• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
finished it yesterday. hmmm. it's quite easily one of the best season passes of all time, value wise.
that said, bit disappointed with the design and specially the modern day plot in the last episode.
I sincerely hope they make Layla the main villain of the next AC.
like others have said, ep3 felt rushed. Not really that much main quests, despite the map being interesting, which in turn, makes it a bit bothersome.
liked ep 1, and only problem i had with 2 was the world. it makes, sense, but it felt really uninteresting to look or traverse.

May 9, 2018
Atlantis ep 3 spoiler:

Layla is just the worst. Honestly, I'd rather be a floating tablet again a'la Black Flag & Rogue. Also, AC continues to not know how to deal with modern day villains. The fight with Otso Berg was laughable, he went down in what, 4-5 hits? After so many games of teasing him. Speaking of which, it was nice to see Juno again, and well, Aita, after killing so many sages in other games. Kinda forgot about him because that storyline got dropped too, lmao. But, I dunno. The DLC demystified the Isu way too much for me. It just felt like playing through someone's fanfic at times.
The best Isu callback I thought was

The Shroud, and how much it sucks at doing what it's supposed to do.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The best Isu callback I thought was

The Shroud, and how much it sucks at doing what it's supposed to do.

Yeah, I liked that too.

I just started Ep 2 but Hades feels appropriate to what I imagined a hellscape to be.

I don't disagree, but as a world to explore, it was just far too one note for my liking.

finished it yesterday. hmmm. it's quite easily one of the best season passes of all time, value wise.
that said, bit disappointed with the design and specially the modern day plot in the last episode.
I sincerely hope they make Layla the main villain of the next AC.
like others have said, ep3 felt rushed. Not really that much main quests, despite the map being interesting, which in turn, makes it a bit bothersome.
liked ep 1, and only problem i had with 2 was the world. it makes, sense, but it felt really uninteresting to look or traverse.

Fans are speculating they might make Otso Berg the next modern day protagonist. It would make sense with rumours about the next AC being nordic themed. It's a bit weird to just leave his fate up in the air like that considering he's been chasing after the assassins for so long now.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I liked that too.

I don't disagree, but as a world to explore, it was just far too one note for my liking.

Fans are speculating they might make Otso Berg the next modern day protagonist. It would make sense with rumours about the next AC being nordic themed. It's a bit weird to just leave his fate up in the air like that considering he's been chasing after the assassins for so long now.
read stuff about that theory. i don't read the stuff outside of the games, so i wasn't aware of Otso. I just hope Layla is the villain. irredeemable. scoffed at killing Victoria and guilt tripped Aletheia for a final simulation. She's borderline Aiden Pearce levels of bad, if they don't deal with it, or continue to make her the protagonist.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a few instances where Icarus can't locate the final treasure at a location, no matter how hard I scour for it - it's further worrisome because once or twice it's happened for an underwater location (trophy)

Anyone have a recommendation on this? Pretty shitty clearing a massive fort and not being able to nab that last treasure box and missing out on the clear / xp

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I've had a few instances where Icarus can't locate the final treasure at a location, no matter how hard I scour for it - it's further worrisome because once or twice it's happened for an underwater location (trophy)

Anyone have a recommendation on this? Pretty shitty clearing a massive fort and not being able to nab that last treasure box and missing out on the clear / xp

There was a cult outpost where I discovered the final chest was linked to story progression which was annoying.

I also found a few underwater chests which couldn't be opened until I accepted a quest to clear that location.

I also felt like I couldn't locate a few final items but ultimately it just came down to me not being thorough enough. Keep at it.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I bought the Gold Edition on launch, I'm kinda glad the DLC is underwhelming lol

I love the base game, but after being only half way through with 60 hours clocked in, there is no way I would have been down for more once I finish

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Even though I bought the Gold Edition on launch, I'm kinda glad the DLC is underwhelming lol

I love the base game, but after being only half way through with 60 hours clocked in, there is no way I would have been down for more once I finish
I think there was one underwater location, I believe one near the south coast of Lakonia, where the second treasure chest was located quite a bit away from the icon of the underwater location.

But yeah, Icaros can be weird. Sometimes he isn't able to locate a treasure chest or resource crate in a small building, or sharkes near a underwater location, and other times markers appear for what turn out to be treasure chests and enemies several miles away on the other side of a mountain.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
The last fight in the second episode of Atlantis is bullshit...no wonder less then 2% of people finished it,jesus christ...I hate when a game doest this,looks like I am not playing Ep.3.

Going for a Hunter build and shooting everything with the bow is the way to easily beating everything in this game, I found. I never do melee combat. But Episode 3 is really horrible so far, you're not missing out on much.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The last fight in the second episode of Atlantis is bullshit...no wonder less then 2% of people finished it,jesus christ...I hate when a game doest this,looks like I am not playing Ep.3.
Yeah, that one was a trash fight. I still got through it okay, but it was unnecessarily aggravating. I feel like a lot of the enemies in Fate of Atlantis are overly difficult for no good reason.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm level 33 or so. I keep coming across random quest givers and get the option to ask to add them to my crew. Is there any reason why I'd want to be saying yes? Does that only apply to adding special lieutenants to choose from, in which case I just need 4 good ones yes? Can you tell if this or that merc is better for the crew, and does that count as them being defeated?

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Last dlc was a really mixed bag for me, Atlantis was beautiful and the new gameplay content was neat but it was really short and fetch quest heavy, the modern story was also a hot mess, who is Otso? Why does everyone give Layla shit for killing those grunts when she's an ASSASSIN?
Its a huge bummer how it ends because the base game modern bits are alright.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm level 33 or so. I keep coming across random quest givers and get the option to ask to add them to my crew. Is there any reason why I'd want to be saying yes? Does that only apply to adding special lieutenants to choose from, in which case I just need 4 good ones yes? Can you tell if this or that merc is better for the crew, and does that count as them being defeated?
I almost never recruit random quest givers, unless it somehow works in terms of roleplaying. Like I remember recruiting a woman who was being hunted for supposedly being a witch and I liked her enough to add her to the crew. In terms of gameplay she turned out to be blue quality, so not really that good. But oh well.

I think I also recruited that pirate woman in Phokis, whose own ship had sunk.

You can inspect enemies, including mercs, with Ikaros and the color of their portrait tells you how good they are. Grey and blue are just so-so, but purple enemies offer good bonuses. The best ones are gold, and unlike the other rarities their bonuses actually increase as you level up. I think all mercenaries are purple at minimum, with some of them being gold. Elite type enemies (think of fort commanders, nation leaders, bandit chiefs etc.) are also often purple and sometimes even gold.

The icons next to their name (when you inspect them with Ikaros) denote the bonuses they offer, though it can be hard to tell since it is only a symbol. For what it is worth: you can always recruit someone and then choose not to hire them if the bonuses aren't to your liking.

The game counts recruitment as "killing" the target. In case of mercenaries this means they will disappear from the merc list and, if they were part of a bounty quest, the quest will be completed successfully.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I almost never recruit random quest givers, unless it somehow works in terms of roleplaying. Like I remember recruiting a woman who was being hunted for supposedly being a witch and I liked her enough to add her to the crew. In terms of gameplay she turned out to be blue quality, so not really that good. But oh well.

I think I also recruited that pirate woman in Phokis, whose own ship had sunk.

You can inspect enemies, including mercs, with Ikaros and the color of their portrait tells you how good they are. Grey and blue are just so-so, but purple enemies offer good bonuses. The best ones are gold, and unlike the other rarities their bonuses actually increase as you level up. I think all mercenaries are purple at minimum, with some of them being gold. Elite type enemies (think of fort commanders, nation leaders, bandit chiefs etc.) are also often purple and sometimes even gold.

The icons next to their name (when you inspect them with Ikaros) denote the bonuses they offer, though it can be hard to tell since it is only a symbol. For what it is worth: you can always recruit someone and then choose not to hire them if the bonuses aren't to your liking.

The game counts recruitment as "killing" the target. In case of mercenaries this means they will disappear from the merc list and, if they were part of a bounty quest, the quest will be completed successfully.
Thank you for the very thorough answer.

divination

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing the first episode of the Fate of Atlantis and I've liberated half of the domains in Elysium, but I've killed all of the guards. Is it going to be an issue later in the game that I haven't liberated any guards thus far?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
is the leveling suppose to be slow? I'm 14 hours in and only level 15.
Are you picking up jobs from the boards in towns? I usually grab them and do the ones which are close to me. Some times you can take a bounty to kill a merc or some soldiers or some bandits and you'll be playing normally and get notified of a bunch of XP for finishing that random job you weren't even paying attention to. Or you might see on your map a marker is 100 yards away and it's some politician you picked up a job to kill. One arrow later, bunch of XP. Earlier I went to such a quest, the soldier said blah blah blah kill this person, turns out I already had, instant 10K XP.

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Are you picking up jobs from the boards in towns? I usually grab them and do the ones which are close to me. Some times you can take a bounty to kill a merc or some soldiers or some bandits and you'll be playing normally and get notified of a bunch of XP for finishing that random job you weren't even paying attention to. Or you might see on your map a marker is 100 yards away and it's some politician you picked up a job to kill. One arrow later, bunch of XP. Earlier I went to such a quest, the soldier said blah blah blah kill this person, turns out I already had, instant 10K XP.

yeah, one thing I've noticed that there doesnt seem to be an end to quests. There's overwhelming stuff to be honest, at least for me.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
yeah, one thing I've noticed that there doesnt seem to be an end to quests. There's overwhelming stuff to be honest, at least for me.
The hourglass icon quests are constantly generated. They're like radiant quests in Bethesda games, they can be ignored. And if you ever accidentally complete the objective, you can still hand it in for a reward even if you didn't accept it in the first place.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The only non-story quest I go really go out of my way for is the daily one for 10 of the special blue rocks, I forget what they're called. The rest of the quests I'll pick up but very rarely look at them in my quest log. I just go around the world to new areas, exploring as the game intended, see what's around me, some quests are close by, some I already finished without knowing it, some time out.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
All done I'm disappointed that DLC3 ends with a whimper. DLC1 for Atlantis ended up being the best
I was cheering when Berg showed up but oof was he wasted here.

Some of the future game speculation I see here I like a lot.
245hrs in this game, love it. Now to finally put it to rest.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The only non-story quest I go really go out of my way for is the daily one for 10 of the special blue rocks, I forget what they're called. The rest of the quests I'll pick up but very rarely look at them in my quest log. I just go around the world to new areas, exploring as the game intended, see what's around me, some quests are close by, some I already finished without knowing it, some time out.

Yeah, I might do this. The world is amazing and beautiful.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
is the leveling suppose to be slow? I'm 14 hours in and only level 15.

Kinda, yes lol.

Outside of a permanent XP booster and finishing the story based quests, the fastest way to gain quick XP is completing forts, conquest battles and such. The quick board missions you find can be done within minutes, but their XP rewards are also low. Some of the quests you can find on the random boards are things like "take out 5 spartan ships" etc. Those take more dedicated time of course, but they generally have a very high XP payout.

Be prepared for a very slow leveling up process.

Although you could have gotten a lot of XP over the last few weeks before Ubisoft banned the user created story missions.

On that topic, didn't even realize the third episode of the Atlantis DLC is out !

Really digging that story so far, hoping the third one gives it a decent conclusion.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the second main story line with the artifacts yesterday and
holy shit didn't expect to fight Pythagoras and meet Kassandra in the present time. What a cool ending and I can't wait to play the dlc

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
AC Odyssey has now reached similar status as Sykrim and Witcher 3 for me. A game I could play almost forever. I've been playing this game almost exclusively every day for over half a year and I'm not the least bit tired of it. Every new area I get to, i chase every question mark, do every main side quest. I'm just fully engrossed, I have no idea how close I am to the end and frankly I don't really care.

I'm level 64 currently, 120 ish hours clocked. Can't get enough. A classic for me.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
A typical session: I went looking for the arena earlier. I knew it was at the far SE of the map, so I headed to the landmass there. As soon as I docked, there's a mission to go a nearby island I hadn't visited, so I go there do the mission, tag a viewpoint for later, come back, check out the town, pick up some missions including a bounty on some leader, and there's specific loot in the nearby fort, and the leader is there too, so off to the fort to clear that out, here's a Merc after me, don't want to risk it while clearing a fort so I'll pay that off, scouted out another viewpoint or two, one quest was at the same spot as the viewpoint so that was easy, then I sail off towards where the arena apparently is, take out an enemy ship which gets progress on another quest or two I'm not paying attention to, land and tag another viewpoint, I see a huge statue on a nearby hill above another town in the other direction but I'll end the session for now. About an hour and a half gone, still didn't find the arena, maybe next time. And there are people who call that grinding.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Once I've wrapped up the last DLC and Last Tales I'll probably start a NG+. Guaranteed I won't finish the game again, but it's one I always want to be able to come back to and just fuck around in Ancient Greece every now and again.

Odyssey's definitely gonna be one of my games of the gen and I certainly never expected that.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Once I've wrapped up the last DLC and Last Tales I'll probably start a NG+. Guaranteed I won't finish the game again, but it's one I always want to be able to come back to and just fuck around in Ancient Greece every now and again.
oh man, not me. As soon as that final Lost Tales quest releases, I'm done. Upload that last backup save to PS+ and finally delete Odyssey from the PS4. I wonder how much storage it takes up now with the game and all that DLC.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So .. uh ...

finished the third Atlantis episode.. is there another DLC coming ?

The present-day story isn't finished right ? Altair II people tell Layla that they're coming to get her but it'll take a little while and Layla just goes back in the Animus.

I need closure on the story .. Layla is pretty obviously getting corrupted by the staff's influence and she doesn't seem like a suitable keeper following Kassandra .. come on Ubi .. don't leave me hanging like this for the next mainline game.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
oh man, not me. As soon as that final Lost Tales quest releases, I'm done. Upload that last backup save to PS+ and finally delete Odyssey from the PS4. I wonder how much storage it takes up now with the game and all that DLC.
I checked a few days ago and the game was about 60 GB big on my PS4. I don't know if that includes the DLC expansions, though, since I haven't bought them.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I have all the Season pass content and I'm at 93.38 GB.

L M A O
Haha, holy shit.

Am I glad Ubisoft didn't fuck up the way patches are applied. CoD Black Ops 4 was like 70 GB and every time a patch dropped (at least once a month) you had to have double that amount in free space otherwise you weren't able to download it, even though the patches themselves were only 5 - 10 GB big. Imagine having to do that for Odyssey as well.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am so sad. My uPlay folder became corrupted when I was transferring files between hard drives and I have lost my 120 hour save file, and for some reason not even uPlay Cloud has my save either. When I load the game all I get is a New Game option. This sucks so bad and I just do not have the heart to start this game all over again.

Its a long shot, but if anyone has a save file around about the area when the story takes you to Sparta, I would really appreciate a copy of it on a Google Drive or something. I am aware there is a tool online that can convert saves to your account, so anything in that general area and I may have the heart to continue playing this game.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I've wrapped up all three main storylines and just have side quests to wrap up. What a journey it's been

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just started the final DLC and
the doctor is really dead huh?And then Layla just shrugs "opps i wish that didnt happen" and the game moves on lol

Anyway i don't really care about the modern stuff i guess

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
So .. uh ...

finished the third Atlantis episode.. is there another DLC coming ?

The present-day story isn't finished right ? Altair II people tell Layla that they're coming to get her but it'll take a little while and Layla just goes back in the Animus.

I need closure on the story .. Layla is pretty obviously getting corrupted by the staff's influence and she doesn't seem like a suitable keeper following Kassandra .. come on Ubi .. don't leave me hanging like this for the next mainline game.

Hope you like Vikings.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Just off the DLC, is that really the last one for Odyssey? Weird way to finish it

probably. one of the gripes i have about this kind of DLC, imo should be more of a sequel that caps off base game but no instead you get a bunch of crazy shit and The End see you in a few years with something mostly unrelated

not particularly complaining, got my bang for my buck but as a capstone to 100+ hrs it's "eh... that was cool i guess"

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Man ... what a fucking bummer of an ending to an otherwise excellent post-release roadmap if that is indeed true ..
I have to say, though. I think I preferred the AC: Origins post-release content more in terms of how they released each of the two expansions when they were done instead of taking the episodic approach.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
PsnpGKN.jpg

Level 86 and finally living the dream on my Assassin build.