• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yeah that DLC area is as beautiful as it is a pain in the ass to navigate in. They probably knew it since they added those elevators, but that was nowhere near enough not to make some quests obnoxious to do.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Cool, thanks!

Haven't finished the first part yet - close, but not quite, but since I heard it ends abruptly, I'm waiting for the 2nd part to drop before finishing the first.

Though I'm not a fan of the missions where you have to go around and find people to liberate and stuff, it's mostly all I have left to do - it's kind of a pain getting around in the new area.
Funnily enough you could do that as soon as you arrive, or from when you got the first upgrade for the Staff of Hermes Trismegistus.

I've also added a mod that makes all cutscenes play in 21:9 ultra widescreen. It's so much better. Only once has the camera been affected by some object blocking the view. I don't know why devs don't have this as an option for 21:9 players.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that DLC area is as beautiful as it is a pain in the ass to navigate in. They probably knew it since they added those elevators, but that was nowhere near enough not to make some quests obnoxious to do.
They put plenty of ziplines around too, but man it was annoying when the quickest way to an objective was just to climb up a rockface.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Finally finished the game today (and I got it at launch...). Got the good ending and cleared the Cultist screen. Level 62, 106 hours, time to take another break before going after the Lost Tales and DLCs.

Also, I randomly stumbled upon and killed an Ancient. Is it DLC related?

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
How is the Atlantis DLC? Is it worth picking up? Are there genuinely new architectural styles and cities to explore (like in the Curse of the Pharaohs DLC) or no? I really enjoyed the base game though it did start to get a little repetitive towards the end.

Also, are there any deals on AC Origins right now? I have it for PS4 Pro but wouldn't mind picking it up my on Xbox One X for the added resolution and graphical enhancements.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
How is the Atlantis DLC? Is it worth picking up? Are there genuinely new architectural styles and cities to explore (like in the Curse of the Pharaohs DLC) or no? I really enjoyed the base game though it did start to get a little repetitive towards the end.
Yeah, there's a whole new region to explore, but it's not on the world map. It's an area you have to teleport to.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Alright now while enemies are still rather simple to fight (I have special builds for sneaking and fighting, even one for fighting Spartans because I have items with bonuses), that legendary bear kicked my ass multiple times. Well to be exact he didn't, rather his minions caused me problems because they just ganged up on me while I was focusing on him. Have found some items with +10% damage on animals and finally invested in the second wind skill - that skill is so overpowered and made it a lot more manageable.

I like the possibility of different builds and how granular you can get.

The bounty system can get rather weird. I was fighting a leader and three bounty hunters showed up. What a messy fight that was, crazy.
After that, I attacked a fort and while sneaking around, a hunter with a jaguar entered the fort. The Atheneans weren't bothered by him at all. I released two boars and a fight started, I was hiding but the hunter somehow went exactly where I was and I was dragged into the fight. It was funny, everyone attacked each other, the Atheneans, the hunter and his jaguar, the boars and I.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
They put plenty of ziplines around too, but man it was annoying when the quickest way to an objective was just to climb up a rockface.

Yeah, I ended up climbing. A LOT. Also I remember a specific quest with ziplines joining different high peaks with one another, and I was pissed when I realized that to be able to climb up on a structure to collect something, I took the wrong zipline from the wrong peak, and had to fall down and climb back up all over again. I kinda cursed the level designer who thought that was a good idea to do that kind of thing in an area that is already frustrating to reach and navigate into.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I played this for 15 hrs when it first came out and then drifted off for some reason, maybe the military shenanigans at the beginning.

I decided to pick it up again last night and I've already put another 7 hrs in. It's a remarkable achievement in an open world game. The sheer scope and detail of everything is truly amazing. Absolutely beautiful on the 1X/4K. And it's fun. Great game.

I'm not a completionist, and i see that there are 3 different main quest lines. For me, the Family One is what I'm concentrating on, and I may only finish that. Is that considered the "main" main quest?

Fantastic game.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the main quest last night after putting almost 80 hours into the game. It started quite good, I definitely enjoyed some of it, and it was pretty funny sometimes, but it just got less and less interesting for me as the game went on and the ending was totally underwhelming, maybe among the worst for an AC game. In the end it feels like another Ubisoft game that suffers from too much bloat. I hope I'd finished before Red Dead II, that game is a masterpiece.

I've bought the season pass, so I'm still going to play all the DLC. I have a feeling I'll have a newfound appreciation for Assassin's Creed III.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Heh... I was under the impression the entirety of the Atlantis DLC was already out. after i finished episode 1 (which i thought was the whole thing) i was so confused.

but more is on the way, cool. elysium was cool but half baked... i thought if only there were new "maps" to accompany this it'd be worthwhile. looks like i got my wish. and i can wrap up base game/legacy of the first blade stuff in the meantime

damn i love this game. definitely nabbing the gold edition for viking asscreed, no hesitation

yeah its a whole new thing, groundwork is pretty much there for a full-on sequel but being multi-part DLC it's understandably abbreviated. the burn out persists though, nearing the end i had to force myself to wrap it up

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Huh so I'm level 20 atm. Four level 20 and one lvl 35 bears just attacked an outpost with six soldiers. That level 35 bear wiped them out, wow.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played this for 15 hrs when it first came out and then drifted off for some reason, maybe the military shenanigans at the beginning.

I decided to pick it up again last night and I've already put another 7 hrs in. It's a remarkable achievement in an open world game. The sheer scope and detail of everything is truly amazing. Absolutely beautiful on the 1X/4K. And it's fun. Great game.

I'm not a completionist, and i see that there are 3 different main quest lines. For me, the Family One is what I'm concentrating on, and I may only finish that. Is that considered the "main" main quest?

Fantastic game.

The family story line is the "main" quest. I think the endings of the other two story quest chains are better, as well as offer some of the best content in the game. It doesn't take much work to finish the other two story lines if you finish the main one first. I highly recommend beating all three if you aren't burnt out.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Man this game is immense. I still have story stuff to do in Athens, and I've already hit 32 hours. Game is great, though. I'm actually really liking the mercenary system. They've caused some super chaotic battles when they've shown up at random lol

Is there a preferred order to completing the three main questlines? A friend has told me family quest first, then Atlantis, then the cult.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man this game is immense. I still have story stuff to do in Athens, and I've already hit 32 hours. Game is great, though. I'm actually really liking the mercenary system. They've caused some super chaotic battles when they've shown up at random lol

Is there a preferred order to completing the three main questlines? A friend has told me family quest first, then Atlantis, then the cult.

I think that is the intended order, but I did Cult before Atlantis and I didn't even realize I had done it out of order. I think there is like a 1 second flash of a scene from the Atlantis ending in the Cult ending, which is why people say to do them in that order.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I got burnt out on this game when I first started; just open world fatigue after plowing through RDR2, Spider-Man and God of War in a relatively short time frame. Well my Internet was down last night so I figured, OK, let's hop back into ancient Greece and have some jolly sea-faring adventures. Turns out AC Odyssey doesn't work in offline mode on uPlay (or at least it wouldn't for me). Is there some way to allow that so if I lose internet again, I can actually play the products I've legally purchased? I ended up playing Firewatch instead (because Steam is perfectly content to let you play games offline), and it's quite charming.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I got burnt out on this game when I first started; just open world fatigue after plowing through RDR2, Spider-Man and God of War in a relatively short time frame. Well my Internet was down last night so I figured, OK, let's hop back into ancient Greece and have some jolly sea-faring adventures. Turns out AC Odyssey doesn't work in offline mode on uPlay (or at least it wouldn't for me). Is there some way to allow that so if I lose internet again, I can actually play the products I've legally purchased? I ended up playing Firewatch instead (because Steam is perfectly content to let you play games offline), and it's quite charming.

I believe Uplay has an offline mode which you can set to default when it starts if you want. Not sure if it plays nice with Steam's offline mode etc. though.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I believe Uplay has an offline mode which you can set to default when it starts if you want. Not sure if it plays nice with Steam's offline mode etc. though.
I did that and was running Uplay in offline mode at the time. Wouldn't let me open Odyssey without connecting to online functions. Is there a way to disable that within AC Odyssey, or is it just a "you can't play this offline, sorry" sort of deal. Cause that's kind of a bummer (I'm usually connected to the Internet, but it's Comcast, so outages happen from time to time).

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
The family story line is the "main" quest. I think the endings of the other two story quest chains are better, as well as offer some of the best content in the game. It doesn't take much work to finish the other two story lines if you finish the main one first. I highly recommend beating all three if you aren't burnt out.

God info, thanks

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did that and was running Uplay in offline mode at the time. Wouldn't let me open Odyssey without connecting to online functions. Is there a way to disable that within AC Odyssey, or is it just a "you can't play this offline, sorry" sort of deal. Cause that's kind of a bummer (I'm usually connected to the Internet, but it's Comcast, so outages happen from time to time).

That seems weird because I know you can play on other platforms (PS4 and Xbox) without being online. I lose internet occasionally to weather and it just pops up saying you won't have access to network features like photos and the store without online. But I can still play.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

It's probably something dumb like you have to be online when you enable offline mode so the game can do a last minute license check (basically you have to magically predict the outage).

Not sure if that's exactly accurate but I bet it's something like that. I have Comcast too and feel your pain.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

Is the Hades DLC out yet? I keep looking at the PSN Store and nothing... :(

I just checked and I don't see it in my PSN Store yet either. I however see it as a new addon when I check the store ingame, but I can't get it, it says it's unavailable at the moment.

EDIT: Ok so apparently there's a tiny problem with the PS4 availability, they're working on it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously? I have rarely seen a video so spoilerish... I recommend not to watch it.

All right.
Seeing Phoïbé again is really a pinch in the heart. I also saw that Brasidas is there, which is really a good thing.

Curious to see what the area will be for episode 3

To be fair it is for a DLC that takes place after the game and is coming out almost a year after the game did. So spoilers are pretty expected I'd say .....

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
In case people were still wondering, the PS4 issue has been solved!

I managed to download the DLC just fine now, sadly I won't be able to play it before a couple of days, but at least it's there waiting for me to have some free time!

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to impressions on this

Haven't had the chance to play even episode 1 yet. Was hoping by the time all three are out I could jump in and it'd feel like a full-blown sequel. Guess that depends on how lengthy it ends up being.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to impressions on this

Haven't had the chance to play even episode 1 yet. Was hoping by the time all three are out I could jump in and it'd feel like a full-blown sequel. Guess that depends on how lengthy it ends up being.
They each have a lot of content if that's what you're interested in. As well as their own maps, each made up of three small regions. So far Episode 2 seems very similar to the last episode in terms of content. Only it takes place in Hades instead of the more heavenly atmosphere of Elysium from Ep.1.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not super down with where the new DLC starts. Feels like something that should have ended the previous dlc and not a challenge to face when you jump back in after a month off.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
First quest I picked up pissed me off for a hot second at the end.

They brought Phoibe back and have a pretty lengthy quest chain with her only to kill her again

They bring her back again but goddamn why bother with the fake out

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
just finished it. all in all, i liked it. did feel significantly shorter than any other episode, and the Underworld wasn't that interesting visually, but i guess it's intended.
cant disagree with
the criticism of the fake out with Phoebe. felt unnecessary.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I think almost everything about episode 2 is a downgrade from episode 1. The main "quest" is just more mercenaries with a handful of side quests that aren't super interesting outside maybe 1 or 2 bits and the story is wrapped up so quick that it just doesn't seem all that interesting. The zone is ugly as it gets when compared to Elysium which is a shame.

I'm a little letdown that we have to wait another 6 weeks for the final episode since this one was such a disappointment for me.

There's also no real resolution to
Poseidon and Hades' bets

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i was under the impression the underworld would look way cooler than this. thought it'd be a riff on elysium's ancient sci fi motif but this is more brown than OG asscreed 3

what a buzzkill tbh. but i only put in an hour or two , i'll see where it goes.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if its just my mind playing tricks on me, but after the last patch (and DLC2 download) it feels like the initial load etc is a bit faster than it was before.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i was under the impression the underworld would look way cooler than this. thought it'd be a riff on elysium's ancient sci fi motif but this is more brown than OG asscreed 3

what a buzzkill tbh. but i only put in an hour or two , i'll see where it goes.

When I saw that the 2nd DLC was going to be the dark side of the underworld I knew that it was gonna be decisive for people after the brightness and fantastic color work of Elysium. I almost wonder if they should have just went with more reds and fire over the dull browns they chose to go with.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's you. It does seem to be a bit quicker. Finally.

I am on a PS4 Pro w/ an external USB SSD. Have had the game on the same SSD since day 1 but since yesterday it's feeling a fair few seconds quicker to reach the main menu from before. The in-game load seem marginally better but not as notable as the main menu one's.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Man, a powered and engraved up Rush Assassination ability is just freaking incredible. Takes out 5 guys within seconds and counts as stealth kill (auto loot) to boot.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Playing through the base game and loving it.

Quick question: if I kill all of the cultists that are exposed (Medusa symbol on map), will I automatically work towards the end of that storyline? Do some of the inner circle require additional detective work, or will all of them get eventually exposed on the map while playing through Family mainline plot?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through the base game and loving it.

Quick question: if I kill all of the cultists that are exposed (Medusa symbol on map), will I automatically work towards the end of that storyline? Do some of the inner circle require additional detective work, or will all of them get eventually exposed on the map while playing through Family mainline plot?

Some you will encounter as part of the story, for some you will get a clue or two as part of your quests but for the rest of the clues you will need to do extra detective work based on the clues.

Some, you'll just run into the world without even realizing that. For example, I was in a city and just running around. Suddenly noticed one NPC got the "Hold X to critical assisinate" message pop up when I ran past it. It caught my eye because the game doesn't do that for every NPC, only for potential hostiles (soldiers, hunters, mercs etc) so I quick saved and assassinated that person .. turned out it was one of the cultist ... I just killed a cultist with zero clues and 100% luck.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Some you will encounter as part of the story, for some you will get a clue or two as part of your quests but for the rest of the clues you will need to do extra detective work based on the clues.

Some, you'll just run into the world without even realizing that. For example, I was in a city and just running around. Suddenly noticed one NPC got the "Hold X to critical assisinate" message pop up when I ran past it. It caught my eye because the game doesn't do that for every NPC, only for potential hostiles (soldiers, hunters, mercs etc) so I quick saved and assassinated that person .. turned out it was one of the cultist ... I just killed a cultist with zero clues and 100% luck.

Aha. Great info, thanks. Hopefully not too much detective work. But I don't care, either way. Definitely my favorite AC game after 26 hrs of play.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
I think almost everything about episode 2 is a downgrade from episode 1. The main "quest" is just more mercenaries with a handful of side quests that aren't super interesting outside maybe 1 or 2 bits and the story is wrapped up so quick that it just doesn't seem all that interesting. The zone is ugly as it gets when compared to Elysium which is a shame.

I'm a little letdown that we have to wait another 6 weeks for the final episode since this one was such a disappointment for me.

Isn't that a good thing? A different DLC from the previous one? In terms of graphic design and more focus on the plot instead? I haven't started it yet, and I may be disappointed too, but I guess they want to differentiate them. The split into 3 episodes tends to frustrate players who want immediate answers.
I admit, if in the Blood & Wine extension (Witcher 3), the first part stopped in front of Dettlaff with a fade to black before fighting him for the first time, it would have pissed me off.

Last edited: