• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Wong Kar-Wai films were my jam for a while. I haven't seen it in years, but Ashes of Time was my favorite movie of all time for a long while. I like it more than Chungking Express or In the Mood for Love, but both of those movies are great.

Also love The Killer and Hard Boiled for some nice John Woo gun action.
I rewatched Hard Boiled the other day and besides the action choreography, it hasn't aged that well in my opinion. The twist happening halfway through the film didn't do the suspense any favours and the ending showdown is laughably over the top, but so is the rest of the film.

I think Bullet in the Head is Woo's best film.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
'Love Exposure' is one the greatest bits of modern Japanese cinema ever produced. Sion Sono directed it, inspired by his own life events - so expect perversion, heart ache, longing, religion, and ultra violence.

The ending had me choked up.

It's 4 hours btw, but you will not ONCE be bored. Promise.

mv5bndu1ogrjm2ytzddmymrryy.jpg

https://letterboxd.com/kinggroin/film/love-exposure/

Is there a better Asian film than Farewell, My Concubine?

Yes

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
That's a good movie, and I love Sono, but 4 hours is a crime.
Loved the movie and for some reason the long runtime didn't bother me at all. I should check out what Sono has been up to lately. I think last Sono film I saw and enjoyed was Why Don't you play in hell. I have faint memory that I watched first 30 min. from TAG and it was absolutely terrible, hopefully there is more to Sono's new films. We don't need another Miike.

edit. Love & Peace looks fun by the trailer

I'm going to watch one of my many unwatched JP movies today. Which one should I pick? Right now I'm leaning towards A Bride for... Since it's Shunji Iwai movie and he rarely dissapoints.

- If Cats Disappeared from the World
- The Naked Island
- Give It All
- Taifun Club
- A Bride for Van Winkle

Last edited:

ZombAid

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Loved the movie and for some reason the long runtime didn't bother me at all. I should check out what Sono has been up to lately. I think last Sono film I saw and enjoyed was Why Don't you play in hell. I have faint memory that I watched first 30 min. from TAG and it was absolutely terrible, hopefully there is more to Sono's new films. We don't need another Miike.

I love Sono, but hated Love & Peace.
The whispering star was much more up my alley.
And I really liked TAG, convoluted and messy as it was.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I have a certain fondness for Silk (詭絲). It's a Taiwanese film from 2006.

220px-Silkfilmposter.jpg

Plot said:
A team of scientists led by Hashimoto has managed to capture the energy of a ghost child with a newly invented device called Menger Sponge. The child, isolated in an empty flat, moves his lips to words no one understands. Hashimoto enlists special agent Ye Chi-Tung, who is able to read lips, to reveal how the child can shed light on life...and life after death...

Flawed movie for sure, but I found it very interesting to watch. It's labeled as a thriller, mystery or horror movie. Actually it's all of that and more blended into a meltpot of genres and ideas. Which makes the transition between scenes kinda hilarious as it shifts. The main language is Mandarin, but one of the main characters speaks Japanese lol.

Still not sure if it's a good or bad movie, but it's something that stayed with me haha.

roosters93

Oct 25, 2017
Love Exposure blew my teenage mind back in the day. 4 hours flew by.

Something I just finally got around to seeing last week was 이창동 감독님의 박하사탕. Lee Chang-Dong's Peppermint Candy. That took me for a ride

718IqhQyQ2L._SY445_.jpg

I'm a big fan of 홍상수 감독님 Hong Sang-Soo. He's quite prolific. My favourite of his I've seen is probably 지금은 맞고 그때는 틀리다. Right Now, Wrong Then (2016).

Right_Now%2C_Wrong_Then_%28poster%29.jpg

It is really sad that Edward Yang passed away so young, I enjoyed all his films and Yi Yi in particular. In a way I think Koreeda has picked up where Yang left off. There is a great affinity between the two and I am glad we still get those kind of films.

Last year I did enjoy a few small films from Hong Kong that gave some hope that there will be a new generation of directors and potential for another new wave. These are namely, Chun Wong's Mad World 一念無明, Chan Chi-fat's baseball movie Weeds On Fire 點五步 and Trivosa 樹大招風.

一念無明_%28Mad_World%29.jpg
220px-Weeds_on_Fire_%28點五步%29.jpg
220px-Trivisa.jpg

Of the three I think Mad World is the most accomplished and I found it very affecting in a similar way that Ann Hui often did, with her Tin Shui Wai films for example, that focus on the stress and displacement of the ordinary working class people. I didn't expect such a good performance from Shawn Yue.

Weeds on Fire isn't as good as Taiwan's Kanu as a baseball movie, a bit melodramatic, but it was decent and I loved it since I used to play baseball in HK and never imagined a movie about this ever getting made.

Trivosa is a strange one, it is produced by Johnnie To and it felt like it could be a one of his off-beat crime dramas. I know people who loved it and others who hated it, but I thought it did what it set out to very well and reflects the mood I feel in HK. I still want a proper Johnnie To crime movie though, it's been a while since he made Election 1 and 2, a third one is long overdue.

I think these small movies is where HK cinema is at, the commercial scene as others said have been tainted by mainland market pressures and censorship. The old masters have somewhat moved on from Cantonese films.

thanks for the recommendations, will have to check em out. The last one's English title seems to be Trivisa I think?

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Some favorite Asian flicks:

The Burmese Harp
Fires on the Plain
Throne of Blood
Dersu Uzala
Woman in the Dunes
Kwaidan
The Apu Trilogy
Farewell, My Concubine

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm going to watch one of my many unwatched JP movies today. Which one should I pick? Right now I'm leaning towards A Bride for... Since it's Shunji Iwai movie and he rarely dissapoints.

- If Cats Disappeared from the World
- The Naked Island
- Give It All
- Taifun Club
- A Bride for Van Winkle
TAG is interesting. He made a sequel to a popular franchise by doing no research and creating a story based off his impression of the title. It's really weird. I think that its a really meta attack on idol culture. But I'm not smart enough to understand most of it.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
If you don't mind going back in time:

Lady Snowblood (Kill Bill's muse)
Rashomon (birthed the "Rashomon effect")
Yojimbo (spawned a fist full of dollars)
Sanjuro (sequel to Yojimbo)
Seven Samurai (EPIC MASTERPIECE)

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I rewatched Hard Boiled the other day and besides the action choreography, it hasn't aged that well in my opinion. The twist happening halfway through the film didn't do the suspense any favours and the ending showdown is laughably over the top, but so is the rest of the film.

I think Bullet in the Head is Woo's best film.
I really dig the coolness Tony Leung nails during the library scene.

That jazz, too.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It is really sad that Edward Yang passed away so young, I enjoyed all his films and Yi Yi in particular. In a way I think Koreeda has picked up where Yang left off. There is a great affinity between the two and I am glad we still get those kind of films.

Last year I did enjoy a few small films from Hong Kong that gave some hope that there will be a new generation of directors and potential for another new wave. These are namely, Chun Wong's Mad World 一念無明, Chan Chi-fat's baseball movie Weeds On Fire 點五步 and Trivosa 樹大招風.

一念無明_%28Mad_World%29.jpg
220px-Weeds_on_Fire_%28點五步%29.jpg
220px-Trivisa.jpg

Of the three I think Mad World is the most accomplished and I found it very affecting in a similar way that Ann Hui often did, with her Tin Shui Wai films for example, that focus on the stress and displacement of the ordinary working class people. I didn't expect such a good performance from Shawn Yue.

Weeds on Fire isn't as good as Taiwan's Kanu as a baseball movie, a bit melodramatic, but it was decent and I loved it since I used to play baseball in HK and never imagined a movie about this ever getting made.

Trivosa is a strange one, it is produced by Johnnie To and it felt like it could be a one of his off-beat crime dramas. I know people who loved it and others who hated it, but I thought it did what it set out to very well and reflects the mood I feel in HK. I still want a proper Johnnie To crime movie though, it's been a while since he made Election 1 and 2, a third one is long overdue.

I think these small movies is where HK cinema is at, the commercial scene as others said have been tainted by mainland market pressures and censorship. The old masters have somewhat moved on from Cantonese films.

Saw Mad World, was good.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
if you guys are into chinese cinema (as in China), i think 'Let the Bullets Fly' can be exhilarating...as it's literally a movie on steriods with its fast pacing (almost David Fincher speed) and quick cuts. It stars everyone's favourite chow yun fatt and is directed and written by jiang wen, that dude with a blaster backpack in Star wars rogue one.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing how many Koreeda fans there is I would like to recommend movie called Long Excuses. The director Miwa Nishikawa has worked under Koreeda for many years and Koreeda has produced at least one of her movies. Rest of her movies are great as well but Long Excuses is easy getaway movie and similar to Koreeda's production.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More people should watch the feature length version of Dumplings.

oWwvBkz.jpg

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Need something quiet to watch. Obscure Laotian cinema recommendation where?

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Very happy to see recommendations of Wong Kar Wai films. One of my favourites being In the Mood for Love. Very fantastic film.

in-the-mood-for-love-japanese-style_a-G-8032799-0.jpg

Also, another one of his films with an LGBT focus which is rare for Asian films (of the outstanding quality), Happy Together.

happy-together-movie-poster-1996-1010200742.jpg

Soj

Oct 27, 2017

Best action movie I've seen so far this year, and I doubt anything will top it.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Memories of Murder
Oldboy
The Man From Nowhere
I Saw The Devil
The Raid 1 & 2
Are some of my favorite movies, love Asian action flicks.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
The greatest Asian movie of all time. The one that Scorcesse finally won an Oscar by copying in The Departed (unfortunately in my opinion it didn't match the original's theme).

It turns into a trilogy but can be self contained. I thought the trilogy was fantastic as well.

Watched this last night on FilmStruck! Really like this premise but I didn't think it was executed as well as The Departed. Pacing felt off at times and relationship with the psychiatrist wasn't well developed. Also lots of early 00's film trademarks that haven't aged well, like slo-mo, weird jump cuts and gratuitous dutch angles. The subtitles FS uses are also poor, there were a handful of lines that had no subtitle though I don't think it impacted my understanding really. Definitely enjoyable and worth watching, didn't know this was part of a trilogy, I'll try to track down the sequels.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there were more films like Castaway on the Moon.
Also i think Sion Sono has become one of my favourite directors over the last few years.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this but looks cool. Reviews seem mixed. Maybe worth watching just for the action though.

Yeah, the actual plot is minimal and kind of nonsense. Think Metal Gear Solid cutscene but with most of the dialogue removed. The action is the main attraction, and it's really something special.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw this on was on Amazon Prime and will probably watch. Honestly looks bad but bored / always up for takeshi kaneshiro movies.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I wish there were more films like Castaway on the Moon.
Also i think Sion Sono has become one of my favourite directors over the last few years.
There is documentary about Sono and while it's not all that interesting, it still gives some insight into the man. Worth the watch if you are fan of his.
Only thing I gathered from the docu is that he probably doesn't treat his actors too well (his wife's interview was rather eye opening).

Been re-watching Koreeda films and decided to rank his films that I have seen.

1. Still Walking
2. Nobody Knows
3. Going My Home (tv-series)
4. Our Little Sister
5. After Life
6. Like Father, Like Son
7. I Wish
8. After the Storm
9. Hana
10. Air Doll
11. The Third Murder
12. Distance

I have seen also his docu about the school kids and the calf, but I don't recall much of it so won't rank it. After the Storm was much higher up before my rewatch. Liked it for the first time but this time the story felt too light. Still, loved Hiroshi Abe. Our Little Sister was ranked very low before rewatch and now it's one his best imo.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a certain fondness for Silk (詭絲). It's a Taiwanese film from 2006.

220px-Silkfilmposter.jpg

Flawed movie for sure, but I found it very interesting to watch. It's labeled as a thriller, mystery or horror movie. Actually it's all of that and more blended into a meltpot of genres and ideas. Which makes the transition between scenes kinda hilarious as it shifts. The main language is Mandarin, but one of the main characters speaks Japanese lol.

Still not sure if it's a good or bad movie, but it's something that stayed with me haha.

Watched this too , it has a pretty good premise , really hope there are more movies like this .

maxresdefault.jpg

The Handmaidn is probably my favourite Asian movie for the current decade .

Last edited:

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Watched this too , it has a pretty good premise , really hope there are more movies like this .

maxresdefault.jpg

The Handmaidn is probably my favourite Asian movie for the current decade .
The Handmaiden was a great movie. Not sure if I would say it was Park's best film, but it was really, really good.

I think the last movie I saw was Train to Busan, which was another really great one. I still have The Age of Shadows which I am really hyped for. There ar also some older movies I bought years ago but still haven't watched yet:

- Monga
- Battle of Kingdoms

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Handmaiden was a great movie. Not sure if I would say it was Park's best film, but it was really, really good.

I think the last movie I saw was Train to Busan, which was another really great one. I still have The Age of Shadows which I am really hyped for. There ar also some older movies I bought years ago but still haven't watched yet:

- Monga
- Battle of Kingdoms

Yes , there are still Old Boy and the Vengeances movies as contenders , but I personally prefer The Handmaiden more for some reason .