• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Aspyr has acknowledged that players are currently unable to complete the Switch version of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

The title, which was released for Nintendo's console on June 8, includes a game-breaking crash that occurs after the Basilisk Crash cutscene when landing on Onderon

Aspyr was asked about the issue, which is scheduled to be addressed in an upcoming patch, by a frustrated Twitter user called Daniel Moore.

They messaged Aspyr asking if it was aware that the game can't be completed in its current state.

"Hi, this is a known issue that will be addressed in the next patch," came the official response. "While we cannot provide an ETA at this time, we will definitely let you know when the patch is live."
www.videogameschronicle.com

Aspyr acknowledges there’s no way to complete Star Wars KOTOR II on Switch | VGC

The company says it’s working on a patch to address a game-breaking crash…

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Who wants to bet Limited Run will fuck it up and use this version on the physical edition?

UmbranUndying

Feb 20, 2022
I was gonna get this since I was wanting to go through the KOTOR games again, but I'll wait until the Restored Content DLC comes out before I buy. Sounds like they rushed this one out, sadly.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Suddenly, the heavy too-good-to-be-true discount that I was notified about makes sense.

For real though, if the game can't be completed, they should remove it from sale until they fix the issue.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
That's pretty bad. Hopefully it's patched sooner rather than later. I was considering picking both KOTOR games on Switch up sometime soon. I own them on PC but I mostly played them on Xbox back in the day so I'd prefer native controller support.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I ran into this bug. Super annoying. You can finish it if you're willing to use cheats. There's a cheat menu you can access that allows you to warp into the next section.

Aside from this particular crash there are a million other random crashes. In my play through I would guess I had the game crash at LEAST 10 times. It's brutal.

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
Played it on Xbox in 2004 and I definitely remember it being a buggy mess back then. Obviously the PC version w/ mods has fixed most issues, I wonder if Aspyr used an older build or something, or otherwise re-triggered old spaghetti code bugs in porting it to the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oof. Hopefully they get this sorted quickly.

How's the KotOR 1 Switch port? I've been thinking of picking it up to have it on a portable, but if it also has issues maybe I should just stick to the OG Xbox version via BC...

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
You just gotta love companies telling you in random twitter replies that they are selling you a broken product as if it's no big deal.

MrSpiffing

Oct 30, 2017
Did no one play test the game before releasing it? It crashes at a cutscene not due to some weird combination of events. How did that get missed?

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
Did no one play test the game before releasing it? It crashes at a cutscene not due to some weird combination of events. How did that get missed?

My only two guesses are they they tested in a development/emulation environment that the bug didn't trigger in or... They just completely didn't have people test large swaths of the game.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Did they ever patch the first game to allow you to reduce the size of the combat text taking up a third of the screen like they said they would?

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
I already decided on holding off on this after they announced the actual Sith Lords patch that restores all the cut content wouldn't be coming out until later AND would require you to restart the game on a new save. Not quite sure what's going on over there at Aspyr but probably best to avoid their stuff until it's vetted

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly thought it was gonna be worse based off the title. Thought it was gonna be something like, "we can't complete the development but released it anyways."

FuddyDuddy

Nov 4, 2019
Thought it might be the Ondoran bug. That bug seems really hard to patch, because it can still happen with the restoration mod. KOTOR 2 is just a technical mess.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
instead of Aspyr fixing this one game, It might be easier for every other dev with a game on the Switch to just patch their titles with game breaking bugs, too.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
These the people remaking KOTOR? Lmao, please pick someone different.
lol come on, let's not pretend the original games weren't far, far more busted. They absolutely need to get this fixed before continuing to sell it, but I don't think this really means much in regards to them building a game from scratch.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of Arkham Origins.

Not sure if it was all versions, but the PC version at least was pretty buggy and they came out with a statement specifically to say they weren't going to do any more bug fixes and instead were just going to focus on dlc.

My first playthrough it autosaved after going through a door that didn't load the geometry of the level properly, so every time I restarted it it loaded me falling though the ground. The game only had the one autosave so I had to start over after about 6-8 hours.

KOTOR 2 I haven't touch in years. Even with the content restoration mod and fan patches, I still hit a game breaking bug 20 hours into it (and by then even my oldest save was after the point that caused the issue), and I wasn't enjoying the game enough to replay all of that again.
Someday I might give the Steam version a try since it seemingly has those mods integrated along with controller support I think.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Played it on Xbox in 2004 and I definitely remember it being a buggy mess back then. Obviously the PC version w/ mods has fixed most issues, I wonder if Aspyr used an older build or something, or otherwise re-triggered old spaghetti code bugs in porting it to the Switch.

It wasn't a buggy mess, but there was one thing people needed to do early in the game to ensure the game didn't lock up right at the end. (Not touch a control panel while cloaked)

I personally got hit with that one. The game was fairly good outside of that.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I thought the game was never finished anyways so I don't think buyers are missing much.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I'm...surprised this passed Nintendo's cert.

Does this happen to all players or just in some circumstances?

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I finished KOTOR 2 on PC just now and my idea was to play through it on switch as soon as the DLC came out, but damn. Still please do not sleep on this game, it's stupidly good, in fact finishing it made me hate all of star wars for not being as good or daring as this in it's subject matter

I ran into this bug. Super annoying. You can finish it if you're willing to use cheats. There's a cheat menu you can access that allows you to warp into the next section.

Aside from this particular crash there are a million other random crashes. In my play through I would guess I had the game crash at LEAST 10 times. It's brutal.

How do you access the cheat menu? That sounds neat, I might go for a really quick new playthrough with cheats.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
lol come on, let's not pretend the original games weren't far, far more busted. They absolutely need to get this fixed before continuing to sell it, but I don't think this really means much in regards to them building a game from scratch.
While true, it's still pretty odd to hand a game as high profile as this to a developer that's seemingly only original product is a single VR game, while everything else they've done is ports.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is fucking cursed. And its one of my favorites of all time.

Sigh.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I had the Onderon bug on PC back in the day when it released. Had to console skip to get past it. Absolutely wild it's still around in this build.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I finished KOTOR 2 on PC just now and my idea was to play through it on switch as soon as the DLC came out, but damn. Still please do not sleep on this game, it's stupidly good, in fact finishing it made me hate all of star wars for not being as good or daring as this in it's subject matter

How do you access the cheat menu? That sounds neat, I might go for a really quick new playthrough with cheats.

Click in left stick 3 times

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Did they ever patch the first game to allow you to reduce the size of the combat text taking up a third of the screen like they said they would?
It's notably smaller now, but also, still huge. Definitely better, but it's still far too large and they UI elements that they rearranged to make it the original size are still in their rearranged positions. From what I've seen of the port of KoTOR II, it's been reduced in that game to a single line of text at the top of the screen, and while I'd say that's still kind of oversized, it's a lot better there.

Why would that blame be on them? xD
It wouldn't be entirely their fault, but "let's wait before putting a launch day version of KoTOR II on a cart" is maybe one of the easiest calls they'll ever have to make.