• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Horse

• Assassin’s Creed

Votes: 128 15.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 336 40.9%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 83 10.1%
  • The Witcher 3

Votes: 50 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 17 2.1%
  • MGSV

Votes: 66 8.0%
  • Shadow of the Colossus

Votes: 141 17.2%

• Total voters

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In every sense of the word they abandoned realism for control and QoL and that's why the horses in the last two ACs feel so good.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I disagree. Not that it is an aspect of the game that I care much about, but Odyssey´s horse felt like a vast downgrade coming right from RDR2.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Buell is best, but the horse in Odyssey is fucking hysterical

You could jump the horse off a mountain and he gets up like nothing

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck no. That thing feels like a motorcycle with legs. What's the point of a horse if it steers like a robot

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
For the longest time this was happening to me until I read a tooltip that said if you keep running in a straight line while calling Phobos, the horse will catch up with you and you'll automatically mount it.

You don't even have to hold the button, just keep running in a straight line

ah ya. been a few months since i played it

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
In every sense of the word they abandoned realism for control and QoL and that's why the horses in the last two ACs feel so good.

Yep, Odyssey's horse is the farthest thing away from 'realism', but I freaking love how I can damn near make it run up a 90* angle or drop down 200 ft and not have it die.

The only thing the horse can't do is swim (or at least, you can't use the horse to quickly swim across water) .. hoping they patch that in with a future update too.

OP
OP
-JD-

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Most functional horse and that's what I want from a horse in a game that I play for 70-100 hours. I wouldn't want any of that simulation, realistic crap when my only purpose is to travel from point A and B conveniently without fighting my horse.

The only thing I wish it did was have the ability to sprint or trot inside city, a lot of times you want to get away from alerted enemies but the horse wouldn't go any faster and you can go faster than it by just running on your own. I guess inside the city you can just climb a building but when you are on the outskirts it still counts as "inside the city" and your horse speed is limited still. This is where I'd want the ability for the horse to go faster.

Yes thank you. After 60 hours of playing the game I don't want to fight against any of the mechanics. I understand that for a game like rdr2 where the horse is integral to the experience you can accept certain eccentricities that go along with the realism, but in most other games horses are a tertiary mechanic that should just work without hassle and provide a convenience more than anything else.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It is such a relief to play AC after RDR where you don't have to constantly mash a button to ride fast.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2 horses and traveling are a damn nightmare and so slow and boring. I get it's realistic, but wtf. It's not fun. Love how fast paced everything is in AC odyssey including the horse especially

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Surprised AC:O's horse is so high in the polls. I pretty much never used it since it didn't really feel all that much faster than moving on foot... and it was a whole lot clunkier too, epsecially since the terrain rarely felt suitable for it. Fast travel also severely undercuts the usefulness of horses... so personally, I hafta vote for Shadow of the Colossus.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It was RDR1, nothing ever came close, until RDR2. Now that's the new king, it's not even a question...

But if you are just asking for more "whats the most fun horse to ride" it'd probably be something less realistic.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Ahahahaahahahahaha, RDR2 laughed, and it's not even close, the closest you can get apart from RDR is Agro and even that is light years behind in terms of animal behavior, movement and overall realism.
RDR had the best horses in a video game by the time it was out, in RDR2 they are just unbelievable, they're so well made that it really gets crazy, the tech just can't be matched.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree from a gameplay perspective the ACO horse is great. Phobos cannot poo on command like the actual best horse, D-Horse.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Not as cool as giant robot horse
p8L943Y.jpg

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah nah, to hell with Phobos, as it's already been mentionned the damn trot near settlements just made me want to go on foot most of the time, unless I needed to cover a really large distance.

For story reason I prefered the horse in RDR2.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I loved it in Origins, so amazingly simple. Press the analog stick where you want the horse to go. Done.

All this crazy shit with double tapping A or holding buttons or whatever in these other games, pointless!

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think RDR1 had a more useful horse than 2, but I might be misremembering.

Where's that gif/video of somebody using the cinematic view for RDR2 only to see their horse dramatically crash into another?

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
But if you are just asking for more "whats the most fun horse to ride" it'd probably be something less realistic.

Funny, I totally disagree with this. RDR2 horses are infinitely more fun to control and interesting to watch over the course of 60-100 hours than stuff like AC, The Witcher, MGSV, BOTW, etc. I'm all for highly responsive controls which is why I'll kill RDR2 for how it feels on foot, but the "fun" of RDR2's horses is a direct result of how incredibly detailed and nuanced they are. Because not only are they more realistic, with a better presence in the world as a companion, aggressor, or simply a roaming animal, they also FEEL better to control due to a wider variety of turning and strafing movements, on top of a more detailed animation rig. AND because of Rockstar's consistent and detailed physics engine, they also feel more grounded in the environment than these other games.

I guess for players into the completely consequence free, effortless direction Ubisoft is taking everything in, they won't be swayed. To me it's lifeless without a bit of effort.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Funny, I totally disagree with this. RDR2 horses are infinitely more fun to control and interesting to watch over the course of 60-100 hours than stuff like AC, The Witcher, MGSV, BOTW, etc. I'm all for highly responsive controls which is why I'll kill RDR2 for how it feels on foot, but the "fun" of RDR2's horses is a direct result of how incredibly detailed and nuanced they are. Because not only are they more realistic, with a better presence in the world as a companion, aggressor, or simply a roaming animal, they also FEEL better to control due to a wider variety of turning and strafing movements, on top of a more detailed animation rig. AND because of Rockstar's consistent and detailed physics engine, they also feel more grounded in the environment than these other games.

I guess for players into the completely consequence free, effortless direction Ubisoft is taking everything in, they won't be swayed. To me it's lifeless without a bit of effort.
Oh I 100% agree. But I assume most gamers want horses that control like motorcycles cause its more forgiving and easier.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
D Horse is so powerful. Hit that sprint and hold the fuck on. I suspect he may have more than 1 horsepower.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
RDR has the best looking and animated horses.

AC: Origins/Odyssey both have the most functional horse in terms of ease of use and the ability to travel on the road and just go there without having to worry about controlling the horse, it's SUCH a life saver and more games need to do that.

SOTC's horse, Argo, was the most unique one and had the most personality imo, also I loved all the different "tricks" you can do while riding it,

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The answer is Shadow of the Colossus.

Haven't played the PS4 remake, but if it's generally close to the PS2 and PS3 HD versions, then it's also the best.

Agro feels like you're controlling the rider rather than the horse itself, which goes a long way in creating a believable horse-riding experience, rather than a "this may as well be a motorcycle" experience

In SotC, you can have Agro rear back on their hind legs then go straight into a quickly accelerating run. You can stand up in SotC and hang off the sides of the horse. There's a quick turn around, there's a quick stop with fantastic slide animation.

also: you can HOLD a button to keep Agro at top speed, whereas almost every other game seems hell bent on making you continually tap a damn button to keep the horse at top speed which is horrible. SotC wins by default.

RDR2 definitely comes close though (RDR1 never did) because while the game generally has poor controls and responsiveness, the horse riding is relatively good, and all the details R* pumped into the horse interaction and abilities, along with the consistent detailed physics of the game world, go a long way in creating a believable "i'm riding on a living sentient thing" experience. Way better than RDR1's static automatons masquerading as horses

Oct 27, 2017
It was alright since you didn't really have to worry or care about it. RDR2's horses are far and away the best. Love controlling them, and I definitely got attached to my horse.

The "Thank you" scene really got me.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Boggles my mind how anyone can say Phobos is the best "horse". They put barely any effort into making it feel like the actual animal and just focused on making it the most generic feeling and responsive mode of transport possible.

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I love AC:O, but when I booted it up after finishing RDR2, the horse animations made me visibly cringe.

In terms of utility and gameplay, though, it is great to be able to loot from horseback amongst other things.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand the net benefit of having the realistic horse physics in rdr2. Just makes the game harder to play.

It's the reason I gave up on RDR (and why I quit SotC both on the PS2 and the remake). Realistic horse control just sucks the fun out of a game for me.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Some serious exaggeration in here about how hard the horses in RDR are to control. RDR 1's in particular was not difficulty or unwieldy at all.

I think the on foot controls are terrible like many but I neverthought the horses were an issue.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Boggles my mind how anyone can say Phobos is the best "horse". They put barely any effort into making it feel like the actual animal and just focused on making it the most generic feeling and responsive mode of transport possible.
I mean, if that is what they seek in a video game horse than Phobos really is the best, right?

"Most realistic" is one way to interpret the word best, but the OP mostly talks about ease of play. So there I feel there isn't really a wrong answer here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

If we really are getting some kind of NVMe solution for storage in the new consoles, that means incredibly fast loading in of assets. Which means, since we get a little super powery with our Assassins now, that I want super speed upgrades for plain old running. F using a horse. I can eventually take no fall damage...lemme be the Flash while I'm at it.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
If you've beaten RDR2 and didn't vote for it in this thread there's something wrong with you

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I mean, if that is what they seek in a video game horse than Phobos really is the best, right?

"Most realistic" is one way to interpret the word best, but the OP mostly talks about ease of play. So there I feel there isn't really a wrong answer here.

At that point why even call it a horse, the word is completely irrelevant. By that logic you might as well say the neon run in Infamous Second Son is the best horse.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 is on another level. Nothing comes close.

Not really a horse, but the mounts in Horizon Zero Dawn are great!

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
RDR series had the best horses. 1 was probably the best because it didn't go overly realistic like 2 did.

BOTW horses were so shite that I never rode those things. It didn't help that they didn't teleport to my nearest location when I needed one. "Oh I traversed a mountain and did all this stuff but I can't ride because my horse is back at the valley". Gave up using horses after that.

Witcher: horse was dookey but at least the horse followed the main roads with minimal input. It did however have the best quest a horse could ever have in the dlc.

Agro: MFing Agro. Fuck this horse, makes fighting the colossi more difficult at times. He'd probably be amazing if he wasn't the product of some crazy early 00s control layout. I played the PS2, PS3 and remastered game. I still hate how he handles. Story wise, he's a good horse tho.