• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh! if you find a UK bluray copy of memories of a murder please let me know! It's one of my all-time favourite films, along with Sonatine which also hasn't had a UK BD release -.-

Likewise! One of my favorites too, which makes the fact that I don't actually own it in any form right now all the more heart-breaking.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
I have been out of touch for write sometimes but can still recall these two fine Korean movies.

Lady Vengeance 친절한 금자씨. (2005)

A Tale of Two Sisters 장화, 홍련 (2003)

As for Japanese movies, I used to watch some of Koki MITANI's works like the University of Laughs 笑の大学 (2004) and Suteki na Kakushidori ステキな隠し撮り(2011). Love Letter (1995) by Shunji IWAI and The Letters 手紙 (2006) were pretty good.

I haven't watched that many new ones in years, but I keep hearing good things about Shoplifters 万引き家族 (2018) so perhaps I will give a watch soon enough.

Last edited:

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh! if you find a UK bluray copy of memories of a murder please let me know! It's one of my all-time favourite films, along with Sonatine which also hasn't had a UK BD release -.-

Doesn't exist. There's a Korean region free release with English subtitles but it's been sold out for years, Japanese release without English subtitles and French release with only French subs. So basically your only option is to try to find the Korean release which pretty much doesn't exist on planet earth.

I had to go with the DVD.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about the UK, but for Sonatine at least, the original Blu-Ray release in Japan by Bandai Visual is the only one with English subs. But even on Amazon in the US, there's like one copy for $90. It's a pretty tough find unfortunately.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Sonatine sounds great.

Now I'm bummed, because I'll probably never see it with English subtitles. Lol.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I recently rewatched Shaolin Soccer because, you know, world cup and all. This is a pretty outlandish comedy take on soccer but I still laughed a lot. I watched in cantonese, I wonder if much of the humour is lost in translation and difference in culture. Sometimes I wonder how well these films will hold up without my familiarity and background. Stephen Chow's comedies, particularly the earlier stuff definitely isn't for everyone. They tend to be pretty dumb and can be pretty offensive sometimes I guess since it mocks and makes fun of a lot of stuff including popular (at the time) trends or stereotypes.

IllustriousFocusedAlbatross-size_restricted.gif

speedwagen

Oct 27, 2017
UK, London
ara it's like the antithesis of an action film. It's all about a yakuza who has just gotten too old for this shit.

There are Third Window releases of a bunch of other Beat Takeshi releases like Dolls, Hana Bi and A Scene at the Sea which is another of my favourites.

http://thirdwindowfilms.com/

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys, I'm trying to learn Japanese and Mandarin Chinese, are there any good action films in those languages that you guys would recommend?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Guys, I'm trying to learn Japanese and Mandarin Chinese, are there any good action films in those languages that you guys would recommend?

The problem with movies in Mandarin is that often they are using dialect or "everyday" speech that, if you are just learning with books, you wont understand. Maybe start with some Zhang Yimou movies or movies by Jia Zhangke.

If you want to hear more normal chinese I can recommend the TV show Day and Night. Chinese police drama which is also on Netflix. They talk in a way more Chinese really talk.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem with movies in Mandarin is that often they are using dialect or "everyday" speech that, if you are just learning with books, you wont understand. Maybe start with some Zhang Yimou movies or movies by Jia Zhangke.

If you want to hear more normal chinese I can recommend the TV show Day and Night. Chinese police drama which is also on Netflix. They talk in a way more Chinese really talk.
OK, I'll try to check it out!!

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I recently rewatched Shaolin Soccer because, you know, world cup and all. This is a pretty outlandish comedy take on soccer but I still laughed a lot. I watched in cantonese, I wonder if much of the humour is lost in translation and difference in culture. Sometimes I wonder how well these films will hold up without my familiarity and background. Stephen Chow's comedies, particularly the earlier stuff definitely isn't for everyone. They tend to be pretty dumb and can be pretty offensive sometimes I guess since it mocks and makes fun of a lot of stuff including popular (at the time) trends or stereotypes.

I do love me some Stephen Chow movies. I find them hilarious for the most part.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

Shaolin Soccer is probably the one that uses language the least in its comedy compared with Stephen Chow films that came before and his work in TV. I guess even Kung Fu Hustle requires more knowledge of the genre to fully appreciate.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
I was really surprised by this one. Watched it after the leads were on Running Man. Hilarious movie

I wasn't expecting much from the film since I just watched it to kill some time but the action blew me away. That final fight reminded me a bit of the finale light in Raid 1. <3

Watched it the other night, enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the recommendation.

im glad to hear you guys enjoyed it as much as i did

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Burning tmr. I tried watching one of his past films, Peppermint Candy, but it was so depressing I stopped watching.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got my DVD + Bluray copy of Cure, really looking forward to checking it out. Hopefully I'll have the time (and energy, holy-fuck-it's-hot) to watch it this weekend.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Seeing Burning tmr. I tried watching one of his past films, Peppermint Candy, but it was so depressing I stopped watching.

Peppermint Candy is one of my favorite movies of all time.
But yeah, Lee Chang-dong's work can be a serious punch to the gut. You'll need a support group after watching Oasis.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I do enjoy them, I haven't watched any of his older stuff for a long time though since I don't know any official legit ways to watch them. I recently cleaned out my family's old VHS collection too.

Damn, tell me about it. The only way I got to watch his older stuff was through old VHS tapes. :/
I'm wondering if there's a DVD collection set of his filmography.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Peppermint Candy is one of my favorite movies of all time.
But yeah, Lee Chang-dong's work can be a serious punch to the gut. You'll need a support group after watching Oasis.
That or Poetry were my alternative go-to's, the latter which my mum kept recommending to me over peppermint candy. What struck me about the film, I got to the middle of the second flashback, was how realistic and well-realised it felt - I've never felt so uncomfortable over family woes.

SilSto

Nov 5, 2017
Finally was able to watch Operation Red Sea. The Blu-ray took forever to come out by Hong Kong release standards but it was more than worth the wait. One of the few movies that actually lived up to the hype and expectations. I can't think of any action movie in recent memory that has the same intensity, variety of action, and pacing as it did. There's a US release by Well Go for this interested. If you have surround sound prepare to be immersed.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Managed to make some time today to watch Cure and man, what an absolutely fantastic film it was! Wasn't expecting quite that much mindfuckery, which can easily go from a hit to a miss more often than not, but it definitely worked for this one just marvelously. Not even going to pretend I understood everything lol - but maybe I will, on a rewatch at a later date. It was also incredibly nice to look at and I just loved all the long takes. Thought they worked really well in the more dialogue focused scenes.

All in all absolutely worth the wait and the price. No doubt I'll rewatch this multiple times in the future.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone seen Cemetery of Splendour from 'Uncle Boonmee' director Apichatpong Weerasethakul

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh man I haven't watched this movie in like a decade. It's pretty kino

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Outrage Coda. This was some garbage. There was very little plot, and even that little is thrown out of the window and everything is resolved by Takeshi killing bunch of people. Can't believe Kitano actually directed this mess.

First and second movie were not masterpieces but at least they were entertaining Yakuza movies.

Prologue

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have we gotten anything big budget recently like Train to Busan or The Tower? I love The Tower

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
That or Poetry were my alternative go-to's, the latter which my mum kept recommending to me over peppermint candy. What struck me about the film, I got to the middle of the second flashback, was how realistic and well-realised it felt - I've never felt so uncomfortable over family woes.

I've only seen Peppermint Candy and Oasis but they both felt so very realistic and raw to me, i've yet to see any of his other stuff though.

I watched Failan the other night, that was an emotional ride i tell yas. Min Sik Choi is incredible.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289181/
Wouldn't mind recommendations for similar stuff

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen Peppermint Candy and Oasis but they both felt so very realistic and raw to me, i've yet to see any of his other stuff though.
If Burning gets a run where you're at I'd recommend it. It wasn't as raw as what I saw of Peppermint Candy was. It was pretty digestible and just an overall gripping watch from start to finish.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Just came across the Good the Bad the Weird soundtrack on youtube suggestions.. What a great movie that is. If anyone hasn't seen it yet I recommend you do. It's so much fun.

Also I noticed that Look out Officer! and Love on Delivery just came it to Netflix (UK). They are some really goofy comedies from Stephen Chow well worth watching.