to Black's, and make sure you ask for the fatty part of the brisket, from the cap. Apparently Kansas City style dices up this entire portion as their burnt ends, but in Texas it's part of the whole brisket, so you have to ask for it directly. And get the beef rib. It's more expensive at around $20-25 for a single rib, but it's the greatest thing on their menu and the best barbecue you can eat. Everything else is good too, but those two choices are king.

If you're wandering around Texas as part of the trip then there's plenty of other barbecue places all around the state.
Word, thanks for the tips. I don't think we're gonna be leaving the town too much (only there for 2 days) but I'll pass this along.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
LTTP, but I saw The Farewell this week and enjoyed it. I think the article got it right when it doesn't try to gussy itself up to conform to something that it's not and that is a big strength of the film. It was sold out too, so I guess it found an audience.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does Awkwafina hold her chopsticks oddly, like too close to the points? It stood out to me in the eating scenes.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
yall I fell down the Fire Emblem rabbit hole. The new Switch game is just too damned good. I'm gonna be MIA from all my other hangouts for a hot minute.

@cdyhybrid I live in Austin so lemme know if you got questions.

source.gif

probably not what Zoe meant :P

At least she doesn't hold them like a white girl like two pencils right at the tip.
Any general recommendations would be great. Gonna be in town Thursday night-Sunday morning, 6 of us. Anything eating/drinking/nightlife-related is on the table. Maybe a strip club if that's not going to be a pain.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Well no pics until the movie hits the internet :P

Maybe it was just exaggerated cause they were the longer kind, but it seemed like everyone else was holding them higher up.