• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 24, 2017
I grew out my facial hair for two weeks and I did not like the result. I look like I'm about to try and sell you artisanal hipster meth.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i saw an asian dude with a full beard the other day and my eyes filled with jealousy

i just can't get any growth on the cheeks to connect the sideburns with the goatee, and it looks terrible during that midstage, so I always end up shaving it off in the end

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It kind of bothers me that people are calling Lebron James, Qing or Ching James.

Shit is too close to a racial slur and I don't trust "progressive" Era to know better.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
@KingJames is Lebron's twitter handle. King James has been his nickname for a long while, so it's probably a riff of that. They probably think "Qing" is pronounced the same as "King."
Qing was also a king of sorts once upon a time. So I guess they aren't wrong.

Also, apparently I have been to (but not in) TP Tea. It's in the same plaza as this udon place I really like. I'm not going to like up for an hour for some tea, though; I don't care how good it is.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
@KingJames is Lebron's twitter handle. King James has been his nickname for a long while, so it's probably a riff of that. They probably think "Qing" is pronounced the same as "King."

This is what I thought too...which is what made me side eye it in the first place...Shit just comes from a place of ignorance.

I thought LeYuan James was clever though.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Loving the Asian not Asian podcast. Thanks for the rec! Any rec for Asian American women or duos podcasts for the other side of the coin?

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've become increasingly aware that Era is one of the more toxic environments I've come across on the Internet, and I realize it's the privilege for me to say that it's where I encounter most of my daily racism, but maybe I should...step away for a while. It's so emotionally draining to deal with people here.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I've become increasingly aware that Era is one of the more toxic environments I've come across on the Internet, and I realize it's the privilege for me to say that it's where I encounter most of my daily racism, but maybe I should...step away for a while. It's so emotionally draining to deal with people here.
I appreciate your threads.
What bothers me is the sheer amount of misinformation being thrown around the whole situation. It's certainly become pretty difficult to speak dispassionately without coming off as "supporting China".

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
You are absolutely right, and I've had to do that myself. It's astounding how this place has become a parody of itself--it tries to be so far left that it loops into the right with its dogpiling and regressive groupthink.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Basically two things mods turn a blind eye to on this forum. Asian racism and religion.

To Pet, and others who have replied to me:

This is what I am getting at when I bring up the fact that Cerium, an Asian American, owns this place.

He owns the place.
He sets the TOS.
He makes the rules.
He decides what is allowed and what is not allowed?

Notice how the mods here are uber on the ball when it comes to being aggressively against any perceived transphobia?

Notice how at least one mod here has a hair trigger for anything that can be perceived as anti-Israeli?

My point is that why can't Cerium inform the mod team that anti-Asian shit doesn't fly here just as much as transphobia doesn't fly here.

He doesn't need to get actively involved; he just needs to set the rules against Anti-Asian shit and make sure they're enforced.

I don't think this is a huge ask.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loving the Asian not Asian podcast. Thanks for the rec! Any rec for Asian American women or duos podcasts for the other side of the coin?

All women with an anti-colonialist feminist slant. It's GOOD.

Just remember all this forum content is armchair activism at its finest.
These fuckers so woke they're sleepwalking.

To Pet, and others who have replied to me:

This is what I am getting at when I bring up the fact that Cerium, an Asian American, owns this place.

He owns the place.
He sets the TOS.
He makes the rules.
He decides what is allowed and what is not allowed?

Notice how the mods here are uber on the ball when it comes to being aggressively against any perceived transphobia?

Notice how at least one mod here has a hair trigger for anything that can be perceived as anti-Israeli?

My point is that why can't Cerium inform the mod team that anti-Asian shit doesn't fly here just as much as transphobia doesn't fly here.

He doesn't need to get actively involved; he just needs to set the rules against Anti-Asian shit and make sure they're enforced.

I don't think this is a huge ask.
Agreed. It's by design. It stings worse when it's one of your own.

wayward

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to elaborate more when I have more time but here's a question. If it's truly about the government and not about the people.. why not at the bare minimum replace fuck China with fuck the CCP?

Agreed. The same community that can see nuance in confederate statues and flags as "racist wallpaper" thinks that "Fuck China" is targeted at the CCP and not Chinese people and culture as a whole and everyone, including the racists, will be able to parse that out. How fucking dense are these people.

But I guess it's hard to be against Anti-Asian racism when you don't have things from Last Week Tonight or The Daily Show to regurgitate from.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll try to elaborate more when I have more time but here's a question. If it's truly about the government and not about the people.. why not at the bare minimum replace fuck China with fuck the CCP?

I think if Era posters even remotely cared about the people they'd actually take a pause to ask the question of just how many Hong Kongers actually want independence, and be able to communicate just how an independent Hong Kong could support itself.

Seriously, I could not roll my eyes more when somebody pointed the disparity out to me with regards to the Extinction Rebellion protest thread. Like, okay, when white people get inconvenienced by people protesting governments engendering a worldwide existential crisis that will unduely affect people of color and the poor, you whine about how it's so inconvenient for the "working class", but when Hong Kongers get inconvenienced by the conflict between the protestors and a genocidal totalitarian regime, you give zero shits. These fuckers could not get more transparent.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I think if Era posters even remotely cared about the people they'd actually take a pause to ask the question of just how many Hong Kongers actually want independence, and be able to communicate just how an independent Hong Kong could support itself.

Seriously, I could not roll my eyes more when somebody pointed the disparity out to me with regards to the Extinction Rebellion protest thread. Like, okay, when white people get inconvenienced by people protesting governments engendering a worldwide existential crisis that will unduely affect people of color and the poor, you whine about how it's so inconvenient for the "working class", but when Hong Kongers get inconvenienced by the conflict between the protestors and a genocidal totalitarian regime, you give zero shits. These fuckers could not get more transparent.
Just checked that thread, it was something...
Also in the Barcelona thread, everyone's appreciating one poster for providing more context of the situation.
Meanwhile, we've seen what would happen if someone try to explain five core demands.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I just think they are doing the same Bruce Lee shit to LeBron.
People for sure can be mad at his tweets, but the man doesn't deserve to be discredited of all the good things he's done for the community.
He's probably the most positive inspiration for a lot of kids and that really matters.

DosaDaRaja

Oct 26, 2017
Just checked that thread, it was something...
Also in the Barcelona thread, everyone's appreciating one poster for providing more context of the situation.
Meanwhile, we've seen what would happen if someone try to explain five core demands.
People have already made up their minds about this particular topic.

They just want some kind of validation for their thoughts and opinions, hence the difference between the two.

It's almost as if they want to believe a particular thing about a particular people.

Which is why I do not post much in those kinda threads

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Turns out this forum is much better when you put Hobbes on ignore

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
This forum exist because of generic white "woke" and "cancel" culture. Asians aren't one of the groups that the culture cares about so don't expect to be treated with the same respect.

It's also why it pisses me off when some Asians try to idolize this culture. They're shitting you every chance they got and you're still kissing their asses.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
lmao yes I also figured that out during the whole EGS crap, and he's a verified video game press lol.
I wouldn't mind if he weren't so blatantly trying to get clout out of the whole situation, going into HK threads not made by him and commenting "I thought this was my thread" and promoting the "fuck China" mob mentality in general. The lack of nuance here really bothers me.

On another note, I had a chat with some of my Blizzard buddies on the Hearthstone team. Man, I really feel for those guys. They're caught in a terrible spot.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada

I have taken refuge in specific threads. General threads in discussion forums are just not worth reading beyond OP and sometimes beyond the title.