• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Took me a while to get back into the groove of this game after RDR2/Spiderman but I'm back in now. I thought the levelling after 40 would take forever but I actually got to 47 relatively quickly. Finally completed my Amazonian set and finished the Kyra quest line on Mykonos. Ubisoft really have perfected the instant gratification loop in these games, it literally feels like a singleplayer MMO with the endless XP, quests and loot. Like I know it's not particularly deep or engaging but it's just satisfying enough to keep me playing even though I've finished most of the main story content.

I still don't understand this nonsense mercenary system though. I paid them off so I'm back to 0 but if I do a fort literally 3 or 4 will end up on my ass halfway through unless I stealth the entire thing.
I feel like there's always like "just one more thing" kind of stuff you can keep running in to. Like you said, the instant gratification loop.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of random images.

q2Nt24i.jpg

RhOJpln.jpg

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so it seems Ubisoft unlocked the "looks" of the other variants of the Amazonian set it seems so maybe they did it in anticipation of Legacy of the First Blade dropping tomorrow?

The red one is looking pretty rad.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I will say this: this game beats Breath of the Wild in its climb-anything without a stupid stamina meter or weather restrictions gameplay.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Ubisoft nailed the economy and loot this time. After 70 hours in the game and about level 32 i'm still happy at every wood and drachme i find, because there is always something interesting to buy or upgrade.
This is a fundamental aspect in open world RPGs to keep you interested for searching rewarding quests and for exploring the world.
Happy to be back in this world. It's great.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I will say this: this game beats Breath of the Wild in its climb-anything without a stupid stamina meter or weather restrictions gameplay.

My bigger complaint about BotW in that regard is that I just didn't feel like there was anything interesting to find. Unless you really really enjoy shrines. But Odyssey has all sorts of cool things just plopped in the middle of nowhere.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone actually hide bodies? I feel like it isn't really needed because enemies usually just stand around, walk their routes really slow and you can murder them in a matter of moments before they have the chance to discover any bodies and even besides that, after 70 hours I never did nor did I feel like I should have. This isn't hitman.

Sometimes I hide bodies but it seems like they notice it anyway, plus I guess who wouldn't recognize all the blood lmao. Throwing them off their routes is helpful actually, lets you potentially murk them.

Also, man sometimes the systemic fun you can have in this game is great. I was busting up some weapon racks for a mission, but to clear out the quarry I had to kill some soldiers and a captain. While I'm down at the bottom, a freaking bear walks in and mauls one of the soldiers! The captain walks in and I figure he's going to kill the bear--nope! Bear kills him too lol. Finally one last soldier walks up, swipes the bear and it dies. I crept up behind, killed him, and that emptied the base.

The amount of quests in this game is absurd, literally feels like they never end. They really need to focus their resources next game and just put 50 unique missions in the game instead of an extra 100 generic ones.

I disagree. Instead I think they need to get rid of the radiant quests and the stupid hourglass ones. Those are pointless--I haven't done more than 2 or 3 since I figured out there wasn't any story to them. I'm still overleveled for where I'm supposed to be.

Oct 25, 2017
I hide bodies every now and then, I certainly did at the beginning of the game when a group fight would wreck me. I'm basically a god now and can destroy everything but still move bodies if I don't want to alert a fort and alter a leaders routine or make killing him more difficult than it should be.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to say that the Erymanthian Boar is a dreadful fight. The other legendary boar was pretty OP too but I'm not having a lot of fun right now.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
The first Episode is up for download on the PSN rn

Let met start this and see if I can play a bit after work~

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Started the new DLC. Really enjoying it so far.

I'm gonna go ahead and say Odyssey is my GOTY. I've spent a good deal more time on it than most other big releases this year. Currently just over 110 hours. I know a lot of people aren't too keen on open-world games anymore, but I really enjoy the gameplay loop in Origins/Odyssey. And the post-release support has been great.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
I just wanted to say that the Erymanthian Boar is a dreadful fight. The other legendary boar was pretty OP too but I'm not having a lot of fun right now.
Highly, highly recommend using a ranged build against this boar... or a high crit assassin build. I literally killed it in 14 seconds with three Devestating Shots and one Hero Strike (at the time, I had ~50% chance to crit and about +300% crit damage): https://youtu.be/FyN8n_y_ZNE

In other news, I'm at 105 hours played, level 60, and 70% done main campaign. Definitely my game of the year and one of my top 5 favourite games of all time.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I can't believe how long the main quest was. I mean, they usually are in AC games but it is as long if not longer than your average linear game, but stuffed into a vast open world with tons of side content. It is very impressive.

As opposed to something like RDR2 which is polished to perfection, Ubisoft's policy seems to be: churn these out annually to a standard which is 'good enough', and that's fine, but does result in some obviously broken systems, like the horse auto-pathing, and how if you engage it you will definitely kill multiple pedestrians, and quite possibly watch the horse run straight into another horse at high speed and kill itself.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Origins/Odyssey are definitely among my most loved games ever.
The settings, gameplay loop, characters, look etc.. are right up my alley.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently swapping things up trying various playstyles and gearsets.

A game with this much diversity in gear selection DESPERATELY needs the option to save gear sets or at least favourite items so they appear at the top of the list. At the moment I've taken to just using transmogs on all gear I actively use, to mark it in my inventory.

Oct 25, 2017
Any guesses where the next DLC takes place?
Darius tells his son to pack his coat so it's a good bet the new area is a colder clime. I'd guess somewhere in Persia but I don't have a clue.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A gear filter to sift through particular desirable traits would also be super useful in this game.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just did a naval conquest battle and when it came down to the last ship I couldn't find it. It had sailed waaaaay off in the distance in conflict with one of the allied ships. As I sailed towards it, the game told me I was about to leave the confines of the battle. Then the battle failed. Cool.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Any guesses where the next DLC takes place?
Darius tells his son to pack his coat so it's a good bet the new area is a colder clime. I'd guess somewhere in Persia but I don't have a clue.
Messenia and Lakonia are close to Mount Taýgetos which is covered in snow so maybe there? Messenia in particular was never explored properly in any quest just like Makedonia...

Oct 25, 2017
Getting torch kills for the current weekly quest sucks. You set them on fire after a couple hits and if they die to the fire damage, it doesn't count towards the quest. I've whacked about 20 Spartans to death with the torch so far and 2 of those kills counted.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
So after 60+ hours I wanted to try out the tame animal skill because I got some engraving reward that gives a ton of extra health and damage to your tamed animals. So I respecced my points and put 3 in it. I immediately came across a lion, tamed him, and ran around for 2-3 hours just fucking wrecking everything. Its so good to have when taking on groups of enemies. I also liked that they would still show up after fast traveling or going between islands. I had to reload my save at one point but when I did he was gone 😟

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just wrapped up the last of the game's main storylines. I can't believe that I thought this was just an Origins 2.0, a weak cash in. This game is an absolute standout in the series and does everything I could've hoped it would. I loved it. Maybe not my GOTY but damn higher than I would have ever expected of it.
Getting torch kills for the current weekly quest sucks. You set them on fire after a couple hits and if they die to the fire damage, it doesn't count towards the quest. I've whacked about 20 Spartans to death with the torch so far and 2 of those kills counted.
Increase fire damage and critical strike. Only pull out the torch to finish dudes. Whittle them down with normal attacks. If you get them on fire, before they're one hit from dead, wait for the tick of fire damage, THEN kill them. It's a major pain in the butt but you'll get there.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing a couple days ago and I think I'm just about to leave Kephalonia. I'm actually quite impressed with how this game turned out.

I skipped Origins but I think I will check it out at some point next year. This game sounds long as fuck so I'll probably still be playing into January.

I'm glad I read all the positive impressions on Era or I probably would have never played this. I was worried I was gonna get burnt by the hype train.

Oct 25, 2017
Increase fire damage and critical strike. Only pull out the torch to finish dudes. Whittle them down with normal attacks. If you get them on fire, before they're one hit from dead, wait for the tick of fire damage, THEN kill them. It's a major pain in the butt but you'll get there.
I checked the AC forums and found the best solution, which is to down them with paralyzing arrows and then go hit them once with the torch to finish them off.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing a couple days ago and I think I'm just about to leave Kephalonia. I'm actually quite impressed with how this game turned out.

I skipped Origins but I think I will check it out at some point next year. This game sounds long as fuck so I'll probably still be playing into January.

I'm glad I read all the positive impressions on Era or I probably would have never played this. I was worried I was gonna get burnt by the hype train.
You've almost finished the tutorial!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Just did a naval conquest battle and when it came down to the last ship I couldn't find it. It had sailed waaaaay off in the distance in conflict with one of the allied ships. As I sailed towards it, the game told me I was about to leave the confines of the battle. Then the battle failed. Cool.
That happened to me once or twice. Frustrating for sure.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe how long the main quest was. I mean, they usually are in AC games but it is as long if not longer than your average linear game, but stuffed into a vast open world with tons of side content. It is very impressive.

As opposed to something like RDR2 which is polished to perfection, Ubisoft's policy seems to be: churn these out annually to a standard which is 'good enough', and that's fine, but does result in some obviously broken systems, like the horse auto-pathing, and how if you engage it you will definitely kill multiple pedestrians, and quite possibly watch the horse run straight into another horse at high speed and kill itself.

These game take three years to make. That's why there won't be one next year.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
latest

This highkey works so well as a proto ancient assassin. Like the DNA is there but missing things like the iconic colors. Enjoyed the dlc.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 20 hours into this and man I'm really enjoying myself(my last ac was black flag). I hope I'm not burned out on it after odyssey cause in many ways it makes me want to try origin as well but I'm into what AC has morphed into(sorry to the folks that prefer the older titles I understand the dismay). I still don't care about the modern day stuff though and it even annoyed me when they had a forced section that took me out of the Greece part for it. I think for me the biggest let down in a weird way is that the setting is Greece on one side I think their color direction for this game is beautiful and they make the most of it but oh god do I just wish this was something more exotic that I haven't seen before.

A few years ago I was among the masses hoping for a Japan based AC but nowadays and especially while playing this game specifically and how the whole athen/sparta things is working out I want an ancient china AC sooooo bad set during the warring states period(also influenced by my love for the manga kingdom) with a slightly improved faction war system.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Yo I feel like an idiot, hopefully someone can answer this for me. I keep seeing references to the game being split up into chapters, but I don't actually see chapter headings on any missions or during any storyline segments. How do you know what chapter you're on?

Garwoofoo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed by the DLC. It's literally just more of the same. There isn't even a new area to explore - the whole thing's set in Makedonia which is already part of the existing map (admittedly without much in it). You get one new ability which is fairly pointless, a new Order of the Ancients to hunt down which is basically the Cult of Kosmos under another name, and apart from that it's all exactly like the base game. It's no better and no bigger overall than one of the more comprehensive side quest islands from the main game, like Mykonos or Euboea.

I get this is just episode 1 of 3 - and the storyline is at least passably interesting - but I was expecting more, somehow.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Yo I feel like an idiot, hopefully someone can answer this for me. I keep seeing references to the game being split up into chapters, but I don't actually see chapter headings on any missions or during any storyline segments. How do you know what chapter you're on?
You can see it from your quest log, I think? The main Odyssey quests are by episodes. Failing that, check your trophies/achievements, there's one for each episode cleared.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed by the DLC. It's literally just more of the same. There isn't even a new area to explore - the whole thing's set in Makedonia which is already part of the existing map (admittedly without much in it). You get one new ability which is fairly pointless, a new Order of the Ancients to hunt down which is basically the Cult of Kosmos under another name, and apart from that it's all exactly like the base game. It's no better and no bigger overall than one of the more comprehensive side quest islands from the main game, like Mykonos or Euboea.

I get this is just episode 1 of 3 - and the storyline is at least passably interesting - but I was expecting more, somehow.
The next pack will almost certainly have a new area in it and possibly new systems with the final one wrapping up the story. This first one really just felt like an intro, it ends right as it establishes the central conflict and as the characters set out to resolve it.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Anyone else get the feeling that the Order of the Ancients and the Cult of Kosmos are different branches of the same organisation?

Like sure, the Cult was allegedly built out of Pythagorean followers, but the way they operate, their usage of symbolism and short hand (masks, signing their names like Templars) are so similar I can't help but feel they have a common ancestor at the very least. Like, say, the Children of Kain.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Are there much differences in the story depending on who you choose to play as, or is just a simple character model/VA swap?