• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed by the DLC. It's literally just more of the same. There isn't even a new area to explore - the whole thing's set in Makedonia which is already part of the existing map (admittedly without much in it). You get one new ability which is fairly pointless, a new Order of the Ancients to hunt down which is basically the Cult of Kosmos under another name, and apart from that it's all exactly like the base game. It's no better and no bigger overall than one of the more comprehensive side quest islands from the main game, like Mykonos or Euboea.

I get this is just episode 1 of 3 - and the storyline is at least passably interesting - but I was expecting more, somehow.[/QUOTE

Watched a few reviews and videos on it and it doesn't look particularly good. I mean the base game already has seemingly endless content so a piece of paid DLC that takes place in an existing area with a bunch of so so quests isn't exactly appealing to me.

Not sure why they moved away from Origins DLC format, that worked great. This should have been released all at once, as it is now I'm just going to wait till it's completed and the season pass goes on sale.

Oct 28, 2017
Have a question that is probably really stupid but here goes:

Do you guys have different "builds" saved in your inventory? Like say you want to beef up your Assassination perks with different armor pieces and engravings do you make a build for that purpose and save those pieces with the engravings and keep upgrading them? I've hit a point where my assassination attempts are pretty ineffective and I'm thinking that's largely because i'm not specced out for assassination? Am I way off here?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Alas, Melissanthi didn't win the award for best performance.

Three guesses who did win.

Have a question that is probably really stupid but here goes:

Do you guys have different "builds" saved in your inventory? Like say you want to beef up your Assassination perks with different armor pieces and engravings do you make a build for that purpose and save those pieces with the engravings and keep upgrading them? I've hit a point where my assassination attempts are pretty ineffective and I'm thinking that's largely because i'm not specced out for assassination? Am I way off here?
Yeah, absolutely. I didn't keep upgrading my armor as I leveled, though. Too expensive, though it might be more doable now because the recents patches lowering the costs.

Technically epic gear is better, but I tend to go with legendary sets (I have at least one for each build) because it is simpler and it is more than enough to wreck everything on hard difficulty anyway. I swap between them as the situation asks for it, usually wearing Hunter gear when exploring/fighting conquest battles and switching to Assassin gear when I infiltrate forts and the like.

Oct 28, 2017
Alas, Melissanthi didn't win the award for best performance.

Three guesses who did win.

Yeah, absolutely. I didn't keep upgrading my armor as I leveled, though. Too expensive, though it might be more doable now because the recents patches lowering the costs.

Technically epic gear is better, but I tend to go with legendary sets (I have at least one for each build) because it is simpler and it is more than enough to wreck everything on hard difficulty anyway. I swap between them as the situation asks for it, usually wearing Hunter gear when exploring/fighting conquest battles and switching to Assassin gear when I infiltrate forts and the like.

Ugh this must be why I'm always low on drachmae - upgrading pieces. I have been upgrading some of the gold and purples. Should I not be doing that? Also, do you guys sell or dismantle weapons/gear you no longer want?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Ugh this must be why I'm always low on drachmae - upgrading pieces. I have been upgrading some of the gold and purples. Should I not be doing that? Also, do you guys sell or dismantle weapons/gear you no longer want?
Not on a level-by-level basis. After a certain amount of levels, I am not completely sure how many, the upgrade cost maxes out and won't rise further. So in the long run it is far better to only upgrade once every few levels. If you really need to upgrade at all: there is so much loot in this game, you will be tripping over gear that is better than what you are currently wearing. I used to hang on to certain parts because of how they looked, but with transmogrification that isn't necessary anymore either.

Upgrading legendary armor is not a good idea. It is the most expensive, but it also has a unique feature in that the entire set automatically levels up when you receive the last piece.

So say you have these pieces:
- head level 9
- torso level 18
- legs level 23
- hands level 28

Then, when you receive the feet and they are level 35, all the other pieces will automatically become level 35 as well.

Do note that all pieces have to be in your inventory the moment you receive the last piece, otherwise it won't work.

As for selling/dismantling: I sold my gear for most of the game, and I am currently sitting on 1.200.000 drachmae and I have no idea what to do with it. So I would say it is better to find a balance: dismantle the grey/blue pieces and sell only the purple stuff, for example.

Oct 28, 2017
Not on a level-by-level basis. After a certain amount of levels, I am not completely sure how many, the upgrade cost maxes out and won't rise further. So in the long run it is far better to only upgrade once every few levels. If you really need to upgrade at all: there is so much loot in this game, you will be tripping over gear that is better than what you are currently wearing. I used to hang on to certain parts because of how they looked, but with transmogrification that isn't necessary anymore either.

Upgrading legendary armor is not a good idea. It is the most expensive, but it also has a unique feature in that the entire set automatically levels up when you receive the last piece.

So say you have these pieces:
- head level 9
- torso level 18
- legs level 23
- hands level 28

Then, when you receive the feet and they are level 35, all the other pieces will automatically become level 35 as well.

Do note that all pieces have to be in your inventory the moment you receive the last piece, otherwise it won't work.

As for selling/dismantling: I sold my gear for most of the game, and I am currently sitting on 1.200.000 drachmae and I have no idea what to do with it. So I would say it is better to find a balance: dismantle the grey/blue pieces and sell only the purple stuff, for example.

Oh my god I'm playing this all wrong. I think I'm playing Destiny or something. Thanks for such a detailed response.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
H3Ek6yu.gif

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Are there much differences in the story depending on who you choose to play as, or is just a simple character model/VA swap?

The latter.

When playing as Kassandra, Alexios is the younger sibling, and vice versa, but the story plays out the exact same regardless. Obviously there are some minor differences in dialogue here and there but it's largely the same.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Anyone know how to get the red variant of the Amazonion top?
I'd like to know this too. Love the Amazon outifit but I really need a recolor version at this point.
I don't have it myself, but apparently it is the epic variant of the legendary piece. I remember someone, I think it was on Reddit, mentioning they got it from an Olympian Gift, but I don't know if that is the only way to get it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I just bought one of those gifts and it's just RNG loot. Got some rubbish epic armour that I have no use for.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whats the most efective way to capture Mecenaries?

I usually low their health as much as possible then fight with my bare fists

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah you also need to eliminate aggro'd enemies around them (whilst carefully avoiding stray hits on the downed merc) before you can hit L3 to recruit, too.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I can understand why Melissanthi Mahut didn't win the TGA award but Kassandra is probably my favourite character this year. She didn't have the arc or emotional impact of Arthur but she's just exceedingly likeable. She's 80% of the reason I'm even bothering to play this game past level 50.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing this a couple weeks ago... and it's fantastic. I dropped AC Origins 10 hours in because I thought Bayek was boring and the story to be... not great.

But AC Odyssey has Kassandra and the quests are more interesting. The changes/refinements go a long way too. 30 hours in so far and I'm having a blast.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why Melissanthi Mahut didn't win the TGA award but Kassandra is probably my favourite character this year. She didn't have the arc or emotional impact of Arthur but she's just exceedingly likeable. She's 80% of the reason I'm even bothering to play this game past level 50.

I think people are still high on Red Dead
Its only been out for a little over a month. People can't judge a game objectively so close to release. They haven't really digested it yet. I'm sure there are people playing Smash right now thinking it's the greatest game ever made.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I just walked through a wheat field and Kassandra puts her hands out like Maximus does in Gladiator. What a neat little touch.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man just saw that the Season pass also included Liberation HD too. My wallet. Just bought the whole thing. Christmas gifts gonna take a hit...

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So I skipped out on this game initially due to RDR2 coming out around the same time and my thoughts were "There is no way in hell I am even gonna wanna touch AC:O", boy was I wrong. I have very mixed mostly negative opinions surrounding RDR2 so figured I would give AC:O a shot and holy shit what a ride its been. I am only 30 hours in, just complete chapter 4 I believe and sitting around level 25 and its been a blast this entire time. For me it is literally a detox from how I was feeling playing RDR2. Now time to pour another 5-8 hours into it tonight...

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I am only 30 hours in, just complete chapter 4 I believe and sitting around level 25 and its been a blast this entire time. For me it is literally a detox from how I was feeling playing RDR2. Now time to pour another 5-8 hours into it tonight...
I'm at 114 hours and I still enjoy playing. I don't play every day anymore but I still look forward to the new content.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
How do I actually access the dlc? I have the season pass and I thought the mission would show up, do I have to download anything ?

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all would be disgusted if you knew how many hours I've put into this game. It's my current "chill out" game. It's fun to just roam around, do a couple contracts and enjoy the gorgeous scenery. My backlog is piling up and still whenever I get a spare moment I go back to this.

y3k

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all would be disgusted if you knew how many hours I've put into this game. It's my current "chill out" game. It's fun to just roam around, do a couple contracts and enjoy the gorgeous scenery. My backlog is piling up and still whenever I get a spare moment I go back to this.

I finished the main game at around a hundred hours, but I was into the 160's before the DLC dropped because I've just been riding my horse nonstop. I never want to leave.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
This game is pretty much "Just one more piece of loot" for me lol. Be interesting to see what tweaks the next AC game makes to the RPG system.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the story
Atlantis and brother
, dealt with all cultists, I'm the number one mercenary and champion of the arena.

That's it for the main game. How is the DLC? The first origins DLC was pretty bad! The second one was great though. Is the first Odyssey DLC a skip?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

The problem for me with this is that the environmental design/art gets too repetitive. The areas just don't look unique enough for me and it's more obvious the more you continue on in the post game.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm at lvl 49 and was psyched to finally be able to justify upgrading the Pirate legendary set.

Then it turns out the cap is 70 :(

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Been trying to work out how long it would take to get all the bonus armour, weapons, ship designs etc via the Orichalcum shop. My guess, assuming you get a piece in every 6 attempts would be over 6 months playing every week and earning 120 orichalcum every week. But more sets etc are being added all the time so it's probably more like 8 months now. Of course, you don't need any of them so it's not worth getting into a flap about it. No way am I paying the best part of £50 to buy the Helix credits to buy them from the store!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Didn't they nerf the upgrade costs a while back? I'm at 55 now and upgraded everything again, doesn't seem that expensive. Not like you're struggling for money in this game by the end.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
This game is good but it does not respect my time at all.

Finally done with
Main Story and Cult
and just grinding up to Level 50 (now at 47) to finish
Medusa to get to Atlantis

I am now 70 hours in and I feel like this game overstayed it's welcome. I just want it to be done.
I cought my self skipping more than one quest cutscene...

It's still a good game but if it was 20 hours shorter it would be a great game.

I don't regret my time with it but it just takes too Long to finish.
I am not as engaged as I was at the start, which is bad thing for a game to make me feel towards the end.
I hope the next AC will be better paced.
I played on normal and used no micro transactions.

Ending thoughts:

got the happy ending with an reunited family. Nice but it kind of fizzled out in my opinion. It was just…..over.
Same with the Cult ending. I killed Aspasia and expected something to happen when I destroyed the pyramid……
I liked the Pythagoras sequence when you tough the pyramid.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
They need to add more staves in the game. I only know if one Legendary one and it looks ridiculous on your back because of how tall it is.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
The problem for me with this is that the environmental design/art gets too repetitive. The areas just don't look unique enough for me and it's more obvious the more you continue on in the post game.

Other way around for me. The environment is way more varied than I thought it would be. Compare autumn-y Phokis with the mighty Lakonia, or tropical Keos with the barren land of Messara. There's a much greater variety than in previous AC games.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 15 hours in and still enjoying myself quite a bit. I do have two criticisms of the game though:

1. Level scaling - I don't like it. One of my favorite things about RPGs is overleveling and smashing the bad guys. The game isn't hard or anything but I love feeling OP

2. Some of the emotional beats fall flat even though the plot is interesting. The cinematics and writing just don't sell some of the scenes.

Also I thought there was a way to transmogrify gear but I can't figure out how to do it. But that's just my fault.