Assassin’s Creed Odyssey |OT| Ἄνδρα ἢ γυναῖκα μοι ἔννεπε, Μοῦσα

Which character are you playing as??

• Total voters

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
I played this for 15 hrs when it first came out and then drifted off for some reason, maybe the military shenanigans at the beginning.

I decided to pick it up again last night and I’ve already put another 7 hrs in. It’s a remarkable achievement in an open world game. The sheer scope and detail of everything is truly amazing. Absolutely beautiful on the 1X/4K. And it’s fun. Great game.

I’m not a completionist, and i see that there are 3 different main quest lines. For me, the Family One is what I’m concentrating on, and I may only finish that. Is that considered the “main” main quest?

Fantastic game.
The family story line is the "main" quest. I think the endings of the other two story quest chains are better, as well as offer some of the best content in the game. It doesn't take much work to finish the other two story lines if you finish the main one first. I highly recommend beating all three if you aren't burnt out.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Man this game is immense. I still have story stuff to do in Athens, and I've already hit 32 hours. Game is great, though. I'm actually really liking the mercenary system. They've caused some super chaotic battles when they've shown up at random lol

Is there a preferred order to completing the three main questlines? A friend has told me family quest first, then Atlantis, then the cult.

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
Man this game is immense. I still have story stuff to do in Athens, and I've already hit 32 hours. Game is great, though. I'm actually really liking the mercenary system. They've caused some super chaotic battles when they've shown up at random lol

Is there a preferred order to completing the three main questlines? A friend has told me family quest first, then Atlantis, then the cult.
I think that is the intended order, but I did Cult before Atlantis and I didn't even realize I had done it out of order. I think there is like a 1 second flash of a scene from the Atlantis ending in the Cult ending, which is why people say to do them in that order.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I got burnt out on this game when I first started; just open world fatigue after plowing through RDR2, Spider-Man and God of War in a relatively short time frame. Well my Internet was down last night so I figured, OK, let's hop back into ancient Greece and have some jolly sea-faring adventures. Turns out AC Odyssey doesn't work in offline mode on uPlay (or at least it wouldn't for me). Is there some way to allow that so if I lose internet again, I can actually play the products I've legally purchased? I ended up playing Firewatch instead (because Steam is perfectly content to let you play games offline), and it's quite charming.

Rex_DX

Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I got burnt out on this game when I first started; just open world fatigue after plowing through RDR2, Spider-Man and God of War in a relatively short time frame. Well my Internet was down last night so I figured, OK, let's hop back into ancient Greece and have some jolly sea-faring adventures. Turns out AC Odyssey doesn't work in offline mode on uPlay (or at least it wouldn't for me). Is there some way to allow that so if I lose internet again, I can actually play the products I've legally purchased? I ended up playing Firewatch instead (because Steam is perfectly content to let you play games offline), and it's quite charming.
I believe Uplay has an offline mode which you can set to default when it starts if you want. Not sure if it plays nice with Steam’s offline mode etc. though.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I believe Uplay has an offline mode which you can set to default when it starts if you want. Not sure if it plays nice with Steam’s offline mode etc. though.
I did that and was running Uplay in offline mode at the time. Wouldn't let me open Odyssey without connecting to online functions. Is there a way to disable that within AC Odyssey, or is it just a "you can't play this offline, sorry" sort of deal. Cause that's kind of a bummer (I'm usually connected to the Internet, but it's Comcast, so outages happen from time to time).

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
The family story line is the "main" quest. I think the endings of the other two story quest chains are better, as well as offer some of the best content in the game. It doesn't take much work to finish the other two story lines if you finish the main one first. I highly recommend beating all three if you aren't burnt out.
God info, thanks

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
I did that and was running Uplay in offline mode at the time. Wouldn't let me open Odyssey without connecting to online functions. Is there a way to disable that within AC Odyssey, or is it just a "you can't play this offline, sorry" sort of deal. Cause that's kind of a bummer (I'm usually connected to the Internet, but it's Comcast, so outages happen from time to time).
That seems weird because I know you can play on other platforms (PS4 and Xbox) without being online. I lose internet occasionally to weather and it just pops up saying you won't have access to network features like photos and the store without online. But I can still play.

Rex_DX

Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
It’s probably something dumb like you have to be online when you enable offline mode so the game can do a last minute license check (basically you have to magically predict the outage).

Not sure if that’s exactly accurate but I bet it’s something like that. I have Comcast too and feel your pain.

Delphine

Mar 30, 2018
France

Is the Hades DLC out yet? I keep looking at the PSN Store and nothing... :(

I just checked and I don't see it in my PSN Store yet either. I however see it as a new addon when I check the store ingame, but I can't get it, it says it's unavailable at the moment.

EDIT: Ok so apparently there's a tiny problem with the PS4 availability, they're working on it.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
New DLC is up on EU PSN, 6.67 GB

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
The hype video is great, can't wait to try this out this weekend (or sooner if I can find the time!).

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously? I have rarely seen a video so spoilerish... I recommend not to watch it.

All right.
Seeing Phoïbé again is really a pinch in the heart. I also saw that Brasidas is there, which is really a good thing.

Curious to see what the area will be for episode 3
To be fair it is for a DLC that takes place after the game and is coming out almost a year after the game did. So spoilers are pretty expected I'd say .....

Delphine

Mar 30, 2018
France
In case people were still wondering, the PS4 issue has been solved!

I managed to download the DLC just fine now, sadly I won't be able to play it before a couple of days, but at least it's there waiting for me to have some free time!

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to impressions on this

Haven't had the chance to play even episode 1 yet. Was hoping by the time all three are out I could jump in and it'd feel like a full-blown sequel. Guess that depends on how lengthy it ends up being.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Dystopian America
Looking forward to impressions on this

Haven't had the chance to play even episode 1 yet. Was hoping by the time all three are out I could jump in and it'd feel like a full-blown sequel. Guess that depends on how lengthy it ends up being.
They each have a lot of content if that's what you're interested in. As well as their own maps, each made up of three small regions. So far Episode 2 seems very similar to the last episode in terms of content. Only it takes place in Hades instead of the more heavenly atmosphere of Elysium from Ep.1.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
I’m not super down with where the new DLC starts. Feels like something that should have ended the previous dlc and not a challenge to face when you jump back in after a month off.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
First quest I picked up pissed me off for a hot second at the end.

They brought Phoibe back and have a pretty lengthy quest chain with her only to kill her again

They bring her back again but goddamn why bother with the fake out

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
just finished it. all in all, i liked it. did feel significantly shorter than any other episode, and the Underworld wasn't that interesting visually, but i guess it's intended.
cant disagree with
the criticism of the fake out with Phoebe. felt unnecessary.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I think almost everything about episode 2 is a downgrade from episode 1. The main "quest" is just more mercenaries with a handful of side quests that aren't super interesting outside maybe 1 or 2 bits and the story is wrapped up so quick that it just doesn't seem all that interesting. The zone is ugly as it gets when compared to Elysium which is a shame.

I'm a little letdown that we have to wait another 6 weeks for the final episode since this one was such a disappointment for me.

There's also no real resolution to
Poseidon and Hades' bets

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i was under the impression the underworld would look way cooler than this. thought it'd be a riff on elysium's ancient sci fi motif but this is more brown than OG asscreed 3

what a buzzkill tbh. but i only put in an hour or two , i'll see where it goes.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if its just my mind playing tricks on me, but after the last patch (and DLC2 download) it feels like the initial load etc is a bit faster than it was before.

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
i was under the impression the underworld would look way cooler than this. thought it'd be a riff on elysium's ancient sci fi motif but this is more brown than OG asscreed 3

what a buzzkill tbh. but i only put in an hour or two , i'll see where it goes.

When I saw that the 2nd DLC was going to be the dark side of the underworld I knew that it was gonna be decisive for people after the brightness and fantastic color work of Elysium. I almost wonder if they should have just went with more reds and fire over the dull browns they chose to go with.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's you. It does seem to be a bit quicker. Finally.
I am on a PS4 Pro w/ an external USB SSD. Have had the game on the same SSD since day 1 but since yesterday it's feeling a fair few seconds quicker to reach the main menu from before. The in-game load seem marginally better but not as notable as the main menu one's.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Man, a powered and engraved up Rush Assassination ability is just freaking incredible. Takes out 5 guys within seconds and counts as stealth kill (auto loot) to boot.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Playing through the base game and loving it.

Quick question: if I kill all of the cultists that are exposed (Medusa symbol on map), will I automatically work towards the end of that storyline? Do some of the inner circle require additional detective work, or will all of them get eventually exposed on the map while playing through Family mainline plot?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through the base game and loving it.

Quick question: if I kill all of the cultists that are exposed (Medusa symbol on map), will I automatically work towards the end of that storyline? Do some of the inner circle require additional detective work, or will all of them get eventually exposed on the map while playing through Family mainline plot?
Some you will encounter as part of the story, for some you will get a clue or two as part of your quests but for the rest of the clues you will need to do extra detective work based on the clues.

Some, you'll just run into the world without even realizing that. For example, I was in a city and just running around. Suddenly noticed one NPC got the "Hold X to critical assisinate" message pop up when I ran past it. It caught my eye because the game doesn't do that for every NPC, only for potential hostiles (soldiers, hunters, mercs etc) so I quick saved and assassinated that person .. turned out it was one of the cultist ... I just killed a cultist with zero clues and 100% luck.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Some you will encounter as part of the story, for some you will get a clue or two as part of your quests but for the rest of the clues you will need to do extra detective work based on the clues.

Some, you'll just run into the world without even realizing that. For example, I was in a city and just running around. Suddenly noticed one NPC got the "Hold X to critical assisinate" message pop up when I ran past it. It caught my eye because the game doesn't do that for every NPC, only for potential hostiles (soldiers, hunters, mercs etc) so I quick saved and assassinated that person .. turned out it was one of the cultist ... I just killed a cultist with zero clues and 100% luck.
Aha. Great info, thanks. Hopefully not too much detective work. But I don’t care, either way. Definitely my favorite AC game after 26 hrs of play.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
I think almost everything about episode 2 is a downgrade from episode 1. The main "quest" is just more mercenaries with a handful of side quests that aren't super interesting outside maybe 1 or 2 bits and the story is wrapped up so quick that it just doesn't seem all that interesting. The zone is ugly as it gets when compared to Elysium which is a shame.

I'm a little letdown that we have to wait another 6 weeks for the final episode since this one was such a disappointment for me.
Isn't that a good thing? A different DLC from the previous one? In terms of graphic design and more focus on the plot instead? I haven't started it yet, and I may be disappointed too, but I guess they want to differentiate them. The split into 3 episodes tends to frustrate players who want immediate answers.
I admit, if in the Blood & Wine extension (Witcher 3), the first part stopped in front of Dettlaff with a fade to black before fighting him for the first time, it would have pissed me off.

Last edited:

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I see that the recommended level for the Atlantis DLC triggering side quest is 52. Is that a level that is reasonable to expect to be at by Family quest line’s end? Or at least after finishing The Legacy of the Fitst Blade?

I know that you can use a preset level 52 character, but I’d like to use my own.

NewDust

Oct 25, 2017
I see that the recommended level for the Atlantis DLC triggering side quest is 52. Is that a level that is reasonable to expect to be at by Family quest line’s end? Or at least after finishing The Legacy of the Fitst Blade?

I know that you can use a preset level 52 character, but I’d like to use my own.
You can start the Atlantis DLC at level 28, so I wouldn't worry about your level.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Dystopian America
Finished Episode 2 of Fate of Atlantis today.
I enjoyed it overall, but some of the combat mechanics they're introducing now are just annoying. Rifts that you need to activate to damage enemies? Lame. And good lord the final boss of this episode was irritating too. Not difficult, but come on, I'm level 98. Just let me bulldoze everything.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I finished the main story in Episode 2 without completing some side quests and areas.Can i return somehow?

Btw i like it much more than Episode 1.A bit shorter though

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
Aha. Great info, thanks. Hopefully not too much detective work. But I don’t care, either way. Definitely my favorite AC game after 26 hrs of play.
Some of the cultists are tied to the main story line. Some are only exposed by doing a side quest in a certain region (a good number are tied to side quests). It's not difficult to find all of them if you put in the time however.

I finished the main story in Episode 2 without completing some side quests and areas.Can i return somehow?

Btw i like it much more than Episode 1.A bit shorter though
I think if you open the world map and hold the Square button (or whatever button for your controller) you can return to Elysium and the Underworld. There should be an icon in the bottom left corner indicating this on the world map if you can't figure out which button to hold.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think if you open the world map and hold the Square button (or whatever button for your controller) you can return to Elysium and the Underworld. There should be an icon in the bottom left corner indicating this on the world map if you can't figure out which button to hold.
Thanks that worked

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished the main story after a shit ton of hours. The world is ridiculously huge but I think I've covered nearly every inch of it now. I really enjoyed it but it did start to feel repetitive after a while and my completionist nature had me racing from one question mark to the next to wrap things up by the end. This has easily been my favorite AC though and the one I've invested the most amount of time in. The Atlantis trailer sold me on the season pass so I'm looking forward to that.

It should've been so obvious that it was Aspasia, but somehow it didn't occur to me. I mercilessly killed every cult member I came across, other than Deimos, and wasn't expecting to face any dilemma while on my way to confront her. It must have taken me at least 10 minutes to decide whether to kill her or not, but I let her live... and I'm still feeling conflicted about it. In the moment her nice little speech swayed me and letting her live seemed more interesting, but I also feel like she's a master liar and I just totally got played like everyone else she's manipulated lol. I got the impression that she's the origin of the Templars though so it seemed like she was meant to live. Alexios also may have kissed her. He was supposed to only romance the dudes but I've found that he has a mind of his own and no self-control. Ugh I feel like I betrayed Phoibe. ;_;