• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 21, 2018
I feel attacked. Ha.

I honestly would've liked to have grown up around people like presumably yourself.

Living my life being raised by a dad who is now a Trumper and a mom who is disdainful of latino and blacks at best, and going to parties with extended family or friends of family who are all adults who think the same way has colored my perception of older generation Koreans.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Look at this stupid fucking post:

Yeah, I saw this and rolled my eyes tbh.

I'm Korean, and my parents and every other Korean American I know over the age of about 40 is racist towards other minorities and think like this.

Anecdotal, I know, but I don't think my experience is in the minority.

The part isn't that you're wrong, it's that why the fuck do we have to continually bring up to nonAsians (which most of this forum is) / nonAsian audiences that YES ASIANS ARE SOOO RACIST. I mean, I see white people saying that ALL the time as some justification for being racist against Asians. Every time there is a story about racism against black people or Hispanic people, do we really need to be like, "SEE CONSERVATIVE BLACK PEOPLE/HISPANIC PEOPLE <x>."

I mean, I honestly don't disagree with you that some Asian people are racist and buy into the whole model minority thing. I think that's relevant when the Asian person in question in the OP is super conservative. But, clearly the people involved in the incident were not, and clearly most people in this forum that are Asian lean left... so who are you directing your comment to?

This isn't an attack on you btw, I used to do the same thing. But, I stopped, because it feels like we're just apologizing and trying to distinguish ourselves as "a good one," except in this case with the left instead of the right. Fuck racism against Asians, period, regardless of their political affiliation. We're minorities. I'd probably have a little less sympathy if they wanted to be "one of the good ones" to the right and bought into those politics, but they don't.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I saw this and rolled my eyes tbh.

The part isn't that you're wrong, it's that why the fuck do we have to continually bring up to nonAsians (which most of this forum is) / nonAsian audiences that YES ASIANS ARE SOOO RACIST. I mean, I see white people saying that ALL the time as some justification for being racist against Asians. Every time there is a story about racism against black people or Hispanic people, do we really need to be like, "SEE CONSERVATIVE BLACK PEOPLE/HISPANIC PEOPLE <x>."

I mean, I honestly don't disagree with you that some Asian people are racist and buy into the whole model minority thing. I think that's relevant when the Asian person in question in the OP is super conservative. But, clearly the people involved in the incident were not, and clearly most people in this forum that are Asian lean left... so who are you directing your comment to?

This isn't an attack on you btw, I used to do the same thing. But, I stopped, because it feels like we're just apologizing and trying to distinguish ourselves as "a good one," except in this case with the left instead of the right. Fuck racism against Asians, period, regardless of their political affiliation. We're minorities. I'd probably have a little less sympathy if they wanted to be "one of the good ones" to the right and bought into those politics, but they don't.
Right. It's this plus thread derailment and whataboutism. "Well, what about the Asians who are also racist?"

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every time there is a story about racism against black people or Hispanic people, do we really need to be like, "SEE CONSERVATIVE BLACK PEOPLE/HISPANIC PEOPLE <x>."

I imagine that has to do with what conservatives use the model minority thing for.

I don't think other conservatives would ever consider a black conservative a model minority, just a racial shield. The things that the model minority pushes (high income, education, law abiding, etc.) were actively hindered by white people in the black community, and the Hispanic community too. So if a black or hispanic conservative shows up it's often for an entirely different reason. The model minority thing doesn't come up with other conservative minorities because it's being used against those minorities most of the time.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that has to do with what conservatives use the model minority thing for.

I don't think other conservatives would ever consider a black conservative a model minority, just a racial shield. The things that the model minority pushes (high income, education, law abiding, etc.) were actively hindered by white people in the black community, and the Hispanic community too. So if a black or hispanic conservative shows up it's often for an entirely different reason. The model minority thing doesn't come up with other conservative minorities because it's being used against those minorities most of the time.
Sure, but they're not being shit on when the topic is about them being victimized. Imagine someone jumping into a police brutality thread to point out that sack of shit black people exist, too.

It would be (rightfully) unacceptable.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chans are gonna Chan. 🤷‍♂️
It's all performative and done to show that you're one of the good ones by throwing your own under the bus. We have problems with racial prejudice in our community? No shit. But that doesn't mean that anything anyone in our community does is related to that. Like maybe your folks wouldn't have internalized white supremacy if they weren't victims of it and maybe you should focus on THAT instead.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Man..... This belongs more in the Chappelle thread but I just couldn't tolerate that special anymore. Regardless of "delivery" and/or context his jokes just didn't land anymore for me. I've grown out of his style of stand-up and his Chinese shit didn't help.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i've been listening to a lot of that Asian Not Asian podcast (something like 40 episodes at this point) and i'm delighted to say it's still really good. Check it out. Lot of great guests as well.

Will say it can lag behind slightly on, like, sexism somewhat for the obvious reason that the hosts are two asian dudes, but they do their best.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
i've been listening to a lot of that Asian Not Asian podcast (something like 40 episodes at this point) and i'm delighted to say it's still really good. Check it out. Lot of great guests as well.

Will say it can lag behind slightly on, like, sexism somewhat for the obvious reason that the hosts are two asian dudes, but they do their best.

!

I think I will.

Dec 24, 2017
I am going on a date with a girl that taught JET for two years.

I've got $5 that says that she's not a weeb. She's over 35, the weeb populace in that demo is fairly low.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i mean she could still be a weeb but a weeb who has learned to manage that shit with also being a functional human being

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno...that's a coin toss on the weeb thing to me. I've been outta the game for like 20 years though so don't take my word for it..lolz

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
ranger literally offered $5 so as the resident australian i'm going to put that at 2:1 odds. pretend asianbucks only tho

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Man..... This belongs more in the Chappelle thread but I just couldn't tolerate that special anymore. Regardless of "delivery" and/or context his jokes just didn't land anymore for me. I've grown out of his style of stand-up and his Chinese shit didn't help.

We turned off his special. I don't know what to say, really. It wasn't anything in particular it was just boring and uninspired as a whole. It's kind of a shame because when I saw him a couple of years ago he killed it, but he just can't let certain things go and it shows big time.

Speaking of Ramen, for Bay Area folks this place just opened up:

I think I'll head down there this weekend. My sister is in town so it might be fun to try something new.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that I'd be down with Bay Area lines for new stuff. Like, I already know it's going to be at least an hour's wait, no matter how good it is or isn't.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
watching the pewdiepie clusterfuck made me wonder if there's any big popular english-language asian youtubers/streamers besides ProdZ.

Mind you JPN streamers and virtual youtubers are fairly entertaining, but my brain can't process fast enough

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
watching the pewdiepie clusterfuck made me wonder if there's any big popular english-language asian youtubers/streamers besides ProdZ.

Mind you JPN streamers and virtual youtubers are fairly entertaining, but my brain can't process fast enough

I was thinking about this way before the PDP shit. Moreso for Asian and Asian American Lefttuber/Breadtuber.

On the gaming side I don't know too many. Twitch has Anthony_Kongphan (dude averages between 500-2k viewers depending on the game he's playing).... Other than him I don't of any other popular English-speaking Asians/Asian Americans.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Actually the FGC has a few, James Chen et al, I wonder if there's names on the LoL/Dota side I should know.

Dec 24, 2017
Why did you go jogging high?

I'm getting it on PC because I only have the base ps4 and xbox one

Because I hate running. I mean, why suffer till I get a runner's high, when I can start off high?

It's also meditative. It clears my head and my soul.i can turn off my brain and just enjoy being, you know?

Clearly, I'm still high.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit you're right. I totally forgot about the FGC but it's mainly because I don't even follow that scene heavily.
The FGC should definitely have some. Might depend on the game.

I think Overwatch League has a few as well.

Because I hate running. I mean, why suffer till I get a runner's high, when I can start off high?

It's also meditative. It clears my head and my soul.i can turn off my brain and just enjoy being, you know?

Clearly, I'm still high.
I'd probably run into the middle of a field and get eaten by coyotes, then the coyotes would get high on my meat. My delicious Beat Meat

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Hearthstone has a few too. TrumpSC (had the name prior to current POTUS), Frodan, and Amaz were all pretty huge when HS was a big streaming game. Less so now, of course, but I think that's the way these things go.