• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
Received my copy from amazon yesterday and its been fantastic honestly. I love it. This is a great step up from Origins. Playing in Exploration mode because I love how it played in Origins.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Never thought I'd say this but is there any way to spare some of the cultists? I just unlocked one whose text mentions that he seems forced to join the cult due to threats to his family, and his name is like "Skylax the Fair". He doesn't seem bad... ._.
Wait, Skylax the leader of Euboea? He and his cronies attacked me on sight in the streets of Chalkis. I remember his description mentioning him pretending to be an OK ruler but actually being corrupt or something.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Wait, Skylax the leader of Euboea? He and his cronies attacked me on sight in the streets of Chalkis. I remember his description mentioning him pretending to be an OK ruler but actually being corrupt or something.
Yeah I think so. I misremembered, he joined the cult because he lost his wife and child and the Cult promised he would see them again. Not quite as sympathetic as I remembered, but he's still kinda a victim I guess. It'd be nice if you could de-convert some of the cultists instead of having to killing them all. You can recruit some of the mercenaries, after all.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
I discovered he was a Cultist by complete accident. A legendary soldier I wanted to recruit knocked his head on a table when I spartan kicked him and died rather than getting KO'd, after spending 20 minutes carefully taking out everyone else in his fort. So I took it upon myself to destabilise the region and then assassinate the leader out of spite and hand the reign over to the Athenians. What a pleasant surprise to find the dude was also a cultist dirtbag!

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so I did The Lost Tale of Greece called Divine Intervention and I liked very much how it put the spotlight in one of the lesser known female figures in greek myths and her "acts of rebellion" against her father and society but...

If you say that she is just a normal woman trying to make you believe she is Athena she kind of smirks and stays around BUT if you claim that she IS Athena herself (with dramatic discourse from Kassandra) she smirks and say that you are free to believe what you want and then she disappears and you find an owl feather at the ground... did Minerva decided to take a stroll in the human world and assess the Eagle Bearer? =3

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Finally, after 40 hours and a month and a half of on-off playing, i've finally beat the main story on Saturday and managed to get the best ending. Been finishing up the major side missions + cultists and managed to get to tier 1 on the Mercenary list yesterday at level 43. I've been pretty OP ever since level 30 when I got the Artemis set with the Fanged Bow + 20% Devasting Shot damage. Had it not been for this combo, i'm sure it would have taken me another 10 hours to organically finish the main story.

It irks me that that the season pass didn't go on sale for Black Friday as I definitely would have bought it if it was around $25 but I can't justify paying the $39.99 with my current backlog so i'll probably never get it or wait until it goes on sale next year. Also, Helix credits are so damn expensive and it sucks because the Hades set looks amazing but i'm not paying $20 for that lol

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Finally, after 40 hours and a month and a half of on-off playing, i've finally beat the main story on Saturday and managed to get the best ending. Been finishing up the major side missions + cultists and managed to get to tier 1 on the Mercenary list yesterday at level 43. I've been pretty OP ever since level 30 when I got the Artemis set with the Fanged Bow + 20% Devasting Shot damage. Had it not been for this combo, i'm sure it would have taken me another 10 hours to organically finish the main story.

It irks me that that the season pass didn't go on sale for Black Friday as I definitely would have bought it if it was around $25 but I can't justify paying the $39.99 with my current backlog so i'll probably never get it or wait until it goes on sale next year. Also, Helix credits are so damn expensive and it sucks because the Hades set looks amazing but i'm not paying $20 for that lol
Well, if you really want some of those paid-for items, you now possibly have more incentive to continue playing the game in short bursts: you can acquire a free, in-game currency, orichalcum, that let's you buy chests that contain random but non-redundant store items. You can get this currency via short daily quests, weekly quests, event quests, by exploring the world (this method is very inefficient but gives a small incentive to go to every corner of the world), and possibly a few other ways. I haven't had a lot of time to play recently, so it's been kind of a nice daily thing for me to jump on and just do the daily and some of the weekly quests as I try to get the pegasus.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Well, if you really want some of those paid-for items, you now possibly have more incentive to continue playing the game in short bursts: you can acquire a free, in-game currency, orichalcum, that let's you buy chests that contain random but non-redundant store items. You can get this currency via short daily quests, weekly quests, event quests, by exploring the world (this method is very inefficient but gives a small incentive to go to every corner of the world), and possibly a few other ways. I haven't had a lot of time to play recently, so it's been kind of a nice daily thing for me to jump on and just do the daily and some of the weekly quests as I try to get the pegasus.
Oh wow, I didn't know that you could get the paid-for items from that shop. I've been buying the mystery gift whenever i'm in the area and have only really gotten purple gear so I assumed it was a waste but i'll definitely be trying to do the dailies more often.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Haven't really played this game in a while. So I figured I would quickly kill this week's epic mercenary, I think they called him? Well, there was nothing epic about that guy. Had to chase him all the way to Makedonia and he died after two arrows to the face. Already had his armor design as well (which I thought I didn't). Oh well, at least I am 40 orichalcum richer.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Ok, so I did The Lost Tale of Greece called Divine Intervention and I liked very much how it put the spotlight in one of the lesser known female figures in greek myths and her "acts of rebellion" against her father and society but...

If you say that she is just a normal woman trying to make you believe she is Athena she kind of smirks and stays around BUT if you claim that she IS Athena herself (with dramatic discourse from Kassandra) she smirks and say that you are free to believe what you want and then she disappears and you find an owl feather at the ground... did Minerva decided to take a stroll in the human world and assess the Eagle Bearer? =3
The issue with that is that we don't know that Minerva would be able to take "human" form. As far as we've seen of the actual Minerva she's just an Isu, and I figured she'd be dead by that point, so???

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm level 30 and 30 hours in and I think I'm starting to burn out a little on this game. Storyline wise, I've just arrived at Athens. I've got about 40% of the map explored. In the beginning I was clearing out areas of all activities and then doing the conquest battles, but now I'm just running past all that stuff to get to the synchronization points so I can fast travel. I think the world is too big or at least not filled with enough interesting activities. The map is huge but there's only four or five different types of activities and it's starting to wear on me. I think I might just mainline the story before I completely burn out on it.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm level 30 and 30 hours in and I think I'm starting to burn out a little on this game. Storyline wise, I've just arrived at Athens. I've got about 40% of the map explored. In the beginning I was clearing out areas of all activities and then doing the conquest battles, but now I'm just running past all that stuff to get to the synchronization points so I can fast travel. I think the world is too big or at least not filled with enough interesting activities. The map is huge but there's only four or five different types of activities and it's starting to wear on me. I think I might just mainline the story before I completely burn out on it.
You're quite early in the game for that level, so you can probably just burn through the rest without grinding at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't really played this game in a while. So I figured I would quickly kill this week's epic mercenary, I think they called him? Well, there was nothing epic about that guy. Had to chase him all the way to Makedonia and he died after two arrows to the face. Already had his armor design as well (which I thought I didn't). Oh well, at least I am 40 orichalcum richer.
Yeah, they're kind of a non-event. They need to beef up their health or something. You pretty much annihilate everything at endgame if you build right, it'd be okay to have at least one special enemy who was a little spongey.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think so. I misremembered, he joined the cult because he lost his wife and child and the Cult promised he would see them again. Not quite as sympathetic as I remembered, but he's still kinda a victim I guess. It'd be nice if you could de-convert some of the cultists instead of having to killing them all. You can recruit some of the mercenaries, after all.

Well, there's one cultist in the story who you can try to do that to

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought this game last night thanks to the Steam sale. This is my first Assassins Creed game I've ever played. 90 mins into and I'm finding it quite enjoyable. Bought it partly to max out settings with my new GPU and monitor, but also wanted a long adventure game. Any tips for a Ass Creed newbie?

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
The issue with that is that we don't know that Minerva would be able to take "human" form. As far as we've seen of the actual Minerva she's just an Isu, and I figured she'd be dead by that point, so???
She is dead by that point but I assumed they had a way to make their presence known in the real world beyond the chambers... maybe "possessing" people that use artifacts like the mythical beasts?
I hope we get even more Isu lore in Fate of Atlantis

Any tips for a Ass Creed newbie?
1) Check the missions boards in the towns and take all the missions that say "Contract", these missions are "Kill x Soldiers of a Faction" or "Sink x number of ships" and don't have time limit so you will complete them as you play the game, they reward you with a LOT of money and EXP. The other missions in the board are just filler tbh so I mostly don't care about them unless you really want them (the Bounty ones are particularly good sources of money and it can be fun to hunt down mercenaries to

2) Don't sell Equipment and Weapons you don't need, just disassemble them for the materials since the games has a lot more ways to get money than materials and materials are good to upgrade your ship and items you want to stick with.

3) All the 3 skill trees have fun and useful abilites so you can go no wrong with them but if you find a particular fort difficult for your build don't forget that you can respecc from that window as much as you want and it only costs a very little sum of money.

And enjoy the story~

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
At this point we really need repeatable events, like being able to repeatedly facing the legendary creatures. Plus I have an abundance of every material except leather, so having the ability to replay those sections would be really exciting.

I know we should able to fight the mythical bosses soon yet I hope that we can play repeatedly.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I've been trying to unlock every armor variation in the game for the hell of it. Literally the only ones left on the transmogrification screen that say I need to loot them are two that look like recolors of the Amazonian set and one that looks like the Silver Chestplate; does anybody know where these are?

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to unlock every armor variation in the game for the hell of it. Literally the only ones left on the transmogrification screen that say I need to loot them are two that look like recolors of the Amazonian set and one that looks like the Silver Chestplate; does anybody know where these are?
the one that looks like the Silver Chestplate... have you finished the Family storyline?

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Just did a sidequest with a woman who wanted to win the heart of some guy above a load of other suitors...
It was annoying the witch was immune to damage, having to have to watch that play out knowing she was up to no good rather than assassinating her. That's the kind of reactivity I'd like to see in these games.

Good tips for new players

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
So, since there are likely to be new players making their way into the thread thanks to Black Friday/Christmas deals and gifts, I thought I'd put my inordinate amount of time in the game to use and whip up some tips for them. It got a little out of hand. Anyway, without further ado...

Loot:

* Loot territory supplies before burning them. They are an excellent source of materials.
* You'll get plenty of loot just playing through the game so you don't really need to buy any pieces.
* Pay attention to the bonuses on your gear. Either pick the gear that matches your playstyle or change your playstyle to match your gear. If you want to play as a stealthy assassin, use gear with Assassin damage bonuses for example.
* You can see your detailed stats at any time in the inventory menu. Check the bottom right of the screen for the platform-specific button to bring it up.
* Legendary gear (the gold stuff) comes with a Legendary engraving. Once you get a Legendary weapon or the entire set for armor, you'll unlock that engraving for use with anything.
* Somewhat related to that last point, the Engravings screen will tell you how to obtain or upgrade your various engravings. This includes giving hints to the whereabouts of Legendary gear.
* Engravings are relatively cheap and can be a big help. You can add one engraving to any piece of non-common gear, though you can swap out that engraving at any time.
* You'll probably gain more than enough money just by completing missions, so it's usually best to dismantle unwanted gear instead of selling it.
* With a recent update, you can make any piece of gear look like any other piece of that same type. Love the stats on a certain helmet, for instance, but wish it looked like a different one you have? You can do that! When hovering over a piece of gear, look for the eye symbol on the bottom right of the info card. And don't feel the need to hold on to gear just for looks. Having a piece at any point permanently unlocks its look for use in this system. Feel free to sell or dismantle it.

Abilities:

* Second Wind should be the first ability you get. It restores some of your health and is invaluable.
* You can respec your abilities at any time for a small amount of drachmae. The bottom right of the Abilities screen will show you how, and for how much.
* While the description for Hero Strike doesn't sound that impressive, it really is. Take note of your Assassin damage at the bottom of the Inventory screen. It's much higher than any other damage. So dealing even 60% of it in open combat is a big deal.
* Taking the Stealth Master ability to level 3 increases your damage at night. Combined with your inherent ability to fast forward time by holding the map button means you become a nightmare to enemies after the sun goes down.
* The abilities that give you passive buffs to your various damage types and armor are all worthwhile.
* Rush Assassination can be chained back to an enemy you've already used it on. So you can go Elite -> Thug -> Elite again if the first go around didn't kill the Elite.
* Every time you use an active ability (the ones you can put on the ability wheels), you'll regain a little bit of health.
* The Multi-Shot ability in the Hunter tree has auto-aim. It's so powerful, especially in Conquest battles, that it almost feels broken.

Quests:

* As soon as you can, start picking up Contracts from the Message Boards found in towns. They are missions that ask you to eliminate a certain number of specific enemies. You'll undoubtedly do this just through playing the game normally which means these contracts will give you lots of XP and drachmae essentially for free.
* Don't worry about any quests marked by grey icons. They're randomly generated, very bare bones, and won't reward you with much.
* The quests denoted by the gold exclamation points, however, are pretty much all worth your time. Some of them get very in depth and they offer great XP. And most have interesting stories.
* There are essentially 3 main questlines: Family, First Civilization/Modern Day, and Cultists. You can complete them in any order, but I'd suggest doing them in the order listed above because the Cultists ending contains a spoiler for the First Civilization ending.
* The Cultist and First Civilization questlines don't really involve player choice that much, but the Family one, and several side quest lines, do. Your decisions will meaningfully impact how they play out.
* For dialogue choices, the symbols mean the following: the scale means you're lying, the heart means your flirting, the crossed swords means you're getting ready to fight, and the arrow pointing out the door means you're leaving that portion of the conversation.
* Dialogue lines in yellow move the conversation along while ones in white will stop it for questions. If there are multiple choices in white, you'll be able to go through all of them. Only the choice in yellow will move you out of that part of the conversation.
* After you finish some quests, you'll be able to check in with some of the main people from it if you go back to their locations.
* Every week (beginning Tuesdays), two new quests become available at mission boards for everyone. They reward 40 Orichalcum a piece, a currency that can only be used with the vendor Sargon in Phocis (he's the blue swirl icon on the map). He has a rotating selection of high-level gear and also offers loot boxes for chances at that gear, including stuff that would otherwise require a purchase with actual cash. There's no ability to buy the loot boxes with cash.
* There's also a new quest every day that rewards 10 Orichalcum is usually very easy.
* For Cultists, if their entry in the menu says something like "Help people nearby to discover clues," that means do gold exclamation point quests in that area to learn where they are.

Misc:

* Mercenaries and Polemarchs are your best bets for ship lieutenant recruits so check them out with your eagle Ikaros before deciding to kill them. You might be better off knocking them out and recruiting them instead of killing them. You'll still get their loot too.
* I recommend playing as Kassandra. Her voice actress is fantastic.
* Each Mercenary Tier you go up unlocks a new perk. These can be really helpful, like 50% off stuff from blacksmiths, or 50% off upgrades for your ship. Consider holding off on upgrades or purchases from those until you unlock the perk. It will make stuff much cheaper.
* If you come across a Tomb location, complete it! Each one gets you an ability point.
* A female ship's crew means a women's choir singing the sea shanties.
* There's really no overarching system for Conquest Battles, which is a little disappointing, but they do reward a bunch of XP.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
New in upcoming patch 1.1.1: Mastery Levels

Basically passive perks (like certain engravings) that you buy and upgrade with ability points.
Oh shit, is not just "Increase Damage of this Skill Tree by 1%" like in Origins but they are going DEEP into this thing!

acd_masterylevel_006_341008.png

The post-launch support of this title is just so damn good

Z6NMW5N.png

Can you reset the Mastery Levels?

Yes, and you can reset them independently from your Abilities for a handful of drachmae.

Z6NMW5N.png

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
* A female ship's crew means a women's choir singing the sea shanties.
Great list. I knew most of those but some of them I didn't, including this one! I'm gonna have to try this.

I'd add the following tip about recruiting mercenaries or elite soldiers (captains, polemarchs) that took me way too long to figure out:
- Punching them until KO takes way too long, so just damage them in normal combat until they have a tiny sliver left, and finish them off with non-lethal damage. I recommend Spartan Kick or Paralyzing arrows. Some people leave a weapon slot blank for punching but I find that too cumbersome.

Oct 25, 2017
Great list. I knew most of those but some of them I didn't, including this one! I'm gonna have to try this.

I'd add the following tip about recruiting mercenaries or elite soldiers (captains, polemarchs) that took me way too long to figure out:
- Punching them until KO takes way too long, so just damage them in normal combat until they have a tiny sliver left, and finish them off with non-lethal damage. I recommend Spartan Kick or Paralyzing arrows. Some people leave a weapon slot blank for punching but I find that too cumbersome.
Yeah, Knockout + Devastating Shot w/ paralyzing arrows is the way to go.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
wish tamed animals were just flatout persistent instead of a pile of weird inconsistencies you can kind of game if you want to keep them but isnt really worth the hassle.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Man I'm sure it's been said before, but the mandatory enemy / area level scaling just makes levelling feel completely and utterly pointless.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
When did the AC games stop with the ambient music as you traverse the world? Really missing that in the game ....
Unsure exactly what it was like with earlier games but on PC at least there is an option to have the music play often (or not). I find it's playing most of the time that way.
Man I'm sure it's been said before, but the mandatory enemy / area level scaling just makes levelling feel completely and utterly pointless.
I don't understand. I know Syndicate and Origins had leveling and areas you could not got to until you hit that level (well you could but you'd die). What's the difference here? Is it because all the areas essentially keep up with you? So areas that were lvl 19 become lvl 50 etc? Is this not because all regions are being used for bounties and contracts etc? Otherwise you'd get a contract in a lower area and you'd just steamroller through it. Or am i missing something?

Last edited:

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Gaining ability points helps, though. Also if you go to the Arena the enemies there don't scale. I found it late, level 40 and the earlier rounds are against levels 22 and such and it was lol

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

I look back at Kephallonia and see it's at level 44 and get annoyed lol. It's one of the few things that to me is a major downside. Ubisoft was so interested in offering choice in this game--why couldn't this be one of their choices? I don't even care if its on by default. I can go in the options and cut it off, but you've gotta put that option there lol.

I'm not even wholly against scaling. I think Kephallonia was 1-7. I'm fine with them leveling with you until the last level of the region. But once I hit 10, they should still be at 7. Don't raise the max level there to 8 lmao.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Abilities and gear are where the progression is in the game, just because enemies scale in level doesn't mean you don't become godlike by the end of the game.

Even mercenaries melt before my glorious Kassandra now.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

Fully agree with this. You might as well have gotten rid of levels and done something else. They're pointless now.

Unsure exactly what it was like with earlier games but on PC at least there is an option to have the music play often (or not). I find it's playing most of the time that way.

I don't understand. I know Syndicate and Origins had leveling and areas you could not got to until you hit that level (well you could but you'd die). What's the difference here? Is it because all the areas essentially keep up with you? So areas that were lvl 19 become lvl 50 etc? Is this not because all regions are being used for bounties and contracts etc? Otherwise you'd get a contract in a lower area and you'd just steamroller through it. Or am i missing something?

I'm not going to lie. There were times in Syndicate, or Origins, where I would return to an area I hadn't been in for awhile, to do some stuff I missed. Coming back and just being able to steamroll through them was enjoyable. It was like ohh yeah I've really gotten stronger since I was here.

In Odyssey, I feel, I've lost that. Everyone is always just above my level at at the same level.