• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I'm level 32 and trying to get the spear up to level 5, it's a grind. Think I only have four shards and no uncovered cultists left to take on. Going to start following the clues to find the rest

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Can any of the DLC be enjoyed in the midst of a first playthrough? Maybe just for some new scenery and cool items? Or do they all spoil stuff from the base story?

For context: I'm level 58 and about 60% through the main family story, have killed 20 cultists and I've been through the introduction / reveal of the third main questline.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Strange question maybe, but what happened to all the dolphins in this game? I remember a dozen dolphins swimming in the Adrestia's wake everytime I sailed somewhere. Now only occasionally does one (and only one) follow me and even then he's like "screw you, I'm going home" after a few seconds.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
I just started the first Atlantis mission with the 3 symbols. The content for this game just doesn't end! I haven't done the legacy of first blade things either. Really love the game.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
One of the better photos I made, even if I do say so myself:

dkkya.jpg
Beautiful pic.
Is it just me that thought this was HZD, for just a sec?

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Hey guys! I took a long hiatus from this game after beating the family main quest to mostly play The Division 2, but I've come back now that a lot of the DLC is out. Looking forward to wrapping up the Cult and Atlantis main story lines and then tackling the DLC!

I remember early on that a lot of people complained about how you apparently could not assassinate many enemies in one-shot, and I spent a lot of time trying to debunk that, particularly that your spec/build was very important. I just happened to get a bounty quest last night to take on a level 99 mercenary while level 69 and said, "What the heck, let's try this!" I was pretty satisfied with the result:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Almost level 47. Time to hunt the last beast and finally finish the Daughters of Artemis quest line. The Adrestia just isn't the same without them as my crew.

Beautiful pic.
Is it just me that thought this was HZD, for just a sec?
Thank you!

It does give off that vibe, yeah, although I am not sure why. Maybe the colors?

Speaking of HZD: That was one game I just couldn't get into when I played it two years ago. Mostly because of personal reasons (I was basically too tired to enjoy the game) rather than game related issues. I should give it another chance after I am done with Odyssey. One of the things I disliked about HZD at the time—the lack of focus when you are sent to Meridia (I think it was called) and the game turning into something like a 'quicksand box'—is what I like about Odyssey. I now find myself actively avoiding story bits and large sidequests just because I find the freedom of going anywhere I want, doing anything I want much, more appealing than being locked into a questline. So hey, maybe I will like HZD better this time around.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Almost level 47. Time to hunt the last beast and finally finish the Daughters of Artemis quest line. The Adrestia just isn't the same without them as my crew.

Thank you!

It does give off that vibe, yeah, although I am not sure why. Maybe the colors?

Speaking of HZD: That was one game I just couldn't get into when I played it two years ago. Mostly because of personal reasons (I was basically too tired to enjoy the game) rather than game related issues. I should give it another chance after I am done with Odyssey. One of the things I disliked about HZD at the time—the lack of focus when you are sent to Meridia (I think it was called) and the game turning into something like a 'quicksand box'—is what I like about Odyssey. I now find myself actively avoiding story bits and large sidequests just because I find the freedom of going anywhere I want, doing anything I want much, more appealing than being locked into a questline. So hey, maybe I will like HZD better this time around.

Tbh, I still haven't even got half way into HZD (life keeps getting in the way lol), but it's a great game. I haven't played Odyssey yet, but in some ways HZD reminds me of Origins (including the gorgeous art and HDR).

I'm sure I remember being able to do weapon configuration in HZD, like the different types of arrows etc, and I'm hoping that the next AC will allow us to do the same thing.

Btw, can I ask what the differences are between Origins and Odyssey? E.g., I've heard a fair few people mention that Odyssey is rpg / rpg-lite.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Tbh, I still haven't even got half way into HZD (life keeps getting in the way lol), but it's a great game. I haven't played Odyssey yet, but in some ways HZD reminds me of Origins (including the gorgeous art and HDR).

I'm sure I remember being able to do weapon configuration in HZD, like the different types of arrows etc, and I'm hoping that the next AC will allow us to do the same thing.

Btw, can I ask what the differences are between Origins and Odyssey? E.g., I've heard a fair few people mention that Odyssey is rpg / rpg-lite.
I haven't played Origins, so I can't tell what the differences are between it and Odyssey. But yeah, Odyssey is pretty much an open-world RPG with a big focus on the stealth and parkour the franchise is known for. Not that stealth is mandatory, but the way the bounty system works I feel it is definitely encouraged. There is also a ton of loot to collect, if that is your thing. The armor customization system, unlocked after a few hours, gives you access to all the armor pieces you have collected, so there is a lot of freedom to look the way you want.

As I mentioned, I am personally not a fan of the (side-)questlines. But that is not to say they are badly done. On the contrary, actually: whenever I really push myself to do them, they are very entertaining.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the questline in Olympia yesterday. It was a lot of fun and very well made. On to arkadia now!
I think the main difference between origins and Odyssey is that Odyssey goes full rpg. More customisation, dialogue options(!), a more thought out skill tree, deeper loot and mercenary systems. I like both games and if I have to choose I would say ody because of the phenomenal performance of Kassandra. I catch myself exhausting all dialogue options regularly and even going for odd choices just to put her in a weird spot. I really like the way she was written, cocky and always a funny thing on her tongue.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Wow, I had no idea the sails of the Adrestia changed once again once you upgrade the hull to legendary level. That black/red/gold scheme of the hull itself was already the GOAT and the new black/gold/red sail makes it look even better.

Oct 25, 2017
On part 2 of the Atlantis dlc and
I'm mad at this dummy Alexios for letting Phoibe go off on her own again. Thought he would've learned this lesson by now with her previously dying and all.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Had two hours to play yesterday. Wanted to finally progress the main story because I'm level 34 and just reached Athens. Ended up killing three legendary animals from a side quest and not even touching the story. Again.
This game has just so much stuff around every corner.

Apr 30, 2018
Ok so I completed the june Tales of Greece 'Every Story Has An Ending' but no trophy.. I already completed the main quest and all quests involved so no luck in that as well.

Anyone encountered this problem?

Of and the finale tales will be included next week I assume?

Oct 30, 2017
Playing this on PC in 4k with HDR enable there are times were the visuals blow me away like nothing before. Honestly feels like what Id imagine next gen will be like.

Sorry for the hyperbole but the game is unreal looking at times.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Playing this on PC in 4k with HDR enable there are times were the visuals blow me away like nothing before. Honestly feels like what Id imagine next gen will be like.

Agree. Now add MXAO and clarity via reshade and it will look even better. MXAO is amazing and adds a lot of depth, especially on the vegetation. I will post a comparison when I'm back from work.

Have to turn it of in caves though because it can't deal with the fog.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Agree. Now add MXAO and clarity via reshade and it will look even better. MXAO is amazing and adds a lot of depth, especially on the vegetation. I will post a comparison when I'm back from work.

Have to turn it of in caves though because it can't deal with the fog.

That seems pretty inconvenient to turn off for every instance of fog.

How big a performance hit is MXAO? As it is I can't even come close to maxing this game out at 4K with a 1080 Ti and 6700.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Incredible title

Been watching my SO play for 200+ hours now and I can safely say that an open world game hasn't blown me away this much since BOTW.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Even on the consoles this game looks amazing. I think it's one of the most natural looking and detailed games ever made. If the character models were just a little better I'd say it would be up there with Red Dead 2.

Macello

Oct 25, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
Ok so I completed the june Tales of Greece 'Every Story Has An Ending' but no trophy.. I already completed the main quest and all quests involved so no luck in that as well.

Anyone encountered this problem?

Of and the finale tales will be included next week I assume?
From PlaystationTrophies.org: "If you are having trouble getting this trophy to pop, there is a final quest called "Moving Forward" that will only appear after the completion of the Socrates quest "We Remember" that appears in Athens."

You also have to have completed the main quest, I think.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
That seems pretty inconvenient to turn off for every instance of fog.

How big a performance hit is MXAO? As it is I can't even come close to maxing this game out at 4K with a 1080 Ti and 6700.

It's a hit, but you can turn down the quality of the MXAO. I have a 1080ti and a 8700k and am playing at 1440p 60fps nearly maxed out. But I'm inserting SMAA and FXXA through reshade as well, turned down the ingame AA. Am happy with the IQ, added some clarity, now it looks sharp and clear.

Here you go:

ezgif.com-apng-to-gifpkk2q.gif

Original quality pics:

Vanilla
20190709222609_1okjbe.jpg

Reshade (MXAO, clarity, some sharpening etc.)
20190709222618_1szjdj.jpg

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every normal person would say BOW is on both accounts, but I'm inclined to agree with you, and it's crazy.
Wait, you mean Breath of the Wild, right? Man. I guess I liked BotW in hindsight, but as open-world games go it's bare-bones as fuck. Doesn't hold a candle to Odyssey.

Last edited:

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The mercenaries are really start to piss me off. Guess I'll just start paying my bounty all the time so they stop screwing up my missions.

Do they show up more frequently based on the game's difficulty? Cuz I might lower it if they are related.

Is the one thing in the game that I'm really not liking.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
The mercenaries are really start to piss me off. Guess I'll just start paying my bounty all the time so they stop screwing up my missions.

Do they show up more frequently based on the game's difficulty? Cuz I might lower it if they are related.

Is the one thing in the game that I'm really not liking.

They show up when you misbehave, like the police in GTA. Once you start progressing in the game, it's kind of advantageous to fight them for gear and xp. The worse is when you're sieging a fort and two mercenaries drop in to team up on you while you're fighting 10 guys already.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They show up when you misbehave, like the police in GTA. Once you start progressing in the game, it's kind of advantageous to fight them for gear and xp. The worse is when you're sieging a fort and two mercenaries drop in to team up on you while you're fighting 10 guys already.
Yeah I hate when that happens.

I think forts and the like should render you immune to mercenaries/bounties for as long as you are in the hostile zone. So the game should still keep track of your crimes, the bounty just shouldn't kick in until you leave the area. This should give you time to prepare for the coming fight, evade the mercenaries or pay off your bounty.

Another thing I don't like about bounties and mercenaries is how the bounty level stays the same no matter how many mercenaries you kill. If you kill a mercenary who is hunting you, the wanted meter should drop by 1 level.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah I hate when that happens.

I think forts and the like should render you immune to mercenaries/bounties for as long as you are in the hostile zone. So the game should still keep track of your crimes, the bounty just shouldn't kick in until you leave the area. This should give you time to prepare for the coming fight, evade the mercenaries or pay off your bounty.

Another thing I don't like about bounties and mercenaries is how the bounty level stays the same no matter how many mercenaries you kill. If you kill a mercenary who is hunting you, the wanted meter should drop by 1 level.

It's also kind of fun to defeat the weird looking mercenaries non lethally and make them lieutenants on your ship.
CEDCF576126297E57C5FC706D7C38695356C061E

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's exactly why I don't like how they work. Yesterday I was at a fort and needed to kill a leader. I assassinated him and no one saw nothing. As I was leaving, two mercenaries just popped up behind me and killed me.

It felt so cheap that I stopped playing.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
That's exactly why I don't like how they work. Yesterday I was at a fort and needed to kill a leader. I assassinated him and no one saw nothing. As I was leaving, two mercenaries just popped up behind me and killed me.

It felt so cheap that I stopped playing.

When you go to town and take out everybody plus the mercenaries, it feels nice. That said, you can always just pay them off as you're racking up murders.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I really like it when mercenaries join the fight because it gets crazy really fast. What I don't like is when a high level mercenary joins the fight because he is a show stopper and I have to flee.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I really like it when mercenaries join the fight because it gets crazy really fast. What I don't like is when a high level mercenary joins the fight because he is a show stopper and I have to flee.

I get that sentiment for sure, but I do like how it changes up the gameplay to have to like, bail out and hide, and maybe wait until that mercenary is isolated and then make them pay dearly.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I finished the family story quests and the emotional payoff was really good. I don't know how they did it but the emotional elements in this game are so well made that you almost have to get invested in. I guess it is a combination of really good actors (all hail Kassandra) and powerful face animation technology. It took me around 55 hours and I am lvl 46. Next goal is reaching lvl 50, get the number one spot of the mercenaries and win the arena. There is still so much to do it is crazy.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Remember you can kill the Bounty sponser to get rid of bounties. I often purposely get a 5 rank bounty, kill a dozen mercs then kill the sponsor (sometimes there's 2). Only time it's tricky is when the sponsor is also the Region Leader.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Remember you can kill the Bounty sponser to get rid of bounties. I often purposely get a 5 rank bounty, kill a dozen mercs then kill the sponsor (sometimes there's 2). Only time it's tricky is when the sponsor is also the Region Leader.
Depending on how far in the game you are and how much money you have, it's easier to just pay the bounty.