• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Hello all!
Don't think I ever posted in this here thread yet!
I am here to represent first gen born in Canada 3/4 Vietnamese, 1/4 Chinese people who can only speak basic level Vietnamese and barely read any of it lol.

My momma learned to make mooncakes this year and I, of course, got to have some! So proud of her! 65 and still learning from the youtubes lol (unfortunately, her and my dad are falling down some sort of Vietnamese alt-Right Trumper hellhole too wtf).

EElwl9HWwAEMEY3

Hey, welcome! Glad to see you here, and your foodcakes are welcome :D

Come commiserate with us. I think most of us are US based, but the concerns and discussions are probably quite similar :(

Well, I guess I have to wait to see if this new mass in my colon is new cancer or just a thing. Lovely.

Omigod. I'm so sorry! I hope it's nothing ...

Dec 24, 2017
Stuff happens in the colon all the time when you get older. The question is, random nodule? Or metastatic cancer? I was really hoping that if I got cancer again, it wouldn't be butt cancer. But I feel that's more poetic.

But we'll see. I do know, that if it butt cancer and I need a damn bag, I will know that, that moment is when I realized I am never having sex again.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
TrailerParkRanger Yeah, here's hoping there isn't anything serious going on.

I listened to Yang the other day on The Daily and most of the interview went pretty well I think. He came off as well spoken, intelligent, and he did make a good point about UBI being more than just welfare on steroids. He also had a realistic take on the downsides. That left a good impression.

Then he gets asked a question about racism and sexism and he pivots towards economic insecurity and automation which makes his entire thought process seem so shallow. It really made him seem either like a) a craven technocrat or b) somebody who can only see the world through one lens.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing about Yang right now is that, knowing he has zero chance of actually winning, he just doing whatever it takes to keep getting onto the debate stage, where he can bring up his policy ideas. Unfortunately, the best way for him to do that is to also court undesirables.

Dec 24, 2017
When someone asks you, "What nickname would the President give you?"

Maybe answer, "Something really fucking racist."

And not proceed to pick out which racially charged name you prefer to be called.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
From the Hill

The House Oversight and Reform Committee on Monday launched an investigation into Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao over whether she is using her office to benefit herself and her family.

The investigation follows a series of reports alleging that Chao used her role in the Trump administration to boost Foremost Group, a shipping company founded by her father, and initially didn't divest from stock in a major construction company.

She is Transportation Sec and is married to Mich McConnell. That's two strikes already LOL.

Dec 24, 2017

She is a career bureaucrat, current Secretary of Transportation, former Secretary of Labor. Taiwanese immigrant. Wife of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Sells Taiwan out a lot to Chinese business and elite interests. Obscured large parts of her daily schedule as Transportation Secretary, which lead to suspicion of her influence peddling the Oval Office.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
She is a career bureaucrat, current Secretary of Transportation, former Secretary of Labor. Taiwanese immigrant. Wife of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Sells Taiwan out a lot to Chinese business and elite interests. Obscured large parts of her daily schedule as Transportation Secretary, which lead to suspicion of her influence peddling the Oval Office.

Ooooooooh her! Yeah, I know she's a piece of shit.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's right to define a woman by whom she chooses to marry.

But, shit, man, when her husband is Mitch motherfucking McConnell, what the hell kind of person can look at that shit and love that?

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wife of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

All that needs to be said. But the other stuff is important too.

I don't think it's right to define a woman by whom she chooses to marry.

But, shit, man, when her husband is Mitch motherfucking McConnell, what the hell kind of person can look at that shit and love that?

Maybe she really likes turtles, to the exclusion of all else.

I will judge anyone who marries a Nazi shitbag

Pretty much.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Life has hit me with a bit of a swerve ball and it's further cemented how important it is to be able to love yourself. As I'm coming to learn, part of that is giving yourself credit and trusting yourself. Otherwise, you're just making life harder for yourself than it should be. I feel like in this regard I've neglected building up my resilience because investing in self-hate is not a source of strength. I realised I've also often distracted myself by helping other people because it's easier than helping myself. I can give myself credit for keeping it together through thick and thin so far but I think I need to flip a switch if I wanna do more than just get by.

I know most, if not all, of yall are grown up so I hope I don't come off too much like the temperamental young adult I am lol - I'm just navigating this shit and I like venting to my older peers not because yall have it all perfectly sorted but because it reminds me that I can make it another day and another year🙏

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need some hottips? I'm sure we can all give some hottips! haha

This reminds me of a small epiphany I had when I was younger and getting academically/emotionally burnt out:
Who do you think rewards you for punishing yourself? There is no one in heaven or in the universe who will look down, pet you on the head, and say good job for the self-hate. There is no justice being served in being self-punitive and hateful toward yourself. So be kind to yourself and strive to nurture yourself to grow into a better person. That's enough.

Also, I tell everyone that usually you'll mellow out by your 30s. The perspective you'll have by then will hopefully pull you through the rest of the way!

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BLOODED_hands TrailerParkRanger

Thanks yall <3

Prax

You're on the money there with the fact that being self-punitive doesn't result in any form of justice. I don't even believe in punitive justice on a societal level lol. I gotta take it easy on myself.

My former high school teacher told me the same thing - she said that by the end of your twenties the ups and downs get less intense and your brain would have also finished developing haha. I'm not exactly itching to blaze through my twenties but I know this is all part of the journey and it'll simmer down eventually.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, you're not going to wake up on your 30th birthday and suddenly be a different person. It's just the accumulation of subtle changes over time such that, one day, as you look back at your 20s, that guy will feel like a different person.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you aren't going to divorce Batman in your sleep. Sorry.
Batman-50-Catwoman-Wedding-DC-Comics-spoilers-9.jpg

Moonkid My jokes aside, there's no crazy secret to getting everything together. You just kinda have to start working toward what you want to do instead of waiting for some sort of 'GO' sign. And yeah, being too hard on yourself isn't going to give you the results you want.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017
In light of all the kids dying of vaping. My mother called me to discuss my vaping.

Hello, it's me, the middle aged man, who had to explain his cannabis usage to his mother.

Deleted member 60170

Sep 23, 2019
i've been listening to a lot of that Asian Not Asian podcast (something like 40 episodes at this point) and i'm delighted to say it's still really good. Check it out. Lot of great guests as well.

Will say it can lag behind slightly on, like, sexism somewhat for the obvious reason that the hosts are two asian dudes, but they do their best.

Woah, just got approved today (hi everyone!) and found this thread. Did not expect to see these guys mentioned here! I agree that they sometimes say some cringey things but I like them a lot.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
lmao fumi going off this episode about not understanding/seeing 'asian thots' before had me and everybody in the studio with him cringing haha. good times. thank god they had people who could actually speak about that scene on lmao

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
To be clear, you're not going to wake up on your 30th birthday and suddenly be a different person. It's just the accumulation of subtle changes over time such that, one day, as you look back at your 20s, that guy will feel like a different person.

yeah this

*edit: for what it's worth, i fucking love being in my 30s. I was definitely a different person than my 20s, but I don't remember who I was in my 20s nor do I care anymore. It's behind me. What's important is for me to focus on the future.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
yeah but sometimes you get that feeling like you could have better optimised your teens/20s

i'll save those sick strats for NG+

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
My Chinese Lyft driver thought I was Arabic cause of my beard.

We started speaking in Cantonese and I accidentally let slip a bit of Taishanese and turns out, he's also Taishanese and we had a nice conversation.

Mostly just bitching about how tired we were but it was very amusing and satisfying since I haven't had a full blown conversation in Taishanese in over a decade.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Mini rant:

It always annoys me how my Chinese friend (from China) makes fun of my Xinjiang heritage. Like, it's 2019, of fucking course there are cars. Why in the world would horses be the main form of transportation?

Also, stop giving me weird looks when you ask if I'm 100% Chinese. Are you gonna suddenly unfriend me if I have Turkish blood(I don't)?

Finally, just because I eat different Chinese food(like spicier things or lamb) or say things differently, it's not because I'm a "Xinjiang guy". I wasn't even born there - I'm American.

yeah but sometimes you get that feeling like you could have better optimised your teens/20s

i'll save those sick strats for NG+
One of these days, watching that isekai will pay off.

Dec 24, 2017
handed in an assignment late for the first time, i'm a m e s s ; ^ ;
I once completely spaced out which exam room was my calculus final. I took a calculus final, just not the one I was supposed to take.

I still ended up with an B and vowed to never take a math class again. Actually, that was the last STEM class I would ever take.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
handed in an assignment late for the first time, i'm a m e s s ; ^ ;
I started doing this more and more as undergrad and graduate studies went on, pushing my limits and caculating "how much of a grade drop can I get before I knock too much off my gpa" game. lol

Not that I wasn't stressed as hell and kicking myself for being so reckless and anxious and stupid, but I think part of it was just from burnout.

In the end, it doesn't even matter. You'll live! Just don't uhm.. get as bad as me haha. I handed in my thesis a month late and I think I was docked a few points or a letter grade (like A to A-) but whatever. :3

Last edited:

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started doing this more and more as undergrad and graduate studies went on, pushing my limits and caclulating "how much of a grade drop can I get before I knock too much off my gpa" game. lol

In the end, it doesn't even matter. You'll live! Just don't uhm.. get as bad as me haha. I handed in my thesis a month late and I think I was docked a few points or a letter grade (like A to A-) but whatever. :3
lol glad I'm not the only one then - I'm in my last year and have been crumbling work ethic wise. I managed to squeak out a couple A+'s last sem but I had to do an all nighter for the first time, now I'm straight up doing things late fk. You're right though, grades don't matter that much and at this point I should be looking at career options. Where did these past four years go aaaaaaa
I once completely spaced out which exam room was my calculus final. I took a calculus final, just not the one I was supposed to take.

I still ended up with an B and vowed to never take a math class again. Actually, that was the last STEM class I would ever take.
The last STEM class I took was in uni and it was a glorified high school stats paper. In hindsight I wish I didn't give up on math and the natural sciences during the later years of high school but it just wasn't stimulating for me compared to music or history.

Dec 24, 2017
The last STEM class I took was in uni and it was a glorified high school stats paper. In hindsight I wish I didn't give up on math and the natural sciences during the later years of high school but it just wasn't stimulating for me compared to music or history.

I was a liberal arts major taking my 3rd calculus course and looking at applied linear algebra next. Why the hell was I doing that?

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm taking French lessons and during one class, I guess I was really tired and frustrated and some Chinese slipped out. I guess the translating part of my brain is linked.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the reasons 30s>20s is because a lot of people have unreasonable expectations of themselves when they're younger and 30 is that mark people like to set as the deadline for all those achievements.

That stress in the 20s trying to achieve those lofty goals really effs you up.

Then come the 30s and while you "failed" your goals you realized "Hey, I'm in a pretty good place in my life so what if I'm not where I expected to be when I was younger, I was naive then. I should enjoy this".

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to wake up at night occasionally after having a dream that I didn't hand in an assignment, many years after graduation. It hasn't happened for the past few years, at least.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the reasons 30s>20s is because a lot of people have unreasonable expectations of themselves when they're younger and 30 is that mark people like to set as the deadline for all those achievements.

That stress in the 20s trying to achieve those lofty goals really effs you up.

Then come the 30s and while you "failed" your goals you realized "Hey, I'm in a pretty good place in my life so what if I'm not where I expected to be when I was younger, I was naive then. I should enjoy this".
WELL ASTROLOGICALLY--
/is shot