• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Im amazed im liking the ship stuff here more than Black Flag, the crew and lieutenant thing add a nice personal connection to your ship.
hopefully if Skull & Bones is being rebooted its an element of customization they add.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Gold edition is $43 dollars right now on GMG. Do you guys think this game will get significantly cheaper soon? I'm thinking about buying AC3 Remastered now and then buying Odyssey later.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Gold edition is $43 dollars right now on GMG. Do you guys think this game will get significantly cheaper soon? I'm thinking about buying AC3 Remastered now and then buying Odyssey later.
If you have 100 points, you can get a 20% coupon for the Uplay store; when it's on sale, you can get the ultimate edition for $31 (I don't remember the price for gold, but it'll be cheaper than that since the base sale price for ultimate was $39). Also, gold and ultimate come with the AC3 remaster for free (it's included in the season pass).

But if you're in a region where Uplay charges more (those are the US prices), GMG may be a better discount for you.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Its kind of crazy a major publisher is still updating/supporting and releasing DLC for a fully single player game months after release in this day and age. And I'm still playing and enjoying it months after release.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
How is the characters not having any personality a common complaint?
Kassandra is great, just got to the singing scene.

Yeah this is crazy to me too. Kassandra has some amazing one liners and facial reactions later in the game too.

I enjoy the subtlety they can convey with the animation alone these days.

Also- I'm not sure why people were so angry that it took forever to level. I'm closing in on 50 (which was the original cap) and I still have like 12 cultists, all of the sages minus one and I haven't even been to Sparta yet, let alone a huge number of islands. If anything I'm leveling too fast!

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Also- I'm not sure why people were so angry that it took forever to level. I'm closing in on 50 (which was the original cap) and I still have like 12 cultists, all of the sages minus one and I haven't even been to Sparta yet, let alone a huge number of islands. If anything I'm leveling too fast!

depending on your playstyle it can be quite the steep incline. but unless i'm misunderstanding how the scaling works it should be mostly a non issue, was for me anyway and it took forever to get to 50

yeah it's a great value, go for it unless you're just really meh on playing Odyssey anytime this year

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
What is the current level cap? Is it 70 or 99? I'm seeing conflicting info.

Definitely not 70, I'm currently 75 or 76 at the end of the first episode of Fate of Atlantis.

My main complaint about Legacy of the First Blade is the XP is so low, over the course of all 3 episodes I leveled up like twice. Since starting Fate of Atlantis I've gone up 5-6 levels in just the first episode.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely not 70, I'm currently 75 or 76 at the end of the first episode of Fate of Atlantis.

My main complaint about Legacy of the First Blade is the XP is so low, over the course of all 3 episodes I leveled up like twice. Since starting Fate of Atlantis I've gone up 5-6 levels in just the first episode.

Interesting. What level were you when you finished the main three story pillars?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I remember finishing the game when they had not even raised the cap level once, and I was stuck at level 50 for a long time, and felt scammed and pissed when they didn't retroactively make me level up when the 1st level cap raise happened. It felt a bit unfair to see my SO playing the game a month of two after me, and getting to be higher level than I was because he just waited some months to play the game while I played it day one (or even day minus 3 since I have the Gold edition and could start playing before the official launch). I think my current level is around 65/67 and that is just plain ridiculous knowing I completed absolutely everything in the same (sinked more than 170 hours into it), and should be way higher than that, had I waited to play the game instead of... playing it as soon as it was available. My love for the game didn't feel rewarded by that move for sure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember finishing the game when they had not even raised the cap level once, and I was stuck at level 50 for a long time, and felt scammed and pissed when they didn't retroactively make me level up when the 1st level cap raise happened. It felt a bit unfair to see my SO playing the game a month of two after me, and getting to be higher level than I was because he just waited some months to play the game while I played it day one (or even day minus 3 since I have the Gold edition and could start playing before the official launch). I think my current level is around 65/67 and that is just plain ridiculous knowing I completed absolutely everything in the same (sinked more than 170 hours into it), and should be way higher than that, had I waited to play the game instead of... playing it as soon as it was available. My love for the game didn't feel rewarded by that move for sure.

They awarded players who were already at level 50 with a boat load of ability points which could be used on the mastery levels. And I mean a lot of points.

Also the game scales to level so you're level is really kind of irrelevant to enjoying the game once you have enough ability points to get all the skills you want.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
They awarded players who were already at level 50 with a boat load of ability points which could be used on the mastery levels. And I mean a lot of points.

Also the game scales to level so you're level is really kind of irrelevant to enjoying the game once you have enough ability points to get all the skills you want.

The ability points that were given to me after the cap level update amounted to the same number of ability points my SO got after he finished the game long after the cap level update. We counted and compared them, just FYI. So whether you completed the game after of before the cap raise update, we all get the same amount of ability points, it's fair for everyone. But it's not like I have an edge either compared to people who finished the game after the cap raise update like you're implying, not at all.

Also, the scaling indeed helps making this less unpleasant, but still sucks when you're into getting to the very top of the mercenary list, since that system actually doesn't scale at all, making my SO more likely to be able to kill mercenaries that I can't even touch because I'm way too low level to even try.
It's little things honestly, but still, it's frustrating. Again, this doesn't feel rewarding as someone who played the game day 1, compared to someone who started after cap level updates.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ability points that were given to me after the cap level update amounted to the same number of ability points my SO got after he finished the game long after the cap level update. We counted and compared them, just FYI. So whether you completed the game after of before the cap raise update, we all get the same amount of ability points, it's fair for everyone. But it's not like I have an edge either compared to people who finished the game after the cap raise update like you're implying, not at all.

Also, the scaling indeed helps making this less unpleasant, but still sucks when you're into getting to the very top of the mercenary list, since that system actually doesn't scale at all, making my SO more likely to be able to kill mercenaries that I can't even touch because I'm way too low level to even try.
It's little things honestly, but still, it's frustrating. Again, this doesn't feel rewarding as someone who played the game day 1, compared to someone who started after cap level updates.

Oh I had forgotten about the mercenaries not scaling. OK yeah that is kinda frustrating. I guess I just haven't felt like I couldn't do anything because I lost experience when they raised the level cap is all. I, like you, kept playing well past hitting the original level cap and probably lost out on a lot of experience. I'm 87 now though and I think the game offers up enough content to let you keep leveling with the daily and weekly quests and everything else.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn it's really 99? That's kind of annoying.

What are people doing about upgrading/engraving? I keep waiting to hit the level cap so I can focus on engraving max level gear but it seems dumb to do so due to the exorbitant expense of upgrading when I receive so much new gear it makes my current stuff obsolete within a level or two.

I'm at level 49 and around 55 hours played and I haven't upgraded or engraved once.

I guess once you finish upgrading the Adrestia there's no other use for mats except to upgrade gear, but with the final tier of upgrades costing like, 200k Drachmae and like 5000 precious gems, that won't be any time soon.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn it's really 99? That's kind of annoying.

What are people doing about upgrading/engraving? I keep waiting to hit the level cap so I can focus on engraving max level gear but it seems dumb to do so due to the exorbitant expense of upgrading when I receive so much new gear it makes my current stuff obsolete within a level or two.

I'm at level 49 and around 55 hours played and I haven't upgraded or engraved once.

I guess once you finish upgrading the Adrestia there's no other use for mats except to upgrade gear, but with the final tier of upgrades costing like, 200k Drachmae and like 5000 precious gems, that won't be any time soon.

You really really don't need to unlock that last upgrade set for the Adrestia. Save your mats and money for upgrading gear and if you really want to you can maybe grab one or two of the Adrestia ones (health and arrows maybe). Those upgrades for the ship aren't worth the cost by any means if you ask me.

As for upgrading gear, once I got to a high enough level the gear upgades started feeling less important. For instance I didn't upgrade my weapon or armor from level 70-80 (which was a lot of playtime) and I barely even noticed until 80 that I was starting to struggle with some enemies health pools.

Edit: I guess I should mention I have like every set of gear in the game, so drops don't really appeal to me very often anymore.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You really really don't need to unlock that last upgrade set for the Adrestia. Save your mats and money for upgrading gear and if you really want to you can maybe grab one or two of the Adrestia ones (health and arrows maybe). Those upgrades for the ship aren't worth the cost by any means if you ask me.

As for upgrading gear, once I got to a high enough level the gear upgades started feeling less important. For instance I didn't upgrade my weapon or armor from level 70-80 (which was a lot of playtime) and I barely even noticed until 80 that I was starting to struggle with some enemies health pools.

Edit: I guess I should mention I have like every set of gear in the game, so drops don't really appeal to me very often anymore.

Interesting. I guess I'll just keep playing and hope that's the case.

Did the naval battles give you any trouble after upgrading to the second highest level Adrestia?

My ship is almost all gold (but no max level upgrades) and some of the naval battles are still pretty brutal. I'm playing on Nightmare for what it's worth.

If I can really mostly ignore the last tier of upgrades, I can start engraving and upgrading my stuff pretty soon then which I'm looking forward to.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I guess I'll just keep playing and hope that's the case.

Did the naval battles give you any trouble after upgrading to the second highest level Adrestia?

My ship is almost all gold (but no max level upgrades) and some of the naval battles are still pretty brutal. I'm playing on Nightmare for what it's worth.

If I can really mostly ignore the last tier of upgrades, I can start engraving and upgrading my stuff pretty soon then which I'm looking forward to.

I did almost every naval battle in the game before the last tier of upgrades was even added to the game. I sometimes have to watch my ass fighting some of the weekly bounty ships that are high level. But I never had any problem with any story related or side quest related ship battles.

I play on Hard, so Nightmare might be a completely different story. Honestly I just spend so little time fighting in my ship compared to fighting on foot that I always saw the ship upgrades as a less important upgrade path.

I have bought a few of the final upgrades and honestly they can be pretty OP. So on Nightmare they may have a higher worth than I'm giving them credit for.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did almost every naval battle in the game before the last tier of upgrades was even added to the game. I sometimes have to watch my ass fighting some of the weekly bounty ships that are high level. But I never had any problem with any story related or side quest related ship battles.

I play on Hard, so Nightmare might be a completely different story. Honestly I just spend so little time fighting in my ship compared to fighting on foot that I always saw the ship upgrades as a less important upgrade path.

I have bought a few of the final upgrades and honestly they can be pretty OP. So on Nightmare they may have a higher worth than I'm giving them credit for.

Eh I initially began on hard and restarted on nightmare after leaving Kephalonia. Unless scaling gets more intense I don't think it's a huge increase in difficulty at all so your advice is probably still good.

I will say that certain enemies absolutely will one-shot you on nightmare. Like a certain one on Crete.

Thanks for all the advice!

Side note- I ended up in Phokis again. Is The Daughters of Lalaia Lost Tale mission worth doing?

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh I initially began on hard and restarted on nightmare after leaving Kephalonia. Unless scaling gets more intense I don't think it's a huge increase in difficulty at all so your advice is probably still good.

I will say that certain enemies absolutely will one-shot you on nightmare. Like a certain one on Crete.

Thanks for all the advice!

Side note- I ended up in Phokis again. Is The Daughters of Lalaia Lost Tale mission worth doing?

Most of the Lost Tales quests are pretty legit little side quests. If you got the time I recommend them. They do vary in length and quality however.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
I have about 85 hrs in at Level 30, I have really hit a wall. I love this game, but Ubi really went crazy with this map.

Any suggestions as I want to complete this to the end, like I have with every single AC, but I am struggling to finish this up.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have about 85 hrs in at Level 30, I have really hit a wall. I love this game, but Ubi really went crazy with this map.

Any suggestions as I want to complete this to the end, like I have with every single AC, but I am struggling to finish this up.

Take a break if you can. If not, try only doing the story missions. With that many hours played I'm surprised you aren't higher level honestly. You can shorten the experience a lot by not doing all of the ? on the map and just heading straight to where you are supposed to.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
Take a break if you can. If not, try only doing the story missions. With that many hours played I'm surprised you aren't higher level honestly. You can shorten the experience a lot by not doing all of the ? on the map and just heading straight to where you are supposed to.

I think I made the mistake for the first half of the game also tacking the side missions, AKA"?". I have also tried to take on a lot of the forts killing everyone at them and completing all of the objectives.

Does it make sense to buy XP? The funny thing is that I had take a few weeks off when Days Gone came out, but I was hoping to get back to this and finally get it wrapped up.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I made the mistake for the first half of the game also tacking the side missions, AKA"?". I have also tried to take on a lot of the forts killing everyone at them and completing all of the objectives.

Does it make sense to buy XP? The funny thing is that I had take a few weeks off when Days Gone came out, but I was hoping to get back to this and finally get it wrapped up.

I never felt like I needed the XP booster to get through the game. If you think it will help you finish the game and you have the money I suppose you could. I don't even know how much it costs. The XP booster will only really make a difference if you don't think you can finish the main story without doing a ton more side content at this point.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
I never felt like I needed the XP booster to get through the game. If you think it will help you finish the game and you have the money I suppose you could. I don't even know how much it costs. The XP booster will only really make a difference if you don't think you can finish the main story without doing a ton more side content at this point.

It's crazy as I look at the rest of the missions, those are at levels in the mid-40's so I fear its going to be a long haul.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Where is the option that I can turn the scaling down?
Go into the options once you've loaded a save. It's in the gameplay options somewhere (it should be in the same place where the difficulty is).

IIRC, the "light" setting is a -4 modifier (so things can be up to 4 levels below your own level). Each section of the map has its own base level, so you'll still need to level up to do later stuff, but a lot of places will no longer be exactly your level and will be extremely easy to clear (a 4-level advantage makes a huge difference in difficulty).

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
Go into the options once you've loaded a save. It's in the gameplay options somewhere (it should be in the same place where the difficulty is).

IIRC, the "light" setting is a -4 modifier (so things can be up to 4 levels below your own level). Each section of the map has its own base level, so you'll still need to level up to do later stuff, but a lot of places will no longer be exactly your level and will be extremely easy to clear (a 4-level advantage makes a huge difference in difficulty).

I will do that this evening to see how much it helps, as awesome as this game is, I am ready to get through this.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Can't say enough how overwhelming the sheer amount of content in this game is. So many icons, my head explodes. I want to see everything, did all the question marks in W3. Won't be able to do it here though, because I don't have 200 hours of time. Will have to streamline my playthrough, otherwise this will be my only game this year.

Love the feature of adjusting and changing the look of the loot.
Also stealth killing an entire huge base is a ton of fun.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Can't say enough how overwhelming the sheer amount of content in this game is. So many icons, my head explodes. I want to see everything, did all the question marks in W3. Won't be able to do it here though, because I don't have 200 hours of time. Will have to streamline my playthrough, otherwise this will be my only game this year.

Love the feature of adjusting and changing the look of the loot.
Also stealth killing an entire huge base is a ton of fun.
Are you playing in exploration mode or classic mode?

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Exploration mode. But I like to collect all available quests and then go into the wild and do it. Board on the ship + board in a town + story quests = quest overflow. As I said, I really have to ignore some stuff.
LOL, yeah, I played through just doing things I happened to run across on my way to a main quest instead of trying to 100% everything as I went... Gotta say I think I had more fun with the game because of it.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
LOL, yeah, I played through just doing things I happened to run across on my way to a main quest instead of trying to 100% everything as I went... Gotta say I think I had more fun with the game because of it.

I believe this is the right approach. But once I reach a fast travel point and it unlocks all the question marks in the area.... I need to run there. It's hard for me to skip them, but I have to restrain myself.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Checked in with my playtime yesterday, I'm at 24 hours played and I'm only level 21. Need to step the pace up and stop investigating every ? I see

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Mhm I'm very early in the game actually, just finished the Wolf of Sparta quest. The game feels a bit grindy in spots. 5000 drachme for a loadout slot for your equipment is bullshit, upgrading the level for the DLC armors and weapon I paid for is expensive, the boat upgrading as well (drachme and materials).

I guess the game will give you a lot of stuff during the story and quests later on, but I'm using cheat engine to upgrade my DLC gear every 3 levels (two armors and one spear) because it would not be possible otherwise and that stuff was really expensive. Thank God for PC gaming.

The game is gorgeous in spots, I will share some screens in the PC Screenshot thread later after work. It handles pop in rather well. Still, playing the game I can't wait for next gen. Textures and details in the distance are very simple and I notice it more and more.

Combat is still too easy even on hard, will bump it up because I love to stealth kill a base but it takes way more time than just rushing in and fighting everyone. Need extra motivation to be sneaky.

Kassandra is great by the way. Love her.

Last edited:

Garwoofoo

Oct 28, 2017
Of course the combat seems too easy if you're using a cheat program to upgrade your items more quickly than you're supposed to.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mhm I'm very early in the game actually, just finished the Wolf of Sparta quest. The game feels a bit grindy in spots. 5000 drachme for a loadout slot for your equipment is bullshit, upgrading the level for the DLC armors and weapon I paid for is expensive, the boat upgrading as well (drachme and materials).

I guess the game will give you a lot of stuff during the story and quests later on, but I'm using cheat engine to upgrade my DLC gear every 3 levels (two armors and one spear) because it would not be possible otherwise and that stuff was really expensive. Thank God for PC gaming.

The game is gorgeous in spots, I will share some screens in the PC Screenshot thread later after work. It handles pop in rather well. Still, playing the game I can't wait for next gen. Textures and details in the distance are very simple and I notice it more and more.

Combat is still too easy even on hard, will bump it up because I love to stealth kill a base but it takes way more time than just rushing in and fighting everyone. Need extra motivation to be sneaky.

A note on upgrades - I'm 80 hours in and still haven't bothered with a extra slot upgrade. It's a convenience but hardly necessary.

Early on, forget about upgrading gear entirely. The game throws so much new stuff at you your current setup becomes obsolete every other mission. This is more of a late game activity. In the meantime, break down all your items instead of selling them. Drachmae comes easy but materials do not. Use these materials to get the Adrestia upgraded. At least focus on the hull first and foremost, followed by arrow power, and then ram and rower stamina. Those last two go hand-in-hand.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Of course the combat seems too easy if you're using a cheat program to upgrade your items more quickly than you're supposed to.

Don't know about that. I'm often using normal armor and weapons that I find on the fly because they are higher level than the DLC stuff and because I want some variety. The blocking and dodging is so generous, attacks are telegraphed from a mile. I guess playing Sekiro prior to this made me very aware of this.

A note on upgrades - I'm 80 hours in and still haven't bothered with a extra slot upgrade. It's a convenience but hardly necessary.

Early on, forget about upgrading gear entirely. The game throws so much new stuff at you your current setup becomes obsolete every other mission. This is more of a late game activity. In the meantime, break down all your items instead of selling them. Drachmae comes easy but materials do not. Use these materials to get the Adrestia upgraded. At least focus on the hull first and foremost, followed by arrow power, and then ram and rower stamina. Those last two go hand-in-hand.

Yeah I ran around without upgrading for five levels because you constantly get new stuff. Wasn't worth the time running to a merchant.
I'm now only investing in the ship, thanks for the tip makes sense.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Welp. I started First Blade a few nights ago, and just now got to the start of Bloodline. I was prepping myself for the controversial stuff. But man. I was not prepared.

Holy shit, Ubisoft. That is..... really not how you fucking write. I'm all sorts of shocked, since Odyssey has some of the most ridiculously inclusive writing I've seen. They just sort of.... shitcan it all for a plot that is:

a) Unnecessary. We don't need to see how Kassandra/Alexios further the bloodline. At all. And everyone is happy if you play it like that. If you really want to, you have Kassandra/Alexios protecting a baby Assassin ala T2-style.

b) Poorly set-up. Everything in the AC series (or at least all the bigger concepts) is so wrapped up in Every Other Game that they are not properly explained in the current game you are playing. Now, the Origins/Odyssey games have taken great strides to correct this, but it still exists. But for fucks sake, it wouldn't kill anyone for there to be a scene or two where Kassandra/Alexios argues violently with Darius over the "choice". You could have had an amazing DLC chapter exploring how being an Assassin destroys your life, both biologically and literally. That would have been amazing. But no. First Blade Episode 3 essentially make the Eagle Bearer and his love interest a broodmare/broodmother, and it's really no different from The Handmaiden's Tale.

As much as I disliked FB 3's plot, I did enjoy how it does really end Kassandra/Alexio's story.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017

Totally agreed this game is beautiful. I'm running mine off of a 1080Ti and I've got the settings pretty high at 1440p.

It is quite an overwhelming game, probably best to focus on main quest or risk burnout.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Cool, thanks!

Haven't finished the first part yet - close, but not quite, but since I heard it ends abruptly, I'm waiting for the 2nd part to drop before finishing the first.

Though I'm not a fan of the missions where you have to go around and find people to liberate and stuff, it's mostly all I have left to do - it's kind of a pain getting around in the new area.