• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
What in the fuck. I just got the Title Screen Splash after playing for 8 hours. This game is kind of blowing my mind...and I hated every AC game I tried before it. Love that it's an RPG. Any general advice to know as a noob to the game? I feel dirty asking this but are the boosts worth it?

Also what about bounties? Should I just pay them? I don't mind taking on 1 but getting ganged up on bounty hunters 3 levels higher sucks
A few tips:
  • Visit every quest board in town and take every contract you see. These are the quests with descriptions like "destroy 5 Spartan war supplies" which you will complete through normal play and net huge XP.
  • Ignore quests with the hourglass icon, these are the equivalent of Radiant Quests in Bethesda games (constantly randomly generated) and if you complete the objective accidentally you can always turn them in anyway.
  • Take all other side quests (exclamation mark in a diamond icon), they're largely well written and many feed back into the main story branches. Ignoring these means missing some of the best content in the game.
  • You can pay off mercs but it's more fun to hunt down the bounty giver (money bag icon with a sword) and take them out. Your wanted level also goes down over time if you stay out of sight.
  • The stat modifiers on equipment are more important than damage and armour, focus your efforts on making equipment sets that suit your play style. The game now has loadouts you can save so it's easier to refine builds than it was at launch.
  • Before you start getting legendary sets, just keep replacing your equipment with whichever is best for your build, loot comes in fast so no need to be attached, and if you like how equipment looks all appearances are saved for transmog even if you get rid of the item.
  • If you do like the stats on a particular item or have a legendary you like, upgrade every ten levels because this is when the stat modifiers increase, otherwise you just upgrade damage or armour which aren't that important.
  • Engravings are cheap and make a big difference, engrave anything you use. There's an engraving list in your equipment menu where you can keep track of your progress for engravings with special requirements.
  • You'll need A LOT of materials in this game, so dismantle rather than sell extra equipment. Or, if you do need money, sell all purpled and dismantle blues and whites.
  • There's a chest on your ship where you can store equipment you want to keep hold of but don't need/can't dismantle. DON'T STORE LEGENDARY SETS UNTIL THEY ARE COMPLETE. When you complete a legendary set, all items automatically boost to your level, as long as you have them in your inventory.
  • Experiment with your ability tree, you can respec any time for a negligible fee. Eventually you will have enough points to fill the board, if you want to.
  • Warrior, Assassin and Hunter are all viable, focus on whichever suits you, or switch between them. At endgame, I have builds I swap between for all three (plus a fire build).
That ended up being much more than I expected 😅. As you can tell, I adore this game.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This game is really fun. I'm about 75 hours in and at level 48, but only recently got to chapter 7. Perpetually amused about the grind everyone was worried about. Maybe if you mainline it, but you'd be missing out on more than half of the content. The game does a great job introducing new storylines and mechanics juuuust as you think things are starting to get a little stale. Been doing quests in Messara before moving the story forward and wow do I love what's going on on this island. Some of my favorite quests yet.

The one thing I wish they'd have done better is character animations. Kassandra looks okay usually, but every other character seems to be miming a completely different conversation than the one you're engaged in. A little jarring.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys I have a question .I m interested in the game but I finished origin with dlc 3 months ago .from videos and reviews oddessy looks so close to origin.i feel I will be tired of the the mission structure and same feeling as origin .any suggestions ? Should I skip it for now and do it later ?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Guys I have a question .I m interested in the game but I finished origin with dlc 3 months ago .from videos and reviews oddessy looks so close to origin.i feel I will be tired of the the mission structure and same feeling as origin .any suggestions ? Should I skip it for now and do it later ?
The game is definitely more open ended with how you can approach quests as compared to Origins but the general "structure" is fairly similar. It's a fantastic game and if you liked Origins then you'll definitely like Odyssey but burn out can be a legitimate factor.

If you feel like you can't play another game like Origins right now then sure, wait a little while. I'd suggest waiting until all the DLC is out and getting the Gold edition at a discount.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the family mainquest yesterday, i have still to find and take down Medusa and hunt 10 remaining Cultists. Did the vast majority of sidequests too.
In the end it is a great game, they nailed the loot aspect, the balance of economy, character progression, sidequests are entertaining and the characters you meet along the journey are good.

That said Odyssey isn't as good as Origins for me. Both are incredible games, but Origins is downright a magical game in my view.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Gameplay-wise, it's largely the same but with a lot more options and it's more freeform structurally. I enjoyed AC Odyssey much more and, unlike Origins, I didn't burn out on it after 40 hours. Nonetheless, I'd wait a little while before jumping in, I think. I can't imagine doing these two games back to back. As good as Odyssey is, I don't think it'll hold up.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
What in the fuck. I just got the Title Screen Splash after playing for 8 hours. This game is kind of blowing my mind...and I hated every AC game I tried before it. Love that it's an RPG. Any general advice to know as a noob to the game? I feel dirty asking this but are the boosts worth it?

Also what about bounties? Should I just pay them? I don't mind taking on 1 but getting ganged up on bounty hunters 3 levels higher sucks

Never feel bad about paying off bounties. Sometimes you just don't want to fight a bounty hunter, though usually it is a fun challenge.

You will need a lot of wood in mid-game to upgrade your ship so gather all you can and deconstruct unused weapons.

Don't spend too much time overthinking your weapons. The game throws new weapons at you constantly. Honestly it's a bit much. Try not to get stressed about it, it isn't worth the time to go in on minimizing and maximizing.

After a while you will want to look up some of the special weapons that are hidden around the map. I recommend this, it's worth it and the map is so big you might never find them without some help.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The game is definitely more open ended with how you can approach quests as compared to Origins but the general "structure" is fairly similar. It's a fantastic game and if you liked Origins then you'll definitely like Odyssey but burn out can be a legitimate factor.

If you feel like you can't play another game like Origins right now then sure, wait a little while. I'd suggest waiting until all the DLC is out and getting the Gold edition at a discount.
Gameplay-wise, it's largely the same but with a lot more options and it's more freeform structurally. I enjoyed AC Odyssey much more and, unlike Origins, I didn't burn out on it after 40 hours. Nonetheless, I'd wait a little while before jumping in, I think. I can't imagine doing these two games back to back. As good as Odyssey is, I don't think it'll hold up.
Thanks guys . Yea I m afraid of burn out .will wait another 6 months to get it .there won't be a new one this holiday anyway .so might do it around that time to feel fresh

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This holds mostly true except when it comes to the last round of ship upgrades. Because oh boy did the devs make those expensive... both in terms of money and materials.

I didn't want to mention those as it would be confusing. Also they are largely useless in the grand scheme of things anyways in my opinion haha.

I thought this would be the case with me but I loved Origins so much that it never bothered me. It is VERY possible that you could experience burnout though because the two games have very similar styles. Maybe wait a few more months and play a few other games before jumping straight into Odyssey also.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Haven't touched the game in months but the season pass is 45% off. These things always go on sale before half the content is even out.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Got a Sony Rewards email notifying me that I completed an objective giving me 1,000 points. Turns out that gets me a $10 credit for the PSN and I got the season pass for $15. Time to dive back in I guess.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
So how upgrading weapons/gear works past lvl 50. I'm currently 47 and halfway trough Episode 7 (Home Sweet Home), so I have some way to go. Also I have a lot of cultist left, so not sure if I should wait with upgrading until all sets are complete.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how upgrading weapons/gear works past lvl 50. I'm currently 47 and halfway trough Episode 7 (Home Sweet Home), so I have some way to go. Also I have a lot of cultist left, so not sure if I should wait with upgrading until all sets are complete.

It works exactly like it does pre 50. There isn't really a difference. I do notice I need to keep my weapon upgraded less often? Maybe I've just gotten better at the game, or maybe it's because I have so many Mastery points now. Either way, it works the same.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

IMO it is not worth it to upgrade incomplete epic sets at all. Epic equipment will automatically level up to your current level once you get the last piece in the set (and have the equipment in your character inventory, not your ship). I would also say legendary sets are far worse than fully decking your character out in legendary equipment. The full epic set boosts can look good, but you're giving up a ridiculous amount of stat boosts from legendary equipment.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
We have any release dates on new quests/dlc/anything yet?

I just got the plat in Days Gone today. Looking for my next fix.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In fate of atlantis anyone know why i cant do the last set of quests? Do i need to collect all the things and clear out every base to finish the story in episode 1

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Been tempted by this, so went back to wrap up a few side-quests I had left in AC Origins to see if I still liked the formula, think I might be hooked again

How much does Odyssey get into supernatural or mythological elements? Really enjoyed the bits of that in Origins (as well as the fantastic look of the afterlife locations), does it lean any more into that? Hopefully with more interesting mythological 'bosses' as they felt a bit rough in Origins

Also, bit of a random question, does Odyssey have obvious 'chapters'? If I pick this up I might try and stretch it out over a longer period of time and take breaks to play other stuff (I tend to focus too much on finishing one game at a time once I get into them and don't want to burn out towards the end like I did with Origins)

Oct 28, 2017
Been tempted by this, so went back to wrap up a few side-quests I had left in AC Origins to see if I still liked the formula, think I might be hooked again

How much does Odyssey get into supernatural or mythological elements? Really enjoyed the bits of that in Origins (as well as the fantastic look of the afterlife locations), does it lean any more into that? Hopefully with more interesting mythological 'bosses' as they felt a bit rough in Origins

Also, bit of a random question, does Odyssey have obvious 'chapters'? If I pick this up I might try and stretch it out over a longer period of time and take breaks to play other stuff (I tend to focus too much on finishing one game at a time once I get into them and don't want to burn out towards the end like I did with Origins)
Odyssey has 3 main storylines, one of which is dedicated solely to mythological stuff including 4 bosses.

There are chapters in the game for the family (main) storyline but I never found it to be obvious which one you were currently one tbh.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

They go really fucking nuts with the mythological/supernatural elements and it's wonderful. The sombre conspiratorial tone of the old games has been dropped for whacky sci-fantasy and it's so much better for it.

I can't recall if there are distinct chapters, definitely not something as explicit as RDR2, but there are story beats that you could treat as points to take a break. It's an easy game to slip back into because it controls so sensibly and effortlessly.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Cheers for comments! Will probably grab it at some point soon and try and pace it out

It's an easy game to slip back into because it controls so sensibly and effortlessly.

Yup, after an initial hurdle of forgetting how anything worked when I returned to Origins, I was in a 'one more sidequest/outpost/question mark...' loop very quickly

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
When did they add more viewpoints? I had gotten them all when I got my platinum back in January and when I loaded the game back up for the DLC I noticed a few new ones. Do you get anything for collecting them?

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When did they add more viewpoints? I had gotten them all when I got my platinum back in January and when I loaded the game back up for the DLC I noticed a few new ones. Do you get anything for collecting them?

A few patches ago. There is not trophy involved or anything. Just a few more viewpoints to help with fast travel.

Deleted member 51797

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I finally reached the ending of the main story-Odyssey. Incredible game, but I thought the ending would be ways off, seeing the incredible amount of cultists I still have to kill. It might be my favourite AC but the story ending came incredibly abrupt and unexpected to me, I thought the different quests would be integrated more. It really felt like the grand narrative was still somewhere in the second act except near the end - especially the amount of unexplored land and quests I still have to do.

Also I think I probably got the worst ending since everyone ended up dead except for Nikolaos and that idiot? I spent months playing this game in very small chunks so I can't remember what choices I made that led to this but I probably fucked up somewhere - it was quite unsatisfying to be honest.

Anyway, off to kill more cultists I suppose!

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I finally reached the ending of the main story-Odyssey. Incredible came, but I thought the ending would be ways off, seeing the incredible amount of cultists I still have to kill. It might be my favourite AC but the story ending came incredibly abrupt and unexpected to me, I thought the different quests would be integrated more. It really felt like the grand narrative was still somewhere in the second act except near the end - especially the amount of unexplored land and quests I still have to do.

Anyway, off to kill more cultists I suppose!

just finished the main story was well. at first i was like "wha? that's it" but actually found it refreshing, it was mostly a family story not so much about taking down an evil syndicate, obtaining a mcguffin ect all in some epic final showdown

a little sly on ubi's part though, i imagine the low key ending was conducive to players buying the DLC right away to keep on truckin

Deleted member 51797

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
My feelings on the actual ending are very mixed now, but god this game is incredible. I've always been an Assassins Creed fan - there's just something about the traversal in combination with the world and the small challenges within it that makes playing it just incredibly relaxing and fun. I can't wait to dive back in and hunt down the remaining cultists and finish the remaining quests.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing as it's on sale everywhere, what's the state of the game these days? Gold Edition (w/Season Pass) worth it? Looking at PC.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Seeing as it's on sale everywhere, what's the state of the game these days? Gold Edition (w/Season Pass) worth it? Looking at PC.

The base game alone gave me over 100 hours of game play, with the recent deals where it's like $25 I'd say it's totally worth it. I haven't dipped into any of the DLC outside of the Lost Stories of Greece yet but I'll be starting that later tonight.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The base game alone gave me over 100 hours of game play, with the recent deals where it's like $25 I'd say it's totally worth it. I haven't dipped into any of the DLC outside of the Lost Stories of Greece yet but I'll be starting that later tonight.
I'm caught up with all currently-released DLC and my save is almost at 170 hours.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are trade goods only for selling? Do all vendors give equal amounts back?

All vendors do give the same amount.

There are like 1 or 2 quests where you need to get bear pelts or some shit to finish the quest. Don't try to horde your trade goods for this kind of thing though because the quest will tell you exactly where to go to kill a bunch of bears.

So short answer, always sell your trade goods.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
There are like 1 or 2 quests where you need to get bear pelts or some shit to finish the quest. Don't try to horde your trade goods for this kind of thing though because the quest will tell you exactly where to go to kill a bunch of bears.
I've also had a few quests that required shark skins. Those were kind of a pain.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to take pictures of everything in the Elysium in the Atlantis dlc. It's freaking beautiful. So is Adonis. 😏 Though, I think I already screwed up that romance path.

I've also had a few quests that required shark skins. Those were kind of a pain.
I miss when you could multi-shoot sharks. It's a pain trying to kill them now since their movements are so erratic .

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Aaaawww sometimes I hate myself. Just started the game and am like 3 hours in. Bought the game for cheap. HAD to buy that stupid horse skin when I saw it. Am now constantly reminded of my weakness by a burning horse from hell.

Looks kinda neat at night though. Urgh.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Oh hey, found another thread in which I'll probably thrive!
I'm a huge AC fan, finished 1st chapter of The Fate of Atlantis a few days ago, and I quite loved it, can't wait for the 2nd chapter! I otherwise finished everything else (main game and 1st DLC) and platinumed it!

Z5LW0Sj.jpg

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Origins and didn't believe it could get better, and then I started Odyssey! Wow!

Fantastic game. And Kasandra's model is done so well. Her legs look amazing. Her painted on undies (which you see while swimming) are really weird. They run out of time to do a proper texture?

BTW, I did thr first War battle. Weakened the opposing army and all that. Now I'm at a new island and can burn the food and kill the men, but why? I have. I reason to do that. First time I was trying to get access to The Wolf...

Whom I let live. And I told the mission giver he died. Wouldn't that be verifiable that I didn't kill him? Wouldn't be Wolf go back to work? Also, I was supposed to kill a leader for the war but KOed him and recruited him for my crew. Why would he do this? And again I told people he died.... it really takes me out of the story.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
just finished the main story was well. at first i was like "wha? that's it" but actually found it refreshing, it was mostly a family story not so much about taking down an evil syndicate, obtaining a mcguffin ect all in some epic final showdown

a little sly on ubi's part though, i imagine the low key ending was conducive to players buying the DLC right away to keep on truckin
There's actually like 3 endings to the game. It's a unique way of doing it that works well I think. There's that one, the one for the cultists, and then another main plot line.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaawww sometimes I hate myself. Just started the game and am like 3 hours in. Bought the game for cheap. HAD to buy that stupid horse skin when I saw it. Am now constantly reminded of my weakness by a burning horse from hell.

Looks kinda neat at night though. Urgh.

I've bought a few of the cosmetics. No shame. Some of them are pretty neat.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I've bought a few of the cosmetics. No shame. Some of them are pretty neat.
I ride a pretty pretty unicorn that leaves rainbows when it runs.

Yeah it's just... so expensive, I think the horse skin alone costs 7,50€. That's too much and I usually am rather against such mtx in singleplayer games.

And while I really love the game - actually stopped playing Sekiro (as a Souls veteran) because Odyssey is so good - I constantly think of buying the underworld armor set. It looks great but I won't do it because that would just destroy my enjoyment of the game. It's about always getting new loot and there are a lot of armor sets and weapons. Sticking to one armor set would make the hunt for new loot less fun. Don't like this effect of the mtx.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah it's just... so expensive, I think the horse skin alone costs 7,50€. That's too much and I usually am rather against such mtx in singleplayer games.

And while I really love the game - actually stopped playing Sekiro (as a Souls veteran) because Odyssey is so good - I constantly think of buying the underworld armor set. It looks great but I won't do it because that would just destroy my enjoyment of the game. It's about always getting new loot and there are a lot of armor sets and weapons. Sticking to one armor set would make the hunt for new loot less fun. Don't like this effect of the mtx.
Not to encourage MTX use, but if you like how it looks you can just get the armour so you have it unlocked for transmog then continue to use other armour. There'd be no reason to stick to using it.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Not to encourage MTX use, but if you like how it looks you can just get the armour so you have it unlocked for transmog then continue to use other armour. There'd be no reason to stick to using it.

Huh didn't know that, it's a great feature! Thanks for the heads up.

I'm just debating with myself, because the underworld armor is a legendary item and has great stats and buffs. I wouldn't want to use other gear and would try to upgrade it all the time. It's also fun to find new gear with new looks and slowly improving stats, manage the different buffs etc. I feel like buying the armor would strip that part from the game.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama

I have both and haven't spent a dime on mtx.
Abraxas is a quest chain reward and I spent the free store currency the game gives you on the unicorn. Other things I've purchased with the blue stones from the in-game merchant.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yeah you shouldn't have spent money on the firey horse from hell skin, it's a free quest reward during the game :/