• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to lie. There were times in Syndicate, or Origins, where I would return to an area I hadn't been in for awhile, to do some stuff I missed. Coming back and just being able to steamroll through them was enjoyable. It was like ohh yeah I've really gotten stronger since I was here.

In Odyssey, I feel, I've lost that. Everyone is always just above my level at at the same level.
Without the catch-up scaling, going back to do quest chains in lower level areas you missed would become pointless. Fights would always be trivial, loot would be throwaway. I think this is 100% the right approach. You're two levels in front, which still makes you feel powerful without making it mindless. Dropped loot still has the potential of improving on what you've got.

Can't argue with including the option to turn it off, though. As you said, Ubisoft's philosophy with this game is very much letting the player choose their experience.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I love this game. Not even close to finishing it and I've already clocked 47 hours. I love just running around finding ?s to do and seeing the country side. Side quests are fun and give me a reason to murder some shit. Collecting gear and changing my look is addictive and I really need to stop messing with it.

Oh and Critical Assassination + Hero Strike (or whatever the hell it's called) = Overpowered as shit. Nothing survives me.

This game will be close to the top of my GOTY for sure. It's truly impressive what Ubisoft has done here.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
Just started the game and I'm in Megara.

Just curious about Knockout. Is there like no real downside to it? It's still one hit KO for me and as I understand it scales off assassin damage, doesn't it? Also it looks like you can recruit like 99% of enemies in regular camps and forts, so wouldn't it be more efficient to KO and recruit? Leaves no body behind either and you get some XP for it.

Or will it scale less in the late game or something vs straight assassination later on?

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Just started the game and I'm in Megara.

Just curious about Knockout. Is there like no real downside to it? It's still one hit KO for me and as I understand it scales off assassin damage, doesn't it? Also it looks like you can recruit like 99% of enemies in regular camps and forts, so wouldn't it be more efficient to KO and recruit? Leaves no body behind either and you get some XP for it.

Or will it scale less in the late game or something vs straight assassination later on?
You have a limit in how many people you can recruit and if you leave an enemy knocked out lying around then other enemies can wake them up.

Also you cannot apply the bonus of the skill "critical assassination" to knock out (as far as I know) so it's quite easier to just assassinate.

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
I love this game. But I don't have any grey quests on my map, is this ok? Also the game just have tons of systems, little bit overwhelming, lol.

bdiddy82

Nov 5, 2018
So, since there are likely to be new players making their way into the thread thanks to Black Friday/Christmas deals and gifts, I thought I'd put my inordinate amount of time in the game to use and whip up some tips for them. It got a little out of hand. Anyway, without further ado...

Loot:

* Loot territory supplies before burning them. They are an excellent source of materials.
* You'll get plenty of loot just playing through the game so you don't really need to buy any pieces.
* Pay attention to the bonuses on your gear. Either pick the gear that matches your playstyle or change your playstyle to match your gear. If you want to play as a stealthy assassin, use gear with Assassin damage bonuses for example.
* You can see your detailed stats at any time in the inventory menu. Check the bottom right of the screen for the platform-specific button to bring it up.
* Legendary gear (the gold stuff) comes with a Legendary engraving. Once you get a Legendary weapon or the entire set for armor, you'll unlock that engraving for use with anything.
* Somewhat related to that last point, the Engravings screen will tell you how to obtain or upgrade your various engravings. This includes giving hints to the whereabouts of Legendary gear.
* Engravings are relatively cheap and can be a big help. You can add one engraving to any piece of non-common gear, though you can swap out that engraving at any time.
* You'll probably gain more than enough money just by completing missions, so it's usually best to dismantle unwanted gear instead of selling it.
* With a recent update, you can make any piece of gear look like any other piece of that same type. Love the stats on a certain helmet, for instance, but wish it looked like a different one you have? You can do that! When hovering over a piece of gear, look for the eye symbol on the bottom right of the info card. And don't feel the need to hold on to gear just for looks. Having a piece at any point permanently unlocks its look for use in this system. Feel free to sell or dismantle it.

Abilities:

* Second Wind should be the first ability you get. It restores some of your health and is invaluable.
* You can respec your abilities at any time for a small amount of drachmae. The bottom right of the Abilities screen will show you how, and for how much.
* While the description for Hero Strike doesn't sound that impressive, it really is. Take note of your Assassin damage at the bottom of the Inventory screen. It's much higher than any other damage. So dealing even 60% of it in open combat is a big deal.
* Taking the Stealth Master ability to level 3 increases your damage at night. Combined with your inherent ability to fast forward time by holding the map button means you become a nightmare to enemies after the sun goes down.
* The abilities that give you passive buffs to your various damage types and armor are all worthwhile.
* Rush Assassination can be chained back to an enemy you've already used it on. So you can go Elite -> Thug -> Elite again if the first go around didn't kill the Elite.
* Every time you use an active ability (the ones you can put on the ability wheels), you'll regain a little bit of health.
* The Multi-Shot ability in the Hunter tree has auto-aim. It's so powerful, especially in Conquest battles, that it almost feels broken.

Quests:

* As soon as you can, start picking up Contracts from the Message Boards found in towns. They are missions that ask you to eliminate a certain number of specific enemies. You'll undoubtedly do this just through playing the game normally which means these contracts will give you lots of XP and drachmae essentially for free.
* Don't worry about any quests marked by grey icons. They're randomly generated, very bare bones, and won't reward you with much.
* The quests denoted by the gold exclamation points, however, are pretty much all worth your time. Some of them get very in depth and they offer great XP. And most have interesting stories.
* There are essentially 3 main questlines: Family, First Civilization/Modern Day, and Cultists. You can complete them in any order, but I'd suggest doing them in the order listed above because the Cultists ending contains a spoiler for the First Civilization ending.
* The Cultist and First Civilization questlines don't really involve player choice that much, but the Family one, and several side quest lines, do. Your decisions will meaningfully impact how they play out.
* For dialogue choices, the symbols mean the following: the scale means you're lying, the heart means your flirting, the crossed swords means you're getting ready to fight, and the arrow pointing out the door means you're leaving that portion of the conversation.
* Dialogue lines in yellow move the conversation along while ones in white will stop it for questions. If there are multiple choices in white, you'll be able to go through all of them. Only the choice in yellow will move you out of that part of the conversation.
* After you finish some quests, you'll be able to check in with some of the main people from it if you go back to their locations.
* Every week (beginning Tuesdays), two new quests become available at mission boards for everyone. They reward 40 Orichalcum a piece, a currency that can only be used with the vendor Sargon in Phocis (he's the blue swirl icon on the map). He has a rotating selection of high-level gear and also offers loot boxes for chances at that gear, including stuff that would otherwise require a purchase with actual cash. There's no ability to buy the loot boxes with cash.
* There's also a new quest every day that rewards 10 Orichalcum is usually very easy.
* For Cultists, if their entry in the menu says something like "Help people nearby to discover clues," that means do gold exclamation point quests in that area to learn where they are.

Misc:

* Mercenaries and Polemarchs are your best bets for ship lieutenant recruits so check them out with your eagle Ikaros before deciding to kill them. You might be better off knocking them out and recruiting them instead of killing them. You'll still get their loot too.
* I recommend playing as Kassandra. Her voice actress is fantastic.
* Each Mercenary Tier you go up unlocks a new perk. These can be really helpful, like 50% off stuff from blacksmiths, or 50% off upgrades for your ship. Consider holding off on upgrades or purchases from those until you unlock the perk. It will make stuff much cheaper.
* If you come across a Tomb location, complete it! Each one gets you an ability point.
* A female ship's crew means a women's choir singing the sea shanties.
* There's really no overarching system for Conquest Battles, which is a little disappointing, but they do reward a bunch of XP.

As one of those newcomers, thank you for this!

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Impressive list of patch notes. One that sticks out for me, from patch 1.1.1:

Addressed various texture issues with robes on multiple characters
I dearly hope this will finally fix my problem with NPCs automatically flashing me in photo mode.

Edit: Installed, tested aaaaand... it hasn't been fixed. Great.

At least the Daughters of Artemis seem friendly to me again.

Edit 2: Nope, still hostile.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so pretty!

vPW9Ots.gif

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Pilgrim Set now offers 100% adrenaline reduction while using Shadow of Nyx

Amazonian Set now gives you back 4% health instead of 2%

Nice too see them trying to make Legendary Sets more useful

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everybody! If I still haven't finished Origins (prob like 80% of the way) and I'm knee deep in Red Dead, should i pick this up at Target today for $30? And should i finish Origins first?

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey everybody! If I still haven't finished Origins (prob like 80% of the way) and I'm knee deep in Red Dead, should i pick this up at Target today for $30? And should i finish Origins first?

This game is an absolute steal for 30 bucks. If you think you can get to it in the future I say buy it.

And definitely finish the main story of Origins if you can. It's worth it to see the ending.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Still can't dismiss Tekton with the new patch despite it explicitly being in the notes.

New bug for me with the photo mode: now I can't move the camera freely at all, rendering it kind of useless.

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Level 43. On my way to the Olympics. No clue how far I am into the story. After Monster Hunter World's, this is easily my favorite game of the year. Tears flowing.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, the Pirate Set legendary skill went from "Improve Damage from Assassin's Skill by 15%" to "Improve Damage from Assassin's Skill by 50%" if you wear the set itself instead of engraving it on other equipment.

This and Pilgrim Set making you being Invisible as long as you want are game changers for some of the most difficult forts.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Oh shit, the Pirate Set legendary skill went from "Improve Damage from Assassin's Skill by 15%" to "Improve Damage from Assassin's Skill by 50%" if you wear the set itself instead of engraving it on other equipment.

This and Pilgrim Set making you being Invisible as long as you want are game changers for some of the most difficult forts.

Oh man, really? They made it so that wearing the actual set gives you a significantly bigger bonus? That's definitely a game changer.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
No buffs on the Athenian War Hero set, although I don't think anything could be better than All Arrows Pierce Shields. Noticed the Immortal set is now 100% Health recovery with a 1 minute cooldown instead of 20%, 2 minutes. Never did figure that one out though.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

Good god that's amazing. I can't wait to see how all my builds have changed.

I hope the expansions have some super tough enemies because I'm already unstoppable pre-patch.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
What's the verdict on Xbox One vs PC now that this has been out for a while? Tempted to grab a copy of Xbox with that eBay code but my PC is also pretty good and I had to make only a few sacrifices to get Origins at 1080/60.

I know there are comparisons out there but they were done at launch.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Wait, did they buff all the armor sets???
It appears that they made it so that the set bonus is markedly more powerful if you wear all 5 pieces of a set rather than just engrave it onto one piece of equipment, which gives you an incentive to actually use a full set.

They've buffed perks for legendary sets, before it was possible to outclass them with purple armour (with a lot of luck) but this makes legendaries far more valuable, as they should be.
It didn't take a lot of luck since you get so many items in the game and can always upgrade good pieces to your level. Given the versatility of the engraving slot, you can easily take an imperfect item and make it very good. Combined with the fact that legendary armours only have 3 properties on them (plus the set bonus shared among all pieces) versus 4 on epic items, it's almost always objectively better to use epic armour and just engrave the set bonus onto one piece of them... until now with the full set bonus.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
What's the fastest way to get Olive Wood? I thought I was closer to getting all the upgrades for the ship but apparently an update added more?

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
What's the fastest way to get Olive Wood? I thought I was closer to getting all the upgrades for the ship but apparently an update added more?
I find doing those random side missions (the hour glass ones) which can be completed in just a few minutes can give you over 100 wood/iron/leather etc if you're around lvl 50+. Doing ten or so will usually get you enough to upgrade weapons, armour and the ship at least once.

Nice update today boosting the legendary sets. The Agamemnon set, for example, now has a 100% boost to fire which added to certain wepons and other armour bonuses you can add meks it ridiculously strong and great fun. Good to see these constant updates.

Still can't dismiss Tekton with the new patch despite it explicitly being in the notes.

New bug for me with the photo mode: now I can't move the camera freely at all, rendering it kind of useless.
I've had different bugs with the photo mode come up (on PC using controller) but they were always random and would go when I restarted the game. Annoying and needs fixing.

Also, this is the custom armour I'm currently wearing.
q3WlS3I.jpg

Last edited:

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
By far the fastest way to get wood is to simply destroy ships. Sail around and attack every ship you see. I usually get anywhere from 70-200 wood per ship depending on the type of ship. Combined with dismantling everything, after fully upgrading my vessel (including the new patch upgrades), I still have about 17,000 wood.

Edit: Correction, I actually have 29,000 wood right now.

Last edited:

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. You just have to go back to the island you started the game on and start killing goats until one drops it.

I just did it on accident when I went back to do a quest. I guess it would be random tho.

Huh, thought it might be something a bit more complicated. What does the eye do, if anything?

Finished Divine Intervention, was an awful lot of running back and forth across the same piece of land.

Oct 25, 2017

Once you get used to Shadow of Nyx you can kind of go invisible for free anyway. I use it constantly and it rarely costs me adrenaline. As long as you don't use up an entire segment your adrenaline will refill so I use it in short bursts to move between cover or to lead into an assassination. I went from feeling it was a novelty skill to thinking it might actually be broken once I got the rhythm of it down.