• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
(This is my first OT, forgive me)
rml5vhr.jpg

Asphalt 9 is a free-to-play racing game by Gameloft that's available on like every platform I can think of. If you remember back to the Nintendo DS launch, this was one of the first titles that came out with it. Ever since then, each subsequent release has improved on the formula. These aren't just drag racing games where the race is 15 seconds long in a straight line. The default control scheme in this game is the "touch flow", but you can quickly change to a real one where you steer, or just use a Bluetooth controller.

Ux1Ve0K.jpg

i3HQU8l.jpg

4ojd1Q8.jpg

It's an arcade racer, with a ton of licensed cars. As the title says, it's very similar to Burnout with ways to accumulate nitro by driving dangerously, and using speed and agression to knock other cars off the track. The main F2P gimmick is the need for fuel after X number of races and getting cards to unlock newer vehicles and upgrades. Unlike previous games, there are no IAPs to improve your car during a race. Everyone, payers and not, plays on equal ground. There's about a half-dozen tracks currently in the game, but many races are only on small segments of each, listed in degrees of 30, 60, 90 or 120, in either the clockwise or counter-clockwise path.

BylMfOe.jpg

ADUyryC.jpg

5QxT3d8.jpg

There's a regular career path, along with daily events that can be either solo competititions or ranked leaderboards.

But my purpose for making this OT is I need a clan and I don't want to play with just regular randos.

RShJIJo.jpg

I already made a ResetEra clan and I encourage anyone else on Android to join it. (Not 100% sure that clans are platform specific, but many things are) That way we can unlock more rewards together and identify who we are in multiplayer races.

Official link:
https://asphaltlegends.com/

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA9HM&hl=en_US
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/asphalt-9-legends/id805603214?mt=8
Windows: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/asphalt-9-legends/9nzqpt0mwtd0

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I could always get back into this. I think I removed it from my phone due to it taking up a good amount of space, but what I played was a lot of fun!

OP
OP
TheChrisGlass

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Give it a shot. The game does take up a good amount of room, but it's gorgeous. The most recent update finally added menu control if you use a bluetooth controller. They've been REALLY responding to user feedback on this. Even dumb requests at least get a thoughtful reply. The current special events seems a bit too much for me to try to compete in, but the dailies are enough to keep me busy alongside the career.

Right now, unlike Asphalt 8, it needs an online connection to play. But thankfully, it's not filled with any interstitials or popup ads, just ones you can choose to watch for rewards.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
We've been playing multiplayer games in the office at lunch times over winter, and this week we've been playing Asphalt Legends 9 on the Switch - it's actually really good! As the thread title implies - reminds me of Need for Speed meets Burnout, quite arcadey and fun. It looks decent and I was surprised that with split screen unlocked - multiplayer is essentially free. I remember playing one of the very early Asphalt games on Android, and they've come a long way. Good value for F2P.

I'll have to see if the ResetEra club is joinable from Switch

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
We've been playing multiplayer games in the office at lunch times over winter, and this week we've been playing Asphalt Legends 9 on the Switch - it's actually really good! As the thread title implies - reminds me of Need for Speed meets Burnout, quite arcadey and fun. It looks decent and I was surprised that with split screen unlocked - multiplayer is essentially free. I remember playing one of the very early Asphalt games on Android, and they've come a long way. Good value for F2P.

I'll have to see if the ResetEra club is joinable from Switch

I believe the club is full, but there's only a handful that still play so I'm sure there could be room made. I just got back into the Switch version to start contributing and try to grind for new cars and money. :)

OP
OP
TheChrisGlass

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm still regularly playing on the Android version. No one ever joined the ResetEra club, so I joined another. It's always full, but I usually kick out 2 or 3 people at the end of each season that haven't played all season long.

Not a fan of this second take on the Hacker Event. It's way too grindy. I have to unlock and max out 4 cars to even GET to the new car. I'm just going to MAX the Mazda and be done with it.

The top rank D car should be enough to get some good rewards each week in the Weekly Event, so that'll pay itself back soon enough.

The biggest tip I can give is join a good crew and do the Daily Reward events until you unlocked all the cars and starred up to max. And always do the 3 money races, too. It's the best source of cash once you run out of career races.

And if you didn't notice, the events for the special cars like the VLF have a special 4th goal. There's one for finishing the race, two packs for finishing under a certain time and the 4th one for finishing under a certain time with a certain car. But that one has a + at the end. If you tap on the (i) to see more, you'll see it has a chance to also give you the Special Import piece for that car. And that's the only place you can get those. So even once the cars are starred up and maxed out with the Class Import and Basic Import pieces, you still have to get the Special Import pieces to finish maxing it out.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I've started to play it on the Switch, but I can't seem to get it to play properly handheld. The joycons don't work. I went in to the control options, selected joycons, and it still doesn't work. Playing on the TV with my Pro controller is fine though.

Anyone else had this issue?

Absolutely beautiful game, and it's a lot of fun too.