• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It was alright. I'm glad I got to kill a whole lot of people but my rage over having been forced into a baby angle hasn't been entirely quelled. I'm glad that doofus of a father bought it, though.

Yea, Darius was alright but his son was kinda shit lol the Amunet/Aya reveal was kinda cool. It links everything together in a dumb way.

Regardless, I'm excited to see what they do with the Atlantis DLC. I hate that it's going to spread out like these first 3 we're though.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, Darius was alright but his son was kinda shit lol the Amunet/Aya reveal was kinda cool. It links everything together in a dumb way.

Regardless, I'm excited to see what they do with the Atlantis DLC. I hate that it's going to spread out like these first 3 we're though.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the Atlantis DLC. There's a lot of potential there and it's a shame they didn't push into it a bit more during the main game.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Finally powering through the game, and the side quest design is so damn impressive. Just did a whole quest line across two islands (the Spartan rebels vs the Athenians), it's own stand alone story, has a tangential connection the main story and to the cult, and even the at first seemingly disconnected side quests also located on the island end up coming together at the end, all the while the whole quest line is bookended by your friend on your ship. And all of this is missable, yet is all 100% of the same quality as the main quest line.

I know I'm late, but the way this game is weaving Main quests, optional quests, locations and characters all together is ridiculous. Shit after that I did another side quest which
literally leads to a whole other main quest related to Atlantis, your real father and ties to the current day storyline
and seems it could be entirely missable to someone? Insane.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh you actually have to "buy" each episode of Legacy even tho I have the season pass "installed"? That is...awkward.

ok so I havent touched this since finishing it at launch where I did pretty much everything clocking in at around 113 hours. So here's some little tidbits and questions:

- I thought I read they were giving you the surplus xp you had gotten after 50 when they introduced that new mastery system? Well, I have no extra points (and I got to 50 LONG before wrapping up the game, obviously since I was doing every single thing on the map) so welp! It's no biggie, just curious.

- It's always so weird to go back to games after you havent played them in ages, I noticed there were two new (well new for me) bounties for ogres so I went ahead and did those to get used to the controls again.

- speaking of, even with my assassin build / gear, I still beat them fine with arrows and melee. Speaking of build, I went ahead and respecced my assassin build (where I was getting a bunch of talents I didnt need/want just to use the points) to use in the new mastery.

- I went ahead and started to do this new secrets of greece quest before starting legacy of the first blade, thats the free shit right? hopefully its ok.

- where is this new hephaestos forge the game had a pop up about? I think it said somewhere in Malis but I dont see anything on the map.

- why did they "steal" my ship upgrades? I had everything maxed and now, well... I dont.

- new transmog system is godlike.

- I missed Kassandra.

Last edited:

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone speak to the state of the stat boosts in Mastery? I've just picked the game up again after taking a break and I remember when I stopped playing it was a bit broken, stuff like the 40% boost if you're above enemies didn't work at all.

What's worth sinking points into if for a good bow/assassination build and what's pointless?

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone offer some guidance as to the new mercenary tiers that they added? Currently tier 1 but want to get to S1 -> S4.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
oh you actually have to "buy" each episode of Legacy even tho I have the season pass "installed"? That is...awkward.
Most episodic DLC is like this. Walking Dead Final Season eventually transitioned to having to do it in-game, though. But most still use the former method.

- I went ahead and started to do this new secrets of greece quest before starting legacy of the first blade, thats the free shit right? hopefully its ok.
Yes, those are the free quests. They range in quality, but some of them are solid. They're all questlines, though, and not single quests. Gotta make you earn those trophies.

- where is this new hephaestos forge the game had a pop up about? I think it said somewhere in Malis but I dont see anything on the map.
It's in a place called Myson Cave, which is on the very Northern continent (in Malis, specifically) on the map. Look around the region called Pandora's Cove. The cave you're looking for is just North of the Ruins of Artemis fast-travel point.

why did they "steal" my ship upgrades? I had everything maxed and now, well... I dont.
They didn't steal them. They added more. The final tier of upgrades is super expensive though. And the reason they added more was to compensate for the now stronger enemies you'll face at higher levels.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Most episodic DLC is like this. Walking Dead Final Season eventually transitioned to having to do it in-game, though. But most still use the former method.

Yes, those are the free quests. They range in quality, but some of them are solid. They're all questlines, though, and not single quests. Gotta make you earn those trophies.

It's in a place called Myson Cave, which is on the very Northern continent (in Malis, specifically) on the map. Look around the region called Pandora's Cove. The cave you're looking for is just North of the Ruins of Artemis fast-travel point.

They didn't steal them. They added more. The final tier of upgrades is super expensive though. And the reason they added more was to compensate for the now stronger enemies you'll face at higher levels.

ah ha cheers! anyway, finished the first episode. It's... alright? a bit in line with Origin's first DLC which wasnt particularly inspired, so here's hoping the Atlantis one will be much better like the Pharaoh one was. Lack of a new land mass in Legacy of the First Blade is disapointing, but then again it's not like that game needs to be bigger anyway so. Havent really found any new perk that I want to use, well I guess that new one that gives another target to rush assassination? Hoping theres also a new assassination set in ep 2 or 3 since there was a new warrior set in ep1.

I missed Kassandra :)

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Spoiler for those have finished the game...can you let me know?
Early in the game I'm killing a load of Athenians - so I can speak to my father. Do I get to choose a side though eventually - because what if I want to fight the spartans? (I do!)

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Spoiler for those have finished the game...can you let me know?
Early in the game I'm killing a load of Athenians - so I can speak to my father. Do I get to choose a side though eventually - because what if I want to fight the spartans? (I do!)
No. The Peloponnesian War is simply a backdrop for the game's story. You can switch sides as often as you want with no repercussions. You're a mercenary, after all. You'll often see control of regions swap from one side to another even without your involvement.

Though conquest battles do net you tons of experience, so make use of them.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
No. The Peloponnesian War is simply a backdrop for the game's story. You can switch sides as often as you want with no repercussions. You're a mercenary, after all. You'll often see control of regions swap from one side to another even without your involvement.

Though conquest battles do net you tons of experience, so make use of them.

Yeah, just treat the conquest battles as a pure arcade video game. No story involved. I wish they had made that plain when it was introduced.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
wow... that episode 2 ending, thats a yikes from me dawg. Even knowing about it it's still awful, what the fuck were they thinking? And the new dialogue option you can choose doesnt even make sense, just yikes all around. Good lord...

So I assume if you play as Alexios, then
Natakos is a lady
? Anyway this totally deserved the shitstorm it got back then.

Last edited:

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
Well, never played an Assassin's Creed in my (sooo long ;) gamer's life and still I fancy Ancient Greece and heard good things re: how AC had become a good WRPG took the plunge during XMas sale...

... 65h later, in barely 40 days, hit level 50 just reaching episode 7 of the story.

This game is so funny:
- Forts invasions going south with reinforcements and Mercenaries wreaking havoc
- Side-missions going from "glorified copy-paste" to plain "WOW !, side quest ?"
the Kyea sidequest is really involved and quite the nice story, ended bittersweet for me with Kyra sobbing through our parting ways, could see Kassandra coming back to her once her adventures are over, other "romances" are quite shallow - though I guess it can be broken if one goes straight after the Leader
- Abilities make fighting quite interesting with increased tiers offering new possibilities (boucing rush assassination between Elite can be fun)
- great gameplay loop with new abilities, new gear, new upgrades for the ship (ship fights only become balanced when once one has significantly upgraded the ship, at leaston Hard)...
- ... which lasts until late into the game (now re-tuning my build with mastery levels, pumping up the Crit % on full health)
- conquests offer different gameplay though not very deep, nice "side-activity" (though some Greek Gwent would be best)
-
Mythical creatures are really challenging and somewhat frightening, was clanching my pad quite hard as I progressed through the maze to face the Minotaur, who I somehow beat on my first try... speaking of such creatures, the Cyclops was much harder - at least for a assassin/warrior - and I had to go down to Normal to beat him. Of note that while on hard I almost got him a few times, he had much less health on Normal, better, and much less challenging fighting moves, bad... wished opponents were less spongy in hard, with same challenge as far as fighting style is concerned
- Nice to meet historical figures such as Perikles, Eurypides, Sokrates...

With a family of four, busy work, 65h in 40 days, never thought I would get so much into an AC game (is this an AC game ?), kudos to Ubisoft for the gorgeous and engrossing game!

Not there yet, stay tuned...

And... that's a wrap folks!

Finished Family Odyssey after a little more than 80 hours at level 59
Can get Deimos coming somewhat to senses but that dinner scene, him wrestling with Stentor?... could buy it if there was a "5 years later" screen just before but... yeah, wow, speechless

Then took some time to hunt the remaining Cultists (especially
the ones who appear only in conquest battles
)... the final reveal is ok,
it would have been very cool if it had been the Pythia,, pretending to be an underling/victim as a means of obfuscation, but in the end wanting Kassandra to end it for same reasons as actual in-game Ghost

... then wrapped up the third Odyssey:
-
Though not on par with the Minotaur's area, liked the atmosphere of the area leading up to Medusa. This fight was one of the best in the whole game, nicely balanced and varied, challenging but fair. Got killed on first try, and got her on the second
Last mythical creature enountered was the Sphynx, disappointed I was not treated to another great fight that could have been triggered by her being angered that you could guess so many riddles - as they were so easy ;)
-
Did not really understand the point of the whole precursor stuff but, then again, first time I play an AC. Bitter sweet to see Kassandra pass away, even if far into the "future"

Kassandra is really a nice PC, great balance between badassery and wit, cool deisgn, looks great in the Amazonian set (dig the red version very much), in the Agamemnon set or as a Huntress... but the best might be
Kassandra in a posh business suit

Wrapping up things re: combat, still fun after so many hours, ended switching from high Full health Crit build to a Frire one, wearing the Full Agamemnon set which makes it actually matter.
The hardest fight by far was the bloody Boar, made me drop from Hard to Easy but guess that tackling it later with more abilities and mileage would have made it more manageable... found the (
second Boar
super easy in comparison (killed on first try)

102 hours, level 65, done almost all "Gold quests" but no "lost tales"... maybe a few months down the road with the Atlantis DLC

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
level 65, meanwhile im level 53 after 123 hours and doing everything in the game and now the dlc.

werent they supposed to give you the surplus xp when they introduced the system? >_>

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm about 15 hours in/just hit level 25 and man...I have not had this much fun with a game in a long time. It just feels so fluid. Kassandra is a great protagonist and the setting is just stunning. I'm mainly playing an Assassin build with some points sprinkled into Warrior and that seems to have been a good choice. Despite the game's larger focus on combat than previous entries, it still laregly feels like an Assassin's Creed game to me.

I really, really hope Ubi keeps the RPG mechanics going forward too. It's something that I never knew this franchise needed but it feels like such a natural fit.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
So I'm about 15 hours in/just hit level 25 and man...I have not had this much fun with a game in a long time. It just feels so fluid. Kassandra is a great protagonist and the setting is just stunning. I'm mainly playing an Assassin build with some points sprinkled into Warrior and that seems to have been a good choice. Despite the game's larger focus on combat than previous entries, it still laregly feels like an Assassin's Creed game to me.

I really, really hope Ubi keeps the RPG mechanics going forward too. It's something that I never knew this franchise needed but it feels like such a natural fit.
I agree, it's up there with Breath of the Wild.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Legacy of the First Blade has been pretty trash (I'm on episode 3 now), I'm super disapointed. Origin's first DLC wasnt amazing or anything, but at the very least you could just say "its more Origins". This is just straight up bad.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Legacy of the First Blade has been pretty trash (I'm on episode 3 now), I'm super disapointed. Origin's first DLC wasnt amazing or anything, but at the very least you could just say "its more Origins". This is just straight up bad.
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan. I liked some things about it but being forced to have a baby with Goofus really soured the experience.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just getting back into the game now and I really hate how it kind of forces you into one singular play-style. If you go for two then you'll have to awkwardly dole out % damage bonuses amongst your 7 gear slots meaning you get diminished damage in both.

Like, I want to create a stealth/warrior character as both have their uses but it feels that I should choose one of the two and I simply don't want to do that.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
level 65, meanwhile im level 53 after 123 hours and doing everything in the game and now the dlc.

werent they supposed to give you the surplus xp when they introduced the system? >_>
That was the initial understanding, but when the update actually hit, it turned out they just turned your surplus XP into ability points instead of actual levels.

Yeah, wonder why they didn't straight give out levels, confusing.

As for lvl 53 after 123 hours, besides the above confusing "abilities instead of levels" event, what difficulty do you play at? Might explain the gap...

Also, the biggest factor in the variance in level climbing per hour seems to be "Do players sign up on Contracts or not ?" as they can be done "for free" in parallel of normal gameplay/progression and entail huge rewards. Somewhat unfair as this game mechanic is not so clear and many players would have missed this "free" XP trove (e.g. burn X war supplies, kill X Spartans... which are sure to be completed in normal gameplay)
Ubisoft seems to have taken notice of that as they toned down XR rewards for Contracts in their latest patch (while upping Bounties').

Edit: mistyped 23 vs 53, as duly notified below :)

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
53, not 23. I was capped long before I finished the game.

Well, the level cap before they raised it that is.

Nyx

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Level 25 in 15 hours? I'm level 14 in 14 hours, must do something wrong lol.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
Was bored and after 200 hours playing as Kassandra started a new game plus as Alexios today. I'm just gonna 100% the game again I guess snd see how many mastery levels I can hit since I'm lvl99 already. My favorite AC game in the series.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Level 25 in 15 hours? I'm level 14 in 14 hours, must do something wrong lol.

Full disclosure - I purchased that optional XP boost that permanently increases XP gains by 50%. I remembered everyone was saying the boost made the game's more grindy elements much less of a headache around the time of the game's launch. In fact there was a whole thread about it:

Polygon: "Assassin's Creed Odyssey's Best Feature Costs an Extra 10 Bucks"

I purchased Odyssey on sale and had some leftover cash as a result, so I figured why not. Especially after everyone going on about how big of a difference it made to the game's progression and flow. I have no idea just much different my experience with Odyssey would have been up to this point without it, but as it is I have zero complaints.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they definitely gimped XP if you did not buy that XP bonus. I'm at about 90 hours and at level 70, yet I'm seeing some with over 100 hours and just over level 50.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
Question regarding the cultists: does anyone know if they all have quests prior to identifying them as cultists? I'm wondering if I'm potentially missing content if I choose to unveil them.
In the quest Once a Slave, the slave master NPC looks a lot like The Centaur of Euboea. Is this just a case of Ubi reusing models?

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Question regarding the cultists: does anyone know if they all have quests prior to identifying them as cultists? I'm wondering if I'm potentially missing content if I choose to unveil them.
In the quest Once a Slave, the slave master NPC looks a lot like The Centaur of Euboea. Is this just a case of Ubi reusing models?
The cultists that are unlocked through story will say something like "continue your Odyssey" on their clues. Everyone else you have to track down.

Also worth noting that non-story cultists are present in the world whether you unlock their clues or not, so you can accidentally stumble upon them, as I did a few times.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Wondering that too since I just straight-up accidentally killed cultists I hadn't done any questing on as I was just exploring the map like BOTW.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
The cultists that are unlocked through story will say something like "continue your Odyssey" on their clues. Everyone else you have to track down.

Also worth noting that non-story cultists are present in the world whether you unlock their clues or not, so you can accidentally stumble upon them, as I did a few times.
Ah, so I should be safe if I just do the sidequests in those areas, I take it? Edit: I think I get what you're saying just the non-story cultists through me off. Thanks.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
wow, I think episode 3 is even worse than 2. Felt super rushed,
they throw in a vague connection to Origins at the end and you dont even kill all the order members organically? I'm missing 3 lol.
Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tags

The whole thing was a shitshow and I'm a huge Odyssey fanboy, and I thought the Origins DLC was fantastic, hell even the first one was good compared to this. Huge disapointment, not sure what to expect from the Atlantis dlc now tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested to see what they'll do for the Atlantis DLC. Feels like there's a good amount of potential there.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
There was also a good amount of potential in exploring Darius and the Hidden Blade and the legacy of one of the first Assassins but that was squandered horribly, so...

This. What the fuck was that? He was just... like, a guy. They don't even focus on his hidden blade or anything, your character doesnt mention it (hey Kassandra how about you maybe notice he has a contraption that makes a blade pop out?), like the whole thing was super underwhelming. Ugh.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
This. What the fuck was that? He was just... like, a guy. They don't even focus on his hidden blade or anything, your character doesnt mention it (hey Kassandra how about you maybe notice he has a contraption that makes a blade pop out?), like the whole thing was super underwhelming. Ugh.
There's like, one line of dialogue about the blade. It's optional and it goes basically: "oh that's a neat blade. how'd you get it", "oh, I made it myself", "that's neat, must be hard to get close to kill people with it", "yeah".
Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tags

That's it. That is the Legacy of the First Blade.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Recently dove into the game and loving it. Minor gripe, though -- I hate it when games put droplets on the screen when entering / exiting water or during rain. It totally kills my immersion, the screen isn't supposed to be there, Ubi!