• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hermit

Oct 25, 2017
anyone here in software development? I want to learn programming but I have a degree in humanities. just wondering if I would be wasting my time if no companies will hire me anyway

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anyone here in software development? I want to learn programming but I have a degree in humanities. just wondering if I would be wasting my time if no companies will hire me anyway
If you have skills and a portfolio of projects, your humanities degree isn't a hindrance. The fact that you have a degree will actually help as opposed to just having skills. My friend has been trying to get me to change careers for a few years and his advice was to find some projects to work on and post it on github.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yo, Bruce Lee would get his ass handed to him by any amateur MMA guy.
It's like many of them refused acknowledge that using an asian icon to prop up a white guy and then present said asian icon as a caricature can be problematic. Many of them are even dismissing the family's concerns. Instead, many of them go off on how he was always a braggart and can't really fight, completely missing the point. A real disappointing display of diet racism.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like many of them refused acknowledge that using an asian icon to prop up a white guy and then present said asian icon as a caricature can be problematic. Many of them are even dismissing the family's concerns. Instead, many of them go off on how he was always a braggart and can't really fight, completely missing the point. A real disappointing display of diet racism.
Totally agree. And that's beside the fact that Lee had to constantly fight against how the world perceived Asian males and orientalist stereotypes. There's actually good reason for Lee to adopt a more aggressive persona, but all that history is lost because some white dork with a foot fetish makes movies that look cool and can do no wrong, despite showing that he's very irresponsible with certain types of subject matter.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That thread is a dumpster fire of posters invalidating concerns of casual racism. It's depressing.

I tried soft-pitching a reevaluation of their biases with the Chuck Norris, Arnold, and Keanu comparisons, but that fell flat since that invited rationalization rather than self-reflection. Disappointing, really.

Despite being used as a prop to show how strong the white lead is, it seems fairly apparent to me that Lee has inflicted lasting trauma to white masculinity for half a century after his death. I take some solace in that.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Totally agree. And that's beside the fact that Lee had to constantly fight against how the world perceived Asian males and orientalist stereotypes. There's actually good reason for Lee to adopt a more aggressive persona, but all that history is lost because some white dork with a foot fetish makes movies that look cool and can do no wrong, despite showing that he's very irresponsible with certain types of subject matter.

Yep. We tried our best but whatever. At least i know who is suspect in that thread.

I tried soft-pitching a reevaluation of their biases with the Chuck Norris, Arnold, and Keanu comparisons, but that fell flat since that invited rationalization rather than self-reflection. Disappointing, really.

Despite being used as a prop to show how strong the white lead is, it seems fairly apparent to me that Lee has inflicted lasting trauma to white masculinity for half a century after his death. I take some solace in that.
Yeah. I saw that. They were doing everything they can do discount Lee. You can see the lack of self reflection working in over drive. White male fragility. It's a powerful motivator.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Uma Thurman come out and reveal Tarantino forced her to do some car crash scene despite safety concerns? I dunno why Era's even giving the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Uma Thurman come out and reveal Tarantino forced her to do some car crash scene despite safety concerns? I dunno why Era's even giving the guy the benefit of the doubt.
But then she came to QT's defense after the article came out and it turned out there was some executive involved as well who wasn't mentioned at all in the article.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
But then she came to QT's defense after the article came out and it turned out there was some executive involved as well who wasn't mentioned at all in the article.

This is what I said in the thread,I haven't quite figured out Tarantino on this matter:

I haven't quite figured out Tarantino with that Bruce Lee scene. I mean, one would think he respects Bruce Lee and Hong Kong cinema with movies like Kill Bill and Reservoir Dogs. Still, this scene didn't feel like he got that.

I'm not sure if there is a commentary on Hollywood's exploitation of Asian cinema, when it also showed a scene of Sharon Tate beating Nancy Kwan using Bruce Lee's choreography, or if it is part of that exploitation. As with Kill Bill, Asian marital arts only works in Hollywood when the white protagonists come out on top, besting Asians along the way.

The movie pays respects to Tate by using actual clips of the real person, but at the same time turns Bruce Lee into a caricature only there to serve Brad Pitt's character.

I haven't really gone back to that thread though, you could tell where it was heading.

hermit

Oct 25, 2017
If you have skills and a portfolio of projects, your humanities degree isn't a hindrance. The fact that you have a degree will actually help as opposed to just having skills. My friend has been trying to get me to change careers for a few years and his advice was to find some projects to work on and post it on github.
that's good to know. I'm an absolute beginner though so it might take me a few years. I might learn SQL first to get my foot in the door

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Tarantino has always been a fucking shady twat circus. But ERA gives him a pass because he made white people look cool through the cultural appropriation found in his movies (see Kill Bill)

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
People dismissing concerns about Bruce Lee's portrayal have never been mocked by people doing a Bruce Lee impersonation in front of your face.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i don't have a lot to add but one bruce lee bio i read (that was far too long) made it sound like hong kong was just full of martial arts school students brawling at all times and that sounded dope, but maybe also orientalist

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I was busy today and only saw the Bruce Lee thread after the lock. It went about as well as I expected to. I'll be honest when I saw the Bruce Lee portion of the trailer, it immediately turned me off to the movie. I await Tarantino's official response.

Here's the scene in question.

Here's a real sparring match from Bruce Lee. All those mannerisms in Bruce's films were theatrics simply used in his films. He never sparred with flying kicks, telegraphed punches and all those noises.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Hello all.

I am home. I lost my phone. I drank more in the past two weeks than the past five years. I missed y'all :)

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a Confederate Flag two weekends ago. All the way down South East of the Twin Cities. Camping with some friends and we were going to do something about it but I'm pretty sure those racist fucks knew that they were surrounded by a bunch of Hmong people who are strapped themselves.

They were quiet for the entire weekend just hiding and that made me so happy. Better hide!

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Some Hmong folks I know need to read that. Then again I'm pretty sure they would read it and not bat an eye because they're enjoying the benefits too much to actually do something about it.

:/

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i've been listening to a podcast called Asian Not Asian and it is one of the fuckin funniest things I've ever listened to. Riotously asian-american as well (which I've mentioned before is 'same but different' enough to Asian-Australianism that I really like it).

Last ep I listened to was called Asian People Be Fuckin' and it was one of the rawest, most god damn hilarious eps of a podcast I've ever heard.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i've been listening to a podcast called Asian Not Asian and it is one of the fuckin funniest things I've ever listened to. Riotously asian-american as well (which I've mentioned before is 'same but different' enough to Asian-Australianism that I really like it).

Last ep I listened to was called Asian People Be Fuckin' and it was one of the rawest, most god damn hilarious eps of a podcast I've ever heard.
Forgot the link, fam

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Anybody with a predominantly white group of friends that have an almost fantasy-like view of some Asian cultures? I mean it is difficult to explain so excuse me if I ramble a bit.

So I live in Japan now and have been for a bit now. I have a Japanese fiance, and of course, we go out and try to do things together whenever we can. It's summer now, so there's a lot of festivals, going to temples, and even going out for fun while wearing yukatas. I love the pictures I am taking here, but I feel weird posting it on my Instagram that mostly my friends back home follow. I get weird questions about what anime or games I like, and some jeers that I am a weeb. I don't even watch anime, and I am not getting married to a girl for the rest of my life to live out some fantasy, I'd marry her no matter her nationality. I guess its frustrating that a lot of white people in America who have a superficial interest or knowledge of Japan have come to view their culture as an exotic amusement park full of activities you must try...

Like no, like anime isn't the only reason to take part in this cultural activities. They're exactly that, cultural activities that are a part of normal life here. These practices happened long before you started watching anime or playing video games. I'm just trying to integrate, appreciate my fiance's culture, and do the things she wants to do with the person she loves. I guess no more sharing things for a while.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
I think I used to have friends like that, but eventually grew out of it.

I'm going to Singapore, Hong Kong, and South Korea in late October and feel like I need to start training my stomach now lol. I need recs for Singapore (although I have like 5 or 6 hawker centres I want to check out) and South Korea. Hong Kong I've been to before so don't need as much food recs for there.

Hopefully the mainland gets its head out of its ass by then but unfortunately I don't think so...Definitely not going to bring any white shirts.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
What's the up and up on Wu Assassins? I'm seeing it being talked about a lot on my Facebook.

Someone in the main forum said that people were saying it's what Iron Fist could've been, and I had almost the same exact thought: that's what Iron Fist should've been, at least in the first season because this show, Wu Assassins, has a first season looking budget to it. I look forward to the second season where things maybe tighten up, because it was kinda all over the place but I enjoyed it overall.

Last edited:

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody with a predominantly white group of friends that have an almost fantasy-like view of some Asian cultures? I mean it is difficult to explain so excuse me if I ramble a bit.

So I live in Japan now and have been for a bit now. I have a Japanese fiance, and of course, we go out and try to do things together whenever we can. It's summer now, so there's a lot of festivals, going to temples, and even going out for fun while wearing yukatas. I love the pictures I am taking here, but I feel weird posting it on my Instagram that mostly my friends back home follow. I get weird questions about what anime or games I like, and some jeers that I am a weeb. I don't even watch anime, and I am not getting married to a girl for the rest of my life to live out some fantasy, I'd marry her no matter her nationality. I guess its frustrating that a lot of white people in America who have a superficial interest or knowledge of Japan have come to view their culture as an exotic amusement park full of activities you must try...

Like no, like anime isn't the only reason to take part in this cultural activities. They're exactly that, cultural activities that are a part of normal life here. These practices happened long before you started watching anime or playing video games. I'm just trying to integrate, appreciate my fiance's culture, and do the things she wants to do with the person she loves. I guess no more sharing things for a while.
Japanophiles ruin everything. They're the reason why I avoid JPN language/culture clubs, exactly because of the objectification and worship you mention.

I've had to explain in other threads that it's not about gatekeeping, but about laying down rules that it's not okay to reduce an entire nation with a rich history and culture down into just pop culture. Japan = anime, video games, and exotic women. Shit triggers me every time.

(I'm ethnically JPN so you get where I'm coming from.)
What's the up and up on Wu Assassins? I'm seeing it being talked about a lot on my Facebook.
It's got a scene where they explain to a shitty white waitress how the railroad workers were abused, and the reason why Chinese and Vietnamese were driven into mostly food service and laundry work... so it's a thumbs-up from me on that alone.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm trying to watch Wu Assassin. It's...a little hard to watch due to some of the acting.

mercviper

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it to see Iko Uwais of Raid fame in action. Overall I gave it a C+ story, B- graphics, A- action. I got a little more than what I expected so I was satisfied. Bonus points for actual Cantonese speakers after listening to Warrior.