• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
A character can be gay and still want a biological baby, and back then the only option was sex with the opposite sex or an ancient turkey baster. The character can be bi and can certainly be non-hetero in their sexual orientation while having sex for the purpose of procreation. That doesn't mean the character isn't gay.
I don't see why adoption couldn't be possible.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Crossing Eden you're cool generally but you need to stop defending Ubisoft's shit on this, it's really not a good look at all. This whole mess is blatantly homophobic nonsense and incredibly hurtful to us LGBT fans of the game and there really is no excusing it. Like yeah I get that the DLC was written by a different person but in that case it's Ubisoft's responsibility to offer an apology and fix shit, not say "we're sorry you were offended, play episode 3 and maybe we'll retcon the homophobia away lol".

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crossing Eden you're cool generally but you need to stop defending Ubisoft's shit on this, it's really not a good look at all. This whole mess is blatantly homophobic nonsense and incredibly hurtful to us LGBT fans of the game and there really is no excusing it. Like yeah I get that the DLC was written by a different person but in that case it's Ubisoft's responsibility to offer an apology and fix shit, not say "we're sorry you were offended, play episode 3 and maybe we'll retcon the homophobia away lol".
The hell are you on about? Crossing Eden isn't defending this. Pointing out that the lead narrative director from the base game was not apart of the dlc project is not defending. Once again people just love to throw out the 'ubisoft defender' banner.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Isn't Layla's animus capable of pulling DNA from anything? The way I understand it is, you no longer need to be a genetic descendant to use the animus (assuming Ubi retcons that Layla's animus was unique).

It's not about this. It's about the fact that Ezio have a student, a woman named Shao Jun.
If we can choose our gender, it destroy the lore created by the end of the Ezio trilogy.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017

And how do you patch this? Maybe episode 3 will involve the baby in the story...

Oct 25, 2017
A character can be gay and still want a biological baby, and back then the only option was sex with the opposite sex or an ancient turkey baster. The character can be bi and can certainly be non-hetero in their sexual orientation while having sex for the purpose of procreation. That doesn't mean the character isn't gay.

It is so immensely disrespectful to player choice because if the player is in a homosexual relationship (or asexual) then it's pretty safe to assume that they don't want to birth their own child. As a gay woman, I find this so utterly revolting as our sexuality is often seen as a commodity and not as a natural part of ourselves. We are often beaten over the head with demands from men that apparently know what we want better than we do, when all we wish for is to be left alone and allowed to abide by our sexuality unquestioned. Now you have a high profile game suddenly taking that choice away, forcing us into heterosexual intercourse because apparently they have no better story to tell?

To hell with that. That's not a story worth telling, especially not when the game sells itself on its player character being what the player chooses. Between this and Ubi's move with the Epic store and The Division 2, they've assured that they'll never see another cent from me unless this chapter just gets completely wiped.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And how do you patch this? Maybe episode 3 will involve the baby in the story...
At this point you'd have to write Kassandra as coming to explicit terms with her sexuality that you choose, and then her saying she was compelled due the desire of a child, that she tried to suppress who she is/lied to herself but can't stay with Nakatas.

Certainly not a great fix by any means, but would be a narrative way out for her sexuality, can't do the same for her desire to have a baby in general though, that is now always cannon.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Between this and Ubi's move with the Epic store and The Division 2, they've assured that they'll never see another cent from me unless this chapter just gets completely wiped.

I never understood those kind of excessive reaction.
If one guy made a big mistake in one game (and more of this, a DLC) that doesn't mean everybody on ubi are bad people and they should all pay for the awul no choice one writer made us.

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood those kind of excessive reaction.
If one guy made a big mistake in one game (and more of this, a DLC) that doesn't mean everybody on ubi are bad people and they should all pay for the awul no choice one writer made us.

The company operates as a whole - this wasn't just something that one guy slipped under the radar. This had to be pitched, designed, developed, playtested, and approved as game development goes. That it got so far along without even a hint of awareness of what they were doing is inexcusable, and the response they sent Kotaku is infuriatingly blind to the issue at hand. I will not do business with a company that disrespects who I am, who millions of others are, and if they want that business back then they're going to have to do a hell of a lot to prove that they can be trusted to not let something as tone deaf and erasing as this ever happen again.

Maybe you would understand if you had to endure decades of this, begging for table scraps for actual representation in any form of media and having to feel like you're a blight every time something involving your sexuality suddenly swings heterosexual.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im very interested to see what they do with episode 3. Its hard to imagine coming back from this but we'll see. Ubisoft have always took pride in their diversity as a company so its even more puzzling to see something like this come from them.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Im very interested to see what they do with episode 3. Its hard to imagine coming back from this but we'll see. Ubisoft have always took pride in their diversity as a company so its even more puzzling to see something like this come from them.

Seeing reactions on internet, i'm expecting a piece of eden that can do time travel

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I've been out of the loop for a while for this series and I came back to it with Odyssey but I was under the impressions that all of the characters are from the same bloodlines of Assassins (and templars), no? I mean it seems obvious why they need to have a child especially since on the timeline it's a prequel. The first few games made the whole genetics thing a main aspect of the Animus so it's obvious the bloodline is important.

This one actually did a good job explaining why the choices aren't that important as the main character in the future seems to have the power to alter reality (and time) and at the same time it makes the dual protagonist setup works too.

It's more like they have a main canonical story in mind and you can modify some parts of it along the way as you please but the core narrative is their choice. I'm fine with this and I don't feel any outrage for this. You are also free to send them a message and not buy this DLC.

They aren't from the same bloodlines. Ezio, Altair, Connor, are from different bloodlines, and they just all happen to meet in Desmond.

If "the choices aren't that important", don't market the game saying "Hey u can romance whoever u want it's your choice we are going the Bioware way!".

If "they have a main canonical story", don't market the game saying "Hey u can romance whoever u want it's your choice we are going the Bioware way!".

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's not very cool whatsoever. Especially since one of the selling points of this game was definitely the focus on player choice. I haven't actually played it, bit I'm familiar with that much just through marketing and the way everyone's been talking about it. So to go back on something like that in this fashion definitely isn't something I can or would ever want to defend.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They had a child because they wanted a child not because of some necessity to continue the bloodline.
What Kassandra or Alexios wants is not necessarily imported. Certain events must happen. The simulation will find a way to make it happen. There is a point it needs to reach, and characters who believe they have free will end of doing what is required of them. Origins has some extensive monologues that go into this theme. One of the most important monologues is:
Linear continuity is a simulation that allows for variations. Within the linear continuity, there are nodes. Choke points. Moments where algorithms converge the flows of superposed possibilities to a single moment where only one absolute truth is possible. Paths are fluid, continuous. Nodes are static. changeless.
And the wave function collapses the paths into nodes which branch out. Again. and again, and again. And so I wonder. Can you feel the wave collapsing. trying to course correct Desmond's act of defiance? The incoming node needs for the world to end. The algorithms have been carving the flow of possibilities towards that end for over a 100 years now.

It seems likely that Kassandra or Alexios having a child is one of those events that they have no control over. The child is necessary for some reason that isn't clear yet. It is what the Isu call a Node. A fixed event that comes to pass eventually, in some form, no matter how much you fight it.

The lack of player choice could be the DLC team being sloppy. In that case, it is a fair criticism for an RPG to get sloppy like this. I personally think it's not great writing for an RPG to force the protagonist character into a relationship. It was really glaring when The Witcher games did it, or tried to do it in TW3's Heart of Stone DLC. Or it could be a deliberate piece of "You didn't actually think you were in control, did you?" This is a core story theme that appears in both Far Cry and Assassin's Creed. And this is the kicker, I think. Ubisoft aren't like Bioware. Their idea of narrative choice once involved, in Far Cry 2's case, letting players shoot themselves in the head or blow themselves up. There was no option where you didn't kill yourself. (And people thought Bioware were being rude with Mass Effect 3.)

Desmond has a son. A lot of people don't know this because he was never directly featured in any of the games. I kinda wonder if people would have minded as much if Alexios/Kassandra's child was never mentioned in Odyssey and instead popped up in later media, Desmond-style. "Oh, hai, BTW Kassandra has a daughter. She's super important to the plot. And she's 100% canon."

I feel like there's also a bit of a clash because Ubisoft do seem to consider certain things to be canon. Alexios is not canon. Kassandra is also not a blank slate. Bioware protagonists are very blank slate-y. Kassandra has a predefined history, predefined beliefs -- this is evident when she makes remarks about politics and philosophy when you're wandering around the game world. For example, someone who is a believer in the healing power of prayer might dislike that Kassandra trusts medicine over prayer and says as much when you're exploring one of the temples. Kassandra is her own person. Players, via Layla, can nudge her, manipulate her, but they are not the only forces manipulating her. Players are not really in control of her past, and they're not in control of her future. The ending of AC: Odyssey has Kassandra performing actions of her own volition regardless of how the player might feel about them. What they are in control of is the stuff that happens in the middle.

Ubisoft's biggest mistake was talking about romances/relationships in interviews and claiming that you would never be forced into a relationship. One could argue this only applies to the main game, but story DLC would have been planned out long before the game released. There's no way they didn't see this problem coming in some aspect.

Oct 25, 2017
What Kassandra or Alexios wants is not necessarily imported. Certain events must happen. The simulation will find a way to make it happen. There is a point it needs to reach, and characters who believe they have free will end of doing what is required of them. Origins has some extensive monologues that go into this theme. One of the most important monologues is:

It seems likely that Kassandra or Alexios having a child is one of those events that they have no control over. The child is necessary for some reason that isn't clear yet. It is what the Isu call a Node. A fixed event that comes to pass eventually, in some form, no matter how much you fight it.

The lack of player choice could be the DLC team being sloppy. In that case, it is a fair criticism for an RPG to get sloppy like this. I personally think it's not great writing for an RPG to force the protagonist character into a relationship. It was really glaring when The Witcher games did it, or tried to do it in TW3's Heart of Stone DLC. Or it could be a deliberate piece of "You didn't actually think you were in control, did you?" This is a core story theme that appears in both Far Cry and Assassin's Creed. And this is the kicker, I think. Ubisoft aren't like Bioware. Their idea of narrative choice once involved, in Far Cry 2's case, letting players shoot themselves in the head or blow themselves up. There was no option where you didn't kill yourself. (And people thought Bioware were being rude with Mass Effect 3.)

Desmond has a son. A lot of people don't know this because he was never directly featured in any of the games. I kinda wonder if people would have minded as much if Alexios/Kassandra's child was never mentioned in Odyssey and instead popped up in later media, Desmond-style. "Oh, hai, BTW Kassandra has a daughter. She's super important to the plot. And she's 100% canon."

I feel like there's also a bit of a clash because Ubisoft do seem to consider certain things to be canon. Alexios is not canon. Kassandra is also not a blank slate. Bioware protagonists are very blank slate-y. Kassandra has a predefined history, predefined beliefs -- this is evident when she makes remarks about politics and philosophy when you're wandering around the game world. For example, someone who is a believer in the healing power of prayer might dislike that Kassandra trusts medicine over prayer and says as much when you're exploring one of the temples. Kassandra is her own person. Players, via Layla, can nudge her, manipulate her, but they are not the only forces manipulating her. Players are not really in control of her past, and they're not in control of her future. The ending of AC: Odyssey has Kassandra performing actions of her own volition regardless of how the player might feel about them. What they are in control of is the stuff that happens in the middle.

Ubisoft's biggest mistake was talking about romances/relationships in interviews and claiming that you would never be forced into a relationship. One could argue this only applies to the main game, but story DLC would have been planned out long before the game released. There's no way they didn't see this problem coming in some aspect.

This is an awful lot of text to excuse a super shitty plot contrivance.

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I already know about the Nodes and the like but my response was based off what we've been shown so far, you have a baby, not born out of necessity like Kassandra/Alexios was but one born out of a desire to start a family with Darius's son/daughter.

It's been done in a sloppy and offensive way and the lore can't really explain that away. If the kid is an important node have it in the mainline story and explain why it's needed, and if the game isn't going to respect peoples choice about their relationships then maybe it shouldn't have been implemented the way it has been. The fact that the dlc has been split into 3 parts with us being left with this hanging thread has also not helped matters either.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop arguing that lore requires Kassandra to fuck a dude and carry a child. Lore could easily be used to have a Piece of Eden create a child (or alter the DNA of an adopted child) that combines Kass' and Darius' bloodlines if they really felt the need to do that at all.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
This is some grade A bullshit from Ubisoft. I'm a big fan of the direction they took with the main game, and felt the player choice was a step in the right direction. But this just sets that all back and then some. Astonished that this somehow made it to the first draft, let alone to release.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
This is some grade A bullshit from Ubisoft. I'm a big fan of the direction they took with the main game, and felt the player choice was a step in the right direction. But this just sets that all back and then some. Astonished that this somehow made it to the first draft, let alone to release.

I f the next game don't allow you to choose your gender (like every game before AC8) would it be a set back?

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
How is it hard to understand that the lore doesn't mean shit? I am tired of being erased by the straights.
I just imagine how anyone playtesting this bullshit didn't complain, it's disgustingly homophobic.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
How is it hard to understand that the lore doesn't mean shit? I am tired of being erased by the straights.
I just imagine how anyone playtesting this bullshit didn't complain, it's disgustingly homophobic.

And this is where i do not stand.
I can understand truly you feel hurt.
But i can't imagine the writer to be a 4chan or a trump-guy secretly plotting for this to hurt the LG community.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
But i can't imagine the writer to be a 4chan or a trump-guy secretly plotting for this to hurt the LG community.
I'd imagine it was probably more along the lines of " I'm straight and i want to have kids, this would make me happy, lets put it in!" In other words, I doubt they gave a thought to the LG players and the fact that a lot of people really DONT secretly want to settle down with the right guy/girl.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Then AC story is doomed.

Lol, because no other RPG has ever handled these issues in any successful way.

What a ridiculous thing to state in a universe where there are literally magic apples, space aliens, and people can leap from 200 foot in the air and land in a pile of straw with no harm.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Lol, because no other RPG has ever handled these issues in any successful way.

What a ridiculous thing to state in a universe where there are literally magic apples, space aliens, and people can leap from 200 foot in the air and land in a pile of straw with no harm.

so you wouldn't mind if in AC China you can choose between Shao Jun and another guy?

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
so you wouldn't mind if in AC China you can choose between Shao Jun and another guy?
Wouldn't mind in the slightest, watch me solve your precious lore in 20sec.

Let's say,
-Shao Jun is a secret twin separated at birth from a brother.
-She is taken in by assassin's while the brother is raised by templars.
-After you choose gender you then have 1-2 playable moments of their different youths.
-Then you see her travel and meet Ezio, while the brother has some other cool templar event.
-Quickly after this their paths meet up for some reason and are thrust into working on the same side.
-The other one who you don't play dies, in an event which paints the world in grey.
-New morally grey protagonist is free to side more assassin or templar from this point.
-Most of the game is here.
-And be gay without kids if they choose.
-The end.

Take my money.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Wouldn't mind in the slightest, watch me solve your precious lore in 20sec.

Let's say,
-Shao Jun is a secret twin separated at birth from a brother.
-She is taken in by assassin's while the brother is raised by templars.
-After you choose gender you then have 1-2 playable moments of their different youths.
-Then you see her travel and meet Ezio, while the brother has some other cool templar event.
-Quickly after this their paths meet up for some reason and are thrust into working on the same side.
-The other one who you don't play dies, in an event which paints the world in grey.
-New morally grey protagonist is free to side more assassin or templar from this point.
-Most of the game is here.
-And be gay without kids if they choose.
-The end.

Take my money.

So EACH new entry will have to be with siblings?

There's already been a China game, how is this being used as an argument against gender choice in future games?

that China game hint a lot about a bigger adventure.

idlethreats

Oct 28, 2017
Well, fuck. This was going to be my first Assassin's Creed game specifically because I wanted to play an open world game with a lesbian protagonist. This is infuriating and heartbreaking.

Also Ubisoft usually is so good about including LGBTQ people in their games, I don't understand how this literally passed everyone in the chain and no one had a complaint about it. Baffling.
Is it all just lip service? You're telling me NOT A SINGLE LGBT PERSON at Ubisoft saw this DLC and the "Growing Up" trophy and said, "Um, y'know hey, maybe forcing LGBT characters to become straight isn't the best look?"

No one?
AT ALL?
I'm speculating, but probably the queer folks who worked on this game/dlc either were either so far down the ladder that they had no say whatsoever in this narrative decision, or they were in a position to speak up, did so, and were overruled/ignored by people above them. They might have tried to raise the issue but were worried that really pushing it might jeopardize their working relationships/jobs. My (very queer, feminist) wife works for a large game studio and as a minority in the company (because of gender, sexual orientation, race/ethnicity, etc.), her political capital is often so limited and she has to be so careful how she spends it. It's exhausting. My guess is that the queer folks who worked on Odyssey 1) saw this coming, 2) tried to warn people as best they could, 3) are seething about how this preventable this backlash was and 4) can't say shit about it publicly unless they want to risk their job. The tweet from the narrative lead on the main game really makes me think this is the case - she apologizes and just states she didn't work on this dlc; I'd bet anything that she's not happy about this narrative development (or else, why wouldn't she defend it in her response?) but can't publicly badmouth it because of how unprofessional that would be. All she can do is try to distance herself from the mess.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
The DLC was made by a completely separate team, so you'd think there would be some form of communication between them and the ones that worked on the main game regarding player agency over certain aspects of the narrative - most especially romantic entanglements, which was HEAVILY marketed leading up to the game's release. You'd also think they would make the utmost effort to reach out and consult with their LGBT employees about what they think of forcing heterosexuality in a game that they decided to market as highly encouraging of player agency in the romance department, regardless of gender, and allowing us to develop the misthios's sexuality.

I mean, shit, even if the player does choose any and all things against the forced romance in the game, the love interest still comes back and there are still heavy implications of the misthios being in love with them - and yeah, the unavoidable animatronic baby. :/ It's a slap in the face to anyone who expected to have some form of agency over the same shit they had control over in the main game; but it's an especially bigger slap in the face for LGBT gamers, many of whom already have to deal with compulsory heterosexuality IRL. To have that shit shoved in our face after touting "player choice!" and "you can be gay/lesbian/bi/straight in this game!" is equal parts disheartening and enraging.

I'm sure Ubisoft doesn't mean to be nefarious, but the major disconnect between the marketing, the player agency afforded in the main game, and the subsequent release of a DLC that robs us of it - shows a case of oversight and glaring ignorance.

Last edited:

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Great, I played Kass as aromantic/asexual but I'm now forced into a relationship and to have a kid.
Thx a bunch Ubisoft!

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
No, so long as they don't claim that player choice is something they care about in terms of romantic partners or the option to have no partner at all. This is what the creative director said before the game released:

"Since the story is choice-driven, we never force players in romantic situations they might not be comfortable with," Dumont says. "Players decide if they want to engage with characters romantically. I think this allows everybody to build the relationships they want, which I feel respects everybody's roleplay style and desires."
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey developers talk same-sex romance options - EW

You don't get to market your game saying that and then turn around and say "well the lore demanded we override the players choices". If you write the story then the story isn't some inconvenient rulebook you're forced to follow and have no way of getting around.

Nobody complained that Altair had a child with a woman, nobody complained that Ezio was a ladies man, nobody complained that Desmond, Edward Kenway, Evie Fry, Jacob Fry, Adwale, Arno, Connor or Shay Cormac were all hetero because the game never tells the player they have a say. Odyssey pretended the player had a say. The devs decided early on that who the player character was romantically interested in wasn't going to matter to their game and that they'd leave it up to the player and now they've just trampled all over it by forcing a choice on the player.

To put it simply, if Odyssey wanted Alexios/Kassandra to be hetero and have a child they shouldn't have pretended otherwise.

Ok but some here are implying that if the next game won't allow them to choose the gender or the relationships, it will be a step back and so a "no"...
I agree about Odyssey, i'm talking about next games.

Albatross

Nov 11, 2017
There's a second Ubisoft statement (from the Eurogamer article) which I don't think it was posted here:

"We don't want to reveal too much right now, but we have always tried to keep the story inclusive of people of all sexual orientations, and players will be able to choose their motivations behind this particular narrative depending on their sexual preferences

Can't wait to buy the 3rd dlc to choose the motivation for which my lesbian Kassandra was explicitly shown falling in love and kissing with boring-face-dude.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
There's a second Ubisoft statement (from the Eurogamer article) which I don't think it was posted here:

Can't wait to buy the 3rd dlc to choose the motivation for which my lesbian Kassandra was explicitly shown falling in love and kissing with boring-face-dude.

Hater again? You don't have to ""buy" the third dlc... It's arc sales not chapter

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

That's technically already in the game though (of a sort), with a picture that was posted earlier - you can either 'choose' to have the baby because you love the dude/lady (which, you've known for like 3-6 hours at most, and the guy, at least is not at all charismatic compared to some romance-able characters in the main game), or because you wanted a kid/a bloodline.

But there are several problems with that, ranging from continuity, to sexuality, to wanting/not wanting kids.

But the main egregious thing is the sudden outpouring of 'I really like/love you' that Kassandra's dialogue has, even if you don't want to get involved with him.

Last edited:

KalEl814

Nov 3, 2017
out about Boston
This. Check your priorities.

This DLC and its take on people role playing Kassandra / Alexios as queer are bad. Barfing a plot spoiler in the thread title is also bad. People reacting to that as a drive by post doesn't mean they're not pissed about the writing. Come on, now.

Then AC story is doomed.

What? No. This is a weird take. It's possoble to respect player choice and still provide a solid narrative.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Ok but some here are implying that if the next game won't allow them to choose the gender or the relationships, it will be a step back and so a "no"...
I agree about Odyssey, i'm talking about next games.

I actually deleted that reply because I'd misunderstood what you & the person you quoted were saying but I guess you'd started replying before I did it.

If Ubisoft want to go back to a single defined protag and write a narrative that requires them to be hetero & a parent then that's up to them, providing they don't say otherwise pre-release. If people don't want to play those games for those reasons then that's up to them.

Since the Animus no longer needs a direct bloodline to work then I don't see why Ubisoft should feel the need to establish these things anymore. Crafting an RPG where the player choice matters in terms of their character's personality necessitates the writers having less to define about those characters. They can't have it both ways.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the only real solution is to come out and say "Kassandra and Alexios are canonically bisexual, every one of their possible relationships is canon."

Is it a bit late to do this? Sure. Would it suck for the people who played their character in a very specific way? Absolutely. But, in the end, there's really no other option other than altering the storyline of DLC they've already released. At least it could be chalked up as a win for bisexual representation in hindsight, not the worst outcome.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like the only real solution is to come out and say "Kassandra and Alexios are canonically bisexual, every one of their possible relationships is canon."

Is it a bit late to do this? Sure. Would it suck for the people who played their character in a very specific way? Absolutely. But, in the end, there's really no other option other than altering the storyline of DLC they've already released. At least it could be chalked up as a win for bisexual representation in hindsight, not the worst outcome.
That would open them up to false advertising, were they said again and again that players were able to make a character that could be straight, bi, gay, lesbian or ace. I suspect the only reason that they aren't being done for that at the moment is technically the DLC is a seperate product.